oshi7

CryEngine 3 - Possible?

WHY. WHY DOES EVERYONE SAY ARMA III IS NOT A GOOD/OPTIMIZED ENGINE. Yes arma II's engine was kind of shabby, but thats the big thing about arma III! Its engine is much smoother and much better, and now it has Physx technology for more realistic vehicles, objects etc. You can't say a engine is bad if you haven't even tried it yet. The displays BI was showing wasn't a insane rig either, so that means this is much smoother then arma II is.

Because, as far as I know, RV4 is just more stuff tacked onto RV3, polishing, and fixes. It's still RV3 at heart, meaning it still has potential to be garbage.

Well, looks like Mr. Hall has made his decision.

I'm sure RV4 will be better than 3. Let's just hope its a little bit easier on hardware.

As cool as this would have been on CE3 it will be much easier and speed up dev time using an engine that Hall is already familiar with.

I think it's safe to say that DayZ will never change the engine. However due the fact that DayZ will become a standalone game Rocket can do more with the engine then just modding; he has access (and the knowledge) to make changes deep in the core of the engine and create his own fork (just like Take on Helicopters).

Not to mention all the changes he can make by using codes from ARMA3 (or re-use his own code ;)) directly at the core, which will make the game much smoother without the need of a super computer (like the CryEngine).

So, just be patient and have faith in Rocket and the new developers to make DayZ even better then it is right now.

Engine access and removing client side script execution will do so much to help.

that will help, but that isnt the only thing tha should be removed rom client side to handle: calculating weapons damage, and ai behavior.

or atleast add a file consistency check. i dont want the thread in my sig to be repeated on new engine.

Because, as far as I know, RV4 is just more stuff tacked onto RV3, polishing, and fixes. It's still RV3 at heart, meaning it still has potential to be garbage.

That's bullshit statement, it's like saying Valve's source engine is still IDTech2 (quake 1 engine) and can never do more than that.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

In a way your right....but the same can be said for cryEngine3....Thats why its called cryEngine3. Cause it's the 3rd incarnation of the engine. So yeah with each incarnation the base code is tweaked, improved, stabilized and new code\features are added. Your logic is strange. The fact that a company keeps certain working parts of an engine and builds on them in no way detracts from the validity or possibilities of that engine. Do you know anything about coding? You work in iterations and build up as you go making it better. You don't just toss shit out and start all over every time.

There is also a BIIIG plus to "old" code.

Old code work, it's stable and mostly bug free. Tossing everything and starting over is insanity.

What I think will happen is that DayZ as a concept will spread to CryEngine 3, and that's what I think Rocket is shooting for. While we may not see DayZ ported to CryEngine 3 as "DayZ," we'll definitely start to see "CryZ" or other spinoffs crop up as the rest of the modding community takes hold of the idea. I wouldn't be surprised if the Project Reality team decided to make DayZ ports as a side project.

Here, ladies and gentlemen, thorough thinking has happened.

Though he is aiming much further, gaming developers scratching their head, wondering how in the world a free mod can draw so much attention 'en passant'.

*beans*

Edited by Azrail

This would be great. There's also iD 5 engine from the quake/doom series. It has megatexture.

Also Unreal engine 3, and let's not forget Frostbyte 2 from BF3 ..darn good looking engine two.

Edited by Choice777

There's no point in speculating about DayZ using other game engines. The project is now being officially developed by Bohemia Interactive which means they'll be using the Real Virtuality game engine. End of story.

http://dayzgame.com/

• Like 1

This is just based on what you've seen from other games. You could match the 'look' of DayZ quite easily.

Also for those saying CryEngine 3 couldn't handle map sizes as large as Chernarus, you are mistaken. Loading the entire map in one go is a thing of the past and the engine is waaaaaay more optimized than most of you are assuming, I believe.

Example:

My beans, they are now yours... Please take care of them while i cry at the beauty of the Cryengine 3

I heard someone mention you can turn height maps into maps somehow using ce3, could someone explain how I could do that for Hawaii?

Old code work, it's stable and mostly bug free.

No offense but that pretty much proves that you have no clue about software development. There is no such thing as bug free and old code never means it won't break when new code is introduced. This is why you have regression testing any time a feature might interact with old code.

Further, the biggest detriments to software development are maintaining legacy support. Piling new code on top of old code makes things more prone to bugs.

Wait, maybe you're a programmer, half the programmers I know think they write bug free code all the time... lol

Although i think this a good idea, i think that Rocket has made his decision by now on what he will be useing and thier is no changing that. lets just hope that whatever rocket throughs at us is awesome.

no chance, rocket is working with BIS, which are currently making Arma 3. If rocket suddernly decides to change it to the cryengine then he'd have to change a shitload of stuff. I wouldent mind the cryengine but I reckon the new Arma 3 engine will be more suitable for the game.

The RV3 engine certainly lacks in the fields of animation, lighting, effects, physics.

However when it comes to details there is just a limit to how many you can show on a 300km2 map, even with a good LOD (level of detail) system.

3D shooter engines can load chunks of the map into memory because you won't see most of the map at the same time (yes that includes crysis). In ArmA 2 you are able to fly over the terrain with an aircraft at great speed or watch the landscape with a binocular from the top of a mountain.

Whether the RV3 engine is the right choice for DayZ is another question of course, personally I am willing to sacrifice detail for more realistic military sim. I must say though that buildings could be modeled with more detail, as they seem to be pretty generic.

Btw the RV4 engine looks quite nice with many improvements.

This is part 1 of a 7 part walkthrough of ArmA 3, looks pretty good I'd say:

Edited by Rugoz