dope25

Allow stmovement!

I would really appreciate if @stmovement would be allowed, so you don't feel like an elephant trying to fit through a door, but rather a human walking through it.

I would really appreciate if @stmovement would be allowed' date=' so you don't feel like an elephant trying to fit through a door, but rather a human walking through it.

[/quote']

For all us noobs out there, could you elaborate?

EDIT:

So I definitely agree with this.

Oh, yes please! And as this is clientside I don't see it causing any work for the devs, and I can't think of any balance issues off of the top of my head.

Yes, either include it in the Dayz files, or let all servers accept the mod.

Has anyone tried simply playing w/ the stmovement mod isntalled? I remember reading on reddit that it is compatible with most servers.

Has anyone tried simply playing w/ the stmovement mod isntalled? I remember reading on reddit that it is compatible with most servers.

I know its allowed on all the US Hardcore servers, says so when you log in

Last server I tried to join with @stmovement kicked me out, so what we need is just so that all servers accept that and then we know it really works with all servers, rather than half or so.

STMovement should be included with the mod by default. IIRC that mod's developer works for BIS now so it shouldn't be too hard for Rocket and him to work something out

The thing you have to consider is first off, you want as little outside addons, etc. in a mod IF there is the possibility of it going commercial. Once that happens licensing, etc. can become a mess unless all the code is your own.

Secondly the st_movement addon, while it's kinda neat, is also unrealistic. It shortens the collision box of the weapon so that you can move through doors, etc. without it hitting anything. You'll note even in the video that's popularly shown for this addon that the weapon in hand is a short barreled weapon. Try this with something like an AK-47 and watch the end of the barrel just pass right through the door frame, etc.

Arma 2 tries to simulate (it is after all a sim) actual movement and that means you need to learn to lower your barrel with longer weapons or you are going to be banging them into stuff. Simple as that. Try moving through a door with your pistol drawn... not near as bad, eh? Or lower your barrel. Realism.

Yeah, it's definitely realistic that I get hung up entering a doorway pointing directly forward with a pistol. STMovement may be slightly unrealistic but it compensates for things we can do in real life but not in game: contort our bodies naturally to allow quick movement through narrow places, and very quickly manipulate our weapons. You can't lower a pistol, and it takes 2 double taps of ctrl to lower and then raise a rifle, which in reality you would still be able to angle into a doorway for firing.

There are buildings in the game with corridors that won't let you turn around if you have your pistol out. You have to literally walk backwards. I don't know if that's realistic but I know for sure it's not fun.

I desperately agree. At times, walking through doors has made me aggro many zombies, and even get shot by enemy players.

STMovement has my positive vote.

Try moving through a door with your pistol drawn...

yeah, and it doesn't let you through. realism, I guess. trying to fit through the door with arms held straight in front. problem is, you can't bend them

It's one type of realism vs. another type of realism. It isn't realistic to peek around a doorframe with an enfield but at the same time it isn't realistic to get your pistol caught on a shelf and have to back out of a building to turn around. I would prefer stmovement to be included fully but you can see how some people would not.

You can compromise and modify stmovement so it has varying degress of effectiveness but the creator of the mod states in the terms & conditions that this isn't allowed. However, it is hardly a mod that couldn't be recreated easily it would just be unfair to the original creator.

I would really appreciate if @stmovement would be allowed' date=' so you don't feel like an elephant trying to fit through a door, but rather a human walking through it.

[/quote']

So I take it you've never tried to go through a doorway sideways in full combat gear (or even just a backpack), while pointing a full length assault rifle? Because if you had, you'd know that most assault rifles (and other long barrelled weapons) are actually longer than the width of most average doors, which makes such a manoeuvre impossible in real life (and handling them in tight spaces). So here's what you should do when moving indoors with an assault rifle, both in real life and in ARMA: LOWER THE FUCKING BARREL.

Tadaah, problem solved with a single press of a button already found in the game, instead of making this Yet Another Incorporeal Weapon Floating In The Air aka every other FPS out there.

JimiEZ, I take it you've never tried to run 60km in full combat gear (or even just a backpack) at a full sprint, while pointing a full length assault rifle? Because if you had, you'd know that YOU CAN'T FUCKING DO IT! Yet Rocket thinks it's okay, so we have it.

You have to be able to suspend belief in some regards when playing games, even in a game as brutal as DayZ. The real way to approach issues like this is to weight the negative aspects vs. the positive and choose the lesser of the two evils. There are too many weird moments in the game because of collision from guns or backpacks. While stmovment isn't perfect, it's an improvement on the way the game is now.

The thing you have to consider is first off' date=' you want as little outside addons, etc. in a mod IF there is the possibility of it going commercial. Once that happens licensing, etc. can become a mess unless all the code is your own.

Secondly the st_movement addon, while it's kinda neat, is also unrealistic. It shortens the collision box of the weapon so that you can move through doors, etc. without it hitting anything. You'll note even in the video that's popularly shown for this addon that the weapon in hand is a short barreled weapon. Try this with something like an AK-47 and watch the end of the barrel just pass right through the door frame, etc.

Arma 2 tries to simulate (it is after all a sim) actual movement and that means you need to learn to lower your barrel with longer weapons or you are going to be banging them into stuff. Simple as that. Try moving through a door with your pistol drawn... not near as bad, eh? Or lower your barrel. Realism.

[/quote']

Commercial possibility: I would like to know if Rocket (or whoever is the dev lead) thinks about going commercial. If he does though, there shouldn't be a problem from disallowing @stmovement from the servers once it does go commercial, or even have it as optional as it is now. If it isn't so I'm probably not imagining DayZ as commercial accurately.

As for the mentioned minuses of ST_Movement, I believe the good it does outweighs the negative. CQB action right now in ArmA 2 is (rather) impossible with movement: you have to stop in order to be able to shoot most of the time, which this fixes. I believe the reduced collision of your gun's barrel with the wall is meant to be that way even though it's unrealistic, so that you can actually do something while standing next to a wall.

Sounds good. At least make @DayZ compatible with @stmovement, so that server admins can choose to allow it, and players choose to use it if they want.

The movement in Arma is clunky, which may be realistic, however, when realism takes away from the player experience I think it's a bad thing.

ArmA2 may be slightly more realistic than most FPS games, but no game has EVER gotten player movement right. However, to contort your body to do things like this takes a script/50+ keys (one for each muscle) to code in. The solution would really be to let us shorten the pistol stance into something small so we can walk sideways into a door. Bringing the pistol up would be no different than bringing the barrel down.

Don't get me wrong, I too would like the ability to spin around with my big bulky backpack with my assault rifle fully extended like a ballerina in narrow dorrways, but most of all I want my little harmless custom addon to give me an unfair advantage when fighting other player indoors and a pink tu-tu.

I can tell you exactly WHY stmovement or something that does the same job NEEDS to be included in the mod. I was trying to meet up with a mate in stary last night, long story short, he accidentally aggro'd some zeds, and ran into one of those red brick houses and up the stairs to try to try to create a choke point. Unfortunately for him, he walked up the stairs instead of backing up them, and couldn't turn around. As a result he was torn to shreds by zombies. I know that's what happened because it nearly happened to me too, when I went to borrow his matches and AK.

I don't care how "realistic" your long arm bullcrap is, having to back down WIDE stairs in order to turn around is NOT realistic. I'd rather have my gun clip through walls than be stuck because my avatar's arms are made of reinforced concrete.