aaronlands

What updates do you predict in the new year?

What kind of changes are coming to DayZ in the coming year?  Fortifying houses? Fixed cars? More realistic wounds?

• Like 1

Zero to none...

Fortifying houses? No. Fixed cars? Hell no. Realistic wounds? Hella no. 

Mostly stuff being reintroduced, guns etc. Bug fixes which create new bugs. Tweaks, which create new bugs.

Show me a roadmap/vision and i Will show some faith. 

Devs need to choose a patch. Either a DM game or a Survival game. There is no in between. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, McWendy said:

Zero to none...

Fortifying houses? No. Fixed cars? Hell no. Realistic wounds? Hella no. 

Mostly stuff being reintroduced, guns etc. Bug fixes which create new bugs. Tweaks, which create new bugs.

Show me a roadmap/vision and i Will show some faith. 

Devs need to choose a patch. Either a DM game or a Survival game. There is no in between. 

They have chosen the in between road, like it or not. The vanilla game is like picture you get with the frame when buying it - basic. Most users are more or less expected to put their own content in the frame - the stock picture works but a personal picture is better. So, it is up to community servers and mods to go more towards a pewpew shoot fest or more survival.

As for expected updates, they will keep reintroducing old stuff from alpha, and eventually do something about the physics. That it takes so much time is likely because the issue is firmly embedded in the engine, Adam hinted that the DayZ team is basically forced to wait for the Enfusion crew to work these issues out in the engine. Once that is done it can be applied to DayZ, so when a fix is pushed it will likely be a major overhaul. That experimental patch is going to be interesting...

• Sad 1

Well we will just have to wait and see.

You and I both know they say a lot. Actions with those things said is another matter. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, McWendy said:

Well we will just have to wait and see.

You and I both know they say a lot. Actions with those things said is another matter. 

Admittedly, they "say" a lot less than they used to.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, aaronlands said:

Admittedly, they "say" a lot less than they used to.

That is true.

I still have hope. Just a lot less then before. 

• Like 1

I must admit I have more hope now than after the first year post 1.0 when they just kept adding guns while the survival aspect of the game was still in an abysmal state. Sadly, the way a dominant part of the playerbase approaches the game as a slow-paced pewpew shooter is down to the survival part only getting back on track during 2020. Now they view pesky survival mechanics as stamina, cold, hunger and sickness as annoying distractions from the pewpew.

Well it is almost certain we get the bow back, other weapons and car(s).

However, what I wish is that they put some effort into adding the final bits of content that we still miss from 0.62 and before. We just miss a handful of weapons, animals and vehicles and some other content (notes, books etc.). it seems doable if they just put a bit more effort into this department. Just feels odd that we still miss the bow for example after more then two years of 0.63+. I mean, I enjoyed them giving cooking a big overhaul last year, adding the flagpole etc. but somewhere I just feel that they should now focus on getting the old stuff back in first. Especially weapons and animals. I simply cannot imagine that it will take that long to do if they just focus a bit on it.

Looking at features, we only miss ragdolls as a major feature from the 0.62 era. However, I do not see it coming this year sadly. Nonetheless I do see them expanding on existing features this year. More crafting from animal hides and poisoning/infected wounds I think are first to come. Perhaps writing notes.

Anyway lots of speculation. By the way, where is that roadmap? Perhaps on Tuesday with 1.11 release?

Edited by amadieus
  • Like 1

Yeah, for ragdoll to even be considered the physics need to work properly. Remember when they tried adding the heavy item physics (barrel rolling downhill etc)? Servers were crashing left and right... Once that physics framework in Enfusion is stable I think it might come, but it seems very distant right now.

And yeah, we're half way through february already, a roadmap for the upcoming year is a wee bit overdue...

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Remember when they tried adding the heavy item physics (barrel rolling downhill etc)?

Totally forgot about that. Back then they mentioned it needed some further development. Was is not patch 1.6? I do have the feeling we see some improvements on the physics department this year.

• Like 1

Ragdoll Will create a lot of tears from not being able to loot from it when it rolls under structures. 

39 minutes ago, McWendy said:

Ragdoll Will create a lot of tears from not being able to loot from it when it rolls under structures. 

I was thinking more in the line of infinite bouncing, tumbling down a hill and turning into a projectile and so on 😄 

• Haha 1

Just now, William Sternritter said:

I was thinking more in the line of infinite bouncing, tumbling down a hill and turning into a projectile and so on 😄 

Yes those are also infuriating, but a lot less then not being able to loot that D*ck that wanted (but didn't succeed) to kill you 😉

2 hours ago, McWendy said:

Yes those are also infuriating, but a lot less then not being able to loot that D*ck that wanted (but didn't succeed) to kill you 😉

Well, now you instead get bodies falling into walls or magically bouncing onto a roof you can't get onto. They can't win 😄

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Well, now you instead get bodies falling into walls or magically bouncing onto a roof you can't get onto. They can't win 😄

Man... We're stuck between a structure and a bouncing place. 🙂