Kuramashi

Would you take the shot?

To start off, Ive been playing this game maybe a week now (would have been longer but my power supply blew had to order another).

Maybe my third time dying and reviving i decided to head north. Knowing some of the better gear can be found more north. At some point I ended up finding a heli crash site right at the edge of a town. It blew my mind concidering I didnt expect to find one so soon. It blew my mind even further after I found a DMR at the site.

Well after grabbing the DMR I headed back south as I knew I would need to, to meet up with my cousin when he respawns.

I was sitting near the woods north of Komarovo, just waiting for him to get logged in and join the same server.

Just as I was scoping the area I turned to my left and saw someone heading torwards the tree line. I immediately went prone and hoped he hadn't seen me as he had a primary and secondary gun. Luckily he didnt.

Even more luckily I could tell he ALT+Tab out (because he suddenly stopped for some time) to probably look at a loot map. So I scoped in on his dome. He was only 62m away, so I had expected not to miss.

But I did not take the shot... And within 10-20secs he was already back in game and continuing north. I decided to follow him but ended up losing him in some woods..

Anyways, Im just curious as to how many of you would have taken the shot and why or why not. I guess I didn't take the shot myself, because if it was the other way around Ide prefer a sniper not to take me out lol.. But in a survival game, was it a bad idea not to kill him even though he hadnt posed a threat?

• Like 9

I wouldn't have taken the shot, personally. I won't engage someone if there's no need for it.

Edited by LockeDown
  • Like 5

It wasn't really worth the shot. You weren't injured or needing supplies, you had a nice gun and he wasn't coming at you. You could have opened a can of worms for no reason and lost your shiny new DMR in the process.

That would be my logic. Also your friend could have spawned into a fire fight.

• Like 4

It wasn't really worth the shot. You weren't injured or needing supplies, you had a nice gun and he wasn't coming at you. You could have opened a can of worms for no reason and lost your shiny new DMR in the process.

That would be my logic. Also your friend could have spawned into a fire fight.

Well put, ty for the reply.

As far as the DMR goes... I ended up finding a nice shiny car, nearly full on gas and fully repaired. Got carried away driving it, not watching the road and BAM. Hit a cement wall and died.... :P

• Like 1

Yeah, no need really. Unless they're going to kill you, there's no point. Waste ammo, attract attention to yourself, ruin someones day etc :P

• Like 3

It all depends on how i am playing at the time. If i am playing as a bandit then yes i would take the shot. But normally no, i'd just let him be.

Thanks for the replies, wish i would have ran into you guys rather then the ones who sniped/shot me on the spot haha

I would have even if only to test the DMR out. But then I've become a real asshole since bandit skins were removed.

Part of me would have shot him, part of me would have not. I would have because he was an idiot for stopping to check his map out in the open. I wouldn't have though because I usually like to avoid a conflict.

I am not sure. If he was only 62 meters away I probably would've, just for my own safety.

But as I said I am not sure. Have to be there, I guess.

He didn't know you were there, no apparent threat, I wouldn't take the shot.

• Like 1

You should've killed him. You need supplies; he has them. And one day he may not show you the same mercy.

Good call, no need to take the shot.

Good work man. This makes me think, all these people who whinge for being shot on sight by everyone they see. What about everyone you don't see, who thinks like you.

As one guy said, every now and then I will have a bandit life. Usually If I lose all my awesome gear to a glitch after working hard for it.

Don't normally last that long as I actively look for gunfights and blow off a bit of steam, don't bother with unarmed people even then.

Mostly I play very friendly and will only kill bandits.

I wouldn't have taken the shot. While I have taken lives on occasion, I generally do it for reasons other than "just because". I don't want zombies suddenly heading towards me to find out what's going on. I also don't want bandits heading towards my gunfire either. If he was afk, and didn't even bother with you when he got back, I say let him go. And yes, I realize not everyone would do the same to me.

That's the great thing about this game. There is no right or wrong way to play.

• Like 1

I would have put him down. Fresh loot for my friend when he spawns in. But something thats fun is to just watch people, follow them around and such.

I can understand why you didnt shoot though. Gives you power. Thinking "I could have killed that guy, but chose to let him live".

Ive followed a few guys....I actually was pretty positive about killing him. I would be thinking, get rid of this guy and have the ability to take his supplies and stake out at an air field without needing to worry about more supplies.

I was sitting on top of a building on the west side of Komarovo, it was a bit laggy, but I was scoping out all the zeds. Just chillin by the coast thinking about life before, when I saw a guy running along the coast. He had a handgun, figured he was finding all the fresh spawned kids to kill. I got him in the sights of my AK74...watched him run like right through 4 zeds. 200 meters out I figured it wouldnt be worth it, even though he was stopped. At the closest, he was 60 meters out. Easily could have dispatched him.

I love this game...

I like how you put it kentk94, there is no right way or wrong way to play.

And to the one who said ude shoot even to just test the gun, ull be sad to know the only time i fired that DMR was accidently while running lol. Never actually sniped a player or zombie before wrecking the car and dying.

I do try to avoid conflict and players as well, because i have yet to run into someone who doesnt shoot me on site lol.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume their friendly, but in more cases than none they turn out to be bandits lol. Its a hard life in dayz

Absolutely.

Had he seen you, I can garuntee he wouldn't of been so nice. Especially since you had a better gun. What does he have to lose to shoot you? nothing. What does he have to gain? everything.

Game is a deathmatch

I wouldn't have taken the shot, personally. I won't engage someone if there's no need for it.

This.

Absolutely.

Had he seen you, I can garuntee he wouldn't of been so nice. Especially since you had a better gun. What does he have to lose to shoot you? nothing. What does he have to gain? everything.

Game is a deathmatch

You can guarantee nothing, this is pure speculation. As the OP has demonstrated, the game is most certainly not a deathmatch. He did not kill and he still "won" the game (which means not getting killed at the moment in Day Z).

Edited by Bad Science