Iron Man

Performance on MacBook Pro retina

bla bla bla gargle gargle gargle...my god

Nice come back, really proved your point. I'm out of this one, hope the info was of use OP.

• Like 3

You can def run it at 1080p and med/high settings, but crank it up to native res and it will melt the hardware xD

I just don't get it.

He is asking if the game would work on the new Macbook retina. Just that, a really simple question for people that own that model of Macbook or a previous one.

And here come all the HURR MAC SUKS mentally challenged individuals to spout how they can build an atomic computer for 600 dollars. That was NOT the question, ffs.

This is a forum, we all have the opportunity to voice our opinions, stop thinking you're so superior (Typical Mac User) to the rest of us.

people all ways get out of control flameing when a mac is invloved... anyways op i got a macbook air 2010 with the nvidia 320m and the game runs JUST FINE in bootcamp with win7 64 bit (there is no native mac port of arma 2 sadly ) i have about 25-40 fps avg around 30 (i record game at about 20 stable ish ) so you should have No issues what so ever with the better specs :D

Happy gaming! hope to see you out there surviving. though.. might kill you for your beans :beans: :P

I'll just say you could build a much more powerful desktop for the price of that thing

LOL macbook...

• Like 1

Lulz at everyone peddling the old "macs can't play games" bullshit argument.

Dude - if you're installing bootcamp then you've got a beast of a gaming machine right there. I have a 2011 MBP, 2.3ghz quad core i7 with 16gb ram, so similar to yours. I've never, ever had any issue running games at high settings, including things like Crysis 2.

That said, the Arma 2 engine is a pig. I'm running at native res (something you unfortunately have to do to avoid blurriness), so have most of my setting cranked down fairly low. It still looks good and plays super slick.

In short, don't listen to these idiot PC fanboys here who've probably never even ever used a mac - DayZ will run absolutely fine under bootcamp on your new machine. Finding enough free keys to map all the commands to, well, that's a different story!

This is a forum, we all have the opportunity to voice our opinions, stop thinking you're so superior (Typical Mac User) to the rest of us.

Look, another moron. Please, I beg you, point the comment where I say I am superior for using a Mac...you won't find it because there is none. I will try to explain this again: OP asked one question about Macs and people are coming here to say that MAK SUKKS DUUUUHHHHHHHHHH, If that is your mentality, then I can say that Im far superior than you, yes.

I have a far worse MacBook pro, early 2010 15", I can run on low, I do get into some trouble when I aggro a lot of zombies or in the middle of a large town. Like I said though, mine is a lot worse.

Why people getting so mad, it's obvious you can build a much better desktop for around $500-600, but can you guys bring your desktop to classes? And for my audio editing the programs come only for mac, I love my windows desktop, but if I had to choose i would have to take my MacBook pro over my desktop because of school and compatibility with the programs I require, so if you can flame me for buying a Mac, you sir (ma'am) can have the cords and server to my camp with multiple (non-duped, non-hacked) as50's and heli crash only items.

Macbook Pro Early 2011 = 2,5Ghz Corei7 - 8 Go - ATI 6770m - HD 5200/RoundPerMinutes (ill get a ssd soon)

In order to get decent fps - above 30:

-I had to run at 1400*900

-AA Off (use fxaa anyway)

-PostFx Off

-Shadow Off

-and all the rest to low.

But the game is still enjoyable.

Weird thing is that i had worst perf than with my 4 years old desktop PC : Core2duo + ATI 5770 + HD 7200rpm.

Maybe I didnt installed the last bootcamp drivers correctly.

Anyway, I'll buy an ssd soon and more ram so i'll keep you guyz posted.

Edited by RastaKoueR

Don't listen to the retards. I have a late 2010 Macbook Pro with a 2.53 GHz (540M) Intel Core i5, 4 GB and Nvidia GeForce 330M with 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory, and Windows 7 bootcamped. I can run the game on the lowest settings. You definitely would be able to run the game fine with normal-high settings and decent frame rate.

He's right the other guys are just supporting windows it's like that but if u do t feel fine with getting Mac then do what you want no one is stopping you:)

Word to the idiots - you can build a better desktop PC than any gaming laptop for 6-700 dollars/pounds whatever.

His question was simply can he run arma 2 in bootbamp on a RMBP, the answer is yes, probably in low-medium settings.

Even on my gaming PC I get crappy framerates, SO WHO KNOWS?!

Arma 2 sucks balls as a gaming engine, its buggy and poorly optimised.

I use a Mac for my work, only booting into Windows 7 Ultimate for a bit of indie gaming and Steam classics like L4D. DayZ runs pretty well on my late 2011 Quad i7 MacBook Pro with Radeon HD 6750. I have most settings Normal/High.

OP, I think you'll be fine.

I'm sorry but this conversation is simply painful to read. It's like listening to primary school children arguing about the relative pros/cons of Pokemon.

Yes, you can build a great gaming PC (probably two) for the price of a MBP Retina.

Yes, the MBP Retina will run DayZ although not as fast as a dedicated gaming desktop/laptop

Yes, a lot of people like Mac's.

Yes, a lot of people hate Apple.

No, this argument will never end.

Move on.

• Like 4

Why? The graphics card isn't that bad and it has a new quad core CPU and 16GB of RAM! Is the GPU really that much of an issue?

IronMan

It's a pretty weak card. Expect to run the game on low, and don't expect to run the game anywhere close to the native resolution of the retina screen.

I'm sorry but this conversation is simply painful to read. It's like listening to primary school children arguing about the relative pros/cons of Pokemon.

Yes, you can build a great gaming PC (probably two) for the price of a MBP Retina.

Yes, the MBP Retina will run DayZ although not as fast as a dedicated gaming desktop/laptop

Yes, a lot of people like Mac's.

Yes, a lot of people hate Apple.

No, this argument will never end.

Move on.

The Ape is smarter than the humans in this thread ...

• Like 1

Until this year, I've never really gotten into Apple products, especially being a Zune fanboy. I recently got an iPad 3, as well as a new rMBP with 2.7/16/512 ssd. This thing is AMAZING! Although it will be a while before software devs make their programs high-dpi/"retina" compatible, I am finally glad to have a Macbook Pro. It's thinner and more powerful than any laptop I've owned. I previously had a first-gen HP ENVY 17, which I still love, but this thing blows it out of the water!

Also, FWIW, it's not a fair comparison between laptops and desktops.

Anyways, I just installed DayZ on my Win7 bootcamp partition, and it's running pretty great! I'm on my way out the door from work, so I'll have to get back to you on how high I can get settings before it's too laggy. I just tested 1600x900 with low shadows, no post processing, medium details, and it felt like 40-60fps in Cherno. I also need to install fraps.

Edit- I installed fraps. This game runs quite well IMHO. 2880x1800 gave me a near-unplayable 20-25 fps, while 1920x1200 gave me 30-45; all tested while looking through a window in Cherno. Changing my interface down to 1920x1200 forced my game to change the 3D to 1280x800, and it was 45-65 FPS, without looking too bad. I think I'm going to play at 1920x1200 or 1600x1000 (or something in-between) rez, though. It looks great, runs smooth, and I'm sure you guys will enjoy it! Just tinker with setting 'til you find something you like! :D

Edited by CSPhobos

I have a new MacBook Pro Retina Display running the latest build of Windows 8, Arma 2:CO and DayZ.

Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead run great with high settings. The game is fluid and beautiful. However, DayZ is so choppy that it is unplayable, even with all the settings at their lowest values the games just doesn't work. :(