rocket

Build 1.7.2 Rolling Update

If these rumours are true (I can't verify as I can't even log in) then I must agree that 1.7.2 is the worst update so far. Bear traps - seriously so so lame. Just another item waiting to be glitched and annoy people. Nobody uses tank traps/razor wire to deter people, only to piss them off. This is another one of them...

Removing Ghillies? Seriously, I worked hard to find my ghillies in order to better camoflage myself. I know they were buggy, but not much - I've used dozens and never experienced a problem. It's a risk people should be willing to take.

Smarter zombies is good, but according to the patch it sounds like zombies will now sense you when you get anywhere near them (although they can't hear through walls as much).

Reloading your hatchet was a nice quirk too - made you remember it's a mod and not a game. I kinda liked it, but no complaints there lol

Changelog:

1 * [FIXED] Corrupted update data causes people to spawn in debug forest (now will not save corrupted position data)

2 * [FIXED] Too easy to break legs due to infected (reduced probability of leg damage' date=' reduced amount of leg damage)

3 * [NEW'] Exponent driven probability introduced into visibility calculation

4 * [FIXED] Hatchet/Crowbar requires reloading ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/34903 )

#1 Most character creation attempts are failing, most likely due to #1. I've successfully logged onto a few servers, logged out of the server then logged back in and it again hangs at loading or character creation. Every server is like this and I have completely removed ARMA2 and OA, downloaded and reinstalled, using the beta patch which I updated yesterday. Most players cannot get past loading screen at all.

#2 This is working correctly as I have had many zombies attack me and much less leg breaking going on.

#3 As I predicted, the zombies are now completely unpredictable and I've seen several zombies pursue me from a far distance while prone and not moving (no sound, 1 visibility). If the purpose of this addition is to force hiding players to fight more zombies, you hit the mark as in cities or anywhere within maximum distance from any zombie, at any time they can instantly know where you are and make a beeline for you.

This further stacks the deck against new characters as they have no way to defend themselves, are still at risk of getting player killed, will have more trouble getting food and water as they need to enter buildings to do this. Characters who already have their surplus ammo and supplies can still survive while raiding cities.

Zombies *still* instantly spawn in the vicinity of a player once that player kills a zombie. I think if a player has killed the dozen or so zombies in the area that that area should remain zombie free at least until another one happens to wander in.

Zombies should not be able to run at 30km/h, and should be able to move faster in buildings.

#4 Not fixed. It still requires reloading. I tested this out by picking up my first item, a hatchet, could not swing until loaded.

Yes, i do consider my self a developer as i work for a pretty big network company developing their linux kernal for the units and also have a background in running a hosting company and developing software/websites.

I am just simply implying the methods he uses and how he rolls out these updates isn't the way i or many other people in this field would.

Oh and saying 'It works for him" is a bit over the top, is it REALLY working for him ? almost every update has caused more bugs then it has fixed.

If these rumours are true (I can't verify as I can't even log in) then I must agree that 1.7.2 is the worst update so far.

Again' date=' I hear (and share) the frustration. Believe me.

I want everything to be easy, but it's not. The updates will always be hard. It will get worse before it gets better.

But after [i']every main update, people come and say it is the worst update so far. If we rolled back, if we stopped expanding and pushing the limits -then this mod wouldn't even exist.

We have to keep going, it's going to be full of drama and difficulties and disaster. It will get much, much worse than this update.

But at the end, I think there will be a great game concept. And it take precisely this pain to get there. As I said there is a reason "standard" development hasn't produced this game.

• Like 6

SERVER ADMINS

A file called: @hive_0.4.1_contingency.rar

Is being distributed to you. This is a modification of a previous file' date=' to fix the loading issues. It also fixes some other issues. Any server running 1.7.2 should use this file, until further notice.

[/quote']

Anyway to know as a player if a server has updated to this file or not, besides of course the obvious being able to load? I was able to load, but other thing's seemed off earlier so just checking...Probably not, eh? Fun times! :P

If these rumours are true (I can't verify as I can't even log in) then I must agree that 1.7.2 is the worst update so far. Bear traps - seriously so so lame. Just another item waiting to be glitched and annoy people. Nobody uses tank traps/razor wire to deter people' date=' only to piss them off. This is another one of them...

