oshi7

CryEngine 3 - Possible?

theres no way to simulate a world like dayz's (arma II engine) with cry3. also bullet ballistic on cryengine suck. multiplayer code suck. dayz went crazy popular in 2 months not becouse of graphics, gameplay. every game looking good these days, shiny textures bla bla but gameplay = shit. making great ultra realistic graphics with awful gameplay doesnt mean shit. its been few years they have been doing that. look what happen a mod full with bugs topped them all. they should keep this engine imo just make standalone for the dayz game.

LOL. I really don't know what to say. Seems like your basing your opinions from games you have played using Cry and not really understanding how the engine or any engine works. Meh, understandable.

Just wait for ArmA 3 .. new engine,new graphic

Just wait for ArmA 3 .. new engine,new graphic

New physics!

THIS, is some good shit

Edited by highpanda

Yes its possible to change the engine and make Dayz around a different engine.

However since Bohemia would be better of investing time and money in their own engine since that engine is used for more products then Arma 2.

For example virtual battlespace and other games which you can see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Virtuality_(engine)#Real_Virtuality_3

Also it would cause Dayz to take even longer to be released as a more developed game.

This, is a good Jungle Environment Created on CryEngine 3. Just Epic!

Please Rocket/Staff get in a project with CryEngine 3, (Not the FREE SDK)! I think that is completely possible to do!

I know it might take years to full release if changed Engine, but keep updating the ArmA 2 DayZ while making a CryZ Project :D!

But that would be too much to ask... At least for me.

Edited by MinxinG

LOL. I really don't know what to say. Seems like your basing your opinions from games you have played using Cry and not really understanding how the engine or any engine works. Meh, understandable.

you cant win an arguement with typing lols at start you know that right?

dayz is not a game for fun or to to play for fun. quake was a game it had rockets that doesnt lose velocity and maps designed for that purpose. crysis is a game for you to play in single player, look at the fishes or blow up environment but I never played any crysis or cry engine games except the first. dayz is realistic becouse of the engine. not becouse of good looks or anything. now if you saying me port dayz to best looking engine and it will be fine, you are braindead. its not a game to please you its an experience and it wont loose this aspect no matter what you think. im outta this thread.

you cant win an arguement with typing lols at start you know that right?

dayz is not a game for fun or to to play for fun. quake was a game it had rockets that doesnt lose velocity and maps designed for that purpose. crysis is a game for you to play in single player, look at the fishes or blow up environment but I never played any crysis or cry engine games except the first. dayz is realistic becouse of the engine. not becouse of good looks or anything. now if you saying me port dayz to best looking engine and it will be fine, you are braindead. its not a game to please you its an experience and it wont loose this aspect no matter what you think. im outta this thread.

Yeah, the physics is pretty damn realistic in ArmA 2(ironic). And yes, you can make a Realism Game in CryEngine 3, WITH better graphics, you just need to want it. It's going to be better if Rocket change Engines right now, rather than changing in a far future when the game is almost complete to be launched.

Edited by MinxinG

This, is a good Jungle Environment Created on CryEngine 3. Just Epic!

4:30 epic destruction fail. except that, video is great though.

I don't want Rocket to use CryEngine 3 for DayZ. Why? Well look at the graphics of the games that use CryEngine 3. The graphics look beast but I don't want to be forced to buy a new pc to play DayZ. I dont have the money for that. And a good pc costs alot of money. And I'm sure there are more people who would have this problem then.

Im totally for this! Why has no one thought of utilizing cryengine 3?

