FrostDMG

L85A2 disabled? Reaaaly? DICE?

Oh and to everyone talking about nerfing the thermal sites, I should point out that I have extensive experience in working around thermal systems in the army...and thermal sights don't have a short range. I've worked with several systems with ranges of 5 miles and more.

Well... To be honest i agree with this new ninja change of removing the L85, i had 3 of them in my camp and i honestly didnt like them, felt a little op and actually really bothered me the thermo scope because like someone said before it doesnt feel like it belongs to a survival zombie game, even the really high caliber rifles doesnt feel like they should be around, i think its enough with the DMR, M24, CZ550 and SVD, those weapons look good and not out of line, im not saying that the big caliber snipers are op or anything but i feel like they do not fit inside the mod, i mean hell i would agree to leave only old schools weapons like enfield, winchest and a couple of machine guns, sounds funnier!

Going back to the main point, yeah i actually like the change! and the reason i would like to see big caliber snipers removed its because it would decrease the 1 shot chance of being killed by campers, i got nothing against campers, i mean i personally hate them but its part of the game, but giving them more tools to camp even harder... hmmmm doesnt sound funny! i mean you cant even get close to north west airfield! i NEVER EVER GO THERE! because i know there are campers everywhere with a M107 or AS50.

PS: CZ550 FOR THE WIN!! THAT SHOULD BE THE SNIPER! xD

Everyone wants to play as a sniper so that why they QQ about the L85. Now they can camp and no one will ever find them.

Oh well' date=' I guess that I will have to comfort myself with that if my L85 is indeed lost. I'm playing as a sniper, and I have so far been able to use the L85 to great effect when it comes to killing other snipers.

So you're saying that snipers cry about the removal of the L85 because they can't be spotted anymore by the L85 Thermal?

Not sure if stupid....

I believe he was talking about players complaining about the L85 itself, not the removal of it.

i admit, the l85 is my favorite weapon by far, but its by no means overpowered.

its lacking power and situational awareness with this thing is a mess, your FOV is very limited so you constantly have to turn.

its good for medium range or to make a spotter for snipers, but thats it really.

i hope they didn't remove it from the game, just wiped it from the inventories so the duped items are gone. then i shall find my gun again :D

if not, oh well, still more then enough guns to pick from.

I'm a little sad by the change. I usually solo play and having it has made me at least feel safe. I mostly use it to scout fields and treelines as that is what makes it OP. The gun itself is not all that strong however. After about 150m the gun loses a lot of power. No ironsites makes it somewhat tricky to use especially if the server has no crosshairs. I will just adjust and play with something else.

Btw I've only managed to kill 2 other players since I have played the game and had the L85. 1 was wide open in a field completely stopped and the other was within feet of me so the use of thermo had no impact during both of those kills.

Yeah, don't know what you guys are talking about saying the thermal distance was way to long. Not saying it's easy for people to go out and use thermal in real life but, for those of us that have used thermal, know that it is accurate. ARMA is based upon extreme realism, they wouldn't have put something in the game that isn't accurate.

Hell, youtube it. What do you think the police use in helicopters at night to spot criminals on the run? Don't see them going to court saying it's over powered, let me try to run again... haha.

I can see yes, and no of it being removed. Yes it's a zombie apocalypse, and it kind of defeats the purpose of being stealth and trying to hide. No, because, well...their is a ton of military bases, helicopter crash sites, and it's a military weapon.

I can see it going both ways. Instead of removing it, think I would have just made it even more rare than it was. So, not everyone could just get one, and balance it.

Oh well, I don't mind either way. I had one, and like most only used to to scout my path, and to hunt for animals.

So l85 was removed because it was unfair for snipers? what about the whole they aren't going to balance dayz? I say lets just remove all non civilian weaponry.

Yeah don't worry' date=' you fags will bitch again soon enough, and then trees will be nerfed because 'it's too hard waaaaah, people aren't allowed to hide from me! it's unbalanced! waaaaahhhh'....

ITT: biggest babies ever.

[/quote']

This thread really is ridiculous. Debating whether the L85 is OP or not, fine, I can deal with that... everyone is entitled to their opinion. But now we're bitching about how well people can hide in trees. Seriously? While his method of delivering his message wasn't stellar, Wulfear pretty much nailed it on the head.

