shawnbayer75

Seattle 35 Removed

Nope. Not at all. If you break DayZ's rules you shouldn't be allowed to host.

What I AM saying is' date=' why would you pay money to host with someone that can be dictated to by a MOD's dev team?

I think it's silly that someone would sign a contract with a company like that...that's all.

[/quote']

Thanks for clarifying.

However I think its also important to remember that all of these DayZ resellers are in effect just like you. they bought boxes and host dayz on them. they setup dayz on the box, get the instance ID, get all the server files, and use their copy of Arma 2 to install everything. then they give acess to that VPS or physical box to the customer thats renting from them. Ultimately the server is still the hosters responsibility because its listed under their name, as well as using their arma 2 CD key. They have to watch out for themselves just as much as for their customers. While I don't think their terms are very well written out, I think its perfectly acceptable for them to want to cover their own asses from being potentially banned from hosting DayZ as an entity.

I really do think that you and I agree on the base level, but disagree on the end result.

EaGLe beat me to it but yeah' date=' they're shut down for not running battleye...and it clearly states "Battleye is a requirement" meaning you disable it, you get shutdown. Plain and simple. Now everyone shut up about this mythical dev team abuse BS and learn to read.

[/quote']

This was entirely uninformed. So helpful to say something exists when it doesn't exist where it really matters.

"My neighbor has permission to paint his house and has the same landlord as I do. I can paint my house too!!!"

Not how it works. Check with your landlord.

Here in California, they CAN tell you what color to paint your house... and make you water your lawn. On YOUR house...

EaGLe beat me to it but yeah' date=' they're shut down for not running battleye...and it clearly states "Battleye is a requirement" meaning you disable it, you get shutdown. Plain and simple. Now everyone shut up about this mythical dev team abuse BS and learn to read.

[/quote']

This was entirely uninformed. So helpful to say something exists when it doesn't exist where it really matters.

"My neighbor has permission to paint his house and has the same landlord as I do. I can paint my house too!!!"

Not how it works. Check with your landlord.

Here in California, they CAN tell you what color to paint your house... and make you water your lawn. On YOUR house...

One of the reasons I hate the concept of an HOA. You should take some time and read all of the strange things an HOA can make you do and charge you to be a member the whole time! HOA's are so complicated their are legal firms/teams that specialize in handling just HOA cases.

I don't understand why anybody would rent a server for this game. You are so restricted in what you can do as a server administrator, and so vehemently kept in check by the players, that you have almost no power yourself. It is a waste of money. I am thankful that there are so many fools willing to waste their money for me and others to be able to play this game.

Awww. The junior lawyer thinks he knows what he's talking about. That's cute.

I agree that having it off is bad. With that said, I did not see where it said it had to be on in those condition

Good lord at the armchair lawyering all up in this thread.

Good Lord at the fanboy bullshit going on in this thread.

You guys have your noses so far up the dev teams' asses I can't tell where they end and you begin.

Hardly a fanboy of the devteam. Just don't see the point in arguing over legalities of a vague situation.

But by all means, continue crying about the assumed, legal or otherwise, wrongdoings ITT.

I don't understand why anybody would rent a server for this game. You are so restricted in what you can do as a server administrator' date=' and so vehemently kept in check by the players, that you have almost no power yourself. It is a waste of money. I am thankful that there are so many fools willing to waste their money for me and others to be able to play this game.

[/quote']

because the only reason to be a server admin is to be super powerful right?

I don't understand why anybody would rent a server for this game. You are so restricted in what you can do as a server administrator' date=' and so vehemently kept in check by the players, that you have almost no power yourself. It is a waste of money. I am thankful that there are so many fools willing to waste their money for me and others to be able to play this game.

[/quote']

Maybe those 'fools' just want to play the game and actually want to support the MOD?

Nope. Not at all. If you break DayZ's rules you shouldn't be allowed to host.

What I AM saying is' date=' why would you pay money to host with someone that can be dictated to by a MOD's dev team?

I think it's silly that someone would sign a contract with a company like that...that's all.

[/quote']

Thanks for clarifying.

However I think its also important to remember that all of these DayZ resellers are in effect just like you. they bought boxes and host dayz on them. they setup dayz on the box, get the instance ID, get all the server files, and use their copy of Arma 2 to install everything. then they give acess to that VPS or physical box to the customer thats renting from them. Ultimately the server is still the hosters responsibility because its listed under their name, as well as using their arma 2 CD key. They have to watch out for themselves just as much as for their customers. While I don't think their terms are very well written out, I think its perfectly acceptable for them to want to cover their own asses from being potentially banned from hosting DayZ as an entity.

I really do think that you and I agree on the base level, but disagree on the end result.

Not necessarily.

NFO servers wouldn't cut me off from my/Knightcat's box because a DayZ dev told them to. Never happen in a million years.

Why? We're paying them 180 a month....DayZ devs are not.

[/quote']

What a bunch of crap. No one forces anyone to rent a server. If some people rent a server is because they want it. You are not a "fool" for spending your money the way you like it because value is subjective. There is no such thing as a "right" way to spend money. Grow up

But stuff like this is ok?

Saying Bettleye: 0 seems a bit provocative.

And oh look, passworded, with three wimpy clan members doing... hmmm, I wonder what?

But stuff like this is ok?

Well it's not affiliated with DayZ I assume from the heading.

It's a private hive...which is okay. Know why? This is a MOD...not a licensed game.

It is a MOD for Arma 2. Let's not forget that.

I think its perfectly acceptable for them to want to cover their own asses from being potentially banned from hosting DayZ as an entity.

I really do think that you and I agree on the base level' date=' but disagree on the end result.

