fearz0r

Last night I killed a man.

If you want a tip, if you are a friendl and find someone, act like a bandit. Get your gun out and tell him to get down and drop weapons or you will shoot, if he tries anything, shoot his leg and run, if not, you can now talk and try to find out what he wants

After enjoying a glitched ladder and plummeting to my death, I found myself back on the beach. I have a look up and down the coast and just 10 feet away, another survivor pops up. Both of us with absolutely nothing enter an epic staredown. I think we simultaniously realized nothing could happen at this point, and make a path, together, to an industrial building just up the coast. TomCat10, my new "friend" finds a makarov upstairs and I find a hatchet ("GG Zeds, I've got a hatchet. Game over"). when we meet on the ground floor, weapons in hand.. another tense moment. Will he fire on me? Cleary I have the advantage, my hatchet is DEVISTATING, and I'm in range... his Makarov? Can that thing even HIT me? Knowing I've got a good hours run back to my friends, and knowing the beach lotto could save me 30 minutes jog, I go ahead and turn back to the open garage bay, letting TomCat10 make the decision. He decides to not shoot me, and we continue traveling together through the village, then onward to the city. by the time we break out of the city on the north side, he's got a lee enfeild and a czechpack, I've picked up a revolver and some basic medical supplies. Then he takes a shot at me. I'm thinking he's defending me from an incoming zed.. no, he's decided our friendship has concluded. I dive for cover, and see 3 escape routes that should give me enough cover. 2 more shots my direction, at damn close range (15 feet perhaps), and I make my choice. I roll out from cover and put 2 rounds his way.

Just before I fired my third round into his skull, he chimes over the mic (for the first time) and says "I'm sorry". This is also, frighteningly, the first time i notice the character's mouth moves when you talk. I kill him, take his supplies, and haul ass. This was not my first kill, but it was the first kill I had to physically take a break from playing (it was also the first kill that got any sort of reaction outside the game from me). I was really shaken up. the combination of tense standoffs, co-operation throughout the city, cover and rescue, and finally the attempted betrayal... And then to see that face staring back, "I'm sorry" just before I silenced him forever....

Edited by KrystoferRobin
  • Like 2

I too commited my first murder this weekend; although I can't describe it in such dramatic prose as the OP. The wife and I (yeah, the missus plays too, she's a 'gamer girl'.) were approaching a barn. I was leading as I had a Winchester and she was unarmed due to having no magazines for her 1911. I edge out from the woodline, look to my left and see a crouched figure....my first thought as a take aim is it's a hopper zed and as I squeeze the trigger (well, press the mouse button but y'know what I mean) I realise it's another player..too late as the Winchester drops him with one shot. All he had was a hatchet but was out of range to be dangerous to us. It made me feel genuinely guilty to have dropped that guy.

However, I put the universe back in balance by saving some random French guy who came running up to the two of us in a woodline yelling " 'Elp me, 'elp meeeee " on voice as he was being chased by a very persistant zed. I killed the zed and off he went with a "Merci, zank you". Had the missus and I chuckling for a while, just a bizarre thing to happen.

I don't have the kill on sight mentality in this game and find the challenge in seeing how long I can survive with what I can find, I'm not into server hopping and getting all the shiny shooters and bling. If you act dangerous then I'll take you on but I won't drop you just because you are in my line of sight.

