fearz0r

Last night I killed a man.

That happened to us in Cherno earlier tonight. We were doing a loot sweep with a 4 man ground team and a 2 man SR team on the grain elevators. As we finished our sweep, our SR team took fire from a treeline some 700m distant, and both died. Then we were pinned down in the construction site for a long time, trying to place the source of the fire. You hear the crack and impact of the bullet, then a second later comes the BOOM of the weapon. Finally we rushed back to the grain elevator to recover their gear. We were pinned on the roof of that building for almost 30 minutes with accurate rifle fire from the west, north and south. In fits and starts, our guys made it back down the ladder and began pursuing contacts. One guy rolled up Vysota hill and engaged a bandit, killing him. Two more cleared the power station west of town. It sits on a clearing atop a hill that overlooks the whole city. They reported contact and we heard a huge gunfight erupt. They both lost their lives but claimed another kill. Finally, I descended the ladder to pursue one more shooter, who was still on that hill. I ran around the hospital and apt buildings and up into the treeline. I caught him running down, and we engaged each other at about 50 feet distance with our M4s. I got the murder, yet I bled out from his shots.

I'm still shaking from the adrenaline.

• Like 2

kill a fool for shining a light in your eye? you a cold sunuvabitch.

this just goes to prove how paranoid this game makes you. i had to cross through a park in the dark last night after playing DayZ and found my self scanning the horizon for silhouettes of fuckers trying to take muh beans. i had my ghillie suit on tho so no biggie.

• Like 1

Nice story man. You play the game like I do, 148 zombie kills no murders on day 5 for me.

I was faced with a similar situation on one of my first lives except his torch was a gun and I took the bullet.

Thanks matey, that's an impressive zombie tally, nice going!

Shame about your 'similar situation' though :o

Man, this is why I haven't killed anyone in this game yet, and won't if I can help it. I've had to talk my team mates out of killing people before on a couple of occasions. Tonight being one of them...

I've no idea what the guy in this video was at, but he appeared to be running towards our gunfire and trying to figure out which way we had gone. We could have easily killed him and my friend got up from prone at one point to shoot him, but we managed to talk him out of it and let the guy live.

Maybe he just needed help...A blood transfusion, some food, water...All stuff I could have given, but he didn't respond to the voice chat and he was very erratic and I wasn't willing to reveal myself and take that risk.

I've stayed alive this long and become this well equipped because I have kept myself and my team mates safe by only taking calculated risks....Mostly.

Personally I prefer to remain unseen and avoid confrontation. I've had plenty of people in my sights that never knew. I always try to empathise with them and that keeps my judgement right.

If I had some way of knowing they were murderers or were just deathmatching, I would have no problem putting them down, but if I felt there was a chance that I was killing someone that meant me no harm, I'd feel like sh*t.

Nice going, taking another player down is a cool thing to do in this game. Having watched your video, I don't think that random guy was a threat to you three. He wasn't responding because he was out of range of the game chat. It did sound like your friend had a little blood lust too :huh: when he wanted to engage as the guy was running away... oh well, each to their own I guess.

On a side note, you three are well brave for running out in open fields on a day server.. you wouldn't catch Sean and I doing that! If we had to cross a field, we'd do it prone and we'd do it slow.. :D

Burro I wish I could roll with you or find someone like you to survive with. Cool read - its exactly what makes this game so great to me. Good luck out there. If you ever want to meet up send me a pm!

Hey man, thanks for the kind words. I am more than happy to meet up with like minded players. PM me with a time, server, and coordinates and I'll make my way there... Well, I might actually recon it first to be honest ;)

If you think it's intense when you can see the player, wait till a bullet flies past your head from seemingly nowhere, or you hear the distinctive blat of an M107. Dive for cover and hope like hell you're looking in the right direction. If you're with a group there's those ten seconds where everybody's shouting but nobody knows what in god's name is going on. Then... silence.

My first murder was a 400m shot with the Lee Enfield. I was still new and unaware of the 'Dinner Bell' effect. The other player had an Enfield and was climbing up the outside of one of the firehouse towers in Elektro. I hesitated for only a moment because there was no doubt in my mind what this player was up to.

