shawnbayer75

Seattle 35 Removed

Today it was noticed that the server Seattle 35 hosted by Toxic Gaming group was being run without battleye enabled. We have a strict policy against this and as such we asked HFB Servers to suspend this server rather than blacklisting the IP address.

We will not tolerate anyone trying to run a server that is not BattlEye Enabled.

• Like 2

Glad to hear, I do not want to be on a server that does not run BattlEye.

It's encouraging to see posts regarding the enforcement of server rules by members of the DayZ staff, but what about the hacking being done on the servers that are BattlEye enabled? Last night Seattle 117 was mass-killed, for example. Are there any members of the DayZ team who are doing anything about that?

I guess we know who not to rent from if theyre going to just cancel your PAID for service.

Same guy who made this site runs that server group.

It's encouraging to see posts regarding the enforcement of server rules by members of the DayZ staff' date=' but what about the hacking being done on the servers that are BattlEye enabled? Last night Seattle 117 was mass-killed, for example. Are there any members of the DayZ team who are doing anything about that?

[/quote']

But of course. Members of the day z free mod team are also lead programmers of battleye. They have the full capacity to remove such hacks.

I guess we know who not to rent from if theyre going to just cancel your PAID for service.

Oh really? Fuck that.

If someone pays for a service, and you suspend it for something like this....you're messing with peoples' money. I would expect a full refund and if I didn't get it...there would be legalities.

Oh really? Fuck that.

If someone pays for a service' date=' and you suspend it for something like this....you're messing with peoples' money. I would expect a full refund and if I didn't get it...there would be legalities.

[/quote']

im honestly suprised there arent already.

All of these problems revolve around them hoarding the main database. I dont know of anyone who really gives a shit about the main leaderboards or anything like it. Why try to force servers to do exactly like the devs say?

It will ultimately depend on what the hosting agreement says. If the hosting agreements specifically state that the hoster must maintain permission to host a DayZ server and that loss of this permission will result in termination of the agreement without a refund, then the person who rented the server is pretty much SOL.

If the hosting agreement does not specifically point out that requirement, the action of not returning the money for the remainder of the hosting period would at least be considered either theft, larceny, or grand larceny (depending on amount in question) by most municipalities and could be considered fraud.

The provider would not be required to refund the portion of the money which was allocated to the hosting costs up until that point though.

Oh really? Fuck that.

If someone pays for a service' date=' and you suspend it for something like this....you're messing with peoples' money. I would expect a full refund and if I didn't get it...there would be legalities.

[/quote']

im honestly suprised there arent already.

All of these problems revolve around them hoarding the main database. I dont know of anyone who really gives a shit about the main leaderboards or anything like it. Why try to force servers to do exactly like the devs say?

That's what really bothers me sometimes.

The team seems to think they can tell everyone what to do with their own servers. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but it is so fucked up that they can tell a server host to suspend someone that has PAID for that server.

I would demand my money back if they do it, and if they didn't...I would take them to court. I didn't sign any contract when I decided to host DayZ, I just agreed to a few rules. So they didn't run battleye...I understand that's a rule. You can't tell the server host "Hey, shut off their server since they didn't follow our rules." Bullshit.

heres their own dayz agreement.

Before purchasing a server with us, please be sure that you have read and agree to the following conditions, these are set by the DayZ development team, not by ourselves:

Servers may not be pass worded or locked.

No other mods will be allowed to be run in conjunction with DayZ.

Editing of DayZ core files, or mission files is forbidden.

Kicking to make room for “friends” or clan mates is also not allowed.

The minimum slot count is 40.

There are only two reasons why a person should be banned on the server: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a person for stealing your loot / killing you / spying on you etc.

The same applies for kicking.

Kicking for extremely excessive ping or desync is permitted.

Failure to adhere to these rules will result in your account being cancelled without refund.

• Like 5

It will ultimately depend on what the hosting agreement says. If the hosting agreements specifically states that the hoster must maintain permission to host a DayZ server and that loss of this permission will result in termination of the agreement without a refund' date=' then the person who rented the server is pretty much SOL.

If the hosting agreement does not specifically point out that requirement, the action of not returning the money for the remainder of the hosting period would at least be considered either theft, larceny, or grand larceny (depending on amount in question) by most municipalities and could be considered fraud.

The provider would not be required to refund the portion of the money which was allocated to the hosting costs up until that point though.

[/quote']

Agreed. And I very much doubt that the server host had any specific hosting agreement listed regarding DayZ.

In any case, if HFB cuts him off...I'm glad I'm with NFO.

heres their own dayz agreement.

Before purchasing a server with us' date=' please be sure that you have read and agree to the following conditions, these are set by the DayZ development team, not by ourselves:

There are only two reasons why a person should be banned on the server: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a person for stealing your loot / killing you / spying on you etc.

