Sign in to follow this  
maxon-69

Why don't the developers try to make money on this game?

I am surprised by the behavior of the developers and why they do not try to make the game more profitable. The last commercial benefit was associated with Livonia. The question is that we (or I alone) are worried about the developers so that they make good money on the game and develop the project. I have a lot of ideas to earn as much as possible on the game, of course for good work. For example, make a premium version with more content and separate servers.

Because the developers have no control over the money flow or marketing.

The question should be:  Why does Marek Spanel do the things he does? 

Regarding DayZ;  it looks like Dean Hall convinced Marek Spanel to start a new game based on an idea formed off of "make Arma, not war" incentives.  This was to take Arma and make mods based on anything that wasn't war.   Well, Hall spearheaded the DayZ mod.  Spanel apparently liked it.  Dean Hall, incredibly naive as he was, thought he could make a social experiment out of an ARMA project.  A sandbox without actual repercussions for any actions.  A world of people and ways to kill each other.  Yea, great idea for a 'social experiment'.  Seemingly random business decision.

So, 4 years into development they decided to start over.  OR, DayZ was originally, secretly, intended as a way to generate funds to create the Enfusion engine.  Which they haven't actually done anything substantial with.  This all lays on Spanel's shoulders.  The CEO and founder.  He's the one you would question.  Not the devs.  The developers here are doing their job, dictated by the boss.  Maybe Spanel eventually concluded that this project wasn't going to work and/or the engine needed a lot of work.

BI (read:Spanel) likes to say that the company is based on what the community asks for and wants, but that is clearly not the case.  BI has always done what it wants.  It doesn't relate to the community.  Marketing has been non existent for decades.  All the evidence that I see is that Spanel is a terrible CEO and business manager.   It looks like he'll just abandon projects because they may turn out to NOT be easily profitable.  That said, his current net worth is reported to be over 13 million (US dollars).  Seems successful enough, right?

• Confused 1
  • Beans 3

I think the lost profits are also in the millions. I understand that they sold a lot of copies. Do you think they don't need any more money? Enough money for 150 years?

Edited by maxon-69
  • Confused 1

They already pumped the game for what it's worth. Nobody who's been around this community for years is going to throw more money in after Bohemia fucked us by removing half the features and never finishing the game. Early Access or no, there were expectations they failed to meet and I certainly don't trust them enough to spend further funds.

• Thanks 2
  • Beans 2

The devs know that most of the player base has moved on from Dayz. These forums used to be so crowded. So many Fanboyz, and now they are all gone. The game isnt worth sinking more money into as is why they have a very small crew updating it every quarter. I think Bohemia is working on Arma4 at this point

We already paid for the game, and it's not even close to feature complete. Still missing weapons I was using in this same game back in 2014! Selling a PREMIUM DAYZ EXCLUSIVE SERVERS MORE CONTENT is a terrible idea that would make many customers angry besides splitting the community. They are not going to do that. That "more content" you describe, if it was made, should be added to the base game. 

But, it seems like they neglected DayZ, which is bizarre. Look at the amount of DLCs, upgrades, maps and resources ARMA 3 got over the same time period (go look it up). Now look back at DayZ, development of this game was a mess. IIRC in 2019 most devs were moved to other projects:

" ... some team members moved to work fully on Enfusion technology last June, leaving DayZ with a much smaller development team consisting of seasoned developers across various departments. While this change has obviously affected the overall development ..."

It used to be 86 devs in November 2018, but I think you can count the DayZ devs on your fingers now. End of life updates and support. It's clear on which game was put more effort. Since DayZ seemed to have a wider appeal than ARMA 3, or at least equal, it's strange to me. Anyways it's onwards now towards ARMA 4 or whatever else they have planned.

• Like 1
  • Beans 3

This silly game can still be used to make a lot more money and it has time backing it up. It's a product that people already know. Sure it needs upgrades, more options but it's not hard, not impossible. The tools are in place, the stage is set. It's not a problem of chosing five million bucks over one. If money is to be made then the best course of action is to choose both sources. All of them - and it's not even a gamble here.

Let's just focus on getting the base game actually completed before we think of expansions. Livonia is good, I'll say that, but if the next expansion comes before finishing this game completely, I'll never buy it.

• Like 1

Expansions, as in new maps, would be fine even with DayZ in its current state. A new map will always be welcome by me. The larger the better. The Small community maps always just descend into deathmatch and gets old really fast.

But, TBH, I don't ever see DayZ being "finished" to the degree that some are expecting. The last patch will probably be a rush job on some stuff people have been whinging about for ages and some loose ends tied up here and there...and then BI will call it a day....z

That being said I didn't buy Livonia, precisely, because the game wasn't "finished" and that was pretty dumb, cos I missed out on what some people considered a good map. Others think it's rubbish, of course, but I don't know either way. So, I'm still losing out.

7 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

Expansions, as in new maps, would be fine even with DayZ in its current state. A new map will always be welcome by me. The larger the better. The Small community maps always just descend into deathmatch and gets old really fast.

But, TBH, I don't ever see DayZ being "finished" to the degree that some are expecting. The last patch will probably be a rush job on some stuff people have been whinging about for ages and some loose ends tied up here and there...and then BI will call it a day....z

That being said I didn't buy Livonia, precisely, because the game wasn't "finished" and that was pretty dumb, cos I missed out on what some people considered a good map. Others think it's rubbish, of course, but I don't know either way. So, I'm still losing out.

As long as they fix vehicles, finally implent a good basebuilding, fix "woobly" PvE (zombies feel choppy, they run through you, lag hit you etc.) and a few other quality of life small changes, I'll be happy.

• Like 1

The biggest upgrade to this game will consist of one item. Bicycle. Running And cycling simulator - Zagoria is PERFECT for just that.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, nemorus said:

The biggest upgrade to this game will consist of one item. Bicycle. Running And cycling simulator - Zagoria is PERFECT for just that.

This is the thing I want most in the game, even more than helicopters xD.

Oh man with really funny physics when you crash please and someone sitting on the back shooting.

Edited by Homeschooliazon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

🙂 personally i would pay again for this game if it could receive some real attention from the studio. And let's be frank - it's all about money. If money ain't doing it than what are even here for?