This is not a mmo.

Every character has their own end game.

This is no specific goal in the game besides to survive. How you choose to survive is your end game.

Are you one of the Devs? This game is in alpha state which means what we see now is not the end product. Unless you are privy to information that the rest of this are not, I doubt your statement has any factual basis. What you've stated is where the game is NOW, not where its intended to end up. I'm not sure the development team has even nailed this down yet.

This is simply a discussion on what our thoughts and ideas are regarding "end-game" content.

Some kind of incentive to survive

I have thought about that much myself. I would like to see perks. The longer you live and more feats you accomplish you unlock perks that are lost on death. That could give incentive to live longer and even rack up some zombie kills depending on perks. I don't think anything unrealistic should be added. But I am sure there could be some creative perks rocket could come up with that would be in the realm of believable.

Are you one of the Devs? This game is in alpha state which means what we see now is not the end product. Unless you are privy to information that the rest of this are not, I doubt your statement has any factual basis. What you've stated is where the game is NOW, not where its intended to end up. I'm not sure the development team has even nailed this down yet.

This is simply a discussion on what our thoughts and ideas are regarding "end-game" content.

You and like many other in this thread dont understand what a sandbox game is.

Sandbox is where you do what you want. It is your little world to create and destroy.

Sandbox games are never completed. They are always changing. So you can never have a endgame.

http://www.eveonline.com/sandbox/

^ read that. Not exactly what i was trying to say but pretty damn close.

now move along.

Edited by Hashisx

I have thought about that much myself. I would like to see perks. The longer you live and more feats you accomplish you unlock perks that are lost on death. That could give incentive to live longer and even rack up some zombie kills depending on perks. I don't think anything unrealistic should be added. But I am sure there could be some creative perks rocket could come up with that would be in the realm of believable.

Perks is not a bad idea, but I'm not sure if its the right one for the DayZ experience. Perks just seem forced and unnatural for something like this. I don't think the problem is lack of incentive to stay alive because the more loot you acquire, the drive to stay alive increases naturally anyway.

However, I think zombies do need to be a bigger part of the experience than they are now. I don't mean making all of them more dangerous. Perhaps certain areas would be populated by a more aggressive type of zombie and in these areas you would find materials needed to build or fortify a base or settlement. Then, maybe once a settlement is built, it would come under attack by these more aggressive zombies from time to time, forcing the inhabitants to defend their base or be overrun. .....I don't know. Just tossing another idea out there.

You and like many other in this thread dont understand what a sandbox game is.

Sandbox is where you do what you want. It is your little world to create and destroy.

Sandbox games are never completed. They are always changing. So you can never have a endgame.

http://www.eveonline.com/sandbox/

^ read that.

now move along.

There are many sandbox games out there that have content to be accomplished...or not. But you are speaking on what the game is currently, not what it will or may evolve into based on the devs vision. What the game is now does not mean we cannot discuss other ideas. I absolutely love Eve Online and have been playing it for 7 years because there are so many options and so much depth to each option. This is the ONLY game so far that has kept my attention for so long. It is not just about betting the best ship, equipment and then going out and pwning noobs. It CAN be that if that is what you want to do, but you're not going to be successful doing it solo. The point is....Eve Online is an example of a sandbox game that has the potential and the content to be as much or as little as you want it to be.

I think the term "end game" not the correct term for what the OP wanted to discuss. Correct me if I'm wrong, OP. I believe what they meant is: what other game content options would we like to have available to us once we successfully get kitted up the way we want. Right now, the "end game" is getting kitted up with the best and rarest equipment out there and then what.......? Go hunting (pwning) noobs? Wander around and see the sights? Why would anyone complain about the possibility and option of more to do? You have to understand that I do not think this alpha is the end all and be all as far as the content the Devs have in mind. But I may be wrong about that.

Edited by Phienyx
  • Like 1

Maybe i put this a little wrong,

But when creating this thread i just wanted to know what people would like to see not what the game already is.

no thx to any structured end game. its a sandbox. it needs to stay a sandbox.

Edited by Ganjastar

Yeah.I have an idea.GO PLAY A MMORPG.

What's the difference between DayZ and an instanced MMO?

I'm currently on day 27. I have NVGs, a DMR (looted AS50 and m107, but can't scope witht he NVGs on so I tossed them), anti-biotics, and basically everything else you can think of.

cough* combat logger cough*

The crafting/construction thing would be nice. Like make your own ammo and stuff like that, but the main content of "my Dayz" is mainly hunting for chopper wrecks and shooting players. Thats it and I like it.

• Like 1

Why not have unique skins that are only available by doing weird things like only ever eating cans of beans. You could call it the Supermarket Survivalist skin. If you eat anything other than beans ever you lose that skin. Better yet would be one that is available for eating only cooked animal meat and drinking only bottled water. You could get a title next your name in-game as well.

Destry - Supermarket Survivalist

or

Destry - Carnivore

cough* combat logger cough*

Are you talking from first hand experience here? Because surviving for several weeks is not particularly hard if you avoid towns and get your high-end gear from heli crashes.