I'm probably something of a cranky bastard, I hestitate under most circumstances but if they have already fired on me, my immediate reaction is "I'm gonna kill this fucker!"

lol - i can appreciate that, though I would have fallen back to cover personally. I really hate discharging a weapon in a town.. just too risky :D

That happened to us in Cherno earlier tonight. We were doing a loot sweep with a 4 man ground team and a 2 man SR team on the grain elevators. As we finished our sweep, our SR team took fire from a treeline some 700m distant, and both died. Then we were pinned down in the construction site for a long time, trying to place the source of the fire. You hear the crack and impact of the bullet, then a second later comes the BOOM of the weapon. Finally we rushed back to the grain elevator to recover their gear. We were pinned on the roof of that building for almost 30 minutes with accurate rifle fire from the west, north and south. In fits and starts, our guys made it back down the ladder and began pursuing contacts. One guy rolled up Vysota hill and engaged a bandit, killing him. Two more cleared the power station west of town. It sits on a clearing atop a hill that overlooks the whole city. They reported contact and we heard a huge gunfight erupt. They both lost their lives but claimed another kill. Finally, I descended the ladder to pursue one more shooter, who was still on that hill. I ran around the hospital and apt buildings and up into the treeline. I caught him running down, and we engaged each other at about 50 feet distance with our M4s. I got the murder, yet I bled out from his shots.

I'm still shaking from the adrenaline.

That sounded intense.. you boys had a crazy fire fight from multiple directions, and you managed to push out and go on the offense.. good going. Tragic how you all died though. At least it was in Elektro, so you could recover your items. Thanks for sharing Patterson!

kill a fool for shining a light in your eye? you a cold sunuvabitch.

this just goes to prove how paranoid this game makes you. i had to cross through a park in the dark last night after playing DayZ and found my self scanning the horizon for silhouettes of fuckers trying to take muh beans. i had my ghillie suit on tho so no biggie.

haha - mate, it was a tense moment... he could have had a glock 17 with attached torch.. I just didn't know for sure. He could have seen me when he lit me up, realised I wasn't shooting, having noticed the rifle behind him in the tent seconds before, decided to make a dash for it, grab it, turn and shoot me.. I couldn't risk that.. I had to do what I had to do.. :(

i like your story, but...

you were in stary. stary murder-capital-of-chernarus sobor. on the danger meter i'd put stary a notch above even nw airfield. if you are not prepared to kill, you should probably stay away from military sites.

you see, i can understand refraining from killing someone on the coast. they are a new spawn, they don't have anything yet anyway. even in a city, you can probably avoid bloodshed if you want. at stary, though, its KOS always. nobody goes to look for high-end military loot so that they can kill zombies with it. everybody going into that deathtrap of a tent line is on a hair trigger. if it makes you feel any better i'm pretty sure that guy woulda killed you if he had known what was up.

i don't really understand your angst, as it really is just a game, and you can kit yourself out pretty easily from deer stands and inland supermarkets. unless you have a bunch of really exotic stuff dying isnt really that big of a deal. so you killed a guy. don't sweat it. maybe you need some desensitization training. go to the highest-pop server you can find, get an axe, and run full-tilt around cherno for a while trying to split some skulls.

anyway, good luck. i hope there's lots of players like you on every server i go to. i also hope you are really lucky with your loot spawns so i can get some great stuff off of your corpse.

i like your story, but...

you were in stary. stary murder-capital-of-chernarus sobor. on the danger meter i'd put stary a notch above even nw airfield. if you are not prepared to kill, you should probably stay away from military sites.

you see, i can understand refraining from killing someone on the coast. they are a new spawn, they don't have anything yet anyway. even in a city, you can probably avoid bloodshed if you want. at stary, though, its KOS always. nobody goes to look for high-end military loot so that they can kill zombies with it. everybody going into that deathtrap of a tent line is on a hair trigger. if it makes you feel any better i'm pretty sure that guy woulda killed you if he had known what was up.

i don't really understand your angst, as it really is just a game, and you can kit yourself out pretty easily from deer stands and inland supermarkets. unless you have a bunch of really exotic stuff dying isnt really that big of a deal. so you killed a guy. don't sweat it. maybe you need some desensitization training. go to the highest-pop server you can find, get an axe, and run full-tilt around cherno for a while trying to split some skulls.

anyway, good luck. i hope there's lots of players like you on every server i go to. i also hope you are really lucky with your loot spawns so i can get some great stuff off of your corpse.

I know this now, but as mentioned in a previous post here, we weren't savvy with the locations in the mod, other than the well known coastal towns and the airfields. And to be honest, other than the instance where we saw another player, we've not seen anyone else in Stary Sobor, and I've been back there several times to raid the super market and tents for equipment. It can play out differently for different players. You sound like you play on servers with many other players, whereas we play on servers with around 20-25 players - for realism more than anything.