[/quote']

When you collect money from someone in exchange for providing a service, the CYA has to start in your legal documentation. You can't just make a CYA decision that isn't supported by the TOS. It's those types of decisions that make room for the lawsuit.

It's always best to be fully prepared for a contingency like this within your TOS/Contract. Unfortunately, the cost of an attorney to review a document such as this is so astronomical that many small businesses/startups suffer these same pains.

Disgraced took the words right out of my mouth. In keeping with the analogy lets say You are the renter, HFB is the Landlord and Day Z is the City/Homeowners assosiation and you decided to turn off your sprinklers or let your lawn get overgrown. The city/HA gets word about it and tells the landlord ether get it fixed or we'll fine you, the landlord decides that you've violated your agreement and terminates it (Yes a bit extreme for the whole lawn analogy, could just picture it as you selling drugs or something).

What I don't fully understand is that there are so many servers out there, why are people making it their mission in life to report every little thing. If you do not lime how a server is run, move on to another, there are entry to choose from.

Disgraced took the words right out of my mouth.

I need to was now I think.

Ok, so that page or so of passworded servers are just acceptable unconnected to the hive servers.

As long as those guys can't take what they get there and move it into the hive servers, I would have to retract my name calling. Dammit.

What I don't fully understand is that there are so many servers out there' date=' why are people making it their mission in life to report every little thing. If you do not lime how a server is run, move on to another, there are entry to choose from.

[/quote']

you know there is something called hive right?

Disgraced took the words right out of my mouth. In keeping with the analogy lets say You are the renter' date=' HFB is the Landlord and Day Z is the City/Homeowners assosiation and you decided to turn off your sprinklers or let your lawn get overgrown. The city/HA gets word about it and tells the landlord ether get it fixed or we'll fine you, the landlord decides that you've violated your agreement and terminates it (Yes a bit extreme for the whole lawn analogy, could just picture it as you selling drugs or something).

[/quote']

Again, it's not a question. HFB is affiliated with DayZ in an unusual way.

If I turned off BE on my servers, and DayZ went to my server provider and said "They broke rules on our MOD...terminate their hosting agreement" they would get laughed at.

Obviously HFB works with the DEV team, and that's why they pay attention to specific DayZ rules.

That's fine. But I do like how they just added the BE line this morning when they got called out on it.

No skin off my ass in the long run....but I think you're fools for hosting with HFB.

Disgraced took the words right out of my mouth. In keeping with the analogy lets say You are the renter' date=' HFB is the Landlord and Day Z is the City/Homeowners assosiation and you decided to turn off your sprinklers or let your lawn get overgrown. The city/HA gets word about it and tells the landlord ether get it fixed or we'll fine you, the landlord decides that you've violated your agreement and terminates it (Yes a bit extreme for the whole lawn analogy, could just picture it as you selling drugs or something).

[/quote']

The Landlord would have to be able to prove that you violated the agreement. If it doesn't state that you are required to maintain the yard, you haven't violated the agreement.

The selling of drugs is also not inherently included in a lease agreement as a severable offense. The landlord would actually have to have a clause about illegal activity and if the clause states that no illegal activity can take place in the property, he'd have to prove that you were actually doing something illegal in his rental property rather than from your car which is parked on the public thoroughfare.

(Had a co-worker who leased houses on the side and this is straight from the court ruling that he received)

I didn't read through the thread but I imagine something along these lines have already been said but in case they haven't...

It would ultimately come down to the contractual agreement.

In other words, we have no idea and can only speculate as we do not have the contract in front of us to read.

I would think that if a law were broken something would have happened by now or is happening so.... they probably broke the agreement somehow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but many of you "server admins" who are up in arms about this knew what you were getting into when you signed up. They are selective on who can host and who cannot. Not any old joe can start a server up, and because of the unique interaction with the hive this game requires a strict set of rules for hosting.

If you are angry about this, maybe you shouldn't of started up a server in the first place.

Correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but many of you "server admins" who are up in arms about this knew what you were getting into when you signed up. They are selective on who can host and who cannot. Not any old joe can start a server up, and because of the unique interaction with the hive this game requires a strict set of rules for hosting.

If you are angry about this, maybe you shouldn't of started up a server in the first place.

[/quote']

No one is angry about anything.

We're simply pointing fallacies.

It ultimately doesn't matter to me. They shut off BE...fuck em.

I just found it fucked up that a Dev can tell a server hoster to cut off someone that paid them money.

But, now I see HFB works with DayZ Devs closely.

Again, have them try that with another hoster...they would get laughed at.

*Shrug* Whatevs.

Correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but many of you "server admins" who are up in arms about this knew what you were getting into when you signed up. They are selective on who can host and who cannot. Not any old joe can start a server up, and because of the unique interaction with the hive this game requires a strict set of rules for hosting.

[/quote']

Actually they aren't selective, any idiot can host now-a-days.

[/quote']

Actually they aren't selective, any idiot can host now-a-days.

Ah well, maybe if they were more selective people wouldn't be "pointing out fallacies" about something they agreed to when signing up.

What I don't fully understand is that there are so many servers out there' date=' why are people making it their mission in life to report every little thing. If you do not lime how a server is run, move on to another, there are entry to choose from.

[/quote']

you know there is something called hive right?

I guess I should elaborate. I am focusing more on server administration. Specifically server admins that want to be able to make room for clan mates or friends. Admins that want to lock down the server for an afternoon or evening for a clan event, or just a "friends" event.

Now I know the rules, and will follow them, I just think that someone that reports an.admin/server because they did one of the above is a little ridiculous, just my humble opinio