Centra

Logging off to avoid death

I was at the airfield crawling through zombies' date=' climbed a ladder, got to the top, and just fell for no reason. And before you say "HOLD W IDIOT", I know how to play, and I did. The engine's ladders are just awful and inconsistent. Poopy and I always say, "If we die in this game it won't be because we were legitimately defeated, it will be because we got glitched". That shit was NOT my fault and I might lose all of my gear and progress because of it. WTF

EDIT: Altf4 saved me.

[/quote']

Are you SURE you were holding W? :huh: There's an easy way to avoid this you must be new here. Did you just buy arma to play this mod? I know a lot have people have been.

This is mostly fixed by now. One of our guys however says that he managed to dupe his own body by pressing "Kill game process hotkey" when he died (from falling down) and when he logged in again he was fine and there was his body with copied equipment. He tried to reproduce it later but with no luck. Likely it is very hard, to nearly impossible.

LMAO, it's quite funny to see topics like "OMGOMGOMGOMG HE ALT-F4 BAN HIM OMGOMOGMOMG" from people like Centra and others, who ALT-F4 themselves.

I suggest making some kind of MMO-like system, which will completely fix that ALT-F4 issue. When a person disconnects, his bot stays for, say, 5 minutes, and whatever happens to that bot is saved to the disconnected player stat. Second is making safe-quit zones, where, once disconnected, your bot disappears instantly. Such places could be - tents, for example, hospitals, or other safe-zones.

LMAO' date=' it's quite funny to see topics like "OMGOMGOMGOMG HE ALT-F4 BAN HIM OMGOMOGMOMG" from people like [b']Centra and others, who ALT-F4 themselves.

I suggest making some kind of MMO-like system, which will completely fix that ALT-F4 issue. When a person disconnects, his bot stays for, say, 5 minutes, and whatever happens to that bot is saved to the disconnected player stat. Second is making safe-quit zones, where, once disconnected, your bot disappears instantly. Such places could be - tents, for example, hospitals, or other safe-zones.

+1

That would make tents much more useful than they are right now. I had an asshat do something similar to my group and I last night. Some pubber announced our location (as we have a public TS, btw feel free to join) and that resulted in some griefer taking pot shots at us in the NW airfield, then logging out.. Then he'd log back in, take a shot, then log out before we could spot him. It was a very frustrating experience that I hope gets fixed soon. I figure there are limits to the arma2 engine though as far as leaving a bot behind after a player logs.

LMAO' date=' it's quite funny to see topics like "OMGOMGOMGOMG HE ALT-F4 BAN HIM OMGOMOGMOMG" from people like [b']Centra and others, who ALT-F4 themselves.

+1

Really good idea! Push it!!! :)

Really good idea! Push it!!! :)

Not my idea though, got it from Ultima Online, where you could only log-off safely in ur own house or an inn. All other places would make your character stand still for 5 mins doing nothing, making it vulnerable to anyone who wishes you dead.

P.S. We gotta push that idea all together.

This functionality is already in place.

If you take PVP damage, and then disconnect - the game will freeze you in an unconscious state for three minutes.

If you take PVP damage' date=' and then disconnect - the game will freeze you in an unconscious state for three minutes.

[/quote']

That's not enough - people disconnect and go other server, where they can wait 3 mins to get up and change their location. And, what the heck, I wanna loot him, not just disconnect and die somewhere else, or, in worst case, heal and get back to shoot my back.

I have to agree with achmed here I just posted a thread on what happened to me a couple minutes ago and that feature doesn't work well I put two mags of makarov bullets into a guys 2 feet away hitting all shots and he dissconnected

I agree, anybody disconnects after taking damage, their player should die, and body remain to be looted if possible. If its not possible to spawn in a dead body with the kit, or too difficult to do so, then at the very least, just kill the bastard, because he shoulda been dead anyway.

If you take PVP damage

And if you take non-PVP damage? or is there such a thing anymore?

If you take PVP damage' date=' and then disconnect - the game will freeze you in an unconscious state for three minutes.

[/quote']

how about the possibility of when they take PvP damage then disconnect they just die?

Too open for issues and disconnects.

As long as the body remains for 3 minutes after pvp damage even with a disconnect, that'll be fine when it works well.

If they can pop off, relog in another server right away and avoid that 3 minutes that's an issue.

Without persisting status between servers of a character that's always going to be an issue.

Must be some way to set it up so a death notice on a server that gets sent to the database for an update will kill that player even if they're logged in and active on a completely different server and not let them re-write to the database with all of their stuff elsewhere.

Then you run into issues of duping, pop a friend with nv's in one server, have him relog to a second server where another friend awaits and when it dies in the second due to the death message from the first, get that body.

That hole would be plugged by a flag of the second body not dropping any loot and disappearing right away with this new death message.

But then again you get to the point where he could just drop all ofhis stuff and after that it wouldn't be possible to delete it as they're external objects .. .

