oshi7

CryEngine 3 - Possible?

and would squash the issue of user executed scripts for hacking and exploits. It would even do more then that.

Yes, that's another good point of moving to CryEngine 3

But I don't know if It's possible to make DayZ on CryEngine 3, let's hope it is, it seems pretty good.

• Like 1

Alright, truthfully? I'd love to see DayZ on CryEngine 3. It's beautiful and has a lot of potential.

However, I don't think it's a realistic suggestion to move the entire game to an entirely new engine. There's already enough uncertainty regarding the shift to the ArmA 3 engine, and that shift is relatively minor given it's an update to the same core physics engine. Additionally, CryEngine in general isn't as inherently moddable as ArmA is - sure, it's easier to develop on than say, Battlefield, but it's nowhere near the practically built-in mod support that ArmA has.

What I think will happen is that DayZ as a concept will spread to CryEngine 3, and that's what I think Rocket is shooting for. While we may not see DayZ ported to CryEngine 3 as "DayZ," we'll definitely start to see "CryZ" or other spinoffs crop up as the rest of the modding community takes hold of the idea. I wouldn't be surprised if the Project Reality team decided to make DayZ ports as a side project.

tl;dr It's unrealistic to expect a port to Cryengine 3. Yes, it'd be awesome, but it's out of the scope of what Rocket can do. Let's hope some other modders/devs pick up the hint on what players like and make a new title.

• Like 6

Alright, truthfully? I'd love to see DayZ on CryEngine 3. It's beautiful and has a lot of potential.

However, I don't think it's a realistic suggestion to move the entire game to an entirely new engine. There's already enough uncertainty regarding the shift to the ArmA 3 engine, and that shift is relatively minor given it's an update to the same core physics engine. Additionally, CryEngine in general isn't as inherently moddable as ArmA is - sure, it's easier to develop on than say, Battlefield, but it's nowhere near the practically built-in mod support that ArmA has.

What I think will happen is that DayZ as a concept will spread to CryEngine 3, and that's what I think Rocket is shooting for. While we may not see DayZ ported to CryEngine 3 as "DayZ," we'll definitely start to see "CryZ" or other spinoffs crop up as the rest of the modding community takes hold of the idea. I wouldn't be surprised if the Project Reality team decided to make DayZ ports as a side project.

tl;dr It's unrealistic to expect a port to Cryengine 3. Yes, it'd be awesome, but it's out of the scope of what Rocket can do. Let's hope some other modders/devs pick up the hint on what players like and make a new title.

This.

I would love it too if DayZ would use Cryengine 3. It looks totally awesome.

I couldn't disagree more. People are developing completely different genres of games on CryEngine from MMORPG games, to RTS and even games that I can't think of genre names for. Someone showed a demo of their project called K-Glider, which uses nothing but flowgraphs (which is the surface coding used for AI movements etc.)

CryEngine also supports importing of Blender, so even the community can get involved and help add assets to the game. Honestly, saying that an SDK used to develop large-scale projects isn't "as moddable" is just a complete fabrication.

Also, given the right funding and team, Rocket is limitless in what he can do. It's incredibly easy to create large, natural environments in CryEngine using a simple paint tool and random generator, then hard bake the assets into the map at the end. The only thing that would take up time would be building the cities, but with the CryEngine optimization you could make fully enter-able buildings and lots of them.

• Like 5

the only reason i want this to happen is because all Crytek`s game didnt have messed up mouse controls, like arma.

although i`d like to see stand alone game on engine that already showed its capabilities of creating big world in some game.

and i cant remember any game with a big world based on cryengine.

for instance i would like to see DayZ based on Vital engine, which was used in:

Boiling Point: Road to Hell

White Gold: War in Paradise

Precursors

the only reason i want this to happen is because all Crytek`s game didnt have messed up mouse controls, like arma.

although i`d like to see stand alone game on engine that already showed its capabilities of creating big world in some game.

It's possible to create maps in CryEngine so large that they are roughly 8x larger than the surface area of the Earth and because of the way the game is optimized, it'll still play fine (although I imagine creating a world that size would be a son-of-a-bitch).

• Like 1

for instance i would like to see DayZ based on Vital engine, which was used in:

Boiling Point: Road to Hell

White Gold: War in Paradise

Precursors

Wait? When hasnt CryEngine been used is massive environments? Crysis, takes place on a tropical island. Fry Cry 1/2/3 all based on CryEngine versions and are massive free roam shooters. Used in MMOs for supporting 100s of players and huge environments of many kinds.

• Like 2

It's possible to create maps in CryEngine so large that they are roughly 8x larger than the surface area of the Earth and because of the way the game is optimized, it'll still play fine (although I imagine creating a world that size would be a son-of-a-bitch).

DUUUDE.... Have Day Z play like EVE: Online? ONE hugely massive map? Everyone connects on that and plays on it? Have geographical seasons and all. Rocket, if you are watching Id pay purchase cost and $15 a month for that.

• Like 2

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-16-will-bohemia-help-dean-rocket-hall-build-a-standalone-dayz-game-or-not

In that interview rocket said he'd been approached by about 7 parties to do a DayZ standalone. He prefers to stay with BIS but if they don't want to the project might go to a different engine. It's easier to expand on the current engine then to build from scratch on another.

Bottom line is that if they don't act fast enough clones off dayz will start popping up in 1 or 2 years. It would be best if DayZ is the first actual game to get released. (not as mod)

• Like 2

dont get me wrong, that i doubt in the engine capabilities, but all that big world wasnt showed in any game, so people like me, who dont care much about engine itself, didnt see engines capabilities.

doesnt rocket have to sign with EA if he intend to use cryengine 3?

