DarthGickna123

DayZ map dlc idea

So, Livonia is awesome. I love it. The way it made hunting and foraging have more of a presence than it did in Chernaurus is really cool. So I got thinking, what kind of map could Bohemia make to mix up gameplay even more. Well, I have three ideas.

1. They could collaborate with the modding team creating Namalsk to make a port of the mod to console. 

2. A New York style city. Now the problem with this is that a map with that many buildings would make the game very very laggy. So what if it was generally small in length/width, but not in height. There could be a abandoned subway system and rooftops you could jump across. There would be more food than usual but less weapons and ammo to balance it out.

3. A war torn Afghanistan/desert style area. You spawn on the east side of the map where there are only a couple ruined towns and villages, but, the map is split in half by a river. On the west side are military bases and airfields. The idea is that there is barely any water and everyone rushes to the river to drink and make a base, so you have lots of people fighting at the river. 

I hope you like my ideas!

The problem with a city map is that geared characters would just camp in the buildings and pick people off.  It would be very difficult for the person below to tell where the shot(s) were coming from and I think it would get frustrating pretty quickly.

A desert style map however would be very cool, as long as it had new assets and not the same old Chernarus-style buildings.

I dream of Arma3's Tanoa as a DayZ dlc. It would not only require nearly entirely new map assets, but also vehicles (boats...), infected, animals... It is a map so fundamentally different from Chernarus that it would be ideal as a DLC. I have played a few survival Exile servers on the map and it is ideal for DayZ gameplay.

Frankie's video could be a trailer for it... 

I also think a desert style map would be great, they have Arma's Takistan to work with, so there's an existing map and assets to work with there too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, drgullen said:

A desert style map however would be very cool, as long as it had new assets and not the same old Chernarus-style buildings.

I’m pretty proud of the desert map idea. There would be much more weapons than food/ water.

Edited by DarthGickna123

Takistan gameplay from the old mod:

Spoiler

Takistan has been ported for DayZ SA btw, very unfinished but you can see how it would look:

Spoiler

Edited by Derleth

Not gonna lie, the main appeal of DayZ for me is that it's set in mainland Europe and vaguely frozen in time. Technology is present but not hypermodern future warrior stuff. The fact that it is specifically based on eastern block countries is what sells it to me. It also induces paranoia on any walk in the country, but that's beside the point 😄 

I can however; imagine the setting to be any of the following:

- Near the west coast, based on countries like Netherlands 
- Nordic countries
- Down south around the Mediterranean. Not as far as Greece but more like Italy, Slovenia, Croatia

• Like 1

I would like the Mediterranean as well. Would even be down for US countryside. Anyhow, as some mentioned already they do not want to build hundreds of assets. So if there would be a new map coming up it will make use of assets from BI games. So Mediterranean or Middle-East would be a possibility. Nonetheless, would they really add another map that cost money? I don't think they will. 

4 hours ago, amadieus said:

I would like the Mediterranean as well. Would even be down for US countryside. Anyhow, as some mentioned already they do not want to build hundreds of assets. So if there would be a new map coming up it will make use of assets from BI games. So Mediterranean or Middle-East would be a possibility. Nonetheless, would they really add another map that cost money? I don't think they will. 

The only kind of paid dlc I would pay for at this point would be a major terrain change from what we have seen so far. So, subtropical Mediterranean (Altis), desert (Takistan) or tropical (Tanoa). In hindsight Livonia was simply not different enough to Chernarus, I don't regret buying it - I certainly had hours of fun on it - but I haven't set foot in Livonia for over six months. Yet another map similar to Chernarus or Livonia, with slightly different topography but with the same basic asset assortment, would simply not be very interesting.

Still, as Namalsk and Deer Isle have proved, there is a lot of potential for very different maps if you add enough new assets and play around with game mechanics. Honestly, both those mods would have been more "worthy" of being paid dlc:s than Livonia.

Oh, I would definitely buy a DLC set in Scandinavia using Vigor assets. 🙂

Edited by Derleth
  • Beans 2

I don't get it why they not simply use Altis and Tanoa . Altis would be perferct for vehicle gameplay since it is really large, while Tano would provide a complete new setting including a huge modern city with  Office buildings and stuff ....maybe things like tropical desease could be also added for Tanoa, while hydration would be a big thing on Altis...

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

16 hours ago, Private Evans said:

I don't get it why they not simply use Altis and Tanoa . Altis would be perferct for vehicle gameplay since it is really large, while Tano would provide a complete new setting including a huge modern city with  Office buildings and stuff ....maybe things like tropical desease could be also added for Tanoa, while hydration would be a big thing on Altis...

Both would be great. I imagine the greatest time investment in time would be to convert building assets - making insides to buildings that can't be entered and adding furniture and clutter. Arma interiors are very empty.. Also there would need to be new infected, Chernarusian milkmaids would look kinda out of place in Tanoa...

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1