And for the record; "nobody goes to look for high-end military loot so that they can kill zombies with it", this is subjective; Sean and I both raid chopper crash sites for high end gear for zombie killing. Just because that isn't your intention doesn't mean it's the modus operandi of all players.. I don't mean for that to sound blunt, it's just generalisations like that do get on my nerves.

Also, angst? it's a story, I told it like a story. I'm not a teenager buddy. I don't need to be an axe wielding nutter, that's not why I play this mod.. the playing style you describe, it very much like today's younger gamer - I'm not saying you're a young gamer, but you sound like you'd rather run and gun, than play like how I describe, which is fine by me, just making an observation.

Good luck finding my corpse. ^_^

Edited by Burro

Isnt there a story subsection for these?

Edited by Aras

Wow man... awesome story. Tales like these remind why this is possibly the best game ever.

I am still in my first life, about 75 minutes lived and counting, and I have not killed anyone is self-defense or murder, although I had a close call.

Me and this other guy met up at a small coastal town, he seemed really nice. He told me how to type, and for that I am ever grateful :P

We were about to enter a building to look for loot, as a zombie starts chasing me. He runs with me, and as soon as we reach a corner, he prones right at the corner of a building, and the zombie keeps chasing me. I see a harbor with another survivor carrying a hatchet on it, and also a survivor in the water. It looked to me as he was trying to help the guy in the water, so I approached.

At this point I have literally 5 zombies on my tail, and as I approach I start screaming "Help!" He replays with a simple "no". Not ready to die just yet, I jump in the water, and I make the sacrifice of my backpack. I start swimming with the other guy in the water. I lost the zombies on the beach next to the harbor. So we are swimming to the shore, and the guy on the harbor throws a grenade at us! It doesn't damage any of us, but as soon as I reach shore I start sprinting. I turn my head to see the guy with the hatchet charging the guy I was swimming with.

The guy I was swimming with pulls out a pistol and as I turn my head I hear a gunshot and see a "player was killed" message. (for privacy I am not going to name him, although I remember his name). I am still alive with a hatchet and decent food. I haven't seen anything of the guy I met up with at the beginning or the guy I was swimming with. And for some weird reason, I feel remorse for the guy that was shot, even though he try'd to kill me. I guess it's just the reason that I talked to him, a real person I talked with. Yeah...

• Like 1

Isnt there a story subsection for these?

Yes there is, a generic thread with 45 pages of stories. And what is your point friend? I wrote this in the general forum as I wanted to write a story for the community and hear back from them on their experiences and whether they felt the same, and as you can see by the replies, I got the response I set out for. I'm sorry you have a problem with this and felt you needed to troll my thread, but it is your problem I'm afraid. Unless the forum admins decide to make a sub-forum for player stories, I'm afraid I'm not going to invest the time and effort into writing a story for a generic thread so it can be lost in a sea of other user stories.

Cheers.

Wow man... awesome story. Tales like these remind why this is possibly the best game ever.

I am still in my first life, about 75 minutes lived and counting, and I have not killed anyone is self-defense or murder, although I had a close call.

Me and this other guy met up at a small coastal town, he seemed really nice. He told me how to type, and for that I am ever grateful :P

We were about to enter a building to look for loot, as a zombie starts chasing me. He runs with me, and as soon as we reach a corner, he prones right at the corner of a building, and the zombie keeps chasing me. I see a harbor with another survivor carrying a hatchet on it, and also a survivor in the water. It looked to me as he was trying to help the guy in the water, so I approached.

At this point I have literally 5 zombies on my tail, and as I approach I start screaming "Help!" He replays with a simple "no". Not ready to die just yet, I jump in the water, and I make the sacrifice of my backpack. I start swimming with the other guy in the water. I lost the zombies on the beach next to the harbor. So we are swimming to the shore, and the guy on the harbor throws a grenade at us! It doesn't damage any of us, but as soon as I reach shore I start sprinting. I turn my head to see the guy with the hatchet charging the guy I was swimming with.

The guy I was swimming with pulls out a pistol and as I turn my head I hear a gunshot and see a "player was killed" message. (for privacy I am not going to name him, although I remember his name). I am still alive with a hatchet and decent food. I haven't seen anything of the guy I met up with at the beginning or the guy I was swimming with. And for some weird reason, I feel remorse for the guy that was shot, even though he try'd to kill me. I guess it's just the reason that I talked to him, a real person I talked with. Yeah...

aww mate, you were so lucky :D

Moments in this game are scarier and more intense than any other game or movie I've ever seen.