Considering how much sneaking is involved in DayZ, I'd say something like thermal vision is a bit game breaking, especially considering how many people seem to have this incredibly "rare" weapon. That being said, it wouldn't bother me one way or another if it was/wasn't removed. A crucial part of the DayZ experience, IMHO, is adapting to the challenges you face and (hopefully) conquering them. The idea that this issue with the L85 has sparked the newest chain of "let's nerf everything we deem even remotely difficult" is rather irritating. The .50 caliber sniper rifles aren't even an issue to me, it doesn't take a .50 caliber rifle to OHK someone... keep'em, remove'em, whatever, I don't care.

Nerf trees!? Could this thread get any more inane? I don't even know where to begin... this complaint is essentially saying that the ability to hide yourself is OP. Let's just make the entire game a big flat area with only crowbars, remove the ability to go prone or crouch in case someone mistakes you for a rock at a glance, and replace the footstep sounds with cowbells so nobody can sneak up on anyone else.

mma_facepalm_gif.gif

The only thing incredible is your inability to read. Nobody said anything about nerfing trees. People can hide very well in there and it is a fact. I can show you at least 4 locations at NW airfield where the complete AS-50 will be hidden, the whole character while maintaining view on 6 of 8 hangars, comm tower, firestation and of course the barracks.

You won't see them sitting in there even if you stare a friggin minute through the bino on those trees, but once you take a step outside your little hiding place you will find a hole in your head.

And in those situations the L85 was the only thing that gave you a chance. Even if the sniper has one too, you still have a shot yourself.

Again snipers in those trees do not need to thermal you at any point. Of course they can but it does not make a huge difference. If you are close to the barracks, you will probably check them out and the only thing he has to do is not being seen. Easily doable, your loss.

Someone who says, that the l85 is an awesome detection tool obviously didn't even use it. The scope is pretty strong ( you can even further zoom in with it ), it has problems with windows.

Distances blur and there is a ton of other problems, yet still it was useful for counter sniping.

And again for the guy that I quoted with an inability to read: Nobody wants to nerf trees. The thing is the only tool to get inside one of the top christmas trees has been removed.

Not sure why I do have to put up with people, that obviously have no hotspot knowledge. I am on the NW airfield, Stary every single day for roughly half of my playtime with my sniper buddy in the search for a couple of fights against multiple opponents and we have yet to be defeated.

I die once every 2-3 days playing 10h + per day being the one that goes looting.So yes.... give me your scrubknowledge. When I tell you we cannot be defeated by people without L85 to begin with, attacking the NW airfield or stary in any fair way (meaning no serverhopping through all sniper locations, or 8+ people), then I mean it.

I lost my L85, I can suck it up. I will just switch to my AS-50 and join the ranks of sniping instead of enjoying the spotter role.

Now snipers can breathe a bit more, they will be more common, OHK will be even more common and then you guys come back and cry about snipers anyway. See you in 2-3 weeks, will come with lots of empty waterbottles to catch all your tears ;)

Rocket said he wants this game to be about emotions, about interaction, about how people survive, die, kill together. We are here to experiment with those things in the alpha, one of those experiments was a military grade sniper rifle.

Was it fun to kill people without them even knowing you were there? HELL YES. Was it fun for them to get killed that way? HELL NO. Do either of those things matter? NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT.

When you look at any item you need to ask yourself, "1.How does this promote interaction that generates emotion between players? 2.Is that emotion connected or disconnected? 3.Is that emotion biased or shared? 4.Does that emotion promote further emotion generating actions?"

With the rifle that was removed lets ask those questions:

1. Long range engagements will provoke a high tension experience for the sniper as a missed shot will alert the prey to his presence, thus adding a medium risk/high reward scenario. The prey is unaware of any emotion related to the threat until said threat has been revealed.

2.Any emotions are disconnected until such a time as the first shot is fired. Emotions will be connected through the duration of the engagement which will be short lived in most cases (death of the prey or escape).

3. The emotions are mostly biased to the sniper, as any emotion felt by the prey is very low until the sniper reveals himself. After such a time the emotions may equalize depending on the skill level of the prey and the sniper.

4. In most scenarios the prey will either be killed or escape the encounter without hunting for the sniper, thus ending any immediate emotional experiences. There is a small chance of further experiences if the prey should seek out the sniper, but this is not the majority of the cases.

Now ask yourself truthfully, does this item provide a wealth of potential emotional experiences or is it a stunted one way emotional channel that is biased to the holder?

I'm glad they removed the weapon. I hope in the future they remove the rest of the scoped/sniper/silenced weapons. They have no part in dayz.

