DemonGroover

Anyone in Cherno? The Good Old Dayz.

Ah the good old dayz.

Does anyone else miss those lines of chat that the Global and Side channels gave us?

Anything else people miss from the good old days of Dayz?

I miss Bandit Skins - even though it was problematic and not realistic it just got the blood pumping when you saw a bandit. You were even less inclined to shoot someone with plain survivor skin as well.

Anyway, off to bed. My legs are grey, my ears are nulled, my eyes are old, and bent

• Like 10

In my opinion, side chat made the game feel more lively. Without side chat, it's boring. I honestly miss being able to read random people's conversations of various topics. Those conversations kept me company while in running simulator mode.

• Like 10

yeah... and the fun of being ... absolutely NOWHERE NEAR CHERNO and going 'anybody in cherno' just to scare people xD

... and as a bandit it was actually FUN to see the 'OMFG WTH?' followed by lots of 'lulz, lulz, silly noob in cherno' or.. 'Bandit in cherno, careful'

(which is really fun on the rare occasion you had a sniper that could shoot from well out of the town) and YOU saying 'omg guys he is in the grain tower (biggest building in Cherno... only access = one ladder) ... and either waiting for noobs to try and ambush a ghost... or people to reply 'ok We are moving in!' (clans) xD getting them caught on a ladder or in the wide open top was the greatest.

I miss the chat.. to help make it fit more into the game could simply start all people with a radio... and they could drop it if they dont want chat, or keep it to have chat.

• Like 5

Yep , the chat , like jayjarr said..it was good company while heading inland, some of the conversation was piss funny :D

Hello,

I too miss the comeraderie of the early days (no pun intended).

Global chat did help the game feel more *alive*, especially as I solo exclusively.

I also miss the bandit skin as it was a indicator that the player in question had killed, it didn't necesarially mean they were a bandit.

lastly nice LoB quote.

Rgds

LoK

Does anyone remember the Bean Wars - made WW2 look like a Sunday picnic.

Ah, these 'youngsters' dont know what it was like. But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya!

• Like 2

two python quotes? splendid.

• Like 1

i found myself trying to type out in side chat today after i killed a guy, he ran into the barn i was in, didnt even see me, but he was alerting the horde with his careless fire, and i cant afford unneeded attention. was ashame, because his loot wasnt worth the bullets that i used to put him down.

i miss being able to talk as im on a 15 minute trek across a forest, or as im spending 30 minutes skirting and scanning a town before entry. alot of my time in this game is spent in the shadows, and i play almost always in night, so things are slow and lonely, miss having global chat.

• Like 1

Ha! Remember when Zeds could hit you through walls and walk through objects.......wait a minute.......oh shit.

• Like 3

Side chat was very immersion breaking.

I'm very glad its gone.

It will be reintroduced eventually (probably when Day Z is standalone) as a radio system. That will be cool and it will not break immersion.

• Like 1

For many it wasn't immersion breaking one bit.

I barely noticed it all unless I wanted to Globally abuse someone.

Like those who miss their shots whilst im logging in.

Also, just noticed the "You have my beans" replacing the like. I like how relevant it is but...

• Like 2

I barely noticed it all unless I wanted to Globally abuse someone.

You're the main reason why side chat was awful.

You're the main reason why side chat was awful.

Are you saying that they didn't deserve it?

It's not like I spent the rest of the night doing so.

Just a quick spit in their direction.

Absolutely not.

If you miss camaradrie, find and join up with other survivors. oh wait, you'd rather shoot them for their torch.

Are you saying that they didn't deserve it?

It's not like I spent the rest of the night doing so.

Just a quick spit in their direction.

I'm saying that seeing "OMG UR SO BAD LOL" and "LOL LOL GET REKT IN CHERNO NOOBS" is horribly immersion breaking and doesn't belong in this game.

• Like 1

I'm saying that seeing "OMG UR SO BAD LOL" and "LOL LOL GET REKT IN CHERNO NOOBS" is horribly immersion breaking and doesn't belong in this game.

When it gets to a full-fledged keyboard warrior clash, yes, agreed.

Furthermore, in Aus some servers have side chat and some don't; I have the choice of side chat or not.

As I can see some people here are unfortunately just stuck on one or the other. Can't say I'd be in a position to contribute further opinions.

