RSF TheCapulet

[GUIDE] City Sized Maps - WIP

Hey Cap love the maps great for me not even in the Mod (I only have arma2free) so thank you and also I will help you go over the maps for stuff you may have missed like houses (I spend a lot of time looking around citys for good hiding spots or clear line of sights if I am sniping so I helping you will be easy lol. Also a app would be kick ass hope to get a Ipod ported version. If you can have the map with icons and with out that way ppl can see whats what and also see where POI are but over all really really good thank you.

Just wondering, why is the cup of coffee icon marked "zombies" in the legend? (bottom right of your pictures). What does it represent?

Working on a few more cities. But also' date=' looking at putting these into an android app as well. So that's eating some time.

[/quote']

Thanks for all the hard work you have done! I had to do a double read when I saw the word android, I have been dreaming of a android app so I can scout out towns and plan my trip threw them when I'm offline or having a smoke.

Can't wait for the app, it will make you a DayZ god!

Hey Cap love the maps great for me not even in the Mod (I only have arma2free) so thank you and also I will help you go over the maps for stuff you may have missed like houses (I spend a lot of time looking around citys for good hiding spots or clear line of sights if I am sniping so I helping you will be easy lol. Also a app would be kick ass hope to get a Ipod ported version. If you can have the map with icons and with out that way ppl can see whats what and also see where POI are but over all really really good thank you.

Thanks! Once a have a few more defined goals' date=' I'll send you a PM with some possible things to do. And mentioning using this outside of DayZ is ironic, because I was literally just thinking about making a selectable overlay for the maps to theme it for DayZ and vanilla Arma 2. As for developing it for iPod, I don't own any apple devices, and so I can't get the development tools needed. Apple requires it's devs to have an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to develop for their mobile OS. Once I'm done, if someone wants to port it over to Apple stuff, I'll gladly lend the code.

Just wondering, why is the cup of coffee icon marked "zombies" in the legend? (bottom right of your pictures). What does it represent?

Mistake. It's supposed to say "bistro", but I plan on changing it to "Resturant/Pub" to be more descriptive (since after reading the signs on the buildings IG, I realized what the buildings actually were. :P).

Thanks for all the hard work you have done! I had to do a double read when I saw the word android' date=' I have been dreaming of a android app so I can scout out towns and plan my trip threw them when I'm offline or having a smoke.

Can't wait for the app, it will make you a DayZ god!

[/quote']

Thanks! Glad there is some interest in it.

Good work, I was thinking of doing this myself for an Android App.

If you need help with the graphic design just ask.

Thanks! Once a have a few more defined goals, I'll send you a PM with some possible things to do. And mentioning using this outside of DayZ is ironic, because I was literally just thinking about making a selectable overlay for the maps to theme it for DayZ and vanilla Arma 2. As for developing it for iPod, I don't own any apple devices, and so I can't get the development tools needed. Apple requires it's devs to have an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to develop for their mobile OS. Once I'm done, if someone wants to port it over to Apple stuff, I'll gladly lend the code.

I own a Ipod so I can always help port it over and I have a lot of free time so yea

Good work' date=' I was thinking of doing this myself for an Android App.

[/quote']

Hmm, send me some ideas you have, and I'll take a look.

I own a Ipod so I can always help port it over and I have a lot of free time so yea

Heh, it's a bit more complicated than that. I mean that apple doesn't provide an emulator (afaik) for their device to test your code on incrementally. So I'd have to physically do it on an iPod, etc; Unless you can code. In that case, I'll offer you all the help I can in porting when I have something to give you.

Good work' date=' I was thinking of doing this myself for an Android App.

[/quote']

Hmm, send me some ideas you have, and I'll take a look.

Heh' date=' it's a bit more complicated than that. I mean that apple doesn't provide an emulator (afaik) for their device to test your code on incrementally. So I'd have to physically do it on an iPod, etc; Unless you can code. In that case, I'll offer you all the help I can in porting when I have something to give you.

[/quote']

Sent you a PM :)

I'm good with using the maps in a browser...

:D

What you're really saying is that you haven't broken down and bought a tablet yet. :P It doesn't get better than panning and zooming your map beside your monitor while you play. ;)

I just have my browser open on my second monitor.

What I'm really asking for is the maps first, ambitious plan to port to other devices second.

;)

I just have my browser open on my second monitor.

What I'm really asking for is the maps first' date=' ambitious plan to port to other devices second.

;)

[/quote']

Of course that in order to port something, first you gotta have a completed product first, so no worries there. P:

There will be a update very soon guys been working with Cap to help him search for POI so he just has too look over what i sent him so far

Instead of spending time on this (it is good though), it would be way cooler for someone to make a street view of Chernarus

Also, wouldn't it make more sense to add this all to the Wiki map?

Instead of spending time on this (it is good though)' date=' it would be way cooler for someone to make a street view of Chernarus

[hr']

Also, wouldn't it make more sense to add this all to the Wiki map?

street view of Chernarus would be a lot harder and take a lot longer cuz we would have to make it like google maps I dont feel like doing that and I am sure Cap wont want to do that ether

and for the WIKI map I dont think it will be added cuz we dont work with them and thats u to Cap I only help him but ill bring it up to him and ask him what he thinks he is a busy man so I dont know if he will look at this thread soon or not

I just have seen a few separate tracks from different people working on their own little personal maps, and it seems that we could all have better/faster map implemented if people consolidated their efforts. I've been extensively using the wiki map, and it's been most beneficial so far: Super complicated/detailed maps are just harder to look at glance and take longer to load/navigate.

The street would have been for my buddy who can't use the map for the life of himself. In-game literally.

Sorry guys. My GF just moved in and I've been pretty swamped with work. Updates ARE coming, I promise. But I'm moving to a new webhost in the next day or two, and I wanted to wait till then to update.

As for working with the wiki, they haven't asked. ;) Otherwise, I'm just far too busy to go searching out groups to join for this. I've offered collaboration to a couple other map builders, but gave up after no response from either.

Also, streetview would take a massive amount of work. Not just coding it into a google-like java web-app, but more because it would take an insane amount of time to go through each town taking so many shots. Google has a 360 degree vehicle mounted camera. I have fraps. :P

Also, I'd like to say thanks to wasthatme. He's been a big help in getting the biggest cities polished off completely.

Sorry guys. My GF just moved in and I've been pretty swamped with work. Updates ARE coming' date=' I promise. But I'm moving to a new webhost in the next day or two, and I wanted to wait till then to update.

As for working with the wiki, they haven't asked. ;) Otherwise, I'm just far too busy to go searching out groups to join for this. I've offered collaboration to a couple other map builders, but gave up after no response from either.

[hr']

Also, streetview would take a massive amount of work. Not just coding it into a google-like java web-app, but more because it would take an insane amount of time to go through each town taking so many shots. Google has a 360 degree vehicle mounted camera. I have fraps. :P

Also, I'd like to say thanks to wasthatme. He's been a big help in getting the biggest cities polished off completely.

yea i meant to add the pic factor and its wazthatme not wasthatme :P its fun to help you out on this project and I hope to help you with more:cool:

Maps are down this weekend while I change hosts. Will have new maps up by the beginning of the week. Sorry for taking so long on this update guys.