Removing Ghillies? Seriously, I worked hard to find my ghillies in order to better camoflage myself. I know they were buggy, but not much - I've used dozens and never experienced a problem. It's a risk people should be willing to take.

Smarter zombies is good, but according to the patch it sounds like zombies will now sense you when you get anywhere near them (although they can't hear through walls as much).

Reloading your hatchet was a nice quirk too - made you remember it's a mod and not a game. I kinda liked it, but no complaints there lol

[/quote']

I don't think you read the thread fully...this update is GREAT, just buggy

If this is where we post problems with the update...

People can only join my server on restart. and when they rejoin they lose about 45 minutes from the last place they were at.

They are NOT able to disconnect and come back.

Keep up the great work rocket. As a fellow game designer, I feel your pain; you got this!

P.S. Will the updated contingency files be available where we normally download all the server files?

seening the devs have confirmed this patch has some issues on losing equipment' date=' will there be a roll back or compensation? dare i say "free return on what u lost"?

i prolly know the answers ill be getting but one can hope, right?

[/quote']

Compensation? Oh man thats a good one!

It really does amaze me that people get attached to gear in an alpha mod. A free alpha mod. Free.

Compensation? Oh man.....

I hear what you're saying' date=' but unlike CCP with Eve, or Blizzard with WoW - this project isn't based on a subscription model. In fact, this project isn't based on any money at all.

It's a bit shit, but the only way for the experiment to continue is with mistakes. I have to keep being bold. There is a reason the game everyone always thought of was never made, and this is it. Because nobody could deal with the fallout from the insufferable process of trial and error associated with pushing the boundaries to make it happen.

[/quote']

Thanks for helping me understand rocket! :)

I think zombies running INSIDE BUILDINGS is fair and realistic' date=' but running uphill where players can't? That isn't right...

[/quote']

do they still suicide when they run down a steep hill. that was the best part

Item reversals wont be made. Simple explenation is that some of the items removed are properly removed and will be kept removed. There were some bugs that was introduced but we'll issue a fix to that in a later patch.

We even discussed a full character DB wipe before 1.7.2 to start with a clean slate.

The issues in this patch has part been to support Arma X and also supporting your old characters.

Basicly switching from one serialnumber format while retaining the old. (simple explenation for a complicated issue)

Item reversals wont be made. Simple explenation is that some of the items removed are properly removed and will be kept removed. There were some bugs that was introduced but we'll issue a fix to that in a later patch.

We even discussed a full character DB wipe before 1.7.2 to start with a clean slate.

The issues in this patch has part been to support Arma X and also supporting your old characters.

Basicly switching from one serialnumber format while retaining the old. (simple explenation for a complicated issue)

Yea the only problem with this, is that NOBODY was told about it. At least make it so we know that our stuff will be gone or some of our items will disappear. Otherwise it makes it look like you don't cae about the player base at all.

Should have done it, DB seems pretty messi to me!

And again, thanks for the good AND UNPAID WORK!

I'd be all for this for major updates.

Anyways - great to see 1.7.2 out in the wild, thanks to everyone who was involved.

great, my first character that lives, being a silent warrior that helps players instead of killing them and now DB wipe ;(

I too lost the weapon I had in my backpack(FN FAL NV). Not a big deal, but I'd like to know which weapons were removed from the game and not just glitched out. L85's the only one?

ALL the weapons out of the game are glitches because I cut too deep with the classname removals.

This will be fixed for future hotfix in the week.

Yeah can we get some sort of list or something explaining what was actually removed from the game?

arma2oa%202012-07-10%2002-43-35.png

wtf is this? i had a weapon in my bag now its saying i have 9 slots left of 24. but i only have 14 items in my bag? and no i have ntohign under it either http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13092928/arma2oa%202012-07-10%2002-43-40.png

and my handgun is gone? i had an m9sd' date=' anyone els had this?

[/quote']

you lucked out dude... i had an L85 and an m107 in my pack. My L85 was gone, and so was my entire backpack.