resausk

v1.7.2 Aggros zombies much more then usual?

I still think this game would be better if the zombies were slow. The aggro could be high, and 10x more zombies on the map. I hate the 28 Days Later zombies...

• Like 1

there are the odd occassions when a zed aggros when it feels wrong, but generally you all need to change the way you play instead of calling it a pain. otherwise we may as well remove zeds from the game.

i hope zeds keep getting ramped up a little at a time. detection seems better now (except the odd one) - hopefully next we get nuch more zeds in large towns/cities. give people in groups with LMGs and assault rifles something to get their teeth into.

I think they are seeing better in daylight is reason they aggor so easy in daytime.Are people actually writing this?No offense meant but dam,don't you think your more visible in daytime conditions?

You can easier outdistance them by night but zombies are easy getting aggroed right now. I feel like that whole IRL comparison is nonsense since zombies would never be that fast. :P

But yeah, back to the topic it's kinda annoying since you have to crawl through almost everything.

Edited by CrzSucks

zombies are a lot more aware of their surroundings, as it should be... now if they didnt run like olympic sprinters, it wouldnt be so bad... lol Still need to play some more before I make up my mind if I like it or not...

Have to add, that ive been playing the 1.7.2.1 patch, so it might be different...

Edited by LumberBack

Well, I kinda like it..but If I had a new character with nothing at all I'd be pissed.

Yeah a new character should at least start off with a crappy melee weapon, something good enough to take one zed out before you get knocked down below 6000 blood. Starting off with no way to defend yourself is neither fun nor realistic, but it is terribly frustrating.

What's the deal with the visibility counter on the debug menu? Does it refer to how many feet away a zombie can see you from?

I can't decide if I like it the way it is now or not. It encourages people to worry more about zeds while in a town than other players, which is always good. Also, it keeps people from shooting on sight if there are a lot of zeds around. (unless they're some server hopper)

Yeah a new character should at least start off with a crappy melee weapon, something good enough to take one zed out before you get knocked down below 6000 blood. Starting off with no way to defend yourself is neither fun nor realistic, but it is terribly frustrating.

It's not that bad. I think the longest it took me to get a weapon was about an hour, and only because I was in a new area I've never been to before. If anything, melee weapons should just be easier to find for newly spawned players.

What we SHOULD start with is a morphine injector. I don't know about anybody else, but I have yet to actually get to a hospital before I get ganked. Made it to a supermarket, which made my day, and then accidentally crouched when I was low-crawling through zombies and was promptly eaten.

It's impossible to enter towns now. It's incredibly annoying to see degraded,rotten,half-dead humans being FASTER than you, see at longer distances like you (hawk eye capability), and hear like superman.

The game is broken now.

I feel like that whole IRL comparison is nonsense since zombies would never be that fast. :P

'cause you've seen zombies in RL, right?

• Like 1

It's impossible to enter towns now. It's incredibly annoying to see degraded,rotten,half-dead humans being FASTER than you, see at longer distances like you (hawk eye capability), and hear like superman.

The game is broken now.

To be fair, you do see the zombies before they see you... just dont run right into them...

• Like 1

To be fair, you do see the zombies before they see you... just dont run right into them...

You can see zed's from hundreds of meters away. You are a human. A zombie is a brain-dead rotting corpse that walks. It's vision and hearing capabilities are not even close to yours. This thing shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a bush and a tree at 10 meters.

Here is the story I shared on the 1.7.2. feedback topic:

"I was on my way to Zelenogorsk, and I decided to visit the supermarket. There is a big empty parking place near it, and there were 2 zombies there. I was about 25m away from that place, crouched into what I thought to be safe, tall grass/vegetation. I decided that entering the supermarket from such a visible location was not so clever so I decided to increase my distance from the town and try from the other side of the supermarket. As soon as I made my first step to move AWAY from the town, the 2 zeds (1 hopper 1 standing) immediately spotted me from +- 50 meters and started running towards me. I had to run towards a nearby barn and take all the zombies that got aggro'd 1 by 1, wasting ammo and gathering more at the same time."

Dozens of similar situations occured while playing the new patch. We need to revert to 1.7.1.5 as far as zombie intelligence/detection range is concerned.

I also agree with most of the stuff that has been said in this topic. New agroing logic is way too off. I already lost all of my equipment thanks to ghillie suit bug and died because I had no weapon to defend myself with, but I can close my eye for this, even tho I had some of the rarest item in the game (NVG, Mountain Dew, FN FAL nightvision etc..). But you can't just forget about this new zombie logic. It is just uncapable of playing. It's like playing super mario without the jump function. Well not really, but you get the point. Zeds are one of the main aspects of this game and they don't even work properly. Perhaps you should address this problem first before creating "first ever tournaments" and designing new forum graphics.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but I just don't think the developers of this mod feel the pain we do.

Edited by Rocu

The first zombie aggro'd in this video pretty much shows how broken the aggroing is in this game. He's behind it, crawling and still gets aggro'd, its as if the zombie is psychic.

They've always been like that. He was quiet the whole time and didn't once get in front of the zombie. What'st he problem? That you can't touch them before they break into a run? Why would anyone get that close to a zombie if they weren't testing it? If you watched more than a minute of that video you'd see how easy it is to lose zombies an what not to do if you don't want to aggro them from a huge distance.

• Like 1

This is probably intentional. Every patch the game becomes less fun. Rockets not trying to make a game for you to play. He's trying to train people how to survive a Zombie apocalypse not to have fun.

I'm sure at least a couple of game companies are ripping this idea off and working on a micro transaction based free to play mmo style game with none of arma 2's limitations or Rockets hardcore ideals.

