Missionhunter

New player can't get started

New player on pc. I started on charnarus. It spawned me in the middle of nowhere, one building in site with nothing in it. literally ran following the road until I ran out of food and died. Every tutorial I've seen shows people spawning in next to a town so they can find stuff to loot. 

So I tried on livonia. worse. started in the middle of nowhere, no buildings, just 20 km + of field with no food, no nothing. I can't even play the game. cant find another player, nowhere to loot, cant do anything because there ISNT anything. Ready to refund this pig of a game

• Beans 1

if you switch between servers when u still alive u will randonly spawn and its usualy in middle of forest. After dead u choose custom spawn and u will be spawn near of ocean like everyone, sometimes will be near a small town/city, other u need to walk/run a few meters to find something. I play this a long time and i have a lot of loot. Dont wanna be a PRO with 1h of gameplay. U need to learn a lot about the game and surviving.

Yeah I just cant get going when there's nothing anywhere to use. I don't know how to choose custom spawn. so should I just keep switching servers until I end up near something instead of in a field starving?

Edited by Missionhunter

Dude, maybe u not playing the same game as me. Join a official server, die once and respawn custom or random as u wish then u need to find a city/town. To find it fallow roads, dirt roads, electric power cables, etc...

Go google and write "dayz map" or "izurvive" and check the place where u spawn, but 1st u need to find a city name plate on game.

Edited by clickptg
  • Like 1

I switched servers over and over while alive. it does not randomly spawn, it sticks me in the same spot with nothing over and over. I literally am unable to play the game. 

u have 4 chars, 1 for 3pv official, 1 for 1pv for official, 1 for mod servers 3pv and 1 for mod servers 1pv. are u choose the same char? give me your steam and i help u start

• Sad 1

if u start on livonia, just follow the river, it will lead to the next town/village. use the roadsigns from there on.

clickptg is right about 2 chars on official servers (one for 1pp, one for 3pp, even shared over both official maps), but on community servers u can have as much chars as there are servers.

custom spawn means your choice of character, not a location on the map.

• Like 1

I am 10 days in on this game. My problem is similar. 

I keep dying because of myself. 

Here is an example:  I have severe blood loss, I am damp, I am sick as well, minutes from death.  I need food.  I'm cutting the last log I need to get chicken cooking and get myself a little better.  Of course the tree I was felling lands right on me and I died.

Spent the rest of the day and a number of lives trying to get to where I died as I had a good start on that prior life and some good stuff.  By the time I finally did get there hours later all that remained was a glow stick.

I have learned valuable lessons like do not beat zombie's with gas canisters, they explode and you can die. 

I have bled out for want of something to cut rags or if i have a cutting tool I can't find clothes to cut up as everything near me is stripped bare.  I learned cutting up what you are wearing is the worst last ditch Idea to have.

I have yet to encounter another player though I have found their dead bodies so they are out there.

2 hours ago, BeeDoh said:

I keep dying because of myself.

Everytime you do a mistake you will learn. The beggining its all about that. Dont give up and you will be better and better everyday.

What some videos to help you with the basics.

6 hours ago, BeeDoh said:

I'm cutting the last log I need to get chicken cooking and get myself a little better.  Of course the tree I was felling lands right on me and I died.

that can't happen. Something else must've killed you, maybe a player. 

On 12/27/2022 at 8:32 PM, Missionhunter said:

I switched servers over and over while alive. it does not randomly spawn, it sticks me in the same spot with nothing over and over. I literally am unable to play the game. 

don't switch servers, live and die on one and respawn on the same one

5 hours ago, Misnomera said:

that can't happen. Something else must've killed you, maybe a player. 

No I was near death and struggling to move back and forth from trees to house.  The groaning sound I made with each labored swing.  I remember the tree 18-20 ft high falling on me and you are dead notice immediately..  If it was a player, heck of a shot.

