Rising (DayZ)

Third person vs First person view

What? Are you kidding me? Removing 3rd person? Are you crazy?

If dont like then switch it to 1person,you have choice,omg this threads areeeeee sooo codish

Might help if you read the thread to understand the different points of view.

I feel for anyone about to or has already bought a TrackIR for the Standalone. If anything buy it for Arma 3. They say the SA will support it's use but if 3rd person is allowed in the public servers you've just paid $170 to handicap yourself.

Edited by kaiga12

I feel for anyone about to or has already bought a TrackIR for the Standalone. If anything buy it for Arma 3. They say the SA will support it's use but if 3rd person is allowed in the public servers you've just paid $170 to handicap yourself.

Wasn't it a fact, that we get hardcore server? That hardcore is not connected to non hardcore?

Yesterday I ordered TrackIR5 + TrackClip Pro. *excited* :P

in a realism world u don't have zombies...

Thanks you, now let's add laser space squierrels!

The movement TrackIR detects (if properly supported in game) could potentially allow for peeking over walls/round corners etc.

Preventing that kind of advantage has been the rallying cry of the FPV-fans.

Sounds like you want 3dp removed so you can make SA pay-to-win via peripheral hardware.

EDIT:

Before anyone starts barking, I still consider myself neutral on the matter.

I'd just be happier if I was allowed to have my non-combat interactions (campsite-banter and barbecues) in 3dp

FPV-only wouldn't kill the game for me, but clearly many people wouldn't appreciate the change,

Edited by Chabowski

If I was rich enough to splash out on Track IR I wouldn't care what views were in.

You can still use it quite well....you don't have to keep free look activated and can instantly react to threats. That's worth the money and even more if you didn't just buy it for this game. With 1P only it's a force multiplier.

The best situations you can use it in is when you try t peek through littel holes or the round windows in the barns, i've used it to snipe through those windows without the enemy ever realizing where i was shooting from for almost 30 minutes.

And before anyone cries again that you can win by peripheral hardware, there is no substitute for skill.

Tiger in Duh tank...but Donkey at the wheel !

Edited by Enforcer

The movement TrackIR detects (if properly supported in game) could potentially allow for peeking over walls/round corners etc.

Preventing that kind of advantage has been the rallying cry of the FPV-fans.

Sounds like you want 3dp removed so you can make SA pay-to-win via peripheral hardware.

All TrackIR does is enhance FPV by letting you use your head to control your in-game head on the same swivel you get from using Alt. Everything you can do with a TrackIR you can still do without one, otherwise the game wouldn't work at all without one.

Furthermore peeking over walls does not work in Arma 2 (the character model cannot tiptoe or stretch it's neck) at all unless you have 3P on (Which is bullshit) and you can already peek corners using Q and E.

If you're referring to the Arma 3 features of TrackIR (the six degrees of freedom etc) which the devs may be using in the SA, I have no idea whether or not that's an exclusive feature but I'd wager it isn't and there will still be some way of keyboard controlling all character movements.

That said: Sounds like joysticks with hat switches and anything that is not a mouse and keyboard is "pay-to-win" according to your logic. Really? So they'll make my bullets do more damage? I'll buy five!

You can still use it quite well....you don't have to keep free look activated and can instantly react to threats. That's worth the money and even more if you didn't just buy it for this game. With 1P only it's a force multiplier.

The best situations you can use it in is when you try t peek through littel holes or the round windows in the barns, i've used it to snipe through those windows without the enemy ever realizing where i was shooting from for almost 30 minutes.

My gripe isn't that it doesn't work, it's just that it's utility in the DayZ SA at least will be diminished if everyone else is in "3rd person arcade mode" meaning it's probably not worth it to buy exclusively for the SA.

Got a webcam? Download FaceTrackNoIR

Everything you can do with a TrackIR you can still do without one,

That isn't entirely true. You get incremental lean with a TrackIR but your larger point is true. Incremetal lean isn't exactly a game breaking advantage.

@ Kaiga,

Incremental lean (as you so aptly describe it, Heiduk (unless that's the official name of the feature, in which case consider me slightly less impressed, but still grateful for the info) :thumbsup:) applies in Take on Helicopters, so I see no reason why the Bohemia tech-men wouldn't include it in DayZ, where it would be more useful.

In the case of it's featuring, it provides users of TrackIR (or its alternatives) an ability to peek over cover without having to stand up.

FYI - I consider almost anything beyond keyboard/mouse/tower/monitor to be extras. Because they are.

In 3dp enabled servers, the percieved "advantage" is available to all. On that note, it's unrealistic, but still entirely fair.

In FPV only, if only TrackIR users get the ability to poke just their heads out, it's both unrealistic and unfair.

As foreign a concept as it may seem to some, I like my logic to be logical.

• Like 1

My gripe isn't that it doesn't work, it's just that it's utility in the DayZ SA at least will be diminished if everyone else is in "3rd person arcade mode" meaning it's probably not worth it to buy exclusively for the SA.

Depends on the player, even in 3P there are a lot of players who don't use the benefit of the felt "more fov" when running around ( while i on the other hand also have 3P and can swivel around like hell ), they always run straight lines without turning around in any matter after a couple of meters and you still have the advantage when having to move the camera under a vehicle to see if you will likely hit an obstacle when you f.e. land a heli, you have full control of your vehicle and are still able to react instantly ( most players seem to use KB + mouse when flying a helo judging from their weird movements when i see them maneuvering - always autopilot on and almost flipping the heli ) while i fly manually 99% of the time unless i really have to hover for a longer period which is quite a dangerous task in the game. And i'm not talking about having an accident, but having the bullet magnet on your heli.

