ruarz

Suggestions for the DayZ standalone - thinking outside of the limitations of an Arma 2 mod.

DayZ game with CryEngine 3 anyone ?

Afaik, cryengine is incapable to handle such map scale as in arma games and if I'm not mistaken it doesnt handle wery well high density maps too plus we would have to wait for standalone like 3 years at least due to engine change.

Post this once the game is actually on track to be standalone, and not while it's still in alpha. You're jumping the gun kind of a lot.

well, its on track now sir

Probably a good idea to reference the people who originally had these ideas.

Also not sure listing stuff that is already in the engine constitutes a suggestion.

Some of these ideas are good, but then I thought that when they were suggested months ago which I guess is why I compiled them into a list already :)

So far pretty much everything in this thread is from me. I don't necessarily claim to be the first person to come up with these ideas but I've reeled all of them off the top of my head. Nothing has been copied from another suggestion thread.

So far I've changed the vehicles section in response to feedback as I was getting a bit carried away. Wtfosaurus also mentioned a generator which has been put in, although rocket had already mentioned this in an interview.

DayZ game with CryEngine 3 anyone ?

It's not built for open world I'm afraid. And it also costs $1.2 million to license for commercial use.

Edited by ruarz

It's not built for open world I'm afraid. And it also costs $1.2 million to license for commercial use.

You don't know what you are talking about in this aspect.

CryEngine 3 is perfectly capable of handling and rendering huge open worlds, I've even imported the Cherno height map into the engine and it works perfectly fine (no objects yet, but they scale nicely to your view and location). It is also a percentage for commercial use if you want to, not a one time, block sum...

You don't know what you are talking about in this aspect.

CryEngine 3 is perfectly capable of handling and rendering huge open worlds, I've even imported the Cherno height map into the engine and it works perfectly fine (no objects yet, but they scale nicely to your view and location). It is also a percentage for commercial use if you want to, not a one time, block sum...

I stand corrected on the open world side of things, I had no idea it could handle that. While researching I stumbled across "Class 3" which is apparently an open world zombie MMO which will run on CryEngine3.

But the last company who applied for it were offered it at $1.2 million. Every company who applies for a license has to sign a non-disclosure agreement, so its not crystal clear exactly how much it costs. Regardless BI is now promoting the Day-Z standalone so its pretty much certain it'll come out on a BI engine, most likely the Virtual Reality Arma III engine. Additionally Rocket and team have their experience with the BI engine. I would love to see Day-Z with CryEngine3 but the chance of that happening is nil.

Edited by ruarz

Just posted this as a new topic thought I would add it here:

So.. I think it would be super fun if the stand alone had classes..

Every Class can do just about anything but only 25-50% as well, so classes are just a boost to that area and maybe one bonus skill unique to that class.

Medic: 100% use of first aid items.

Special: Defibrillator, resurrect player within 10 seconds of death. Single use can find more.

Engineer: 100% use of repair/build skill on buildings/generators/fortifications

Special: Starts with toolbox

Mechanic: 100% use of vehicle parts

Special: turbo kit, add turbo boost to any vehicle ( burns fuel x3)

Soldier: Steady hand with all weapons & shakes less with pain.

Special: Starts with Camo Hunting with a knife

Average Joe: Hardcore Mode, starts with nothing.

Special: Does everything @50%

I would like to see upgradeable buildings and fortifications that can use repair/upgrade generators/power lines to hold a structure and light up areas at night, and engineer would be a boon in this area, also it would encourage team play of a sort and thus the medic would also bonus. You get the idea any thoughts?

Just posted this as a new topic thought I would add it here:

So.. I think it would be super fun if the stand alone had classes..

Every Class can do just about anything but only 25-50% as well, so classes are just a boost to that area and maybe one bonus skill unique to that class.

Medic: 100% use of first aid items.

Special: Defibrillator, resurrect player within 10 seconds of death. Single use can find more.

