Something needs to happen with the moving Toxic zones.

Yesterday i was in Stary Sobor. I saw a 3 man Squad around a M3S. I managed to kill all of them. When i tried going for the loot suddenly a Gaszone dropped on the Western part of Starytown and i suffered a inevitable and painfull death. 

I dont give a damn about the loot... but i think its simply bad gameplay design when you survive for over a week, even managed to get a nice squadwipe.... AAANNND you die to something that is completly out of your reach.

few solutions:

1) Gaszones dont drop in areas where there are currently players.

2) You get a loud air alert sound that indicates that you are currently in a area that is about the be gassed.

3) Remove the gaszones xD     What is the lore behind the gaszones anyways? I dont think they fit in the theme at all sadly.

Just a very very slim majority of players actually has a full NBC suit at them and can profit from the Gaszones.  Most of the time you see that there is a gaszone where you want to go... so you just say: "welp.... too bad" and you have to go elsewhere.  Idk if i ever had a good situation coming from those mobile gaszones.

Your thoughts on this?

Edited by LennyS-cbe65eb8a29b70ab
  • Beans 1

I just realized that you see a little flare right before the toxic zone comes down. 

sadly i didnt see it while i was in a building.

But what is the lore behind the mobile toxiczones anyways?

• Beans 1

That flare is useless, you are more likely to miss it than not. I proposed long time ago to put the handheld radio to use and have a location of the incoming strike broadcast on a dedicated channel, say two minutes beforehand. No one uses that thing, ever. The only thing it's good for is providing an extra battery slot. 

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 2
  • Beans 1

sorry, but no.

your death could be easily avoided by just being prepared (this is dayz). u said u were alive for a week, so that should be enough time really.

its easy to miss the flare at broad daylight, but even if you're in the center - you can just run out it. if your screen shakes you're in the zone. run. if you're low on stamina, pop an epipen and run. once out of the zone, fix yourself up with a blood bag of your own bloodtype. done.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

12 hours ago, etwas said:

sorry, but no.

your death could be easily avoided by just being prepared (this is dayz). u said u were alive for a week, so that should be enough time really.

its easy to miss the flare at broad daylight, but even if you're in the center - you can just run out it. if your screen shakes you're in the zone. run. if you're low on stamina, pop an epipen and run. once out of the zone, fix yourself up with a blood bag of your own bloodtype. done.

How do you want me to be prepared? keep a NBC set on me 24/7? I was gathering building supplys! no way i can fit a full NBC suit in my inventory aswell.

You cant always just run out.  I was in the centre with yellow health. The second i heard to bomb drop above me, i started sprinting out of it, but still got posioned and died because of the blood vomiting.

"once your done fix yourself up with a bloodbag".....   bruh... it killed me within 2 minutes.....    i was low from the gunfight....   where the hell will  i get a bloodbag this fast, while standing south of stary on the field? before i even reached the forest south of stary, i died from vomiting blood.

What i am trying to say is, that you EASILY can miss the flare and therefore have no way of telling that the gas is coming. I DIDNT EVEN KNOW THE FLARE EXISTED, until i saw it today.  In my case, there was no way for me to react to the gas. The gaszone in stary is HUGE! and i was in the middle of it.  I had no time to run out, and i didnt see the flare as i was in a building. 

That thing straight up killed me, and there was nothign i could have done diffrently, besides keep a full NBC suit on me  while looting industrials on a full 100Slot server, ..... 

There needs to be a better indicator that its coming! all im saying.

• Beans 1

firstly its not the games fault that u were low health.

secondly u said u were alive for a week - thats the time to get prepared (here: find bloodbag, find iv start kit, fill bloodbag with your own blood type, craft iv bloodbag.) u deal with that BEFORE u might get hit from a gasstrike, not after.... i thought this is obvious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Love the gas zones, it spices things up.

The lore is: uninfected military is firing artillery (155mm Howitzers with Timed Fuzes, which detonates in the air over intended target — I’m an artillery Army veteran) at populated areas where infected are located in an attempt to irradiate zombies. 

Listen for cannon fire in the distance, gives you a forewarning so does the coordinated illum strike at night, which displays a flare in the night sky.

Edited by WOLVERlNES

13 hours ago, WOLVERlNES said:

Love the gas zones, it spices things up.

The lore is: uninfected military is firing artillery (155mm Howitzers with Timed Fuzes, which detonates in the air over intended target — I’m an artillery Army veteran) at populated areas where infected are located in an attempt to irradiate zombies. 

Listen for cannon fire in the distance, gives you a forewarning so does the coordinated illum strike at night, which displays a flare in the night sky.

Thats the idea behind it.     But the Zombies dont die from the gas.   So it makes no sense at all.

19 hours ago, etwas said:

firstly its not the games fault that u were low health.

secondly u said u were alive for a week - thats the time to get prepared (here: find bloodbag, find iv start kit, fill bloodbag with your own blood type, craft iv bloodbag.) u deal with that BEFORE u might get hit from a gasstrike, not after.... i thought this is obvious.

