Powell (DayZ)

I play DayZ to Roleplay

I was rolling with a M249, M107, MP5SD (all with full ammo), Alice Pack, etc etc

then it hit me: "What the fuck am I doing with all this gear? I would NEVER carry a LMG or a .50 caliber sniper rifle with me during the zombie apocalypse. Why am I carrying it in DayZ?"

So I dropped all the above listed items (including my alice pack) and started looting with only my makarov until I found a Czech Vest pouch, which I happily grabbed, and I found a winchester.

From now on, I'll only carry my winchester, makarov, and Czech OR patrol (8) pouch. Of course I'll have a map, compass, etc.

I know I'm not the only one who plays this game for the roleplaying aspect, to feel like I'm really in a zombie apocalypse.

People need to understand this game isn't about the loot you have, its about the experience.

Don't you think this is the way its supposed to be?

• Like 15

I think the way it is supposed to be is subject to what you want it to be.

So, I can't tell you yes or no, but if you are enjoying yourself, that is what is important.

• Like 8

I think you've just transitioned to the bear grylls style. It has it's advantages, mostly being the abundance of ammo.

You increase your chances of survival by not having to rely on military sites.

Carrying less blingy gear makes you more willing to help people I've noticed also.

I think you've just transitioned to the bear grylls style. It has it's advantages, mostly being the abundance of ammo.

You increase your chances of survival by not having to rely on military sites.

Carrying less blingy gear makes you more willing to help people I've noticed also.

Well the reason I want such a small backpack is because I will a less valuable target to people, so maybe someone will be more willing to ask "friendly?" to me rather than just KoS.

Edited by Powell

A great discovery, Powell. And I think that the game will likely move towards this style of play as it develops.

I suspect that their will be a movement disadvantage for heavily loaded players, them not being able to maintain a good sprint for very long or simply not being able to run at all. Or maybe a deus-ex style inventory system (it worked so well in both games) so a 50cal weapon with ammo might mean one can of beans and no sidearm.

I think that since Rocket wants to avoid an imposed class system like TF2 or Tribes from spawn he'll likely create a system where managing your inventory and loadout becomes more important than having a high tear weapon. Simple limitations on inventory space and movement will mean making tough decisions like "Want a 50cal rifle? try running for longer than 1 minute" or "want an axe for firewood? Then you will be fast but rifles are out of the question".

This means that instead of very simple rules about weapons; pistols if you raid cities, assault rifles if you loot towns and sniper rifles if you PvP. The inventory system will shape the playstyle; lone wolf survivalists can't be skilled marksmen, players with heavy ordinance will have to team up with someone with a short ranged weapon and players with mid ranged assault weapons and a sidearm will have little space for food,aid and survival equipment.

This way the RPG elements will emerge in a very organic way. Not arbitrarily imposed but integral to the inventory system.

• Like 2

I'm roleplaying like a champ. I hunt rabbits. I only drink water. I started to shed excess ammo but I keep my food and collect canteens. I try to keep enough space open for a sniper rifle but I'm looking for a silenced weapon for hunting. When I die I'll start all over but I'm going to collect some scalps in Cherno or Elektro first.

The "live of the land" life is enjoyable, but I get bored and my trigger finger gets WAY too itchy. After many firefights zombies are barely a distraction to me now. I rarely spend time in aggro range much, when I do I sneak in and out or use my trusty 1911 as a last resort.

Cause once you start popping off that Winny and Makarov there are going to be players inbound to your position.

Having said that happy hunting and be safe out there. I love the amount of choice in this game.

I think if it was a zombie apocalypse I'd be carrying any and everything that can spit out a metal projectile by means of a powder explosion.

I'm roleplaying like a champ. I hunt rabbits. I only drink water. I started to shed excess ammo but I keep my food and collect canteens. I try to keep enough space open for a sniper rifle but I'm looking for a silenced weapon for hunting. When I die I'll start all over but I'm going to collect some scalps in Cherno or Elektro first.

I do the same...

See you out there /salute

I also play similar to this. I pass up on primary weapons and stick with my hatchet. I also carry a revolver(or whatever pistol I can find at the time). I would pick up an ALICE pack if I saw one, but I've never actually found one. This may be do to the fact that I stay away from high rick areas where they are likely to spawn. I keep my inventory stocked with food, water, medical supplies and ammo for my pistol/revolver. Whatever free room I have in my inventory, I keep stocked with random thing I can trade with. I have yet to run into someone who actually wants to trade, and not just kill me, but it's always worth a shot.

People need to understand this game isn't about the loot you have, its about the experience.

You need to understand that everyone has a different taste of fun.

I do the same. I play with a few others and they all tend to have barrets and m4s hunting players down and there's me with my Remmy and my Colt. collecting up as many beans and pasta as I can. Perhaps not as extreme as experience as you're having but I'm sure I'll get there some day.

I role play as 'highlander', the basic premise of my roleplaying is that there can be only one (me) - all others must die.

• Like 1

You need to understand that everyone has a different taste of fun.

true.

there is a definite pattern of endgame players going back to the basics though. which is cool.

and a bit of a *HINT HINT* that future content should be aimed at this experience, not so much girlscout marshmallow-roasting camp sites and kumbaya

In a way I agree. I think high grade guns and ammo are far too easy to acquire in dayz, and I hope and believe this will eventually be changed. Where I disagree is in the reason. I don't want there to be less guns and ammo for the "realism" or rp. I just think it will intensify gameplay.

