KA-74USER

cant drop jammed weapons

i hear somebody sneaking up on me. but i already started clearing a weapon jam. i know it would be faster to switch to my pistol but im stuck in the animation. i don't think its realistic, in real life i would have thrown the gun away and switched to my pistol if i heard somebody coming up a ladder at me 

what a stupid way to die

• Thanks 1

Al I can say is “weapon maintenance” and “careful bullet selection”. Every time you fire at someone expect the unexpected. Some folk just won’t die and some are lucky SOB’s.

• Sad 1

So, your weapon was jammed earlier and you didn’t address the issue, even though you had time. 

So yes, not being careful and not being proactive with preventative maintenance leads to stupid deaths. 

We don’t really need to change the mechanics. All of the same arguments for inertia apply here. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

So, your weapon was jammed earlier and you didn’t address the issue, even though you had time. 

So yes, not being careful and not being proactive with preventative maintenance leads to stupid deaths. 

We don’t really need to change the mechanics. All of the same arguments for inertia apply here. 

How is not being able to drop a jammed gun in an emergency realistic or even logical at all ? Doesn't matter what reason made him try to deal with that jam at that point, dropping it should still be an option. It's like saying that eating animation should not be possible to stop if someone attacks you. 

22 hours ago, KA-74USER said:

i hear somebody sneaking up on me. but i already started clearing a weapon jam. i know it would be faster to switch to my pistol but im stuck in the animation. i don't think its realistic, in real life i would have thrown the gun away and switched to my pistol if i heard somebody coming up a ladder at me 

what a stupid way to die

Try raising a ticket here https://feedback.bistudio.com

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, General Zod said:

How is not being able to drop a jammed gun in an emergency realistic or even logical at all ? Doesn't matter what reason made him try to deal with that jam at that point, dropping it should still be an option. It's like saying that eating animation should not be possible to stop if someone attacks you. 

Try raising a ticket here https://feedback.bistudio.com

It should not automatically be an option. 

It’s because this game was never intended to be realistic. It’s completely logical in the realm of the authentic. 

This isn’t reality. It’s a video game. It should be obvious that Dayz doesn’t aim for being realistic. It has zombies. You respawn.   People shoot other people without penalty. You can’t shit, piss, or smell.  Bohemia Interactive has NEVER claimed that this game was to be realistic. 

This guy decided to not un-jam his weapon immediately. Or he was already actively engaged in PVP, which moots his point. His death was 100% avoidable, but he chose his actions carelessly. 

Additionally, some actions are interruptible.  

It’s up to the survivor to understand and learn about how the game works.  There is no doubt that other players know about this “issue” but plan ahead so that they don’t die due to poor firearm management. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Parazight said:

It should not automatically be an option. 

It’s because this game was never intended to be realistic. It’s completely logical in the realm of the authentic. 

This isn’t reality. It’s a video game. It should be obvious that Dayz doesn’t aim for being realistic. It has zombies. You respawn.   People shoot other people without penalty. You can’t shit, piss, or smell.  Bohemia Interactive has NEVER claimed that this game was to be realistic. 

This guy decided to not un-jam his weapon immediately. Or he was already actively engaged in PVP, which moots his point. His death was 100% avoidable, but he chose his actions carelessly. 

Additionally, some actions are interruptible.  

It’s up to the survivor to understand and learn about how the game works.  There is no doubt that other players know about this “issue” but plan ahead so that they don’t die due to poor firearm management. 

I disagree, there is no good reason why I shouldn't be able to stop that action. Just because he picked a wrong moment to do it doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to just drop it. 

And yes DayZ does try to be somewhat realistic, we have stamina that reduces from the weight of the items we carry or even wet clothes, we have diseases, the food rots and water can have cholera, health regen is relatively slow. I don't see how respawn and zombies are a case against realism. Almost every game has a respawn and zombies are there because at the end of the day we play games to experience something we cannot or would not want to in real life, that doesn't mean the mechanics cannot be realistic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok then. You don’t understand the difference between authentic and realistic. 