If its not possible, i wouldnt mind DayZ being on the ArmA 3 engine

I would love to see DayZ done well in CryEngine3. However i think these would be the reasons Rocket won't change engines

• Cost. Using a different engine will require Rocket and his team to lose profits towards the engine creator. Whereas, where he currently stands with Bohemia, he quite possibly may get permission to use the engine without cost (as he has generated so many sales for them, and its win win in their situation).
  • Time. It will take a lot more time to change the game to a different engine. However much i am sitting here dreaming of setting up my tent and raiding the town on the coast shown in these demonstrations, im afraid it won't really happen. It will take a LOT of time, and require a lot more work then Rocket has even put in to get DayZ into alpha with ArmA2. Also with the upcoming ArmA3 engine, with new physics and graphics, and an already working DayZ mod on it, theres not much gain for Rocket to change engines.
  • Feel. I do think it is possible to recreate the feel DayZ has atm, in a different engine. In my opinion the main feel comes directly from the hardcore style player interactions. Theres no "go here to trade with people". Your always stressed, paranoid, and expecting to run into other survivors / vehicles, and when you finally do, your shocked, overjoyed, and scared all at the same time. That is primarily due to the raw nature of the game, and is recreatable, it is not the ArmA engine creating this, its the mods style, and the community.

However much we, and I, would love to see this game make full use of the beautiful CryEngine (that DOES run better then the RV engine), im afraid it won't happen by Rocket's team. The only hope we have is a 3rd party creating a 'DayZ Clone' or us as a community getting permission of Rocket to create this ourselves. Without that dedication from the community, your gonna have to bite your lip and stick through the flaws RV has.

TL;DR

I would love to see DayZ in the CryEngine, though due to numerous reasons for Rocket and his team, it most likely will not happen. The only chance of it happening is if the community or another game developer creates a 'DayZ clone' with or without the permission of Rocket.

Sorry OP, but what you want is crazy and not feasible because time and effort cost money. Personally having played ArmA2 for years before this, I like how unforgiving and unfriendly it is. No-one likes getting killed by a door but since we know that DZ is going to be directly compatible with ArmA3, then I think the effort:reward ratio of aiming for that outweighs any potential increased sales from investing literally millions of dollars in an engine swap. Can anyone think of a game that's undergone an engine-swap that has had a net gain from it? I just think of DNF and a swarm of others that tried to stay relevant and forgot that gameplay > *

its 20 percent of royalities to use the cryengine 3 for your game

so unless the arma guys charge more why would he even think of doing it. cant believe alot more people havent done games with it though as its stunning

Warning: I provide no new arguments for 'switching' to CryEngine 3, just some hypothetical "what-ifs".

For those saying you couldn't create a tense DayZ-like atmosphere. Only slightly more work would need to be done to make it better. Imagine no nano-suit and zombies standing around, possibly other players.

Also, someone made a zombie mod for CryEngine. Zombies seem weird, but cool. I like how they trip over other dead zombies.

Edited by OshiSeven
  • Like 2

This.

Day Z needs to be a standalone game. I don't know if you can release a commercial game on the cryengine, but I know with the UDK (unreal engine 3) they'll give you a commercial license for $99 (this one doesn't come with engine source code though, buts its still good for making most types of games; supposing an indie game takes off very well, the developer can always look into getting the primo licence).

With the $99 licence the first $50000 of profit is the developer's, but after that 25% of all profits each quarter go to Epic Games. For an indie developer that isn't too shabby.

Yeah this is definitely possible, there is just the challenge of building the game from the ground up, but in the long run this is better than just modding another game.

Rocket could port all the content from Day Z to another engine to ease the workload for the alpha, but he would eventually have to replace everything that isn't original content if he wanted to release it commercially.

Edited by Strogg

With the $99 licence the first $50000 of profit is the developer's, but after that 25% of all profits each quarter go to Epic Games. For an indie developer that isn't too shabby.

CryTek only takes 20% so how is that better from a financial standpoint?

The biggest problem i could see is that, despite Arma II's flaws it is very good at generating Maps, I don't think the crysis one could create a map that big with no loading screens, and if it could only around 1% of gamers would have the hardware neccisary to play it.

The current Dayz runs wors than Crysis 1 for me so you are wrong IMO :D

Rocket could make a standalone game just like take on helicopters which uses the same engine and in all the interviews i saw, he is leaning towards developing in the current engine rather than moving to another. and moving to another engine would mean that he would have to create almost everything again, it isnt that easy to just switch to a different engine. also if the DayZ was a standalone game, rocket would most likely be working for Bohemia and get a percentage of the revenue on the game if it was released

CryTek only takes 20% so how is that better from a financial standpoint?