• Like 3

Good on you. I try and use a different tactic every respawn and i have found that my most enjoyable moments have been when i didnt have much equipment. I found that carrying too much good gear makes you a prime target and ultra paranoid.

i just hope Rocket gives us an option to go maked because i really want to do a nude run through Cherno with an axe.

• Like 1

I was rolling with a M249, M107, MP5SD (all with full ammo), Alice Pack, etc etc

then it hit me: "What the fuck am I doing with all this gear? I would NEVER carry a LMG or a .50 caliber sniper rifle with me during the zombie apocalypse. Why am I carrying it in DayZ?"

So I dropped all the above listed items (including my alice pack) and started looting with only my makarov until I found a Czech Vest pouch, which I happily grabbed, and I found a winchester.

From now on, I'll only carry my winchester, makarov, and Czech OR patrol (8) pouch. Of course I'll have a map, compass, etc.

I know I'm not the only one who plays this game for the roleplaying aspect, to feel like I'm really in a zombie apocalypse.

Don't you think this is the way its supposed to be?

You've hit on what I think is a major flaw in the focus of the mod: Encouraging players to gear up with l33t weapons. Scopes and assault rifles and silenced weapons aren't what makes the mod special. The zeds and survival systems are. What's the purpose of assembling a helicopter? Why waste development time and energy on something like that in a mod that is supposed to be about zombie survival.

I'd love to see a version of this mod with all the military grade hardware stripped out. Make the pvp happen in close quarters. Melee, pistols and shotguns.

Create tiers of food and drink. Most of it so bad it makes you sick. Almost none actually heals you. Make military bases places of extremely limited, but high quality food and medicine. MREs are why we scour military bases because they're nutritious and don't spoil as easily.

Realize that tents and potentially secure bases allow players to accumulate several sets of gear and thus trivialize dying.

Spend time and energy on developing the survival systems of the mod. The food, drink, health, disease, and always most importantly the zombie, systems.

This mod has garnered immense interest, because of zombie survival, not because of snipers camping l33t weapon spawns. Creating mmo/WoW-style purple-fever in players to accumulate l33t gear trivializes zeds. Players can engage in pvp from outside zed aggro. If they get aggro, the firepower makes the zeds largely irrelevant. Sniper rifles, silenced weapons and ghillie suits aren't why there is so much interest in DayZ. You could strip all those things out and still have an intense zombie survival mod. More intense really, because firefights would be up close and personal, with zeds swarming everyone.

Edited by jonahcutter
  • Like 12

You've hit on what I think is a major flaw in the focus of the mod: Encouraging players to gear up with l33t weapons. Scopes and assault rifles and silenced weapons aren't what makes the mod special. The zeds and survival systems are. What's the purpose of assembling a helicopter? Why waste development time and energy on something like that in a mod that is supposed to be about zombie survival.

I'd love to see a version of this mod with all the military grade hardware stripped out. Make the pvp happen in close quarters. Melee, pistols and shotguns.

Create tiers of food and drink. Most of it so bad it makes you sick. Almost none actually heals you. Make military bases places of extremely limited, but high quality food and medicine. MREs are why we scour military bases because they're nutritious and don't spoil as easily.

Realize that tents and potentially secure bases allow players to accumulate several sets of gear and thus trivialize dying.

Spend time and energy on developing the survival systems of the mod. The health, disease, and always most importantly the zombie, systems.

This mod has garnered immense interest, because of zombie survival, not because of snipers camping l33t weapon spawns. Creating mmo/WoW-style purple-fever in players to accumulate l33t gear trivializes zeds. Players can engage in pvp from outside zed aggro. If they get aggro, the firepower makes the zeds largely irrelevant. Sniper rifles, silenced weapons and ghillie suits aren't why there is so much interest in DayZ. You could strip all those things out and still have an intense zombie survival mod. More intense really, because firefights would be up close and personal, with zeds swarming everyone.

I think you nailed it

However, I don't think all military weapons should be "stripped out", but much, much rarer. Right now for the majority, things like the winchester, double barrel, etc are just place-holders till you find that M4 or DMR. I think civilian weapons should have more weight

• Like 2

Spend time and energy on developing the survival systems of the mod. The food, drink, health, disease, and always most importantly the zombie, systems.

This. This 100%. Either take out military stuff, or make it so rare, when you see someone with it, you will worship them like a god. I also think even civilian weapons should be harder to find and get ammo for. But that's just my opinion.

Edited by Sandwichx
  • Like 1

This. This 100%. Either take out military stuff, or make it so rare, when you see someone with it, you will worship them like a god. I also think even civilian weapons should be harder to find and get ammo for. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah I agree ammo is pretty easy to accumulate for even the basic weapons, once you learn where to look for it. I'm walking away from ammo for weapons I'm carrying because my pack is too full.

As far as military hardware, I disagree. I guarantee you that if there is even a single vastly superior weapon in the mod, teams/guilds will camp the spawns and hoard multiples of it. They'll set up a schedule to do it. The mod will become about getting THAT weapon. Any weapon that trivializes the zeds should be looked at with serious consideration of being removed. The mod is about zombie survival first and foremost.

Well, I hope it is.

Edited by jonahcutter
  • Like 1