scaramoosh

Surely underground structures are a mistake.

For a mod/game that started with survival/realism roots the idea of constructing underground bases is absurd.

Foxholes and trenches, maybe. Bunkers,no way.

The time and resources it would take to build something substantial would be insane, not to mention the noise and attention it would create. IF it makes it the standalone it should be in the open-world and VERY dangerous to attempt construction. 'Instanced' bases would just be shit. Can't even be fucked to explain why, they just would be SHIT.

DayZ is turning into FPS minecraft.

I LOVE the idea. I have nothing to do after I get some alright gear, this will fix that

For a mod/game that started with survival/realism roots the idea of constructing underground bases is absurd.

Foxholes and trenches, maybe. Bunkers,no way.

The time and resources it would take to build something substantial would be insane, not to mention the noise and attention it would create. IF it makes it the standalone it should be in the open-world and VERY dangerous to attempt construction. 'Instanced' bases would just be shit. Can't even be fucked to explain why, they just would be SHIT.

DayZ is turning into FPS minecraft.

If you can't be bothered to explain, then maybe you shouldn't bother posting at all? Even when he starts developing the standalone it will still be an alpha; the perfect time to try crazy shit and see if it works.

If it doesn't it will be changed or scrapped, but let's wait and see before we pass judgement on some vague plans, shall we?

Could make player bases like old school Star Wars Galaxies' faction base placement was. And if you are not affiliated with that base, then you can't server hop and load into the base, you'll just load outside the base a set number of meters away.

I just don't get the point.. There are only 2 reasons in my mind to build an base.

1. To protect your stuff - This goes against the whole idea of the mod and permadeath.. It will basically turn into a game where you: Spawn > Run to base > Get all the great gear > PVP > Die > Repeat. There will be no more debate about it, it will just be a long deathmatch.

2. To stay safe - This actually goes with the idea of the mod, the idea that you should get some food/water/tools and go sit in the woods where you are safe from danger. Its boring and no one wants to play like that. Once you make it to your base, then what? You sit there safe and sound and you won the game.

The only cool thing that might come out of it is clan battles. Still what's the point of attacking or defending a base that doesn't do one of the tings I mentioned above?

I was going to start a topic on this but found there is already a thread.

Rocket repeats this in a few interviews. He really likes the idea of an underground bunker, inspired somewhat by XCOM. In my opinion its the only thing so far that seems off track from his vision of the game. In a world where survival is extremely difficult, it seems odd that a group of people would be able to plan, obtain the huge amount of required resources and build an underground complex. Ridiculous infact.

I understand its an idea to solve a problem, but this seems overkill imo.

I do not care for it. I'd rather see a way to make it happen above ground. A way to stop the spawning of infected within an area for example. Digging big holes would be beyond the capability of even a group of survivors.

Namalisk mod has an underground structures and labs. It's possible with the lightning and shit.

Personally I feel the map is too small for a 50 player server. And Rocket is talking about 100+ per server.

...although I dont have a problem with there being a few pre-existing underground complexes on a server. They would be fun to explore. Its just the idea of the map being littered with them that makes me feel uncomfortable. That and survivors building one when they have trouble finding a match.

I really hope that the underground bases players can construct are a little bit realistic. If five players can band together and then somehow create a huge underground military structure like Resi Evil's Umbrella Corp then i will be the first to cry BS.

Thinking in realistic tems what could a player/s actually construct? A hole with a tarp over the top? Perhaps dig into the side of a cliff? Repopulate sewers? It could be a real mood killer if a group of players can construct an impregnabe fortress along with Terminator guards, robot dogs and ultra high tech alarm sytems.

An interesting scenario :::

While scavenging for food and water with your buddy you find a couple shovels in a barn , both of you quickly grab the shovel and head to a secluded forest nearby , you start digging , 20 minutes pass and you've made a small cave , you use this cave over the next few days to stash your precious food , water and other supplies . After you gather plenty of supplies to live off of for a while you two begin digging again , deeper and deeper darker and darker , you and your buddy have made some real progress into this tunnel , you pull out your flashlight to provide light for your friend who is digging away at the wall of dirt , an hour passes and you are starting to carve out a room , the beggining of your awsome base , suddenly you hear dirt and rock falling , your tunnel is collapsing , the outside light is completely gone and your flashlight is flickering , batteries are low , both of you start to panic , all this work , all this time , your friend frantically begins digging out the collapsed entrance to no avail , 10 minutes pass as you try to come up with an idea to escape , the light dims , then is gone , in the pitch black all you can hear is the escalating breaths you and your buddy are making , 5 minutes pass , you are breathing sporadically , wheezing and coughing , you hear a couple thumps as both your characters fall to the ground , wheezing and coughing , YOU ARE DEAD pops up on your screen , you have effectively suffocated yourself ............. a week later another team of excavators dig through your once awsome tunnel astonishingly finding 2 corpses and a dead flashlight , they can only guess at the horrible scenario you and your buddy where in , this new team will not make the same mistakes however , their tunnel is lined with support beams and lanterns , as well as multiple entrances and routes , the new team has Oxygen tanks with masks and plenty of batteries and matches for their light source .

