Inception.

Punishing bandits? Shut up, seriously.

Oh please, would you all stop crying about bandits? Would you stop posting threads about how you want player killing to be punished?

I saw one thread earlier requesting a "sanity meter, that would range from 100% [sane] to 0% [insane]. Killing survivors would make the sanity level go down because, "realistically" [as stated by the OP], killing other survivors would make you go insane because your character could not live with the thought that you had killed another person.

...Considering the fact that all in-game survivors are military personnel [in the manner of the actual character played], they would have already killed people. Obviously since you are playing the character they haven't gone COMPLETELY insane. [if this is incorrect please disregard this paragraph.]

Seriously...stop asking for bandits to be punished. Even Rocket doesn't particularly like that idea. If you don't like bandits, then learn to avoid them. If you have a personal vendetta against bandits, learn to hunt them. Learn to make them suffer.

I/we [my group] have a shoot-on-sight policy. If I let you go, I have no idea if you spotted me and are planning to eliminate me whilst my back is turned. [Of course, this shoot-on-sight policy doesn't particularly apply to the southern to south-east coast parts of the map, as most players are fresh spawns or the players generally have low tier weapons- in the manner of capabilities, not value- thus they are not a threat. But when I am up near the high value loot spots/places where more experienced players normally are, then it's a shoot-on-sight policy not matter what.

Survivors become bandits because bandits exist. Bandits exist because survivors become then. 'Tis an endless cycle.

So please, don't waste your time and come up with some silly sort of bandit-punishment idea, unless it really is a fucking brilliant one.

• Like 31

Let me just tie this into a little bit of a perspective.

As a bandit, and in a rather large clan with a lot of DayZ time, I find myself with a rather deep understanding of how DayZ works and how other bandits operate.

With the changes to zombies I no longer fear them in Chero/Elektro when respawning... I make a point to now grab a Lee-Enfield and shoot snipers who try to shoot me while I am in major cities. I almost always come out with high quality equipment simply because I have a lot of experience under my belt and learned some really key mechanics to how the game works and how to interact with players.

People often want to try to punish bandits far to quickly in my opinion instead of fighting back. Which is really depressing in a way, Bandits kill other bandits and Survivors are really the only 'group' that tries not to kill eachother.

My advice? People are way too quick to judge and point the finger at others, trying to fix a game mechanic that doesn't need to be fixed, just some tweeking.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin
  • Like 13

... it is highly irritating too be killed 2 mins into the game without any way too defend yourself by some cocks tho.. maybe only punish in starting areas or something similar if somebody has a shiny weapon fair enough but too get killed for starting bandage and pain killers is just stupid..

Let me just tie this into a little be of perspective.

As a bandit, and in a rather large clan with a lot of DayZ time, I find myself with a rather deep understanding of how DayZ works and how other bandits operate.

With the changes to zombies I no longer fear them in Chero/Elektro when respawning... I make a point to now grab a Lee-Enfield and shoot snipers who try to shoot me while I am in major cities. I almost always come out with high quality equipment simply because I have a lot of experience under my belt and learned some really key mechanics to how the game works and how to interact with players.

People often want to try to punish bandits far to quickly in my opinion instead of fighting back. Which is really depressing in a way, Bandits kill other bandits and Survivors are really the only 'group' that tries not to kill eachother.

My advice? People are way too quick to judge and point the finger at others, trying to fix a game mechanic that doesn't need to be fixed, just some tweeking.

Precisely.

... it is highly irritating too be killed 2 mins into the game without any way too defend yourself by some cocks tho.. maybe only punish in starting areas or something similar if somebody has a shiny weapon fair enough but too get killed for starting bandage and pain killers is just stupid..

I never kill fresh spawns, considering their loot is worthless and I know how annoying it is to be killed after just spawning.

Agree. Banditry must exist. But not in a "shoot everything to win" scenario. That's just standard boring FPSing.

Which at least I believe this game is not about (completely). It's about surviving the zombie apocalypse, And there shoot on sight doesn't work. Thou I'm a zombie buff, so this may not apply completely.

Anyway. There needs to be a way for players to consider before shooting, which it isn't now, since banditry is a simple thought of: "Hey, he may have better gear... BANG, he's dead". You dont loose anything except maybe if he was a scout and his team is nearby. But that's quite rare mostly (at least in my experience).