Failure to adhere to these rules will result in your account being cancelled without refund.[/quote']

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Well, it's their fault then for signing up with HFB.

That settles that.

• Like 1

I have a question.

How can you have someone's server suspended when you don't pay for it?

We had 2 options, we could of blacklisted the IP and that would of removed the server from accessing the Hive, but also any other servers that were running on that IP. I chose to go to HFB Servers and explain the situation. Now if HFB Servers want to allow this customer to continue hosting their server with battleye enabled I have no problem with that but every server needs to follow our guidelines.

• Like 1

I have a question.

How can you have someone's server suspended when you don't pay for it?

We had 2 options' date=' we could of blacklisted the IP and that would of removed the server from accessing the Hive, but also any other servers that were running on that IP. I chose to go to HFB Servers and explain the situation. Now if HFB Servers want to allow this customer to continue hosting their server with battleye enabled I have no problem with that but every server needs to follow our guidelines.

[/quote']

I understand. And I now know the special rules that someone agrees to when they host with HFB.

I just know that if that were to happen to me, on my hosting site...I'd be pissed. But, BE running IS one of the rules.

Like I said, not trying to pick a fight.

• Like 1

Here's the thing: this game is kind of like World of Warcraft. Instead of one large server with 1000s of people playing, you have many small servers with only 50 people each. If you are able to hack items in on a non-BattleEye server, you can then go take those items onto servers which are running BattleEye, and you won't get banned because you aren't running a script that BattleEye is aware of. As far as BattleEye knows, you just found those items laying around.

The devs are trying to put everyone on an even playing field, which is how it should be. I don't want someone playing on my server if they hacked in the best sniper rifle on another server and then joined mine for mass murder, for instance. Because then they won't really care about losing it too much, and killing them wouldn't set them back at all. Obviously you can't stop all the hackers all the time, but BattleEye is there for a reason.

• Like 3

OK, so based on the actual TOS provided from the site, HFB would have to refund money unless they went on a witch hunt and found (and could prove in court) that the Renter had broken one of the following rules:

Although, attempting to discontinue service for any of the following would likely still allow for legal action as the wording used in the agreement is very poor or lacking in detail:

Legally, the agreement would likely require a specification of the actual allowed Mod names, especially since to run DayZ you must have @DayZ and @Hive and the language here would make it against the rules to have the @Hive file. They would probably also make you specify what files you are not allowed to modify.

The following agreement language has multiple contradictions and would not hold up under legal scrutiny:

If you are hosting with HFB, you would not be allowed to use the FloodControl feature of BEC due to the following TOS:

Finally, there is no statement included in this TOS that says BattlEye must be enabled.

Here's the thing: this game is kind of like World of Warcraft. Instead of one large server with 1000s of people playing' date=' you have many small servers with only 50 people each. If you are able to hack items in on a non-BattleEye server, you can then go take those items onto servers which are running BattleEye, and you won't get banned because you aren't running a script that BattleEye is aware of. As far as BattleEye knows, you just found those items laying around.

The devs are trying to put everyone on an even playing field, which is how it should be. I don't want someone playing on my server if they hacked in the best sniper rifle on another server and then joined mine for mass murder, for instance. Because then they won't really care about losing it too much, and killing them wouldn't set them back at all. Obviously you can't stop all the hackers all the time, but BattleEye is there for a reason.

[/quote']

I don't disagree with their decision to remove the server. The method of doing so is what I question. Ultimately, they can ask HFB to do this, and if his TOS covers it, they are all good. Given the language used in the TOS, HFB is asking for a lawsuit if they do not refund the money paid for the remaining period of the hosting agreement.

Awww. The junior lawyer thinks he knows what he's talking about. That's cute.

• Like 3

HFB openly state's that locking pass wording or breaking dayz TOS for hosting will result in server being shut down without refund. I am a hfb customer and I will continue to be. Break the rule's lose your server easy as that.

• Like 2

Armchair lawyers attack!

I'm sure HFB is shaking in their boots.

• Like 1

Awww. The junior lawyer thinks he knows what he's talking about. That's cute.

I do know what I'm talking about but, you are correct that I am not a lawyer. I have never taken and passed the Bar Exam.

Since you feel the need to challenge what I've stated, I'd like to see you refute it.

There is always just so much negative energy gathered up in all of these announcement threads, man...

In my opinion, I feel really afraid that someone would take the loss of their server to court or something. They may not have a case, but the legal expenses and the court itself would be a hassle for the development team. There's nothing worse than spending a week with a dipstick plaintiff who thinks he'll win a computer battle without a computer.

I think that it should be looked at more like a "donation with incentive" or something, rather than viewed as you buy/rent the servers. It's just too confusing and someone who just lost their server may even try to sue for piss stains in their pants.