Egh. Fun problem.

how about the possibility of when they take PvP damage then disconnect they just die?

Id be ok with this. Just kill them if they DC within the timer...that'll stop it in its tracks.

(Looking forward to all the "reconnected on beach with no items" bug reports)

Example of why that would be bad.

Couple days ago a couple friends and I were out and about, got caught by a horde outside at night, friendly took a shot during the fight and dropped, while he was waiting for a bandage and a blood pack he crashed to desktop.

With that proposed setup, that friendly fire would have been "pvp" damage and he'd be auto dead. At 6k hp and bleeding with friends right there with meds only to have him become a corpse due to a crash would be really really aggravating.

If you were going to put that sort of thing in I'd like to see some sort of white-list of players we could put on to flag it as non-pvp damage so those we play with normally wouldn't cause that problem.

What that list/system would look like is another question . . .

^ That scenario is a lot more uncommon than ALT+F4ers. You have to take it with a grain of salt.

One day you will shoot a bandit and he will ALT+F4 and come back and kill you from a different spot, and wish for the death penalty.

Oh, that's happened a couple times in the last couple days. While annoying I can almost accept that since his body didn't stick around for the 3 minutes for me to finish off.

I'd be really pissed with a hard coded mechanic killing off a friend like in that example.

If the body stays and I can finish it off I'd be perfectly happy.

Hmm, what about a respawn flag being added to the player's data until the first data saved?

Basically when a death call is sent out by the left behind body getting finished off the database overwrites with the dead state. After that it doesn't accept any new data updates unless they have the respawn flag as true in the new data.

You'd avoid popping to another server to overwrite the death state. Its a tossup if you want to leave them just not able to save and on their next login they're on coast. Otherwise you can have a response message if its expecting a respawn flagged data set and doesn't get one. Either flag the id or send a kill message to the server?

It shouldn't kill you, that's not a logical idea. You should just stay in the world, giving your friends a chance to protect you, for 60 seconds or whatever.

People who log for whatever reason = scum of the earth. Have never done this in any game in 15+ years of multi gaming.

Something absolutely needs to be done. I don't know if it's hardcoded into Arma, but;

If the player stays online for a solid minute, just a minute, after he logs out, it would solve near every single problem with logging to avoid death.

It may not seem like a big deal when, whoops, someone fired an Enfield, now they're getting chased by two thousand zombies, oh wait, now they've been knocked unconscious due to a lucky zombie hit, and now they're bleeding out and oh wait, they logged out before they're completely chewed up by zombies. No big deal.

The scenario changes when there's a bandit sitting on a rooftop sniping people because he has eight packages of CZ ammo. He kills a good half a dozen survivors, and then the unthinkable happens. Everyone in the city is pissed, and everyone in the city cease fire and band up against this dick-on-a-rooftop. They take potshots at the rooftop, they flank the lone bandit sniper, they climb the rooftop, they reach the top, they unholster their weapons, they take aim, and they-oh wait he disconnected.

All the effort, all the death, for nothing. No satisfaction of killing a bandit, no justice in getting the bandit to respawn and start with nothing again, and no body to loot to compensate for the time and ammo spent on this bastard.

And you know for certain he has logged off, changed his name, and went on another server to do the exact, same, thing. Scenarios like this have to go.

Its not just bandits that that use the tactic. I was up at the NW airport raining death upon all who entered, and one lonely survivor got himself all the way on top of the firehouse... bad idea dude. He caught a round from me and my partner as he knelt on the roof top, exposed to everything around. He immediately started spewing blood that dripped down the firehouse tower, all the way to the bottom, it was awesome. He laid flat on the roof, I figured he went unconscious from the two DMR rounds hitting his torso at the same time. Unconscious or not, the prone body disappeared immediately after. I hit P to see the player list, and saw only one guy connected that was not loaded in. No worries, we weren't going anywhere. When he reconnected, and we knew when he did from the player list, we let him climb down to a better spot for his body to lie, he quickly met his demise. His body served as a nice trap for more survivors, as they searched through the seemingly free pile of untouched loot. No chance for a second disconnect, dipshit caught a round to the face for being difficult with us.

How about this:

1) If you have taken PvP fire you are 'tagged' for 3-5 minutes

While being 'tagged' following conditions apply:

- DCing from server locks you said server for 30 minutes.

- Upon entering the game, you are knocked unconcious for 1-3 minutes (this applies to any game / server you join).

- To counteract 'friendly fire' (in group situations) issues, add new feature to a game called 'trusted person', basically tagging this person 'friendly' to you, thus no PVP tagging happens to your character if a 'trusted person' attacks you, in any shape or form.

2) To counteract server hopping, once you log to a server, you get locked to that server for 10-30 minutes.

- This will disable PvP and PvE (raiding multiple supermarkets in quick succession by server hopping for example) server hopping abuse.