bbilbo1

Agree or Disagree? Why we kill...

Oh, absolutely. I've been an EVE Online player for quite a few years and I'm familiar with the need to rebalance things from time to time.

But I don't think the problem is what you think it is. The PVP in DayZ is very enjoyable and probably one of its strong points. Any sort of discouraging/punishment of what you perceive as pointless PVP, is only going to hurt an important facet of the game.

Now, what the game is missing, is conflict drivers for the geared up players.

Once you reach a certain point in your ingame life, you have the tools you need to survive forever in the forest. You have your favorite PVP gun, and a pack full of stuff for "emergencies". Now what's left? What reason would you have to PVP except the thrill of it? That's what we are seeing.

The only thing filling in as a conflict driver right now are vehicles. And let me tell you, the vehicle ambushes I've been involved in have been awesome. But then, if the vehicle even survives the fight (and I'm at a 33% survival rate myself), what did you win? They are not really that useful, and having multiple vehicles is usually a waste.

TL;DR: It's not that people are killing each other for the wrong reasons, it's that there's no right reason to kill each other once you reach a certain point. But killing each other is fun, so we do it anyway.

That's a good point.

One thing is for sure:

When it comes to tweaking and balancing a persistent multiplayer game, you don't fix bluntly with a hammer, you do it finely with a brush.

And as always, thanks to everyone for adding your input and thoughts.

I created an account on these forums just to say that I personally KoS because I am tired of being the hunted, and choose to be the hunter. Recently I saw a couple of people taking up sniping positions near the NWAF and I could have easily went back the way I came and explored somewhere else for a bit. I however gunned them both down not because I was in danger. In fact by gunning them down I opened myself up to much more danger. I did it because I didn't want to always be on the receiving side. Just my two cents.

I created an account on these forums just to say that I personally KoS because I am tired of being the hunted, and choose to be the hunter.

So "survival" games are not made for you.

Here we have a Zombie Survival Simulator game. You say that the thrill you get comes not from the ever-present zombie threat, and not from the survival aspect of food/drink/exposure/bloodloss. But you get your thrill from simple act of shooting other players and engaging in firefights to the death.

yeah, it's exhilarating. I don't think it needs a detailed explanation. face it, the game wouldn't be as fun if there wasn't the threat of being killed by other players. it makes it a totally different game. I see another player and my heart almost comes out my chest. did he see me? do I take the shot? what if I miss? is he alone? will others hear the shot? does he have something I want?

and no I don't kill unarmed noobs on the coast. I do like to fuck with them though. I'll shoot in the air, or shoot zeds around them. it's fun to watch them freak out (and sometimes DC)

I'm not sure I could ever end someone's life 'in real life'. but this is a game. when you die, you lose your stuff and start over. it's not like you can never play the game again

So "survival" games are not made for you.

as the game is, there really isn't much to survival, without the threat of pvp. once you get a hatchet, matches, a hunting knife, and a water bottle, you can 'survive' forever and not even go near zeds

Edited by daze23

Ok,after some weeks of surviving i think i understand the "bored" feeling that makes you a PvPer.

I mean,i will never kill other players if not threatened,but i understand players that do so for tedium.

I have got a DMR,the biggerst bacpack in the game,food and water for 3 people.....what now? How do i use all these things?

Ok,after some weeks of surviving i think i understand the "bored" feeling that makes you a PvPer.

I mean,i will never kill other players if not threatened,but i understand players that do so for tedium.

I have got a DMR,the biggerst bacpack in the game,food and water for 3 people.....what now? How do i use all these things?

Agreed. It all comes down to the fact that the only thing in this mod that is marginally fleshed-out is PvP Combat.

Add more to the rest of the game, and some issues of boredom are lessened.

Agree, 100%, The only reason I kill is because I feel threatened, if I don't kill them, how can I be sure they wont kill me?

what do you have to lose? some gear that you can get in 1 hour of gametime?

Edited by LumberBack

I shoot people in the legs then run the zombie train past them and laugh

Most of you will think I'm a horrible person, but it's a sandbox game and this is what I want to do with it. If you die to my random run by you were probably being careless in a survival sim. You obviously weren't very good at surviving if i run the zombie train on you.