Engineer: 100% use of repair/build skill on buildings/generators/fortifications

Special: Starts with toolbox

Mechanic: 100% use of vehicle parts

Special: turbo kit, add turbo boost to any vehicle ( burns fuel x3)

Soldier: Steady hand with all weapons & shakes less with pain.

Special: Starts with Camo Hunting with a knife

Average Joe: Hardcore Mode, starts with nothing.

Special: Does everything @50%

I would like to see upgradeable buildings and fortifications that can use repair/upgrade generators/power lines to hold a structure and light up areas at night, and engineer would be a boon in this area, also it would encourage team play of a sort and thus the medic would also bonus. You get the idea any thoughts?

Actually, to build on that i was pondering the idea of a skill system. Naturally the more you do something, the better you *should* become at it. If you spend a lot of time repairing vehicles, your skill would improve, and you would need less materials to repair a vehicle. Same applies with field medic, rifleman etc. A percentage of skill points could be lost on player death, for added bumfuckery.

• Like 1

"So far pretty much everything in this thread is from me. I don't necessarily claim to be the first person to come up with these ideas but I've reeled all of them off the top of my head. Nothing has been copied from another suggestion thread."

In that case you didnt follow the cardinal rule in the Sticky at the top. Use the search function ;)

"So far pretty much everything in this thread is from me. I don't necessarily claim to be the first person to come up with these ideas but I've reeled all of them off the top of my head. Nothing has been copied from another suggestion thread."

In that case you didnt follow the cardinal rule in the Sticky at the top. Use the search function ;)

Were this to be an entire thread on a single suggestion that had already been covered, this would be a valid point. But what we have here is a huge number of suggestions, some covered, some not, but all written with regards to the standalone product rather than the mod.

Edited by ruarz

How about this: occasionally a message is sent to all players (text or audio) via ingame methods (baby monitors, radios or just onscreen) that a 'UN convoy has been attacked and destroyed at *a vague location*', or that a 'civilian news chopper has been downed by bandits at *a vague location*' etc.

Pvp interraction seems to be the most exciting part of DayZ now so this would really help to generate a bit more of that and a bit more 'purpose' to the DayZ day for those who are adepts etc. Rushing to find valuable loot or to loot the looters would certainly help to up the drama of an already incredible experience.

How about this: occasionally a message is sent to all players (text or audio) via ingame methods (baby monitors, radios or just onscreen) that a 'UN convoy has been attacked and destroyed at *a vague location*', or that a 'civilian news chopper has been downed by bandits at *a vague location*' etc.

Pvp interraction seems to be the most exciting part of DayZ now so this would really help to generate a bit more of that and a bit more 'purpose' to the DayZ day for those who are adepts etc. Rushing to find valuable loot or to loot the looters would certainly help to up the drama of an already incredible experience.

The Radio is currently a placeholder item in the mod. Finally we have some sort of use for it! :) I'll add a new section for radios and hopefully we can expand it and see what people think.

I like most of the ideas, especially bases. Your suggestions have been discussed on many threads but yeah, I admit they often got trolled by people who don't give suggestion and always complaint. That's what trolls do. Don't feed them, TS. Just ignore them.

Anyway, your suggestions are good and add more survival realism elements in the game. I hope Rocket and the Devs are gonna make standalone Day Z full of new and awesome realism-gamelike features. :D

I stand correction on the open world side of things, I had no idea it could handle that. While researching I stumbled across "Class 3" which is apparently an open world zombie MMO which will run on CryEngine3.

But the last company who applied for it were offered it at $1.2 million. Every company who applies for a license has to sign a non-disclosure agreement, so its not crystal clear exactly how much it costs. Regardless BI is now promoting the Day-Z standalone so its pretty much certain it'll come out on a BI engine, most likely the Virtual Reality Arma III engine. Additionally Rocket and team have their experience with the BI engine. I would love to see Day-Z with CryEngine3 but the chance of that happening is nil.

