Kyiara

DayZ Wipe Announcement 1.13

Hello everyone,

I'm writing to launch a protest!

I am currently playing on PS5 exclusively on official servers. I am a solo player and I like survival (not especially pvp). My character is about 3 months old and is full stuff now.
I have an M4 (my first since I play in PS5), not because I found it but because I killed a player with it. I have a full ghillie after weeks of playing. It took me a lot of hours to gather my stuff and now you tell me that a new reset is planned!  This is the 2nd one in a few months...I understand that exceptionally there can be one but now I see that it will become a habit... it's Dayz not Rust...

What I liked in Dayz is the persistence and survival, but now why would I invest my time when another possible reset is possible at any time !? By doing so you will kill the game even more in my opinion... 
I really like this game despite the many bugs. I'm a player since 2013 but now I say goodbye. 

One last thing? Why PS5 players don't have 60fps when we pay for the full game and gamepass players have it ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you're playing for items then it hurts and if your're playing for memories, with or without others, then it's a whole different game. Ultimately time in games is limited. Doesn't matter the title, keeping old data for too long will drag down any database eventually. If your character made it to the end - disappeared along with old version of the game then i'd say that you achieved all there is in aspect of survivalism. There was nothing else to do but to let go and move on.

Edited by nemorus
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 2

13 hours ago, nemorus said:

When you're playing for items then it hurts and if your're playing for memories, with or without others, then it's a whole different game. Ultimately time in games is limited. Doesn't matter the title, keeping old data for too long will drag down any database eventually. If your character made it to the end - disappeared along with old version of the game then i'd say that you achieved all there is in aspect of survivalism. There was nothing else to do but to let go and move on.

Last night I was about to write a message but gave up. Seems like you said all I wanted to say, in even better way. Very well said.

• Sad 1

IMO there shouldn't be server wipes this often, if the developers don't want characters to be alive for this long, give us more environmental threats just make the game more punishing where surviving for a long time becomes a real challenge.
The current state of dayz lets you survive for so freaking long if you play carefully avoid cities and hunt in forests for food. 

• Confused 1
  • Beans 1

lmao

#1 rule of DayZ: don't get attached to your gear

• Beans 1

^

Yeh, we all know this, but that's not really the point is it.

Losing your gear to being shot, eaten, starved or just dumb luck is fine and it's what the game is about. But losing everything because someone flips a switch and year zeroes the map isn't the same thing. It's inevitably going to be annoying to the player.

What's happening here is that BI are making DayZ into a run and gun game, where it's utterly pointless to try and build anything at all, including a character, because all you have is a three month lifespan. For the pew pew types, that's not a problem, because their only interest in bang bang, until they get killed themselves, and they'll have multiple characters in that 12 weeks. But for others who play the game differently, it's a big deal, and goes against what the game holds for them in terms of its survival aspects.

These days I play a mixture of game types with regards to DayZ. Deathmatch on Esseker, cos that's all you can do on that map. Elsewhere, I play the game to see how long a toon can go for. The longest character I had was close to six months on Chernarus. He'd survived through a ton of stuff and was close to death numerous times, from players, disease, wolves, bears and my own stupidity. I made the game a little tougher for myself by only eating what I hunted and I didn't use the water fountains, which meant I needed a steady supply of chlorine tabs to purify water. He was, easily, the best and most enjoyable character I've ever played in the game and on that map and the longevity played a big part.

If these 3 month wipes are now a thing, that means no more of that and I can't say that I'm that enamoured with it. Because I like the option of trying for long term survival, where the objective is to go as long as you can.

In fairness, the game needs to be tougher in that regard and food needs to be harder to come by. Disease needs to be longer lasting too and something that a player should dread. Getting Cholera should be a really big deal in the world of DayZ. Not the 20 minute inconvenience it is at the moment. And breaking a leg should be an absolute disaster that puts you in a true disadvantage. Problem is the pew pew types would lose their shit if DayZ's environment became any harder than it is at the moment, so all that's probably a pipe dream.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

This game will probably not be supported much past next year, so modders and server owners will make the game the best they can with the limited resources.

Wipes are inevitable with how the database is set up. It's like your cell phone. If you don't restart the phone periodically it starts acting up. And when there are millions of items/players/bases/vehicles getting moved around etc etc the simulation gets wonky due to a myriad of reasons.

Rust wipes once a month. Rust also has a Dayz mod. Let that sink in a bit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It probably wouldn't hurt as bad if the game carried over your stats, or had some sort of achievement system, or something trivial to show that you did the thing.

It really sucks to lose everything knowing there's nothing you can do about it.   However, it's not too bad as long as you have a group to rebuild with.  Succeeding in DayZ really is about knowledge and social interactions.  Loot is trivial, it's easy to get if you have friends and/or experience.  Quitting because of wipes is a drastic measure, imo.

Even if you managed to carry over your character, it would help. With that, BI could announce a wipe on a given day and players could carry on them their most wanted stuff. With the wipe, the starting over phase wouldn't be as drastic then. You could still load up your character with the stuff you spent the longest time looking for, log out for the wipe, and then log back in. The map would be reset, but at least your character would still have something on them.

It's the absolute elimination of everything that's the main problem.

Edited by Tonyeh
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2021 at 5:50 PM, Tonyeh said:

No. They don't. Whether it's sensible in the end or or not, bases are used to stash loot, first and foremost. Pretending that it's anything else is nonsense.

The problem is that the loot they stash just sits there and causes serious problems with the CLE and performance.