• Like 1

One of the best novels i read on this forum so far. It really made me think, how this game changes people and how it reaches us mentally.

a Truly wonderful post!

• Like 1

One of the best novels i read on this forum so far. It really made me think, how this game changes people and how it reaches us mentally.

a Truly wonderful post!

Wow, thanks Sincerely, I appreciate the kind feedback. I am glad enjoyed it. I've had some really intereting moments since then that I plan to write up soon.

Moments in this game are scarier and more intense than any other game or movie I've ever seen.

Indeed.

congrats, THIS is the attitude you should have to fully xperience the greatness of this game.

• Like 1

To be fair, Stary is the best source for silenced weapons and SD ammunition, which are the prima donna for Zombie killin‘

Yes there is, a generic thread with 45 pages of stories. And what is your point friend? I wrote this in the general forum as I wanted to write a story for the community and hear back from them on their experiences and whether they felt the same, and as you can see by the replies, I got the response I set out for. I'm sorry you have a problem with this and felt you needed to troll my thread, but it is your problem I'm afraid. Unless the forum admins decide to make a sub-forum for player stories, I'm afraid I'm not going to invest the time and effort into writing a story for a generic thread so it can be lost in a sea of other user stories.

How was i trolling?

I killed a man, and i liked it...the taste of there baaaaaked beaaaaans. I killed a man, and i liked it...i hope his buddies dont mind it...

lol...song reference if anyone knows what song your just that much cooler.

How was i trolling?

Because of what you said and how you said it. You come into a thread of 5 pages of comments and stories of others based on or relating to the original post, and all you say is "isn't there a thread for these"... Anyone with eyes can see that there is. However, I chose to put in the general forum so that readers could reply to it easier with similar stories and feedback.

You could have said something constructive but instead felt compelled to just write an off topic comment and leave. Ergo, trolling.

If there were as many story threads in the general forum as there are threads moaning about pvp, hacking, server hopping, ways to fix bandits, bandit hate etc then and only then would I feel your comment was something more than just trolling, but there aren't and I don't..

Edited by Burro

great story..i felt your feelings in that moment and yes sometimes kill another player can be hard, if you think the hours and work spent..but sometimes it's just surviving

• Like 1

Ive only been playing for a couple of days now with a RL friend, and ive got to say i find this short story very admirable, we've spent most of our time unarmed and every time we find weapons we are quickly killed for them by a random survivor/bandit.

I wish more people in this game had the same ethos as you and your pal, me and my mate Jay are trying to find some like minded people to team up with, if you want to join in with us just let me know, as i say we'd like to play with some like minded mature people.

And as for the story itself well written, i enjoyed reading it.

great story..i felt your feelings in that moment and yes sometimes kill another player can be hard, if you think the hours and work spent..but sometimes it's just surviving

Thanks Bludy, glad you enjoyed the story.

Ive only been playing for a couple of days now with a RL friend, and ive got to say i find this short story very admirable, we've spent most of our time unarmed and every time we find weapons we are quickly killed for them by a random survivor/bandit.

I wish more people in this game had the same ethos as you and your pal, me and my mate Jay are trying to find some like minded people to team up with, if you want to join in with us just let me know, as i say we'd like to play with some like minded mature people.

And as for the story itself well written, i enjoyed reading it.

Alex, you and your mate are welcome to join Sean and I. PM me when you both play, where you're from and the times when you want to join us.

I killed a man. I killed him, and now he’s gone. I cannot truly express just how low I feel.

*snip*

*Some of you may feel like I’m over reacting, I may well be. But I don’t play DayZ like a game. I don’t see what happens in this game as gameplay. For me, it’s an experiment, a social study to see how people react to each other under stress. If I don’t need to kill others I won’t, especially when there’s permadeath involved.

I slowly walk over to his body. Sean asks again, “did you get him?” I reply quietly “yes”

This sums up exactly how I feel about DayZ, and how I intend to play. It'd good to know there's others out there.

This sums up exactly how I feel about DayZ, and how I intend to play. It'd good to know there's others out there.

Well if you want to team up some time in the future, PM me.. we'd gladly team with a fellow survivor :)

Surviving isn't easy, you'll be approached with tough choices, but in the end you came out alive

Nice story. What saddens me is, that most PKers probably do not experience anything like this.

They most likely just kill people to get that murder count up and they try to justify it by calling it "surviving of the fittest".

The sad thing is that they are robbing themselves of this great experiences you have described.