• Like 1

I miss the side chat also, was entertaining sometimes. Should just bring it back with an option to turn it off.

Edited by Thrack
  • Like 3

Absolutely not.

If you miss camaradrie, find and join up with other survivors. oh wait, you'd rather shoot them for their torch.

Hullo there

Aimed at me?

If so, you couldn't be more wrong.

Lone wolfing doesn't equate to banditry.

If that wasn't aimed at me, then apologies, I'm just paranoid due to the playerbase...

rgds

LoK

yeah... and the fun of being ... absolutely NOWHERE NEAR CHERNO and going 'anybody in cherno' just to scare people xD

... and as a bandit it was actually FUN to see the 'OMFG WTH?' followed by lots of 'lulz, lulz, silly noob in cherno' or.. 'Bandit in cherno, careful'

(which is really fun on the rare occasion you had a sniper that could shoot from well out of the town) and YOU saying 'omg guys he is in the grain tower (biggest building in Cherno... only access = one ladder) ... and either waiting for noobs to try and ambush a ghost... or people to reply 'ok We are moving in!' (clans) xD getting them caught on a ladder or in the wide open top was the greatest.

I miss the chat.. to help make it fit more into the game could simply start all people with a radio... and they could drop it if they dont want chat, or keep it to have chat.

Haha I've done the same exact thing! I would sit there saying "Sniper on the tower in cherno. He's picking people off!" if I had heard any gunfire. Sooner or later, you'd get the heros saying they'd ambush him, or you'd see people climbing the ladder trying to get the drop on him. Then I'd be sitting about 600m away with an M24 dropping them as they climbed the ladder. Just to hear the cries in side chat of "OMFG HOW DID HE SHOOT ME CLIMBING THE LADDER WTFF!!!!11"

Miss that.

Edited by KField86
  • Like 1

It's only immersion breaking for the selfish bastards who play with clans and friends.

For those of us who play alone it's good company.

(inb4 get some friends, how about screw you i preffer to play alone)

No side chat makes the game more interesting for myself at least.

It's a survival sim, not an MSN chat party. I do not want to be reading "Omg effing camper in cherno" about 200 times a day because someone got capped trying to get into the firestation for the 112th time.

If you want the sidechannel stuff, find a radio and chat-abuse anyone else with a radio in the game.

As for bandit skins, hey... I'm all for bandit skins as long as bandit skins mean the bandits are MORE visible than regular players. Otherwise a bandit skin is only a bonus and directly encourages player killing.

As I have said in other threads, the devs need to implement features that encourage teamplay. As long as there is no benefit from teamplay, only the hassle of messing around in direct chat, not being able to group with people ingame and the inevitable problems with finding eachother again since direct chat has limited range... well... who is gonna bother trying to team up? Of course you shoot the guy in the back and steal their bandage for yourself.

In it's current state this game is a player-hunt sniper simulation more than a survival game. You wander around grabbing stuff until you get the "end game" content which is a ghillie suit and an AS50 or Dragunov. They need to turn the focus of this game away from the military sniper simulator and turn it into an actual survival sim which it's supposed to be. If I really want to just play a sniper game, there's a whole aisle full of games dedicated towards that. It is, however, not the reason I play DayZ.

There needs to be more zombies around the game and not just around buildings.

And there needs to be less scoped weapons in the game and more weapons you'd except a bunch of clueless civilians being able to handle. Sidearms and shotguns should be the standard weapons you expect to see people with, and rarely someone with a high powered hunting rifle like the CZ550 with bullets being a rarity. People running around with .50 sniper rifles and ghillie suits... well... when you have that in the game, you can't really expect anything other than the game becoming a man-hunt where people do nothing but gun each other down.

All you really need to get in this game is a bottle of water, hunting knife, box of matches, hatchet ... and then you start your "quest" to get a sniper rifle & ghillie suit.

If they add more actual goals for players in terms of teamplay and goals then people might play it more like a survival game and less like a sniper simulator.

Because that's all it really is at the moment.

A sniper simulator.

• Like 1

That's the worst thing happened to this mod.Why they removed it is beyond any logical explanation.

"

player 1: anyone in cherno?

player 2: inb4 player 1 have been killed.

player 1 have been killed

"

The fun times with global chat<3

radio system would be a nice improvement to chat..it was funny reading the conversations but kind of exploiting asking for someone somewhere..still useful i admit