Your right... i could have saved myself....  but....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop acting like its the obvious thing to always run around with your own blood in your pocket, for the rare occasion that you might be randomly gasbombed.  Because it just isnt.

Thats as if you always have a banana with you, in reallife, for the rare occasion that you might need to distract a horde of chimpansees that try to rob you, altho this is highly unlikely and has never happened to you.

And you tell everyone in the internet that gets robbed by chimpansees that:

"your death robbery could be easily avoided by just being prepared (this is dayz this is reallife). u said u were alive for a week 27 years, so that should be enough time really to find a banana."

Thats literally what your doing here.  The chances of a gaszone dropping on you are so slim, that it most of the time is not worth it to carry a bloodbag with you, especially when you have a hefty weightsystem on the server. Same as its not reasonable to carry around a banana all the time.

Do you have a filled bloodbag on you all the time? Be honest.   Do you?    When was the last time you killed someone and he actually had a filled bloodbag on him?    Because i simply cant remember. Some people have Saline, but thats it. Ever since they introduced to bloodtypesystem most people cant be bothered.

You might be playing on some (PvE) server, where Gaszones and NBC gear are very common. On such servers the meta might actually gravitate towards having a bloodbag ready, just in case you have a incident in a gaszone.... so ill give you the benefit of the doubt here. But where i play, this is simply not what people do.

Afterall those gaszones werent designed to be a direct threat to players. They were intended to be mobile POI´s for players to get good gear.  Thats why you have those warning indicators, so you can move out of the way. But the way those gaszones are implemented right now is just plain badly designed. Because you can easily miss the initial indicator by being in a house... and some gaszones are so big, that even if you instantly recognize the cannons and start running, you dont have enough time to run out of them when your hurt.  So they will just drop on you and your dead.

Wouldnt it make more sense to just fix the problem instead of having to carry around a banana for the rest of my life!? 

lets simply admit that the Gasbomb indicator is lacking, especially during daytime. You can easily miss it. A clearer indicator, or just a bigger timespan between the cannonshot and the gas actually landing would instantly fix this.

Thats all im saying. And i think even you can agree on this.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

i dont want to dictate your playstyle, i only gave some suggestions.

yes, if i find a bloodbag and iv start kit of course i craft an iv blood bag and carry it with me, sometimes an iv saline bag on top of it. blood loss is quite common in dayz + the iv saline bag provides some hydration - so thats 8 slots in your inventory. eight.

there are enough warnings audible and visble. the infected die from the gas btw... takes maybe 30-40 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

16 hours ago, LennyS-cbe65eb8a29b70ab said:

But the Zombies dont die from the gas.

Yes they do. I see them die all the time from the gas, they drop like flies a few moments after they enter the gas by walking or just spawned in.

NBC infected are the ones that can survive in toxic gas with their NBC suits.

Edited by WOLVERlNES
  • Beans 1

On 6/28/2023 at 7:44 PM, General Zod said:

That flare is useless, you are more likely to miss it than not. I proposed long time ago to put the handheld radio to use and have a location of the incoming strike broadcast on a dedicated channel, say two minutes beforehand. No one uses that thing, ever. The only thing it's good for is providing an extra battery slot. 

1. Before they`ve changed the behaviour/visibility of all light sources with update 1.21, it wasn`t that bad at all.

At nighttime, the red flare light, signalling the incoming attack, was very good visible at all distances and during daylight it was mostly recognizeable next to the flare, too. 

but now it became really useless and also dangerous, because you can`t differ it`s red light from the afternoon sun anymore for example, and i`m still used to the old visibility)

2. basically, I like your idea with the handheld radios, giving them some usecase, but then i would use it for helicrashes and convois, too.

But i see many problems with that idea:

- what should that message in the radio be like? (a russian/english speaking person giving me some coordinates?)

- or a simple ingame text message ? (like server shut down in x minutes?)

- what is the range of their radio signal? 

- can i receive the signals with a field radio all over the map?

- and is it possible to receive multiple signals/sets of coordinates at the same time then?

- maybe we combine the incoming radio signals from shelling/events with the tourist map (like GPS/Compass) to show the received coordinates?

- what do you think about the possible impact to the gameplay/balancing, with radios indicating specific(or all?!) random events to everybody?

- and how shall it work during car driving? 

- but perhabs, by limiting the alerting radio-signal to an simple beep-sound cross over all frequenzies, we can avoid some of the problems mentioned above? (and the volume of the signal indicates the distance of the event?)  

All at all, i fear this whole thing isn`t very easy to implement in a good&balanced way into the game.

3. so, let me come back to one of Lennys suggestions:

2) You get a loud air alert sound that indicates that you are currently in a area that is about the be gassed.

ok, why not making some usage of the loudspeakers or PA-systems?

- They are hanging around everywhere in most citys, villages or military camps.