After enjoying a glitched ladder and plummeting to my death, I found myself back on the beach. I have a look up and down the coast and just 10 feet away, another survivor pops up. Both of us with absolutely nothing enter an epic staredown. I think we simultaniously realized nothing could happen at this point, and make a path, together, to an industrial building just up the coast. TomCat10, my new "friend" finds a makarov upstairs and I find a hatchet (My friends quote me on this constantly "GG Zeds, I've got a hatchet. Game over"). when we meet on the ground floor, weapons in hand.. another tense moment. Will he fire on me? Cleary I have the advantage, my hatchet is DEVISTATING, and I'm in range... his Makarov? Can that thing even HIT me? Knowing I've got a good hours run back to my friends, and knowing the beach lotto could save me 30 minutes jog, I go ahead and turn back to the open garage bay, letting TomCat10 make the decision. He decides to not shoot me, and we continue traveling together through the village, then onward to the city. by the time we break out of the city on the north side, he's got a lee enfeild and a czechpack, I've picked up a revolver and some basic medical supplies. Then he takes a shot at me. I'm thinking he's defending me from an incoming zed.. no, he's decided our friendship has concluded. I dive for cover, and see 3 escape routes that should give me enough cover. 2 more shots my direction, at damn close range (15 feet perhaps), and I make my choice. I roll out from cover and put 2 rounds his way.

Just before I fired my third round into his skull, he chimes over the mic (for the first time) and says "I'm sorry". This is also, frighteningly, the first time i notice the character's mouth moves when you talk. I kill him, take his supplies, and haul ass. This was not my first kill, but it was the first kill I had to physically take a break from playing (it was also the first kill that got any sort of reaction outside the game from me). I was really shaken up. the combination of tense standoffs, co-operation throughout the city, cover and rescue, and finally the attempted betrayal... And then to see that face staring back, "I'm sorry" just before I silenced him forever....

Epic. I've had a couple of situations like that too. It's actually terrifying running with a stranger, even though you've spent the last 20 minutes finding gear and weapons, and once kitted out there's an electricity in the air... you both know two things; 1) you don't know this person or what they're thinking/planning. And 2) you both have the means to kill each other.

In my case I found a Makarov and stayed crouched in the building with the other survivor. I game chat to him, "look, I've found a Makarov, I'm completely friendly and I have nothing to gain from killing you as I know you have nothing on you" ...he still ran out of the building and down the road.

About ten minutes later, I'm crouched by some bins behind some buildings and I saw the same guy run passed. I shout out "Hey, buddy.. I'm on your left. Do you need a hand any mor.." I pause, I see he now has a gun, a double barrel shotgun. He turns and sees me.. 'BOOM!' he shoots, and misses, 'BOOM!' he tries again!! I shout "MATE, FRIENDLY, F-R-I-E-N-D-L-Y!!"... but yet he reloads. Instincts kick in, I shoot, but I don't want to kill him, I feel like he's only trying to stay alive and I must have startled him. My shots ring out, 'BANG BANG BANG BANG'... the wall near him erupts from the hits. He dives down to the ground, I step behind the bins I'm next to, equip a smoke grenade and throw it in his direction. The smoke grenade quickly masks his body, I wait for one second, 'BOOM, BOOM' goes his shotgun again! "Right, f**k this!" I think to myself, and I sprint out from behind the bins, around the corner, through the smoke, down behind the fire station, up the hill and off into the distance...

Since then, I've only played with people I know and avoid all other players like the plague.

I too commited my first murder this weekend; although I can't describe it in such dramatic prose as the OP. The wife and I (yeah, the missus plays too, she's a 'gamer girl'.) were approaching a barn. I was leading as I had a Winchester and she was unarmed due to having no magazines for her 1911. I edge out from the woodline, look to my left and see a crouched figure....my first thought as a take aim is it's a hopper zed and as I squeeze the trigger (well, press the mouse button but y'know what I mean) I realise it's another player..too late as the Winchester drops him with one shot. All he had was a hatchet but was out of range to be dangerous to us. It made me feel genuinely guilty to have dropped that guy.

However, I put the universe back in balance by saving some random French guy who came running up to the two of us in a woodline yelling " 'Elp me, 'elp meeeee " on voice as he was being chased by a very persistant zed. I killed the zed and off he went with a "Merci, zank you". Had the missus and I chuckling for a while, just a bizarre thing to happen.

I don't have the kill on sight mentality in this game and find the challenge in seeing how long I can survive with what I can find, I'm not into server hopping and getting all the shiny shooters and bling. If you act dangerous then I'll take you on but I won't drop you just because you are in my line of sight.