There’s a good reason you can’t stop the action. It’s because it was decided, one way or another, that it shouldn’t be in the game. 

It’s obvious that it’s not a priority because here we are, years into release and it’s not there.  Probably even a conscious decision during countless waves of balancing that have been happening for quite some time. 

• Sad 1

I agree, there are animations you should be able to cancel in the event of an emergency. I dont believe it is an intentional decision on the devs part to force the completion of the animation, or at least not for the purpose of game balance. IMO, correcting weapon malfunctions as a whole needs some work. I've experienced weapon jams IRL and the more I've encountered them, the better I became at handling them, which is not the case in game. Every time your character is met with a weapon jam, they act like it's a novel experience. It would be a nice feature if after the second or third time, your character cleared the jam faster, like a learned skill. Each weapon type (bolt action, AR/AK, SMG, shotguns, and handguns) could have their own independent leveling. This learning/skills feature could be generalized to other facets of the game to give new importance to surviving as a character since they would be lost upon death, emphasizing self preservation and smart gameplay. Other examples would be skinning animals (less meat the first few times, emulating bad cuts and waste), repairing damaged clothing (uses less of your sewing kit as you get better), building structures (requires less nails as you get better), and cleaning weapons. 

Edited by Misnomera
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 6:16 PM, Parazight said:

Ok then. You don’t understand the difference between authentic and realistic. 

There’s a good reason you can’t stop the action. It’s because it was decided, one way or another, that it shouldn’t be in the game. 

It’s obvious that it’s not a priority because here we are, years into release and it’s not there.  Probably even a conscious decision during countless waves of balancing that have been happening for quite some time. 

The release was a joke, this game still has so many broken things 5 years after the official release and 10 after the begging of the early access it's laughable. Game developer studios have no shame anymore releasing half working games before they are ready just to jump onto another half assed product. 

Was it decided or is it another oversight by the devs ? 

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 7:16 PM, Parazight said:

My man, it's not like every single bug in this game was decided to be like that. They developed a feature and just overlooked some things. This one is basically the result of the shitty action system dayz has that doesn't allow you to move inventory items when you're being fed or when someone is measuring your pulse for example. What's most likely is that when they implemented the jamming/unjamming features they just didn't think to make it a continuous action like eating.

Not being able to stop an animation like this is neither realistic nor authentic.

• Like 1

The game was released so long ago, I agree.  And it is still this way!!!  We are obligated to assume, at this point, that it is intentional. Surely, because it has been so long, that this balancing question has already arisen and has been addressed.  There’s no way this could be an oversight. I’m not willing to accept lame excuses like “they haven’t gotten to it yet” or some other similar response. Maybe three years ago, after official launch, but don’t you think we’re way beyond that at this point?

And if I were to accept your reasoning anyway, I could easily argue that this player should have known this ‘unfinished’ game operated like this and should have planned ahead and un jammed his gun ahead of time. Like, before you put anything else into your hand, your firearm should be your priority. 

• Sad 1

So to answer why this player didn't unjam his gun way before or why the devs overlooked it/haven't fixed it (or why even i didn't know this was a thing) is really simple: this is really easy to overlook. If you think about it, how many situations are there when you are unjamming your gun and need to drop it? I would say it's so rare that not only players haven't found out about this on experimental when it was added, it even took a few years before someone reported it. I've been doing game development and modding for a while (even did a few mods for dayz) and when you add new features you just simply can't test every scenario. You try to think of every edge case/exception and assess them for example like: can the player start the unjam action in a vehicle? And you'll be like s**t i forgot to add that condition. Constantly debugging, fixing something, compiling, testing until you end up with something that looks kinda bug free, and even after that you put that on a testserver where players play the game how they normally would and can easily detect bugs that were overlooked by the devs. Except this is a bug which is insignificant 99.9% of the time. You simply don't even try to drop your gun or switch it when you're unjamming.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Parazight said:

The game was released so long ago, I agree.  And it is still this way!!!  We are obligated to assume, at this point, that it is intentional. Surely, because it has been so long, that this balancing question has already arisen and has been addressed.  There’s no way this could be an oversight. I’m not willing to accept lame excuses like “they haven’t gotten to it yet” or some other similar response. Maybe three years ago, after official launch, but don’t you think we’re way beyond that at this point?