In FPV only, if only TrackIR users get the ability to poke just their heads out, it's both unrealistic and unfair.

You don't understand the concept behind TrackIR, it doesn't give you a movement that you can't do in ArmA 2. The only difference is you have your hands free while looking around and have the inkremental lean. And of course you have the immersion in 1P.

Edited by Enforcer

You don't understand the concept behind TrackIR, it doesn't give you a movement that you can't do in ArmA 2. The only difference is you have your hands free while looking around and have the inkremental lean. And of course you have the immersion in 1P.

I believe you have two more moves. lean up (not looking sky) and lean down (not looking foots). it is called "pitch" I believe.

Was playing in configuration to get same effect with "mouse + any key". believe impossible with keyboard only atm.

Edit: Get my own trackir now.

I know now you have NOT two more moves.

Edited by NoCheats

Incremental lean (as you so aptly describe it, Heiduk (unless that's the official name of the feature, in which case consider me slightly less impressed, but still grateful for the info) :thumbsup:) applies in Take on Helicopters,

I'm not sure if incremental lean is its official name but it is an existing feature of ARMA and already works fine in DayZ. I haven't played TOH but assume it operates the same way. Basically instead of going from 0-100% lean with the Q and E keys you can use a head tracker to achieve a 12% or 50% or 67.325% lean. It's only side to side movement in ARMA 2 but with ARMA 3's finer-grained control of player stance it may have more options.

I believe you have two more moves. lean up (not looking sky) and lean down (not looking foots). it is called "pitch" I believe.

Was playing in configuration to get same effect with "mouse + any key". believe impossible with keyboard only atm.

With a typical head tracking configuration in ARMA you can yaw left and right and pitch up and down. These movements are exactly equivalent to holding Alt and looking around with the mouse. You can also shift your head left and right to lean. As noted above this is equivalent to using the Q and E keys except the lean is incremental. Finally you can shift your head forward and backward to zoom in and out, although many players disable this axis. Zoom is also incremental. I suppose you could do something crazy like shifting your head up and down to change from crouched to standing or prone but I've never heard of anybody doing that.

Head tracking doesn't fundamentally change how you can move. All it does is give you a little more control and take a couple of functions away from your fingers. On the list of OP features in ARMA I would place head tracking fairly close to the bottom.

Here is another ARMA specific demo of how it's used:

Well, it's not my problem if people don't use the possibilities that the engine gives considering natural movement in game. Whether or not you want or can spend the extra money, just don' t waste the money on other stuff and people who demonize TrackIR because they can't afford it will love it, too.

I do think 1st person would be good to be enforced for vehicles. That I wouldn't mind- anyone else?

I like option of 3rd person as a person running around but with cars, its way to easy to see things in distance with a 3rd person for cars.

option when playing the person but in a car/chopper- maybe only allow 1st person?

What does everyone think??

Well, it's not my problem if people don't use the possibilities that the engine gives considering natural movement in game. Whether or not you want or can spend the extra money, just don' t waste the money on other stuff and people who demonize TrackIR because they can't afford it will love it, too.

Removing trackIR is no option. No one asking this.

I'm not bringing it up with the aim of having the trackIR functionality removed, or even dumbed down, I'm simply pointing out something that I noticed.

I'd rather not have abilities which are only available to those who wish to spend money. However, if the pitch up/down was available for basic keyboard and mouse players I would make good use of it.

I think it would be a worthwhile addition to the game anyway. It also might encourage more players towards FPV gameplay.

ingame FOV is horrible so thirdperson is a must for people like me who hate low FOV. (Oculus RIFT anyone?)

but as far as removing 3rd person, I think it should be kept (and ofcourse there are options for disabling it on entire servers)

I personally think that yes its a fun and imersive game but I dont know how im going to be any more imersed by getting motion sick from low FOV and shotty first person animation + the wounded shakes of a crack addict

FOV is the same in every view mode....do you still don't get it? It's only artificially wider because the camera is set up a bit behind you... If they used the sme type of camera in 3P as in 1P you would also get the same amount of motion sickness...

Edited by Enforcer

Ok, to start out, third person is kinda cheap, yes, but it does make your FOV more realistic, and it's available to everyone.

Second, third person is going nowhere. If it was gonna be removed, it'd be gone by now. All this fighting is useless. And remember rocket stating how to make it more balanced between the two? He never even mentioned removing it. That tells you everything right there. It's not going away, deal with it.

Third, even without head-bob, FP is ridiculously awful. It's beyond awful. The FOV is garbage, it gets annoying, and it hurts my head after a while. And yes, my head-bob is off. And don't tell me "Well, hurr durr, you can fix he FOV by editing files derp". The point is, I shouldn't have to do this. They should just have a better FP.

Fourth, stop complaining about the lack of servers. I find them everywhere. As soon as I get to my computer that's worth more than $20, I'll get you guys some IP's. Most are whitelisted, however. One example is the Billy Mays Rememberance servers. And like someone else said, if everybody who wants FP only gets on a server, then they won't be empty anymore.

Playing on a 1st and 3rd person server, then complaining about 3rd person, is just stupid and accomplishes absolutely nothing. All FP only users make a thread, get together, and populate a server. Not hard. Hell, I'll make a thread for you. Tell me where the thread will go, and I'll do the work FOR you. Just to stop the complaining. It's getting old.

tl;dr, stop complaining, do something about it, TP is not going away, and tell rocket to fix the FP mode. <------ Instant fix right there. You're welcome.