Ah, well you can do that. But a percentage is also an option.

Yeah, that is correct, they have already said that they will go with a customized version of the base engine so :)

Thanks ruarz, that idea, like so many I suspect, came out of a discussion in the pub after a bit of a playthrough with friends. We just liked the idea of a heightened sense of purpose, especially since we got decent at the game and don't ever feel like we are threatened any more - except by other players of course. Getting all teh decent players on a loot hunt in a smallish location sounded pretty exciting to us, especially if the items were super rare RPGs etc). The only other thing we could think of at the time was some form of indicator that other players were nearby (within 2km maybe) just to up the tension, and indicated by static on the radio or something....

It's all about the other players when you learn the game after all.

Actually, to build on that i was pondering the idea of a skill system. Naturally the more you do something, the better you *should* become at it. If you spend a lot of time repairing vehicles, your skill would improve, and you would need less materials to repair a vehicle. Same applies with field medic, rifleman etc. A percentage of skill points could be lost on player death, for added bumfuckery.

A small part of me is in favour of some subtly implemented skill/leveling system. If you can do something but someone else can't it would encourage cooperation. Perhaps if you die you retain your skills but not your gear, perhaps not. If anything at all I think it should just be left up to skills, a classes or profession system wouldn't fit. What sort of character you are would be determined by how you play rather than a preset.

The other part of me says HA. No. I'm an original Arma player, what is this World of Warcraft? Do we really want to reward people who sit at home grinding skills and leveling, or do we want to reward skilled players who use tactics and cunning? Do we want the game to be dominated by shitty little kids and people who can't be arsed to work, who have huge swathes of spare time in which to repeatedly kill cows? What about those who can only grab an hour or so after work? The skills should be inherent in the gameplay as it is a skill based game.

As a side note Rocket has said in interviews he's currently not in favour of skills, leveling or classes. So I guess my ambivalence is irrelevant.

Edited by ruarz

A small part of me is in favour of some subtly implemented skill/leveling system. If you can do something but someone else can't it would encourage cooperation. Perhaps if you die you retain your skills but not your gear. If anything at all I think it should just be left up to skills, a classes or profession system wouldn't fit. What sort of character you are would be determined by how you play rather than a preset.

The other part of me says HA. No. I'm an original Arma player, what is this World of Warcraft? Do we really want to reward people who sit at home grinding skills and leveling, or do we want to reward skilled players who use tactics and cunning? Do we want the game to be dominated by shitty little kids and people who can't be arsed to work, who have huge swathes of spare time in which to repeatedly kill cows? What about those who can only grab an hour or so after work? The skills should be inherent in the gameplay as it is a skill based game.

As a side note Rocket has said in interviews he's currently not in favour of skills, leveling or classes. So I guess my ambivalence is irrelevant.

Yeah, grinding would always be an issue. My suggestion of losing skills on death would help keep people from getting levelled super high. Doesnt matter how hard you grind if you get shot in the face by a bandit and lose everything.

But if the idea was already dismissed, fair enough.

I'm personally undecided on the issue. Losing skills on death would be one way to combat grinding. But every time someone suggests skills in general in a separate thread it gets brutally shot down so I won't add it to the list :P

Edited by ruarz

Nice suggestions. Here's hope some of those will be on the standalone.

In terms of a medical system, I was thinking... what about using concepts out of Metal Gear Solid 3, and tweaking them.

MGS3 provides a lot of details which could do with being removed given that the player character is a layman with no medical training. What it does do well though is the injury system where treating wounds is a multi-stage process.

For example, to properly treat wounds, you have to bandage them or apply a styptic to stop bleeding, suture the cut, apply ointment to burns, disinfect the area, remove bullets and bee stings, splint fractures etc.

In the context of DayZ, this could translate to wounds not healing properly, becoming infected, or reopening if they are not dealt with properly. Bandaging a serious cut for example would stop the bleeding but unless stitched it would have a high chance of reopening if you sprint around. If you didn't disinfect it later then you'd end up with an infection.