With the $50000 limit of untouched profits, that depends on how much money the game makes. If that extra 5% equals more than $50000 in (eventual) sales, then the cryengine would be a better deal. It becomes a question of how much money the developer wants to make in the short term (I'm unfamiliar of the terms of the licence agreement the cryengine requires for commercial games).

Edited by Strogg

Rocket could make a standalone game just like take on helicopters which uses the same engine and in all the interviews i saw, he is leaning towards developing in the current engine rather than moving to another. and moving to another engine would mean that he would have to create almost everything again, it isnt that easy to just switch to a different engine. also if the DayZ was a standalone game, rocket would most likely be working for Bohemia and get a percentage of the revenue on the game if it was released

Bohemia don't own Day Z in any way do they? I was under the impression that this was just Rocket's pet project. I don't see why they would be legally entitled to any profits if he were to make a standalone title with the concept.

Edited by Strogg

So one of the biggest hurdles in playing DayZ is the engine. I love DayZ, from the aesthetics to the intensity. Saying that, I don’t think I’m alone when I say that Arma 2, or at least the Real Virtuality Engine, seems to be holding the game back from wacky stuff like doors opening and breaking legs to other problems like incredibly poor optimization that causes, even good machines, to run horribly. There are a lot of other engines that could be used, but the one that stands out to me is CryEngine 3, as it is free to develop on and take 20% when you release the game full.

I am, by any persons standards, NOT a game developer. One thing I have done, however, is download the

CryEngine 3 SDK and messed around with it. I’ve created landscapes that are larger than Chernarus and easily made forests that look amazing. The one thing I love about this engine is the versatility, ease-of-use and the real-time editing.

There are things I see, being developed for CryEngine 3, that blow my mind and make me wonder how amazing a game like DayZ could be on this game. Although it might change some play styles and ways we do things, I think DayZ would be better for it. I’m not sure if Rocket has some kind of affinity for Real Virtuality, or it was just the engine he chose because it is so realism based, but I can’t imagine there is anything it can do that can’t be done in CryEngine 3.

Things like real-time vegetation:

Could you imagine a world where the year-long cycle lasts a 60 days? Depending on what time you play on, the world could be completely different. You could have lots of long grass to crawl through in February but by the end of March it could be a pretty barren landscape and you’d need to move differently.

Vehicles are so much more immersive and take locational damage (you can pop tires, etc.) and with mods like the above (or even a simplified version) you could get very immersive and real things happening in games, rather than what we have now where you can throw a grenade at a car, it’ll explode, but the car will sit there for a few seconds until it randomly combusts.

CryEngine 3 has a pretty great showcase of games that have been made on it also, which show how versatile an engine it can be. Of course, we have Crysis 1 and 2, which show how we can go from urban landscapes to forests but also we have games such as Nexuiz that are quake-like shooter games. which couldn’t be more different than Crysis was and shows that latency and hit-detection isn’t a huge issue.

Even MMORPG games, which rely heavily on being able to put many players on on server and include a in-depth inventory system, are being developed such as Cabal 2, Archeage and AION.

Games like Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 have a bullet cam that is very pretty. Could you imagine DayZ being able to give you replays of your kills with a bullet cam? Maybe this idea isn’t for everyone, but it’s something that could be done within the engine.

So that’s my attempt at turning you guys onto CryEngine. I don’t work for CryTek or have ever communicated with them, I’ve just faffed around in the engine a little bit and have been blown away by how good it is and that even someone like me could learn how to use it without much trouble.

Common misunderstanding with engines is content. Everything thinks...OMG LOOK AT THIS GAME WITH CE3 /drool

In reality that game has content that was developed specifically for that game..... not pre-canned content with the engine. Engine doesn't = content, it = functionality. RV has a lot of that and can perform well, furthermore, it's developed in house and not 3rd party. CE3 is a engine, it isn't associated with a game, it's not a development studio for games.

Understand that the majority of what you see im all those fancy CE3 videos is content that can also be used in any other game. Point in case, I created terrain in CE3 tools and migrated it into VBS2/ArmA......it's not really that complex.

• Like 1