Oh please, would you all stop crying about bandits? Would you stop posting threads about how you want player killing to be punished?

I saw one thread earlier requesting a "sanity meter, that would range from 100% [sane] to 0% [insane]. Killing survivors would make the sanity level go down because, "realistically" [as stated by the OP], killing other survivors would make you go insane because your character could not live with the thought that you had killed another person.

...Considering the fact that all in-game survivors are military personnel [in the manner of the actual character played], they would have already killed people. Obviously since you are playing the character they haven't gone COMPLETELY insane. [if this is incorrect please disregard this paragraph.]

Seriously...stop asking for bandits to be punished. Even Rocket doesn't particularly like that idea. If you don't like bandits, then learn to avoid them. If you have a personal vendetta against bandits, learn to hunt them. Learn to make them suffer.

I/we [my group] have a shoot-on-sight policy. If I let you go, I have no idea if you spotted me and are planning to eliminate me whilst my back is turned. [Of course, this shoot-on-sight policy doesn't particularly apply to the southern to south-east coast parts of the map, as most players are fresh spawns or the players generally have low tier weapons- in the manner of capabilities, not value- thus they are not a threat. But when I am up near the high value loot spots/places where more experienced players normally are, then it's a shoot-on-sight policy not matter what.

Survivors become bandits because bandits exist. Bandits exist because survivors become then. 'Tis an endless cycle.

So please, don't waste your time and come up with some silly sort of bandit-punishment idea, unless it really is a fucking brilliant one.

Why you crying?

I never understood what their whole argument is, really.

It's facts that penalizing bandits would pretty much be penalizing the smallest sect of players. If we add skins back in, they become the shoot-on-sight targets. We add debuffs, and the random person who defended himself from another crazed survivor is given a debuff for not trying to die. There's no winning situation with the system we have right now.

Are there dicks who camp the coast and fuck with spawnees? Yeah. But will penalizing them for doing that stop them? Nope. They're just doing it to troll. My personal policy is if I don't see a gun, I just don't shoot. Plain and simple. But once you have a way of defending yourself, you're a target. And yes, that even means Makarovs and small arms. I've had plenty of stealthy players sneak up on me back when I was new to DayZ with just pistols. It's entirely a possibility. So, I don't leave that possibility if you give yourself away to me.

Edited by KWilt

Lately, the forums have degenerated to a place for either one of these two things:

1. Complaints about bandits.

2. Complaints about posts pertaining to number 1 above.

Both posts are really preaching to the choir and beating the same dead horse. I doubt anyone to whom these posts apply to will listen to either post. It really makes me wonder why people bother wasting their time and energy.

• Like 4

Well, it is a complex topic and I do not have a solution for it.

I just understand both groups - the pvper and the survivors - with their arguments on how to approach the game. Both claim to have found the "only" way in how to play this game and both groups say "play your own way, and let me play my way".

Thing is, this approach does not work. As the active way of playing "shooting on sight" will always dominate the passive way "shoot zombies not players" as the active group is forcing their gameplay onto the passive group (shoot back or shoot first or get popped on every pvp encounter).

This is the big imbalance - the passive guys simply cannot play "their way" easily (except for staying completely out of contested zones like cherno, elektro, star or nwa).

I do like the pvp aspect, but I do not like the exploit alt-f4-server-hopping-kill-frenzy-duping-FPS dudes that are infesting this game more and more. I really hope that rocket finds a solution vs logoffski and server hopping and making high quality sniper gear more rare and fix the duping exploits.

This alone might change the way how players approach the game - I hope.

• Like 2

I would agree. I hunt bandits with my squad, but people who whine about how "bandits are breaking the game" are just lame. Grow a pair, team up with someone, go hunt them down!

Why you crying?

Not a single tear was shed.

You're doing it wrong. Go inland, find Deer blinds get weapons and ammo, go into inland towns with SM's get tools and new backpacks, camp out in the woods living off boars. This fixes the issue for you as bandits won't be looking for you. Unless you pick the wrong woods to live in of course. A random bandit moving through the area on the way to high pop areas might accidentally find you.