I might try knocking up a picture in a bit, but hopefully you get the idea.

Edit: here's a very rough example which I quickly knocked together

2j1x4kz.jpg:

Edited by Photolysis
  • Like 1

My idea:

Now is so easy to search for a low populated server, go to stary sobor, nw airfield, hospitals, etc. and get nice items. What about hiding the server population at the lobby? You would never know if there are 5, 15, or 40 players, and that would make it more realistic. Don´t know if this can be coded into the mod or if it would be easy to code into the standalone game, but its a feature i´d love to see implemented.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/64831-unknown-population-at-servers/

• Like 2

amazing how much work you put into a great idea!!

you have my beans!! i like the diablo inventory system, and it would be nice to see it in dayz too. i only see one problem, which is the adjustment of the inventory. it takes much time to rearange items, and you can possibly be killed while in inventory.

• Like 1

amazing how much work you put into a great idea!!

you have my beans!! i like the diablo inventory system, and it would be nice to see it in dayz too. i only see one problem, which is the adjustment of the inventory. it takes much time to rearange items, and you can possibly be killed while in inventory.

Well that's why you can bind items to certain keys so they're available to you more readily. You should make sure you're in a safe place before rearranging your gear and just like IRL, if your gear is ordered well you'll be able to find what you're looking for more quickly. It might well save your life :)

i have an idea too...meanwhile, tents can be manually saved. i would suggest, it would be better if there was a "every 15 minute" save or so, automaticly, from the server.

also, if you die your tent will disapear. to prevent this, you might type in a code, only you or a friend knows. when the code is correct, the tent is officially his, or again yours after your dead. however, this doesnt change the fact, that you can take stuff out of it.

the vehicle repairing system as you mentioned is very nice too, but on a standalone, maybe make the challange harder. maybe repairable tires, or some "homemade" protection out of scrap metall, which makes the vehicle much harder to destroy, aswell for zombies, as for weapons.

maybe add a glue, in order to fix the screens, or some kind of pump, to repair slightly damaged tires. you can also add some motor-oil, or cooling water.

EDIT:

I actually did read your thread, as I do with every thread. It was typical "this is how I want the game to be," without even bothering to think any of it through. Pretty much every point above either completely ignores the direction of the game, or is something that you think is "cool."

Nothing engaging, nothing unique, and nothing remotely interesting.

i know i shouldnt respond to this, but i simply just must feed the troll for once...

you do realise, that this is the SUGGESTION part of the forum...i think, making gameplay change suggestions, is part of a suggestion...-.-

Edited by Allimania

In terms of a medical system, I was thinking... what about using concepts out of Metal Gear Solid 3, and tweaking them.

MGS3 provides a lot of details which could do with being removed given that the player character is a layman with no medical training. What it does do well though is the injury system where treating wounds is a multi-stage process.

For example, to properly treat wounds, you have to bandage them or apply a styptic to stop bleeding, suture the cut, apply ointment to burns, disinfect the area, remove bullets and bee stings, splint fractures etc.

In the context of DayZ, this could translate to wounds not healing properly, becoming infected, or reopening if they are not dealt with properly. Bandaging a serious cut for example would stop the bleeding but unless stitched it would have a high chance of reopening if you sprint around. If you didn't disinfect it later then you'd end up with an infection.

I might try knocking up a picture in a bit, but hopefully you get the idea.

Edit: here's a very rough example which I quickly knocked together:

Nice picture. Multi-stage wound treatment for more serious injuries would be great. ATM leg fractures occur far too often. It's also unrealistic that they be treated with morphine. I think the whole morphine thing should be revised. It shouldn't treat wounds, rather act as the strongest form of painkiller. Then the whole pain system would need revising too :)

• Like 1

Spawns. zeds and items should never spawn or de-spawn within line of sight of any player

• Like 1