"Elp me" :D

Edited by Burro

Wow, totally cool story. I feel the same way, at times my heart is jumping out of my chest in certain situations. I have a few murders under my belt and only one was out of nessessity to try and stay alive as I was horribly wounded in a secluded area. The others were defense, probably still my fault for hanging in cherno too long.

• Like 1

Nice story. I have to add that is that guy was experianced in Dayz there would be no way he would be holding a torch and no gun unless he did not care if he was seen or not. Only a noob would go into stary unarmed with a torch on, unless noone else was on the server.

I had simialr feeling of guilt when I killed someone for the first time. It was another case of wrong place and a bad time.

I think your story is a somewhat accurate reflection of how you would feel in real life, should you kill anyone. Well, of course, I only said somewhat accurate because realistically, you'd most likely be suffering from PTSD by now, lol. Nice story, anyway.

Nice story. I have to add that is that guy was experianced in Dayz there would be no way he would be holding a torch and no gun unless he did not care if he was seen or not. Only a noob would go into stary unarmed with a torch on, unless noone else was on the server.

I had simialr feeling of guilt when I killed someone for the first time. It was another case of wrong place and a bad time.

Very true. I think two things struck me when the player turned on his torch; Firstly, "WTF! A torch! Shit, he might actually see me in the bushes!" And secondly, "Oh god.. He's either quite new or a risk taking brave vet who can handle a hostile situation should one arise"

I guess he was the former. :(

I think your story is a somewhat accurate reflection of how you would feel in real life, should you kill anyone. Well, of course, I only said somewhat accurate because realistically, you'd most likely be suffering from PTSD by now, lol. Nice story, anyway.

Indeed, I do still feel bad now. But as you say, if this was in real life I would probably be a real wreck right now.

Wow, totally cool story. I feel the same way, at times my heart is jumping out of my chest in certain situations. I have a few murders under my belt and only one was out of nessessity to try and stay alive as I was horribly wounded in a secluded area. The others were defense, probably still my fault for hanging in cherno too long.

Yeah, that's exactly why I stay clear of the big towns and airfields... unwanted attention and conflict. ^_^

this story actually made my heart race just reading it! Bloody good read, a real freaking page turner. IDK how i would react in this situation, its really fight or flight but just remember, if he was in your shoes, i'm sure he would've blasted you without thinking twice. So don't beat yourself up too much :)

• Like 2

Awesome story,

I've just started playing the last couple of days and am taking the friendly route, shouting friendly over voice has got me into trouble but I think I'll keep doing it for now. I've had a few choice encounters but this one today was pretty good,

Today, just after spawning I was in the need of some descent loot which had drawn me to the fire station in Elektro. As I approached I saw this guy run into the fire station... I stopped and watched for a while and not seeing him again I started shouting friendly over chat and voice, he didn't reply and I thought I'd continue to approach... As I crawled down the hill towards he opened on me, I was hit and bleeding so I jumped up and ran around the power plant across from the fire station... I once again shouted friendly once again got no response, I bandaged myself up and thought what the hell am I going to do now...

I knew the fire station had good loot in which was why I was there in the first place. It struck me I didn't have much to lose, I've only just spawned so sod it, Ill go investigate... I looped around a bit towards the station through another building where I picked up my first item, a hatchet. I kept crawling on slowly and cautiously coming at the station from the other side now. I could see the station doors so now was the time and I just went for it. I lept up and ran through the large fire station doors and looked around... Nothing... Maybe he's left then?

I started the ascent to the top floor thinking he's gone but maybe he's left something behind I can use. I went up one flight of stairs, found some beans and began to relax a bit thinking the danger was over... I climbed the next set of stairs and then...

There he was lying down with a rifle looking over the surrounding area. I instantly reacted and plunged the hatchet into him as he whirled around, I don't know whether he got he shot off but I just kept swinging... I didn't know whether he was unconscious or dead so I repeatably plunged the axe into him, again and again and again... Blood spewing everywhere... After what must of been 15 swipes of the axe I stopped... He was definitely dead...