No. EA is a publisher. CryTek is the developer. CryTek licenses CryEngine out for many projects. CryTek makes more money on engine leasing then on game sales. They really are more an engine dev then anything else.

Ohh jeez, I can't wait for DayZ on CryEngine 3, Imagine how it would be to have a 'New York' kind of city in the game, where there are TONS of ZOMBIES where you actually needs to be stealth or you will be overrun by zombies.

Imagine getting into a city like this one...

Just amazing

Edited by MinxinG
  • Like 3

I couldn't disagree more. People are developing completely different genres of games on CryEngine from MMORPG games, to RTS and even games that I can't think of genre names for. Someone showed a demo of their project called K-Glider, which uses nothing but flowgraphs (which is the surface coding used for AI movements etc.)

I must admit, I was badly mistaken. I don't have much experience with the CryEngine mod community, so pardon my ignorance of the ridiculous level of development it's showing.

However, my point still stands. All the work Rocket has done so far has been relatively basic modification of the ArmA 2 engine, and even that's been restricted to glorified mission modification (his words, not mine). 40% of the game (or whatever, I can't find the quote) is stuff he can't work with due to its being in the ArmA source code. The most from-scratch feature is the loot spawning system, and the mechanics on that are so complex and kludged that even he's wary about tinkering about it and risking destabilizing a stable build (see GameBreaker interview re: loot cycling). While I was mistaken about the level to which CE3 can be modded, to rebuild DayZ from scratch would require an enormous effort that I think is basically beyond the scope of what Rocket wants to do.

It only reinforces my argument that we'll see mods that borrow the soul of DayZ and express it in their own form. Something like "CryZ" or some somewhat-referential-but-still-independent mod will come along, but a full exodus of DayZ to a completely new engine just seems out of the picture. Again, it'd be AWESOME, but just out of scale.

Are you sure you're not talking about Minecraft? I'm not familiar with CE mechanics, but it just strikes me as odd that both MC and CE would have the same world generation limits.

I must admit, I was badly mistaken. I don't have much experience with the CryEngine mod community, so pardon my ignorance of the ridiculous level of development it's showing.

However, my point still stands. All the work Rocket has done so far has been relatively basic modification of the ArmA 2 engine, and even that's been restricted to glorified mission modification (his words, not mine). 40% of the game (or whatever, I can't find the quote) is stuff he can't work with due to its being in the ArmA source code. The most from-scratch feature is the loot spawning system, and the mechanics on that are so complex and kludged that even he's wary about tinkering about it and risking destabilizing a stable build (see GameBreaker interview re: loot cycling). While I was mistaken about the level to which CE3 can be modded, to rebuild DayZ from scratch would require an enormous effort that I think is basically beyond the scope of what Rocket wants to do.

It only reinforces my argument that we'll see mods that borrow the soul of DayZ and express it in their own form. Something like "CryZ" or some somewhat-referential-but-still-independent mod will come along, but a full exodus of DayZ to a completely new engine just seems out of the picture. Again, it'd be AWESOME, but just out of scale.

Not if he goes with the Minecraft method he wanted to, OR (heaven forbid) a Kickstarter to release it as standalone based on a different engine.

Minecraft maps are way larger. From the Minecraft wiki they are 9.3million times the surface area.

Edited by Nexagelion

doesnt rocket have to sign with EA if he intend to use cryengine 3?

No. Crytek is the company that owns Cryengine, and it is fully independent of EA. They use EA as a publisher for some of their games, but they also use other publishers as well (Microsoft, THQ, to name a couple).

What Crytek charges to use their engine, I have no idea. I know they released a SDK that I could download and start making stuff, but I have no idea if they require a percentage of my profits if I start making money off something I create in their engine. I would imagine so, but I don't know any specifics.

The only thing I really see a new engine doing is ramping up the graphics. I've always thought the natural environments look quite stunning in Arma2.

I'm a UDK fanboy though, so mention of CryEngine makes me giggle a bit on the inside.

Possibly the greatest reason I wouldn't want DayZ to go CryEngine would be that it would make my computer cry.

But dammit if CE3 isn't beautiful.

Edited by thorgold

Possibly the greatest reason I wouldn't want DayZ to go CryEngine would be that it would make my computer cry.

But dammit if CE3 isn't beautiful.

Really? My PC can run CE3 better than it can run DayZ
  • Like 2

cry engine focuses in giving lot of detail to small maps, not to say that what makes this look "cool" are the bunch of blurr and other kinds of effects. I would rather see this in arma 3's or unreal 4 engine just because of gameplay reasons .

But yea it would look cool as heck

Wait? When hasnt CryEngine been used is massive environments? Crysis, takes place on a tropical island. Fry Cry 1/2/3 all based on CryEngine versions and are massive free roam shooters. Used in MMOs for supporting 100s of players and huge environments of many kinds.

wont lie, i might`ve missed something..

but dafaq Fry Cry is? if you meant Far Cry... Only first one was based on Cry Engine, and of course that wasnt CryEngine 3 and it wasnt a free roam shooter either. Crysis 1 and 2 actually corridor shooters with addition of some open space.

i was referring to open world games. but who cares anyway...

mmorpgs? the only mmorpgs i can remember are Aion(CryEngine1) wich pretty much fail, and ArchAge which is still in beta, if i rememmber correctly. but mmorpg its a little different story, due to have server part made.

Edited by Frozen
  • Like 1