What's the deal with the visibility counter on the debug menu? Does it refer to how many feet away a zombie can see you from?

This counter only tells you at what distance a zombie MAY see you IF they're looking in your direction.

With their decreased hearing and added vision and the ability to lose them around corners zombies are easier than ever.

It's not that bad. I think the longest it took me to get a weapon was about an hour, and only because I was in a new area I've never been to before. If anything, melee weapons should just be easier to find for newly spawned players.

What we SHOULD start with is a morphine injector. I don't know about anybody else, but I have yet to actually get to a hospital before I get ganked. Made it to a supermarket, which made my day, and then accidentally crouched when I was low-crawling through zombies and was promptly eaten.

I say take the broken bone thing out til the reasons you get them are fixed. One hit from a crawler zombie and I had brokend leg today. I walked from the backroom to the front room of a supermarket today and my leg broke - along with this zombie thing was there an outbreak of osteoperosis in Chenarus? I'm not going to spend an hour crawling to a hospital in a video game in hope of finding an unlikely drop of morphine.

As for my previous comment, I stand by the need for at least a weak melee weapon. I regularly will play about half an hour with no weapon, and usually die before I find one. Very furstrating.

I've noticed that fighting zombies just isn't fun. Even if you've got some sweet gear, you're not going to fight the zombies unless you really need to. You simply save your gear for PVP.

I think it's partly due to their ridiculous running speed and their tendency to erratically zigzag and circle you until they reach you. Thus, even with great weapons, you don't feel too compelled to engage them. Just do your best to lose them somewhere since they can't touch you running at full speed anyways. They'll just stay on your heels indefinitely until their AI's pathfinding screws up and you lose them.

With the increased aggro in the latest patch, I've pretty much stopped sneaking entirely. I just juke them till I reach the building I desire to loot, then run out the other door. Sneaking has become worthless.

Personally I think zombies would be more challanging and fun to engage instead of just annoying, if they're given back their poor detection abilities, and hobbled at moderate speed instead of sprint at 25 mph. The catch to that is that they alert others, head straight for you, and hitting you would result in you slowing down to a walk.

This greatly supports both sneaking, and engaging in combat when detected, and adds more survival elements than simply running through a building or out of town when detected.

I've noticed that fighting zombies just isn't fun. Even if you've got some sweet gear, you're not going to fight the zombies unless you really need to. You simply save your gear for PVP.

I think it's partly due to their ridiculous running speed and their tendency to erratically zigzag and circle you until they reach you. Thus, even with great weapons, you don't feel too compelled to engage them. Just do your best to lose them somewhere since they can't touch you running at full speed anyways. They'll just stay on your heels indefinitely until their AI's pathfinding screws up and you lose them.

With the increased aggro in the latest patch, I've pretty much stopped sneaking entirely. I just juke them till I reach the building I desire to loot, then run out the other door. Sneaking has become worthless.

Personally I think zombies would be more challanging and fun to engage instead of just annoying, if they're given back their poor detection abilities, and hobbled at moderate speed instead of sprint at 25 mph. The catch to that is that they alert others, head straight for you, and hitting you would result in you slowing down to a walk.

This greatly supports both sneaking, and engaging in combat when detected, and adds more survival elements than simply running through a building or out of town when detected.

Line of Sight was added to the zombie behavior. It's not a pathing issue. You can lose zombies by running around walls, buildings, and trees now. It's intentional. It's easy. Sneaking is easier than ever. You could be doing it wrong. The new zombie behavior requires a new approach. You can't do what you were doing before the patch and expect the same results.

The zombies need to become tougher.

Edited by Super67_
  • Like 1

Has no one noticed the visual number in the debug monitor? :o

It depends on many things by the looks of it like height of terrain, if standing, prone etc.

I managed to crawl through polana with not too much aggro axe is your friend atm! ;)

Edited by Itchy

there are the odd occassions when a zed aggros when it feels wrong, but generally you all need to change the way you play instead of calling it a pain. otherwise we may as well remove zeds from the game.

i hope zeds keep getting ramped up a little at a time. detection seems better now (except the odd one) - hopefully next we get nuch more zeds in large towns/cities. give people in groups with LMGs and assault rifles something to get their teeth into.

Hear this man. Don't do what you used to do in 1.7.1.5, but try new approaches to stealth. This is nowhere near the level of 1.7.1.4 where the zeds would literally come running for you from everywhere. I've sneaked on an open field to get to a heli crash and the zombies didn't aggro....as long as I stayed out of their LoS. But when you get within their LoS, it seems that the aggro doesn't happen instantly, but rather has a chance to happen, meaning you can still get prone and crawl away. Seems really good imo, not sure if needs a little bit of tweaking as I haven't gone to the big towns yet. Though to be fair, I think those places shouldn't be stealthable anyway.

And as for people crying for the pussy-zeds of 1.7.1.5, I hope rocket doesn't cave.

Line of Sight was added to the zombie behavior. It's not a pathing issue. You can lose zombies by running around walls, buildings, and trees now. It's intentional. It's easy. Sneaking is easier than ever. You could be doing it wrong. The new zombie behavior requires a new approach. You can't do what you were doing before the patch and expect the same results.

The zombies need to become tougher.

Oh I've got it mostly figured out now, though it is still rather inconsistant and silly at times. yes LoS is in it, but it's hardly reliable, thus in most situations it's just a better idea to run into buildings instead. The sight and sound indicators are no longer reliable and now serve but a basic approximation and to be used as a general guide.

Either way, it's now more effective and efficient to not bother with sneaking and simply dart from building to building to look for loot which is a large problem for this mod.