I took all the loot he'd gathered, he must of been playing a while as it was descent stuff and hi-tailed it out of there... I thought to myself, was what I did right? Self defense? Shit, he could of been just as scared as I was... It's a good example of not trusting someone backfiring though.

Great game, great game.

great read, although you could have stayed prone and let him go on his way, but i guess pressure makes people do things diffrently

+1 for leaving his gear, although if he did not return then taking nothing was waste of a life

Edited by Lokiz

All of my beans, they belong to you, you have my help if you ever need a survivor at your back, just message me.

I know you may not trust me, but i can prove my worth, even if you have me disarmed of a primary.

You get used to it. The first couple murders are always something of a system shock, and then you get used to it, and then you get addicted to it.

After enjoying a glitched ladder and plummeting to my death, I found myself back on the beach. I have a look up and down the coast and just 10 feet away, another survivor pops up. Both of us with absolutely nothing enter an epic staredown. I think we simultaniously realized nothing could happen at this point, and make a path, together, to an industrial building just up the coast. TomCat10, my new "friend" finds a makarov upstairs and I find a hatchet (My friends quote me on this constantly "GG Zeds, I've got a hatchet. Game over"). when we meet on the ground floor, weapons in hand.. another tense moment. Will he fire on me? Cleary I have the advantage, my hatchet is DEVISTATING, and I'm in range... his Makarov? Can that thing even HIT me? Knowing I've got a good hours run back to my friends, and knowing the beach lotto could save me 30 minutes jog, I go ahead and turn back to the open garage bay, letting TomCat10 make the decision. He decides to not shoot me, and we continue traveling together through the village, then onward to the city. by the time we break out of the city on the north side, he's got a lee enfeild and a czechpack, I've picked up a revolver and some basic medical supplies. Then he takes a shot at me. I'm thinking he's defending me from an incoming zed.. no, he's decided our friendship has concluded. I dive for cover, and see 3 escape routes that should give me enough cover. 2 more shots my direction, at damn close range (15 feet perhaps), and I make my choice. I roll out from cover and put 2 rounds his way.

that is mad how people can be like that, great read

Edited by Lokiz

So good to see there are players out there like myself still enjoying the game in the way I do.

Great story.

I'm completely blown away at how many people seem to like my story. Although it was a bit of an unfortunate experience for me, I think sharing events like these really bring together the mod's community.

I'm thinking about maybe writing a survivors log, tracking our (Sean and I) stories and adventures (or misadventures) for the forum and community. I do believe half of the appeal for me is reading other people's experiences in this mod, how it affects them and makes them do things they never thought they would do.

Thanks to all that took time to read my story.

Awesome story..

Great game, great game.

Indeed. You sound like you've had some great adventures too. You should document them as well :)

great read, although you could have stayed prone and let him go on his way, but i guess pressure makes people do things diffrently

+1 for leaving his gear, although if he did not return then taking nothing was waste of a life

I could have stayed prone. I wanted to. I don't like to kill in this mod. But I just didn't feel safe. I did fear for my life, and so did what I felt I had to do.

I couldn't bring myself to ransack his bag after gunning him down. I do hope he collected it, but if not, I'm sure someone else would have.

All of my beans, they belong to you, you have my help if you ever need a survivor at your back, just message me.

I know you may not trust me, but i can prove my worth, even if you have me disarmed of a primary.

Thank man, as a true survivor, I'll take whatever I can get ^_^

You get used to it. The first couple murders are always something of a system shock, and then you get used to it, and then you get addicted to it.

I don't agree buddy. I'm not playing this, I'm experiencing. I behave in game how I behave in life. I don't want to desensitise myself to killing others. In a simulator, that's just too similar to the real thing. Not my cup of tea basically mate ^_^

You guys play just like me, to survive. Message me and lets see about joining up, ive got skype so I can voice chat.

