bbilbo1

Agree or Disagree? Why we kill...

I can't tell anyone how to play, but it's much easier for me to deal with being shot if I know it wasn't "for lulz".

+1 the only other reason i kill players is if i see them killing other players im one of thos people that likes too see justice done

You misspelled griefing... I take it you have never played an mmo on an ffa server before like ac1 & 2 darktide, uo, shadowbane, darkfall and a few others and come across a hardcore pk guild. Griefing is a lifestyle with those guilds. The philosophy is "red is dead" in other words anyone other than clan members are an enemy and are to be killed on sight (kos). Then for fun you camp their corpse or spawn for hours. Of course this pretty much ruins the day for the ones being killed or at least breaks their momentum.

I see you have equated griefing with not giving a shit about the game. The two are not necessarily synonymous. Also there are several reward factors built into the game for killing another player. Your murder count goes up, the thrill of the kill, and you getsss their lootsss.

As far as myself...well you will just have to find out when you meet me in game...

getting in a firefight exhibits the exact core of this game - risk versus reward

you might be killed

you might get aggro

you might get spotted

they might have gear

even if you wanna play this game aggressively that is no justification for someone to tell you to go play a "shooter", this is like hardcore diablo in the sense that if you die you lose all your gear.....this all contributes to the "thrill"

Killing another player because:

[sURVIVAL]

• I'm dying due to lack of food/water/medicine/etc and they might have some: OKAY!
  • They have something and I want it!: OKAY!
  • They have a weapon, and/or I generally feel like they are a threat to me: OKAY!
  • I'm trying to hide from zombies/players and this person may reveal my location to undesirables: OKAY!

This list is pretty fair as of 1.7.2, although I think the only reason it is so long is that the only gear DayZ offers to players are self-survival tools and weapons made for killing people. If those are the only items any person you meet will ever have, what benefit could that person possibly serve other than to take their gear?

[COMPETITION]

• I'm going for a high kill/death ratio! Not really the point of this particular mod...
  • I want to show that I have better skill at shooters than the other players. Not really the point of this particular mod...
  • I'm bored of zombies and players are more my speed. Not really the point of this particular mod...

[GREIFING]

• I don't care about the game... I love ruining the fun of other anonymous people over the internet, free of consequence. WTF is wrong with you?! Get help soon!

NOTE: all this is just my opinion. Feel free to discuss and debate this viewpoint on gameplay. Agree? Disagree? Comment below!

As for Competition, I would change "Not really the point of this particular mod..." to "negates the purpose of DayZ's existence", because there is nearly an unlimited number of shooters that offer much better DM experiences and much quicker gratification. I personally feel that most people who come to be competitive in DayZ are bored military shooter vets or people who generally suck at real hardcore shooters. They have found weaknesses in the mod which are easily exploitable, so they stick around.

Griefing is a part of online gaming the same as complaining is the backbone of internet forums. It should be mitigated at least to prevent the mod from dying. Rocket fortunately understands this, unlike some developers.

They have something and I want it!: OKAY!

No that is NOT okay and is wrong.^

Not sure if trolling or not..

Hes not saying killing people for their stuff is a good/nice thing to do, just that it is a legit reason to kill someone. Sure its a dbag move, but at least there is reason behind it even if that reason is selfish.

That is a long way off from someone who kills you because they know it will piss you off, because they want to inflate a little number on their screen, or because they are bored with the same crappy FPS every year and want to keep it fresh. . Those are selfish reasons to ruin the game for their own amusement. Which I think was the point OP was trying to get at..

Killing people for selfish reasons IN GAME is 100% fine and encouraged.

Killing people for selfish personal reasons (your bored with zombies, you miss CoD) are the type of players we need out of this game.

Altough I would agree to that personally. The game is like EVE Online... as long as you are playing by the rules, you can do can kill whatever you want.

I think the OP makes some good points. I have been killed a few times by players. Their intentions forever unknown and I really don't care. I play on the nothern half of the map mostly and if you made it up there then you should be armed and expecting a fight. The people killing fresh meat on the beaches. *shrugs* They have not killed me yet and if I can figure it out surely other people can.

I kill anyone who looks at me, because they can open fire at any moment. I won't shoot someone if they haven't seen me though, I'll let them go on their way.

The way I see it, if i see someone today and let him go, just cause i'm nice. he's going to go on get good gear get bored then stalk and kill me down the line.

I try to keep my turf in my server nice and clean.

It's awesome how people just don't read other peoples post but just blurb their shit onto screen...

People kill each other because they think the other player will kill them if they don't.

I'd like for you to expand on that, if you don't mind. Can you be more specific?