Are you talking from first hand experience here? Because surviving for several weeks is not particularly hard if you avoid towns and get your high-end gear from heli crashes.

I've played the game for 300 hours, and I don't see surviving for 27 days in populated servers being very likely unless you: combat log, play on very low pop servers or count actual days, when having just a few hours of actual playtime.

I could be wrong of course, but It just seems very unlikely from my experience. I mean, no matter how good you are, you are bound to get shot once.

also, heli crashes are really good places to camp for easy kills, I don't see that as a risk free tactic at all.

I stopped reading at page 2.

facepalm.jpg

Now that that's out of the way, the Battlefield Endgame DLC will be coming out in March 2013. Have a nice day.

If you're talking about extra content, then I would say more features. I'm not talking about big huge zombie bosses or big huge town invasions. I'm talking about things like, more guns, more general loot, other polishes and other general things.

Edited by Sticker704

I think too many people got hung up and can't get past the mistaken misuse of the word "end game" in this particular instance. I think the OP want's to know what else could this game offer other than running around with gear for no apparent reason.

• Like 1

Didn't Rocket mention an endgame at a recent press conference?

• Like 1

im not gonna flesh this idea out but what if players could pick a (skill) like gunsmithing...for example. then u make it so u need to use other skills in the game to survive or survive easier and/or do certain things...this would make ppl not shoot everyone on site and maybe make others approch players becuz they would have a possible "need" for their abilities..i dunno just a thought

"End game" could be collecting building mats from scrap heaps and making small clan/group buildings, Not really end game but it would give people a lot to do on down time.

Edit: Also would not mind a VERY minor skill system in game that resets on death

IE:

Medic lvl 1-3 makes it so bandages heal for 500ish, lvl 4-5 makes it so can "mend" bones with bandage/wood like stilt.

Cook lvl 1-3 all food restores 100+ blood, lvl 4-5 using cooked meat will heal temp as well "By like 1-3+"

and so on nothing to crazy or long term I guess.

Edited by Kovah

Didn't Rocket mention an endgame at a recent press conference?

I don't recall an "Endgame" per se, but he did mention the ability to build camps underground and other basic elements that should improve DayZ.

DayZ, as it is now, is certainly lacking a few elements that makes its' premise not being achieved. Right now it is an inevitable DM/TDM game with the Zs just being a secondary challenge. Even without a Weapon a player can sprint through Cherno/Electro with a trail of Zs behind them with near impunity, except for Snipers and other players who shoot on sight. In a Z apocalypse, neither situation would be reality, Zs would be the primary threat and other people, the vast majority of the time, would band together in order to survive. Achieving that is difficult though.

DayZ is a great concept, but if it can't achieve a realistic post apocalypse experience, some other Mod/Game will and DayZ will become a footnote in gaming history.

In a Z apocalypse, neither situation would be reality, Zs would be the primary threat and other people, the vast majority of the time, would band together in order to survive. Achieving that is difficult though.

You certainly have a higher concept of the human race than I do.

In the case of any apocalypse, with it's collapse of civilization, I wouldn't expect peaceful cooperation between all people.

You would see some acts of heroism, sure. But much more suspicion, selfishness and greed. No, there would probably not be many people shooting rifles indiscriminately from the roofs. But thieves and scavengers would be more dangerous than the zombies. That is a common theme in all apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic movies and stories.

Ultimately, what makes realistic dynamics impossible is the fact that this is a game. No matter what I do, if I'm killed, I can respawn and try again, so it's fine to run risks. And why bother robbing that guy at gunpoint, if I can achieve exactly the same thing killing him? He respawns somewhere else, and I keep his stuff.

But back to "endgame", I see it mostly revolving around group conflict, relating to the above. The hard part is finding the right mechanics for groups to want to fight each other (other than "it's fun").

You certainly have a higher concept of the human race than I do.

In the case of any apocalypse, with it's collapse of civilization, I wouldn't expect peaceful cooperation between all people.

You would see some acts of heroism, sure. But much more suspicion, selfishness and greed. No, there would probably not be many people shooting rifles indiscriminately from the roofs. But thieves and scavengers would be more dangerous than the zombies. That is a common theme in all apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic movies and stories.

Ultimately, what makes realistic dynamics impossible is the fact that this is a game. No matter what I do, if I'm killed, I can respawn and try again, so it's fine to run risks. And why bother robbing that guy at gunpoint, if I can achieve exactly the same thing killing him? He respawns somewhere else, and I keep his stuff.

But back to "endgame", I see it mostly revolving around group conflict, relating to the above. The hard part is finding the right mechanics for groups to want to fight each other (other than "it's fun").

I agree that not All will join together for altruistic reasons. Banditry would certainly exist, factions would develop and even fight each other for territory, etc, etc. However, currently DayZ makes DM/Shoot on sight the only invetable outcome. That is not realistic.

Yes, it is a game. It is a game, though, with a premise. If it fails to meet that premise, someone else will achieve it and people will abandon DayZ for it.

• Like 1