L85 was like cheating... in this type of map where the trees are your covering, you were being able to spot other players with no effort at all, and in a brilliant white color. Again, initially i tought it was an hacked/modified/cheater weapon.

Yes the L85 was removed in the 1.7.2 patch I can confirm. Vipeax confirmed it was removed... Great to see that gun gone' date=' it had no place in this mod IMO...

[/quote']

The AS50, M107, or any silenced weapon doesn't really belong in the game either.

You guys want this game to be way too easy, I want this to be hardcore only hachets, knifes, and crowbars. Face it how many people have guns only people in the military and gang members. If you have proof of anyone that isn't associated with the above owning a gun please prove me wrong. ;)

Horrible change, there is little replay value associated with this game once you've "done it all". My best weeks have been since i got the l85 killing campers at various high traffic area's. I can say i made an impact on newbs play experience because i would kill snipers and give them the gear that i couldn't carry.

Very sad day for the vets of Day Z. I haven't even upgraded and doubt i will.

L85 was like cheating... in this type of map where the trees are your covering' date=' you were being able to spot other players with no effort at all, and in a brilliant white color. Again, initially i tought it was an hacked/modified/cheater weapon.

[/quote']

than gillie suits are than considered cheating because they make hiding a lot easier.

Yes the L85 was removed in the 1.7.2 patch I can confirm. Vipeax confirmed it was removed... Great to see that gun gone' date=' it had no place in this mod IMO...

[/quote']

The AS50, M107, or any silenced weapon doesn't really belong in the game either.

You guys want this game to be way too easy, I want this to be hardcore only hachets, knifes, and crowbars. Face it how many people have guns only people in the military and gang members. If you have proof of anyone that isn't associated with the above owning a gun please prove me wrong. ;)

3 of my close friends collect guns, and when i showed them the guns in the game they listed at least 10 guns between them that they owned. Are they the exception? maybe. But gun scarcity isn't as big as you think if you don't live in a major metropolitan area.

I dont think I know anyone that does not own a firearm. http://www.freeimagehosting.net/9ek5v this is one of mine.

I think its fair that they removed it. NVGs are dificult enough to obtain and that should be the highest tier visualy that seperate player groups and play times. The AS50 and M107 should stay in since you know exactly when to expect them. Nighttime is now more gimped to even the playing field. I like the balance.

Horrible change' date=' there is little replay value associated with this game once you've "done it all". My best weeks have been since i got the l85 killing campers at various high traffic area's. I can say i made an impact on newbs play experience because i would kill snipers and give them the gear that i couldn't carry.

Very sad day for the vets of Day Z. I haven't even upgraded and doubt i will.

[/quote']

This mod needs to be taken over by someone with actual talent. Actually a whole team of them.

I can already tell more stuff is going to get yanked. I predict either sniper rifles or NV will be next. Then ABSOLUTELY NOBODY will play at night. Almost nobody does now....BUT HEY! WE HAVE OUR LOFTY AND MIGHTY IDEALS IN TACT! This is all like some stupid joke. The road to nerfdom/boostdom will never end now. THANX BL1ZZ4RD! (for the wow generation....)

I basically just want a sandboxed version of Arma by this point. Throw out the weak fantasy garbage, add in a fucking shhhhitload more guns/vehicles/etc(basically everything), and just stand back and watch the magic.

[/quote']

3 of my close friends collect guns, and when i showed them the guns in the game they listed at least 10 guns between them that they owned. Are they the exception? maybe. But gun scarcity isn't as big as you think if you don't live in a major metropolitan area.

I was just being a douche. Removing all the guns any of the guns actually for more balance would make this game boring as hell. I personally love knowing someone could be watching me at all times with a sniper or thermal sight. Snipers are a ibg part of this game without them it'd be way to easy you could raid stary and most major cities without fear of being sniped, it might sound good to some people but my friends and I rarely die in close quarters except when we kill each other or are messing around it gets boring when everyone has a ak and they don't know how to aim with it.

Plus rifle scopes are so common in real life I doubt everyone would run around only using iron sights the guys who complain about people having 50 cals and rifles defiantly don't live in America hell you can buy rifles just as easily as alcohol. I know way more people with rifles and shotguns than pistols.

I really hope they keep and add more rifles long range combat is fun and challenging. Not to mention finding a military grad sniper on this game is really hard I usually find a akm or a military shotgun (which are good but boring) in the first 10 minutes of playing takes at least a day to find a sniper though the only sniper I really like is the M14 anyway.