Sure, I'll be starting over in a few days as a friend of mine wants to try out Day Z. PM me and i'll add you to my Skype.

So good to see there are players out there like myself still enjoying the game in the way I do.

Great story.

Thanks mate, I appreciate the time you took to read it.

Oh man, that was a fantastic read, nicely written story.

You can just take my beans.

You lost your virginity. Congrats, its about time!

It will get easier.

My 1st PK was also at stary. I can remember it like it was just yesterday. His name was snubs. I came form the coast to gear up at stary at night, found an enfield on the way. Moved up form the hill from east and saw those loot piles and thought that someone was really busy. That was the work of at least 1h farming. I watched the situtation for a few minutes then he threw a flare and ran into a tent I aimed my rifle at the entrance, my heart was pumping like crazy and waited for him to move out the tent, he did and I shot and he dropped (I didn't even think of looting him) and the zombies were coming for me I ran and almost died to the zombies and needed around 1,5h to recover my blood - Karma was just knocking at the door. And tbh I really felt sry for snubs and guilty for almost a week or so. In that week I really thought about why I did kill him and I can't say, I just did.

And now... a few weeks later, a few kills more...there are still some kills which are following me for quite some time, but it will get easier...or your soul just gets darker...who knows.

Welcome to the dark side, Burro?!

Oh boy I love this game!

Edited by *=LP=*Cpt.Kawa

Awesome story man,

I'm glad to see guys like you, who NOT shoot someone because its funny or something

Sometimes it has to be... Or you get killed

Everytime if i get shooted my heart is beating like crazy and i have to defend my self.

It will get easier, but its allways a stressed experience in my opinion

+1 beans ;)

Edited by Sello

Thanks Burro. I came early from work today, I saw this thread at work and I sent it home. I made a cup of coffee and sat down to read. It is like a passage from a good book. Well written and fascinating. Hope to read more of your "ingame-happened"-stories here.

Well done, Sir.

Oh man, that was a fantastic read, nicely written story.

You can just take my beans.

Thanks buddy, I do try to give atmosphere to my stories. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

You lost your virginity. Congrats, its about time!

It will get easier.

My 1st PK was also at stary...

And now... a few weeks later, a few kills more...there are still some kills which are following me for quite some time, but it will get easier...or your soul just gets darker...who knows.

Welcome to the dark side, Burro?!

Oh boy I love this game!

Don't! please.. I'm not a murderer.. I'm not! *sobs*... :lol:

Awesome story man,

I'm glad to see guys like you, who NOT shoot someone because its funny or something

Sometimes it has to be... Or you get killed

Everytime if i get shooted my heart is beating like crazy and i have to defend my self.

It will get easier, but its allways a stressed experience in my opinion

+1 beans ;)

Thanks for beans matey! glad you liked the story.

Thanks Burro. I came early from work today, I saw this thread at work and I sent it home. I made a cup of coffee and sat down to read. It is like a passage from a good book. Well written and fascinating. Hope to read more of your "ingame-happened"-stories here.

Well done, Sir.

Thanks for the great feedback Flail, I'm really pleased to hear you enjoyed it. I feel compelled to write more short stories after all the positive comments I've received in this thread.

Watch this space.

• Like 1

Don't! please.. I'm not a murderer.. I'm not! *sobs*... :lol:

You know it, I know it and everybody in here knows it the dark spark in you got lighten up. Once there was a glimpse of hope for you, but the last stand in you fell at this day in Stary Sobor. Now you are on a path with no way back - he turned his back, you could have let him go, but you didn't: Something inside you rushed you to taste the bittersweet of taking someones life, now you crossed the line.

And in a few weeks time you will roam around the woods with your companion scanning the horzion with your deep dark eyes to find the next quick and dirty adrenline rush one gets rewarded form taking someonelses life. Silently you will make your way, as the last words have been said a long time ago. Your never ending hunger for blood drives you now nothing else.

Just let it go, the dark side has you already!

:lol: :lol:

Edited by *=LP=*Cpt.Kawa
  • Like 2