- the PA-system is already capable to transmit a sound via the speakers.(VOIP)

- just play a loud siren/noise/sound in/near the attacked zone(hearable for players only?) before the shelling occurs through the speakers and the Problem is solved (except for areas without a PA or speakers around of course)

but there`s an unanswered question here:

why, what or who the heck is activating the speakers/alert, without any electric power source connected? 

Unfortunately, this is difficult to justify, isn`t it?

4. finally, my Conclusion is:

the easiest and laziest way would be to  Recalibrate/increase the visibility of the red flare/signal light to the level it had before update 1.21, especially at short distances from point zero.

greetz

Edited by RenDark2000
  • Like 1

look here`s a situation, only few Dayz ago, where I narrowly escaped with my life in Gorka.

as you can see, I was completely surprised from the shelling because I didn't notice any red signal light warning.

But If you watch the Video very carefully, you can perceive the 2 available visual hints... ;-) 

5 hours ago, RenDark2000 said:

guarda qui una situazione, solo pochi giorni fa, in cui sono scampato per un pelo con la mia vita a Gorka.

come puoi vedere, sono rimasto completamente sorpreso dal bombardamento perché non ho notato alcun segnale luminoso rosso.

Ma se guardi il video con molta attenzione, puoi percepire i 2 suggerimenti visivi disponibili... 😉

Bad video quality, almost nothing is understood... and the audio?

• Confused 1

Sry bro, i`ve recorded this video afterwards, so the quality was lowered.

Im not talking in the video but everything else should be hearable.

I just want to show you, that the red signal light is more or less invisible at days now, especially in the afternoon sun!

(and like i said before: This was not the case/that worse before they`ve changed the visibility of light effects in 1.21)

You can only notice the effects of the red flare at  0:48m(somewhere in the background) and more clearly from 0:55m on!

(--> Pay attention to the reddish glow on the door of the shack)

except of these 2 very short moments there were no other recognizable signs before the shelling happened(and i heard no artillery sound for example, too!)

But the no less important insight from this Video possibly is:

Outdoors, you can escape from the shelling!

Just run away straight from the point of impact as fast as you can!

Immediately!

(I made the failure here and picked up the garden lime again before i finally decided to drop it and started to sprint

and that costed me a second. Nevertheless, i was able to survive and escaped from the gas with one single cut only!) 

Edited by RenDark2000

The real problem in your squadwipe then gasbomb lands on the corpses scenario is not that it killed you.

That part I like.

The real problem is that after the gas passes (lol) all the fully geared corpses will have despawned.

This happened to me.

My friend died, We killed his killers. Then right as we killed them a gasbomb landed.

We waited for the gas to pass (lol) and ran straight to the bodies.

They all had despawned, 3 fully geared corpses gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pyongo Bongo said:

The real problem in your squadwipe then gasbomb lands on the corpses scenario is not that it killed you.

That part I like.

The real problem is that after the gas passes (lol) all the fully geared corpses will have despawned.

This happened to me.

My friend died, We killed his killers. Then right as we killed them a gasbomb landed.

We waited for the gas to pass (lol) and ran straight to the bodies.

They all had despawned, 3 fully geared corpses gone.

is this only true for the random toxic zones or is it the same with handheld/launcher grenates?

On 7/13/2023 at 7:44 PM, RenDark2000 said:

is this only true for the random toxic zones or is it the same with handheld/launcher grenates?

This is no problem with launcher / handgrenades. The small gaszone from handgrenades only lasts for 8 minutes and you can even quickly loot it without dying because of how small it is.

• Thanks 1

If you’re going to go out and shoot at survivors then you better be prepared. You died because you made bad decisions. Maybe you shouldn’t have started attacking people if you were out just to collect building supplies. Maybe you should have farmed antidotes if you knew you were going into a toxic zone area. You knew where toxic zones could potentially hit but you went there unprepared anyway. 

• Like 1

This game is EVERYTHING a flaw. Have you ever noticed that police crashes disappear when you restart the server. Surely that of the small group of houses above the Balota Airfield. The Kamenka Pier Military Crash I often still find the military infected but the convoy has already disappeared. And at the Military Crash west of Novoselki, just above the intersection with the military tents, I happened to see the loot items hanging in the air but without the vehicles and the infected. I don't frequent carbonated zones, but I think "the events" are broken as is everything else in the game.
What really pisses me off is that (besides some deliberate choices that are grotesque, absurd and out of reality) is that many of the glitches and glitches are so trivial and commonplace that they only indicate 2 things :*) either the programmers give a shit about the game and of players *) or they simply never play it. They write the game and never play it once and let the players "do the dirty work" and eventually complain... and maybe... MAYBE... they'll fix something...
There are still badly worn hats, badly taken mushrooms, completely busted light, and so many other trivialities that anyone who tries this game for a few dozen hours will see them right away! How is it possible that these programmers are not aware of it (since they have always been the same defects for so many years)?
Can anyone give me a sensible and objective answer?
And when you open a ticket, they don't even always answer you... as if it were a favor that THEY are doing YOU.

The world upside down! 🙄