I can't wait for that, haha. Sounds great.

I personaly like the tunnel base idea, I bet Rocket will work that out in a very good way.

You lot are all barkin mad.

You need to look past your crazy insecurities and think about the possibilities.

I can see them adding two types of base, the first would be a small 2 or 3 room structure for personal use, a place for each player to call home and store some stuff that follows them to other servers, this would be a locked home for 1 player only.

I can then see the second type being a clan base, much bigger and with many more rooms, the downside to this having more rooms and holding more people , ie a clan it would be open to the world, and open to clan assaults.

GOD!, Am I the only one here that thinks about taking a clan of guys over the map in vehicles arriving at our enemy base, opening their hatch jumping in and then assaulting, blowing shit up, pinching their goods and sweeping each of their rooms and taking all their beans, hoe fkn epic would that be.

Would be even better if once a base is blown to crap that clan then needs to go build a new one, none of this server restart restoring stuff crap that we have right now.

Your all worried about people hiding in an instance and being out of the world, but if you think about the LOSS! that those people would will suffer if you gather some friends and go kick their ass , wow, BRING IT ON! :)

I hope rocket see's the future and ignores all you

This is a terrible idea, I agree with you.

Rocket is loosing his mind lately, underground bases and consoles? Please god no... He had it right when he talked about the way EVE worked, many little instances that are linked together but none are the system. If instancing is such a big issue he needs to make one huge map and split it in smaller squares just like EVE did with its world.

Underground base are completly retarded and unrealistic. It take insane man power and planification to make anything underground that his safe and usable. You need air intake, strong structures to hold it together, electricity for light... I mean, how in the hell are the survivors going to build it anyway? They are all going to grab their shovels and dig for seven days straigh to get any kind of big enough hole to store shit meanwhile zombies are all over the place and survivors are exposed to the elements, real bright. Worse idea I have heard so far.

Now, securing and barricading a building is realistic and would be a lot less work... oh and you can see during the day, since a building have windows unlike a freaking mine.

The real problem is the freaking map that is shit, Chernarus is crap. Its not big enough. Its badly designed and certainly not made for a zombie apocalypse. Most building are not enter able and those that are enter able are too narrow which make them hard to navigate and dont even look remotly realistic. They need to hire an architect or someone from that field that actually knows how buildings are built.

Rocket need to move the setting to a civilised country, whatever country it is. He should have a mapper already working on MANY new maps that will be all linked together that makes one big map, just like EVE.

I'm really not onboard the underground train yet but I'm willing to test. Personally I want non-instance based treehouses, but I'm aware that there are significant complications with that. I just can't seem to get excited about digging tunnels.

Your actually bonkers and wrong, where do you think the Wild West Gold Rush Miners got all that crap, they dug out massive gold mines in small one man, two man teams with nothing but a pickaxe , some candels, and wodden supports.

people seem to have these crazy idea's of how hard things should be when in fact mankind has being doing them with a lot less hassle.

While I may not be on board with the whole idea, I do like how it stops server hoppers from bypasses your defenses, and the tools needed for it, hopefully can't be abused like how c-wire is.

Edited by Orthus

Dose no one else realise that the reason he chose underground bases is because you can't add things to the existing above ground map? Eg baracaded houses , or other structures etc. It creates too much clutter in the existing world and causes horendous lag and excessive resource usage. That was why we had barbed wire and tank traps added, to see how it affected the game world. And the results where messy and cluttered.

Also, saying things like, "why is he working on this when the zombies need fixing" etc makes no sense. Underground stuff will only come with the Standalone...The standalone is going to fix the issues with Zombies etc...see the logic? I doubt we will even see underground structures for a while, even when the standalone is out.

Edited by SeanOfTheDead
  • Like 1

Could make it so that digging such a tunnel was resource heavy that they require food and water more often, also making it water not soda?