TBH, base building was one of the worst additions to the game when you stop and think about it. It's destroyed the game for a lot of people because you have a group of players that can sweep a map several times and lock up all the top tier loot, denying its use to anyone else. Then they often don't bother logging back in because there's nobody playing on that map cos they can't find any high class loot.

You play on pc? Because on consoles most people just use alt. accounts to stast loot on them. Only idiot would put any loot they need in base. All I keep in my base is a showel, hatchet, 2 spare hammers and electricity source.

• Beans 1

3 minutes ago, Denis Svoboda said:

You play on pc? Because on consoles most people just use alt. accounts to stast loot on them. Only idiot would put any loot they need in base. All I keep in my base is a showel, hatchet, 2 spare hammers and electricity source.

PC. Don't like the idea of multiple accounts.

Idiots may keep stashing loot in bases, but it happens all the time. Break into a base it will, more than likely, have a stash of goods. I've lost count of the bases I've broken into that has had barrels and crates stuffed with guns and ammo. Bases I've come across already broken into with the same. And I've played on servers from New York to Germany.

Walk by a base or someone's lockup and the PC will stutter because there's some much stuff loading in.

• Beans 1

To all those complaining. Stop. 
on xbox my main account Rekmyrooster has about 192 days worth of hours in game play. Idk why some of you short timers come on here and make bogus protest comments or shit all over the devs. Could this game be better? Absolutely! Does complaining and trashing the company fix anything? No. Especially when your complaints are mostly BS. Like “wow no m4 on the coast?” Or “great another wipe! I can’t believe they’re doing this!” Obviously you’ve never had the misfortune of getting your base completely leveled and everything in it taken. This update is only slightly different from getting wiped by a player. 

also stop bitching about dupers. Man the hell up and kill them! It’s not hard. I can be yes. However if you’re smart (which you are) you will find a way around to defeat them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 1

I am very pleased to read you.

I share your opinion Tonyeh.

The problem is not losing everything. If you die in battle, from disease, starvation or by animals and lose everything it's annoying but that's the game and that's why we love it. Simply survival.

But if after surviving all this and you finally managed to get the best stuff after more than 200 hours of play and you can't enjoy it because every maj you reset everything... that's where I have a problem and you destroy the very meaning of the game, survival.

I play on an official server with a high player frequency. It's really hard to find a very good equipment when you are a solo player. I'm not complaining, I like it. But don't come and delete our characters when we just found the perfect gear. It's the second time in a row... more than 400h of game killed by 2 resets in a row... you'll understand that it's a bit annoying and I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

This new delet will not solve anything. In a week it will be the same... teams of 5 players will camp the military bases and collect everything.

They'll just most likely have lost other players like me because they'll have killed the very principle of survival. 

just my opinion. 

Edited by Sir Leone
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Grants said:

also stop bitching about dupers.

I think this is one of the few complaints that people have, but it's fair IMO... because unlike some, this is just abusing game bugs to get more and more loot, and this limits other players because CLE works in such a way...
AND those players that do dupe aren't necessarily bad PVP players, so they could keep donking on you all day long with 100s of M4s and NVGs and plates in their stashes or bases

Easy band-aid fix until it's fully solved would be to remove certain CLE parameters that involve checking stashes and stuff in the bases, and just keep spawning stuff so long as map limits aren't reached.
Example...  (I don't know the numbers) maybe M4 has 3-5 guns on the map as max, so it will eventually keep spawning more of them as long as it's within the max amount (could also include check_in_player to make it a bit more rare).

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

^

That's my absolute pet hate with the game. Those CLE parameters need to be done away with as long as people keep duping and stashing arsenals of weapons. It's beyond ridiculous at this point. It's hard to even find an SKS now cos they're whipped up due to the fact that its ammo got a buff in 1.12.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

^

That's my absolute pet hate with the game. Those CLE parameters need to be done away with as long as people keep duping and stashing arsenals of weapons. It's beyond ridiculous at this point. It's hard to even find an SKS now cos they're whipped up due to the fact that its ammo got a buff in 1.12.

Yeah... SKS's were everywhere before, now? not so much. Idk if they changed the rarity of it too, but it's pretty rare.

9 minutes ago, DefectiveWater said:

Yeah... SKS's were everywhere before, now? not so much. Idk if they changed the rarity of it too, but it's pretty rare.

I think people are just stockpiling them cos they're actually decent now. In lieu of an AKM, it's the best weapon in the game. Not bad at a distance and great up close.

3 minutes ago, Tonyeh said:

I think people are just stockpiling them cos they're actually decent now. In lieu of an AKM, it's the best weapon in the game. Not bad at a distance and great up close.

Yep... I dropped Mosins sometimes in favor of an SKS, and on the early 1.12 EXP I killed 2 guys with one short spray (7 bullets) in close range with SKS... IF it's still the same as it was, it's still a beast.
Now imagine it having 10 round clips... oh boy...

Load 10 normally, the slow way, and have one or more 10 round clips ready for a quick reload. That's bound to be a very strong mid-late game weapon.

For 1.12 I've favoured the SKS over any other gun in the game. The bolt actions are useless unless you're far away and chicken fighting, so If I see an SKS, the Mosin, CR, Blaze and Winchester will all get ditched in a second. TBH, I've even dropped the M4 now, because it's so good.

The only things against it is that it is semi auto and there's a lack of attachments like a decent suppressor. But, sure, good luck finding a suppressor for any of the AK's (good luck finding an AK in the first bloody place).

wipes are necessary they help the game/loot all that stuff fair enough. i think people are just completely caught off guard by the short time between wipes, especially on official where life is brutal.