51 minutes ago, BeeDoh said:

No I was near death and struggling to move back and forth from trees to house.  The groaning sound I made with each labored swing.  I remember the tree 18-20 ft high falling on me and you are dead notice immediately..  If it was a player, heck of a shot.

He's right.  Trees falling cannot damage the player. 

The best advice is to be patient.  You're not on a clock.  Sometimes you have to wait out the bad weather/night.  Wring out your clothes.  Stealth around.  Hardly any food or water is consumed if you're just sitting in a house.  However, running around in the pouring rain will drain your food very fast.  It's better to block swings from infected than power through melee combat.  Learn how to block effectively and pull zeds one at a time. Build your knowledge of the game and survival in the beginning will be much less difficult.  Good luck

Edited by Parazight
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BeeDoh said:

make sure you pay attention to the indicators on the bottom right of your screen. You may have had red food, red water, an illness, or were too hot (red thermometer) or too cold (dark blue thermometer). All of those things can slowly leech your health away until you die. If youre having trouble with the early game, I suggest you do as Parazight said; take it slow and loot the town until you have enough supplies to go north. Important items to look out for are a sharp tool, like a knife, a water bottle or cooking pot, a two handed melee for the infected, and a firearm for hunting players and animals.

Here's how I typically get off the coast quickly:

-drink from the well until my stomach is full, then top it off

-find a sharp object or craft a stone knife (two stones) 

-make gloves with rags (cut up clothing you find, disinfect if used for bandages)

-loot police department, hoping to get a pump action or loot around for another gun

-find an animal to kill, skin it, wash hands (if needed), make a handrill kit (1 stick + bark), make a campfire (wood +bark + sharpened stick) or use a fireplace in a house, eat until full

-run north towards the better loot

Also, once you really get the hang of the game, you can make a stash ( crate = 17 nails and 8 planks) somewhere along your usual loot path, which will help you along the way. You could even hide a fishing pole with some hooks somewhere along the coast so you have a systematic way of getting food right off spawn. GL and dont give up; learning the game is the most rewarding part, you should savor it 

Frankly, i'm amazed. Amazed of how is it that new people are finding this game and want to play it. It does not have any good publicity at all - some youtubers are occasionally doing videos about it and usually it means another wave of slander. Game is not having a great time because of lack of new features, growing number of cheaters even on local scenes and poor updates. If it wasn't for modders that game would be long gone. Does that mean that there really is nothing else to play these days?

• Like 1

Well I am one of the new ones,  I have always been interested in games like Dayz.   I didn't  purchase it before this as everything I heard about game kept mentioning being shot down shortly after spawn by griefers.  I am 40 hours in now, I am enjoying it, the challenge of surviving long term on one character is one of my goals.  I still have not met or seen another player in game, I have only come across their bodies and their bases so they have to be out there somewhere, If they are now done with the game or casual once in a while players I know some town bases that are going down asap.  

I am just starting out with Dayz.  I am attempting to join a server, any server, but the server screen reports "Content required by server".  What must I do to join a server?

Thanks, Rocky

On 12/27/2022 at 7:37 AM, Missionhunter said:

New player on pc. I started on charnarus. It spawned me in the middle of nowhere, one building in site with nothing in it. literally ran following the road until I ran out of food and died. Every tutorial I've seen shows people spawning in next to a town so they can find stuff to loot. 

So I tried on livonia. worse. started in the middle of nowhere, no buildings, just 20 km + of field with no food, no nothing. I can't even play the game. cant find another player, nowhere to loot, cant do anything because there ISNT anything. Ready to refund this pig of a game

I didn't know how to play either and I didn't know where to go. After a few weeks and dozens of losses, I learned.
The new player needs to try to play. You will lose and die several times, until you learn. Once you learn it, you'll find that Dayz is the best game in the world.
If you want to know more, ask here.

On 3/4/2023 at 4:21 PM, Rocky Booboo said:

I am just starting out with Dayz.  I am attempting to join a server, any server, but the server screen reports "Content required by server".  What must I do to join a server?

Thanks, Rocky

If it's a community server, it could be a mod.