Here we have a Zombie Survival Simulator game. You say that the thrill you get comes not from the ever-present zombie threat, and not from the survival aspect of food/drink/exposure/bloodloss. But you get your thrill from simple act of shooting other players and engaging in firefights to the death.

Some would say that there are a whole plethora of other games that exclusively offer that gameplay... and even does it better than this game does! Tell me why you're opting to play this game instead of one of those. It seems akin to buying an entire car, just to have a radio.

I don't see this as a zombie survival game. I see it as a survival game. Zombies are just a part of the problems and one of the elements to survive.

The environment is an element - stay warm or your survival is tougher, If you get sick survival is tougher

Thirst & hunger are an element - you need food & water to survive

Zombies are an element - they will kill you and you want to survive.

Finally, other humans are an element - they are the most interesting because they can be the most deadly, they can shoot you without you even knowing they were there, or they can help you repair that chopper or give you that needed transfusion.

I don't see this as a zombie survival, it's an apocalypse survival.

Rockets said before, he creates the environment, we (each of us) choose what to do.

I have worked cooperatively with players and I've killed players, I have no regrets except for not pulling the trigger earlier in some encounters.

Anyway, i think looking at this as a zombie survival is wrong, but rocket created it for you to play it your way, but be aware that others are playing it there way, which includes killing you for no reason, so it's an element you need to try and survive.

As for Competition, I would change "Not really the point of this particular mod..." to "negates the purpose of DayZ's existence", because there is nearly an unlimited number of shooters that offer much better DM experiences and much quicker gratification. I personally feel that most people who come to be competitive in DayZ are bored military shooter vets or people who generally suck at real hardcore shooters. They have found weaknesses in the mod which are easily exploitable, so they stick around.

It's funny how you seem to equate "hardcore" and "quicker gratification". Surely they are opposed concepts? Those deathmatch games are terribly casual, not hardcore. You can join and leave at any minute, death means nothing and you always respawn instantly. You can't get more casual than that.

Those games offer fun, but no adrenaline rush. While after a firefight in DayZ you walk away from the computer with your heart racing. It more than makes up for the rarity of those firefights.

• Like 1

It's funny how you seem to equate "hardcore" and "quicker gratification". Surely they are opposed concepts? Those deathmatch games are terribly casual, not hardcore. You can join and leave at any minute, death means nothing and you always respawn instantly. You can't get more casual than that.

Those games offer fun, but no adrenaline rush. While after a firefight in DayZ you walk away from the computer with your heart racing. It more than makes up for the rarity of those firefights.

I'd say it depends on everyone's definition of "hardcore". I think what he means with hardcore is that it actually takes some skill to actually excel in those other shooters. In DayZ, it mostly comes down to who sees whom first. Not much skill in it really.

I'd say it depends on everyone's definition of "hardcore". I think what he means with hardcore is that it actually takes some skill to actually excel in those other shooters. In DayZ, it mostly comes down to who sees whom first. Not much skill in it really.

If you think skill is the same as who can control their mouse best at the highest sensitivity, sure. Arma2 is not designed for that, because it's focused on realism. For me, that's pretty shallow gameplay. Maybe I'm growing old, who knows.

Being aware of your surroundings so you see the other guy first. Always staying in or near cover so you can react to an attack. Planning your approach and your escape route beforehand. Those are the skills you need. The same ones you'd need in a real situation.

If you think skill is the same as who can control their mouse best at the highest sensitivity, sure. Arma2 is not designed for that, because it's focused on realism. For me, that's pretty shallow gameplay. Maybe I'm growing old, who knows.

Being aware of your surroundings so you see the other guy first. Always staying in or near cover so you can react to an attack. Planning your approach and your escape route beforehand. Those are the skills you need. The same ones you'd need in a real situation.

Lol, you're assuming too much. I merely said that I think that's what he thinks, not what I think. Besides, some of the things you listed are things you also do in the other shooters like finding cover, reacting to gunshots, planning approach, escape route, etc. All of those exist in the other games also. You have to do these things if you want to keep your streaks instead of just feeding other people kills over and over again. About the only difference is that you die slightly harder and encounters are much more frequent that it becomes casual.

Besides, most people don't even employ those tactics that you mention. Most just wait on top of a hill or a roof with a scoped rifle, waiting for some indication of running zombies aggroed by some poor sob. Not really much "skill" in that.

Edited by Whattteva

Besides, most people don't even employ those tactics that you mention. Most just wait on top of a hill or a roof with a scoped rifle, waiting for some poor sob to aggro a zombie to shoot. Not really much "skill" in that.

Oh, I agree. But much of that will go away when/if server hopping and DCing gets "fixed". There's very few spots where you can do that and get regular kills without server hopping until you see zombies. They are well known, and relatively easy to scout from a distance. The others require a metric ton of patience, which in a way is a skill.