I'm looking forward to the feature. I am wary of how many dogs there will be, though - every guy getting a dog might be quite a bit of overkill.

I'll be especially looking forward to Zombie dogs, though.

God help the person that kills my dog...

God help you... My dog dies at your hand? I will not think of anything else other than wringing your neck and leaving you for zombie bait. Sex? Hah! Breathing?! Please... all of these urges and thoughts pale in comparison to my desire to murder you and all things you hold dear.

Like Rocket said: an experiment

I am deeply looking forward to this feature, if only for the many branching gameplay opportunities it presents.

If I had to guess, I would imagine dogs being slightly more abundant than fixable Hueys.

guess we'll see.

Dogs huh.....well thats just.....uh.....what?

I mean yeah it is good to experiment and all....but dog companions? Why not something that will actually add something to the game....like repairable/damageable working power-grids, better zombie movement and behavior, a way to know a players name only when you are close/they greet you..

Dogs.......Im gonna go with 'no thanks' on this one.

I think I will hold off on bitching about Rockets horrible implementation of dogs, until he has implemented them.

I am not sure I get the vitriol. This is a game where your stuff is more valuable than you. I figure that if someone sees you and your dog skulking through the trees, they are going to shoot the dog... just because they dont have one. I can only imagine the nightmare of belly crawling through the yard in a town, to avoid notice, and your dog is running around upright.

Complaining about an issue, that has yet to be an issue... that is trolling. Like the man said, lets try some things. If he doesnt like it, whats it matter? He could throw it all away before it even saw an alpha release.

Trav

Their AI will probably be horrible. I hope I'm wrong though, because the idea sounds awesome!

Playing as the dog in the Chernarus Apocalypse part 2 mission is fun as hell.

Sooooooooooooooooo fast and you can bite zombies. Not very fun to play this mission without friends though. Dogs can't drive cars very well.

It sounds like it could be to much micro-management.

Assuming it follows you and you use the scroll-wheel to issue commands, I can see tracking being a good idea...kinda like being in a field, issuing tracking and the dog sniffs around and gives an indication that within 20 minutes someone headed in the direction that the dog points in.

Finding food and drink...how would it get passed zombies? Would it agro zombies at all when its off finding stuff or when your sneeking through somewhere? Could it give you away by barking?

With the few functions the dog might give to a player, finding some kind of gear for the dog for carrying extra items would make it very useful. Maybe the dog could drag you if you pass out or distract zombies from eating you and prehaps dieing in the process.

I can see why some people hate the idea, but try thinking how you would want to see it and then give suggestions. I think it could work, but it would require some serious work and time on Rockets part and a fine balance between the reasons why and usefullness.

Honsou.

well I see It as an a Emotional connection between the dog and you kind of thing...

Maybe you have to feed the dog or else the dog would die?

Maybe you accidentally alert the horde and you run and then the dog die's right behind you...

Really sad <:'''(

It sounds like it could be to much micro-management.

Assuming it follows you and you use the scroll-wheel to issue commands' date=' I can see tracking being a good idea...kinda like being in a field, issuing tracking and the dog sniffs around and gives an indication that within 20 minutes someone headed in the direction that the dog points in.

Finding food and drink...how would it get passed zombies? Would it agro zombies at all when its off finding stuff or when your sneeking through somewhere? Could it give you away by barking?

With the few functions the dog might give to a player, finding some kind of gear for the dog for carrying extra items would make it very useful. Maybe the dog could drag you if you pass out or distract zombies from eating you and prehaps dieing in the process.

I can see why some people hate the idea, but try thinking how you would want to see it and then give suggestions. I think it could work, but it would require some serious work and time on Rockets part and a fine balance between the reasons why and usefullness.

Honsou.

[/quote']

I would think there would be some sort of "Dawn of the Dead"-esque thing where the zombies still hate you but don't give two squirts of piss about the dog. I would rather that than see two crappily-scripted AI fight each other.

Im all for experimentation but really; dogs? I mean, there is so much to improve and introduce in the game that is far more important in my opinion. Things such as;

Better zombie behavior

Crafting

Building

More open buildings

Economy, Trading

Skins

Bandit/survivor reputation/humanity system fixes.

Unshared map text and translated city names

Traps

More weapons

More vehicules

More items

Loot balance, new starter loot, possibility to choose your starting kit

Stability improvement

All around fixes

Optimisation

Exe file/auto updater for easier installation

etc etc etc...

Or even, dare I say, an entirely new map.

That being said; Im really not a fan of AI allies because they really suck most of the time. But if said dog can track other survivors, well its very cool and all, but is it that necessary compared to all the cool things we could have.

Anyway, we shall see... maybe it will be awesome even if I doubt I use that feature.

Are you all complaining about stuff that isn't even implemented yet? Really?

DayZ is all about trying something different. That's why this mod is so awesome and it should not be in your interest to prevent Rocket in trying something new.

The developer said himself that hes gonna be very careful with the dogs and only add it if he feels that it works well in the game.

But how will the dogs work? I know if it die you can't get it back.

But what if the server crash, which happens like all the time. Will the dog then get removed?

I do not understand the negative view on this dogZ question.

I do understand that a many of you are new to the possibilitiess that the ArmA engine (for want of a better term) is capable of.

Believe me when I say that a bad dog or a good dog will bring a whole new element into the game-play.

Now, I have no idea of what is in the works but from a personal mission making experience I promise you that if you have a friend (mans best) next to you while you are camping in the woods sitting around a fire eating beanZ with a buddy and your stuff hidden away in the tent and Blitzy starts growling, you are going to panic, you are going to shyte yourself where it hurts.

If on the other hand ze Zombie Wolfs attack, you are going to panic, you are going to shyte yourself where it hurts...

I know, I've been there.

I will be waiting in the shadows.

Carry on.

Stuff

I've got no opposition to dogs being in game, but right now daedrick is correct. There's a ton of much less sexy stuff that needs fixing and balancing before you start getting into feature creep.

Rocket is testing dogs. Might as well help him by giving thoughts and suggestions rather then trying to tell him why he shouldnt do it.

Not really interested in dogs, unless they're zombie dogs. Domesticated dogs, maybe, but they shouldn't be able to actively "belong" to a player, but rather follow them around if they're encountered on a server, stay only in that server(aka not spawn with you when you leave and go somewhere else), follow someone else if they pass by the dog after you disconnect, and never attack a human, unless they're attacked first. Or heck, maybe the dog should only follow lone survivors, since a group can handle itself a lot better than a group plus a dog getting in the way.

Would much rather have zombie dogs, anyway. :P

You don't like dags? :'(

Yea...I like dags...but I like caravans better...

He's a dag,,,lol

I'm a Brit, one of my mates was a shearer in Ausie, I couldn't believe it when he told me about dagging...

Sweetbreads ftw.

And I get to drink their delicious tears when their dog gets shot.

You're starting to worry me Rocket :P

I like the idea of having a dog (being a dog owner may play a part in this). It gets lonely out in them woods, a companion to make a bond with plays into the psychology of the game well I think.

Also not forgetting the realistic element - people have dogs, fact. It's not like it's a robot or a summoned demon familiar.

Could a dog be used for hunting small animals maybe? or tracking, if you cross an area that has recently been walked on by another human, the dog could signal and lead you? then you'd have a choice to follow someone, or even use it to set a trap for someone you think has a dog and is following you?