I'm a bandit and I think it's too easy. All a lot of bandits do is wait for someone to snipe. I think you SHOULD be banned for sitting on a roof for 20 minutes waiting to snipe someone. That's fucking stupid. I would go kill those people all day if I knew exactly where each was. Get my own sniper rifle and shoot them from the treeline while they watch over the town.

It's not banditry, it's faggotry. I'm not even calling myself a bandit anymore...

This is not so much survivors vs bandits, as groups/clans vs other groups/clans. Some might identify themselves as survivors, but being in a hostile environment, quite naturally might not be inclined to take chances with people. This is just the nature of the game, and shouldn't be a letdown. This is possibly the most potentially awesome sandbox game ever.

The tweaking bit, that comes with the base building and other endgame content. Then clans will actually thrive and grow, because they will want to recruit more people to accomplish more meaningful tasks. Try to join a clan or get your friends into it, you will enjoy it more.

I'm a bandit and I think it's too easy. All a lot of bandits do is wait for someone to snipe. I think you SHOULD be banned for sitting on a roof for 20 minutes waiting to snipe someone. That's fucking stupid. I would go kill those people all day if I knew exactly where each was. Get my own sniper rifle and shoot them from the treeline while they watch over the town.

It's not banditry, it's faggotry. I'm not even calling myself a bandit anymore...

So then I'd guess you'd be sitting in the treeline for 20 minutes waiting to snipe them? Hmm.

If you die 2 minutes into your life you have no gear to get attached too, so I don't see how dying like that can be that irritating - unless of course you spend the best part of 10 minutes hitting respawn to start at Cherno/Elektro only to die. But if you're gaming the system to get a choice spawn location then maybe a 2 minute life is a bit of karma! :)

As for the whole bandit issue... if you don't like bandits - DO SOMETHING ABOUT THEM! I killed a guy with an M4 SD using a hatchet in a city, then promptly died myself to his friend. It's not hard, you just have to get some experience in PVP/banditry/whatever you want to call it. Once you know the tricks of the trade you can use them to defend yourself. If you never learn those tricks then don't complain when you die to them.

People constantly whine about sniping/camping, when anyone with a brain knows that if you're in Cherno/Elektro there are only a few (good) places he could be. Is it really asking too much for the crowd that the bandits prey on to use common sense to deal with those kinds of threats? You can 1 shot kill players with a Lee Enfield (800m+ range), you can flank a known location of a sniper with any gun - or a hatchet (2 swings should knock someone out). Or you could leave busy areas because they are dangerous and you accept those risks by staying there.

Just bugs me that the 'survivor' group rarely defend themselves and suck at surviving because of it - and then tend to blame anyone but themselves.

Banditry isn't hard, and that's not just because it's relatively easy to do (I won't deny that) - but because a lot of players that class themselves as survivors are just not very good. They're asking to get shot half the time.

I The problem is most survivors dont get a chance to defend themselves properly. If someone is busy looting a farm and your headed the other direction, dont shoot. just gtfo.

Edited by amudkipz

Bandits shouldn't be punished, i feel they should simply be identified. I like the old mechanic of the bandit skin, that way peaceful survivors would know not to try to negotiate with them and other bandits would know who they're dealing with. I know it would be kind of a handicap but i feel it is a necessary one

• Like 3

Rocket has stated that the bandit vs survivor thing is left to the players to fix. THAT BEING SAID, he still added that "viligantes" (people fighting back bandits) don't have a complete set of tools or options for this, and it will improve in the future. So nobody knows what's in store exactly, or how many patches till we get there, but I believe options are coming around. Time will tell.

Complaining about people complaining about punishing bandits? Shut up, seriously.

• Like 1

Bandits don't need to be punished at all.

They do need to face the same intense level of difficulty in decision-making that survivors currently do. They do not at the moment, and thus have it far far easier.

• Like 2

Changes to "banditry" would just be removing realism from the game, which Arma has always been good at (especially with the addition of the ACE mod) and one of the many reasons I and likely many others enjoy it. People who complain about "banditry" might want to think about improving their fighting skills (part of their survival skill set) which doesn't have to be done in the DayZ mod, if you want to learn how the guns fire and play around with the high tier weapons you can do it in normal Arma easily. Just getting that feel for the guns in the game can really change things if you are stuck being attack or even just defending from your everyday zombie.