And if I were to accept your reasoning anyway, I could easily argue that this player should have known this ‘unfinished’ game operated like this and should have planned ahead and un jammed his gun ahead of time. Like, before you put anything else into your hand, your firearm should be your priority. 

Or maybe he was recovering from a bleed or a fracture from a previous fight and prioritised the injury over the gun jam. Either way it does not matter, your claim that devs though this through is unsubstantiated, there is plenty pretty obvious if you think about things in dayz that were overlooked by devs for a long time. There is no good reason for this animation not having a cancel option other than "he/she should have planned ahead". 

Il 24/07/2023 alle 01:34, Parazight ha dichiarato:

Il gioco è stato rilasciato tanto tempo fa, sono d'accordo. Ed è ancora così!!! Siamo obbligati a presumere, a questo punto, che sia intenzionale. Sicuramente, perché è passato così tanto tempo, che questa domanda di equilibrio è già sorta ed è stata affrontata. Non c'è modo che questa possa essere una svista. Non sono disposto ad accettare scuse stupide come "non ci sono ancora arrivati" o qualche altra risposta simile. Forse tre anni fa, dopo il lancio ufficiale, ma non pensi che a questo punto siamo ben oltre?

How long have you been playing DayZ... Have you noticed the amount of glitches... trivial... it still has? I'm not talking about strange things that happen only on a few rare occasions (which would be understandable if programmers are unaware of them), but real everyday banalities... badly worn Z caps... mushrooms that I took into hand are completely stoned with the texture... trees everywhere out of the ground... stones that seem to float in mid-air... just play for a few tens of hours and see for yourself all this. But programmers don't see it... or act like they don't know or don't give a damn.
This is DayZ too.
And happens, when you open a ticket (which finding fault SHOULD mostly be their job paid with the game), they don't even respond, almost as if it's a favor that THEY are doing YOU.
Haven't you noticed this yet?!?
But you still play DayZ, yes?

just to update the topic,

i was playing on console at the time and the way it works on console is once you start the unjam animation it must finish before you can do anything else

i have since moved onto playing PC DAYZ and noticed that unjamming a gun is a button hold instead of a single press. today i was in a similar situation and noticed that once i let go of the reload button the animation stopped, the situation was almost identical to the one i posted about but instead this time i was able to stop and switch weapons before the unjam was completed. I killed the fuck that snuck up on me this time. that reminded me of my post here and thought i should update. i had no idea i was complaining about a console specific problem. 

on console once the unjamming animation is started you must wait until the gun is fully cleared of a jam before you can do anything else. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 2:37 PM, KA-74USER said:

just to update the topic,

i was playing on console at the time and the way it works on console is once you start the unjam animation it must finish before you can do anything else

i have since moved onto playing PC DAYZ and noticed that unjamming a gun is a button hold instead of a single press. today i was in a similar situation and noticed that once i let go of the reload button the animation stopped, the situation was almost identical to the one i posted about but instead this time i was able to stop and switch weapons before the unjam was completed. I killed the fuck that snuck up on me this time. that reminded me of my post here and thought i should update. i had no idea i was complaining about a console specific problem. 

on console once the unjamming animation is started you must wait until the gun is fully cleared of a jam before you can do anything else. 

Nice researching to see if there is a platform difference!

So the remainder of this thread literally could have just been: wow that sucks please make unjamming on console a continuous hold action instead of a full-length action
It's that easy guys There was 100% no need to play the blame game.