justice5150

PC - Is this true about graphics settings?

Someone said that the "extreme" graphics settings should only be used for 4k monitors.

For example, they're saying the "Object Detail", "Terrain Detail", "Texture Detail", etc. are all 4k textures when on extreme.

So basically it's useless to have extreme settings for a 1440p monitor. Is this true? 

Object and terrain details have nothing to do with textures, but with geometry complexity and similiar stuff, I guess.
But I even can see a difference between Extreme and High textures on a 1080p monitor, so my answer is:

NO

If you can run extreme at good frames, go for it. Otherwise it's all about increasing the settings as high as it goes while still offering good framerate in all scenarios - essentially balancing each setting to the highest value that doesn't kill your FPS. For example Extreme/High/Ultra (Hardware) AntiAliasing can kill your FPS, but extreme textures will probably make no changes to your FPS if you have enough VRAM.

My suggestion for settings though, set the "overall quality" to max/extreme/ultra or whatever they call it, as it increases the render distance. Then lower the other settings if necessary.
For some reason overall quality affects render distance, and you can't change it separately.

And if you aren't sure if the setting is making any changes, then you can set it lower. If you don't notice it, it's not worth performance loss.

But regarding your question, no. Extreme isn't for 4K. Extreme is noticeable on almost all resolutions to the essentially same extent.
4K textures aren't equal or only visible on 4K screen. That's a common misconception.

Edited by DefectiveWater

We used to have a distance render slider in the options. Then the consoles happened and that went bye-bye.

14 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

We used to have a distance render slider in the options. Then the consoles happened and that went bye-bye.

Because consoles really are inferior and always will be to the PC.  You can argue their graphics are close to being on par with PC, but you will never have the same level of performance you can get with PC, Consoles always have to make compromises and oh yeah, they are limited to waht the manufacturer puts in them.  For some people, they buy Apple and enjoy a closed system and Apple tells them what they can and cannot do, and for those that really want a powerful phone with many more options and a bit more freedom, they buy Android.   To each their own, but I'll take freedom over control any day of the week.

41 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

They really need to bring it back though (or remove it altogether to make it fair game for everyone). It clearly still exists but it's linked to the overall quality, I don't think it has anything to do with consoles though. Consoles can't change settings so it really shouldn't be the reason why it got removed.

Also servers can change render distance too.

Edited by DefectiveWater

1 hour ago, DefectiveWater said:

They really need to bring it back though (or remove it altogether to make it fair game for everyone). It clearly still exists but it's linked to the overall quality, I don't think it has anything to do with consoles though. Consoles can't change settings so it really shouldn't be the reason why it got removed.

Also servers can change render distance too.

You keep denying it, but so much of this game changed  to cater to the console market, it's not even funny.  The money grab was too tempting and so much of this game has suffered over the years because of it.  One of the challenges is keeping parity across three different platforms.... I will speculate that the reason it is taking so long to fix the vehicle simulation is because of having parity.  It has to work everywhere and there has to be good performance on all three platforms.  Many times to make that happen, you have to make compromises, and on the surface that makes sense, but if you only had to support ONE platform, as the game was originally designed, then you could tailor the performance much, MUCH easier.  But hey, MONEY!  Meanwhile, PC Fans have to suffer through a bunch of nonsense that should have never happened.

• Beans 1

Every player should set their Overall settings to the highest possible setting.  This will ensure that player draw distance is at the maximum possible setting.  You can then adjust graphic settings individually, as you like. 

Obviously the best graphic setting is the one that keeps you alive.