Sign in to follow this  
amadieus

DayZ 2/Arma Reforger rumours

Yesterday I came across this video from PsiSyn and I was surprised it has not been posted yet. In short, a guy (ex BI) on twitter released several screenshots from a new Arma game, a scrapped DLC for Arma3 and also DayZ2. He mentioned that DayZ was in production in 2019 but was cancelled after the Bratislava studio closed down. This is pretty interesting since when the studio closed there were rumours that mentioned that further development of DayZ got scrapped. Perhaps this was actually DayZ2. The guy also mentions that no new future content is planed for DayZ, only bug fixing and finishing up stuff that is still missing.

Obviously take this with a grain of salt.

Since we are speculating, I'm going to say that DayZ 2 seems highly unlikely. In the aftermath of moving to a new engine just ~two years ago it sounds like way too much re-work. Because let's face it, the engine update was substantial and the game can now easily run for the next 5-10 years in this state. It's a sandbox game and therefore needs maintenance rather than development, once the intended content is in. I'm not even expecting DayZ to fully switch to the new Arma engine, when it comes to that. DayZ 2 at this state would be quite a dick move. 

Now a remake or some kind of revisit of Arma/Arma 2, that does sounds plausible since the assets are heavily used in DayZ and are already available in the new engine. 

What a bullshit....the pictures shown are from the next coming Arma 3 Creator DLC  which was postponed and will come out in 2021. The dlc is based on a cold war scenario and taken place in the former Czechoslovakia. 

Taking about the engine ...the announced work on physics and server optimization is clearly part of the ongoing work on the enfusion engine. BI can not develop any new game on this engine, especially not an Arma game without having proper vehicle gameplay. I don't have a clue if this means they are doing things from scratch or trying to implement Arma 3

tech into the Enfusion engine. However having these things fixed will be also a great thing for DayZ.

Also DayZ dev team stated it again and again..that they are going to fix and polish this game and add missing content if possible but that we cannot expect new content. If we will see any then I expect to see some of the promised vehicles like helicopters and stuff. Would make sense since they have to test it anyway.

This leaves us with the question what else will be in the new enfusion engine...new lighting system and shaders, new weather systems providing stuff like dynamic snow for example, destroyable buildings and terrain...new AI for allies and enemies....terrain features like proper rivers streams and waterfalls...plattform crossplay  and how much of the new tech will be implemented in dayZ for testing xD

One thing is sure though there will be no DayZ 2  for decades if ever xD

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 2
  • Beans 1

21 hours ago, Private Evans said:

What a bullshit....the pictures shown are from the next coming Arma 3 Creator DLC  which was postponed and will come out in 2021. The dlc is based on a cold war scenario and taken place in the former Czechoslovakia. 

Good point, I already forgot about that DLC. But it does show some similarities with the screenshots shown in the video.

There was supposed to be an announcement on a new game running on Enfusion somewhere at the end of 2020. Obviously that did not happen, but it is safe to say that this likely will happen this year. So still curious to see what that will be. Perhaps some parts of those rumours will be true.

21 hours ago, Private Evans said:

This leaves us with the question what else will be in the new enfusion engine...new lighting system and shaders, new weather systems providing stuff like dynamic snow for example, destroyable buildings and terrain...new AI for allies and enemies....terrain features like proper rivers streams and waterfalls...plattform crossplay  and how much of the new tech will be implemented in dayZ for testing xD

Yeah I do think that further development of Enfusion will be beneficial to DayZ, but only for the things that are running on Enfusion already. I do not expect new shaders or lightning effects to happen on DayZ. That means converting parts of the game that are RV to Enfusion. That would probably be too much for the small dev team. But yeah we will see, I do not expect DayZ 2 to be happening anytime soon. So I was kinda surprised to see rumours that it was supposed to be in development for a short while.

On 1/6/2021 at 3:05 PM, William Sternritter said:

Because let's face it, the engine update was substantial and the game can now easily run for the next 5-10 years in this state.

The engine update was significant, but also the unfinished mechanics of server client synchronization were applied. DayZ cannot easily run for a long time, as it slows down quickly and easily, as the server quickly and easily reproduces the desynchronization for any client on the server.

12 hours ago, lex__1 said:

The engine update was significant, but also the unfinished mechanics of server client synchronization were applied. DayZ cannot easily run for a long time, as it slows down quickly and easily, as the server quickly and easily reproduces the desynchronization for any client on the server.

Isn't that what server restarts fix? I would say we'll have to live with it. 

18 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

Isn't that what server restarts fix?

Our server can be configured to automatically restart by timer. But this does not solve the problem of desynchronization that is created by the server due to the lack of a correct synchronization mechanism on the server. The server continues to reproduce any client desynchronization error for all clients, even when the communication pause is over. Agree, when you see a player with a weapon in his hands, who says to you: - I am a "friend", it looks stupid, since on his side he does not have a weapon in his hands.

29 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

I would say we'll have to live with it.  

If we ignore any problem, then we will not get an answer to solving this problem. You can skip this for yourself, but you don't need to convince everyone that you can ignore it. I need an official response from the authors, according to the instructions for eliminating this problem, or on solving this problem on the side of the studio.

6 hours ago, lex__1 said:

If we ignore any problem, then we will not get an answer to solving this problem. You can skip this for yourself, but you don't need to convince everyone that you can ignore it. I need an official response from the authors, according to the instructions for eliminating this problem, or on solving this problem on the side of the studio.

I agree with you but I'm skeptical that these improvements will happen. 

1 hour ago, William Sternritter said:

I agree with you but I'm skeptical that these improvements will happen. 

I'm skeptical as well.  We are now into the 3rd calendar year since the official release of 1.x -- if they knew how to fix desync issues, they'd have done so by now.

1 hour ago, Private Evans said:

They have to fix such things if they ever want to release a new Arma game. 

I'm sure they will fix it for Arma, but not necessarily for DayZ. Arma is getting another iteration of the engine isn't it? DayZ still uses some kind of hybrid and not the full new engine. 

Arma 4 or an Arma like title running on Enfision engine will require proper vehicle physics, ragdoll , enemy AI and of course a good and stable MP system. A new Arma title has also of course to overcome the many shortcomings of the Arma series that have been in the game since OFP and definetely bring new elements on the table.

Let's assume BI will bring all the good stuff for Arma 4 only without updating current DayZ  ...all kind of vehicles, overhauled AI, ragdoll and physics...melee, next gen lighting...improved weather...dynamic snow...underground structures.. etc etc etc... It would take only a short time before someone would create a DayZ/Zombie/Survival mod for Arma 4.

Who the fuck would then still play DayZ except for console players ????

thoughts ?

3 minutes ago, Private Evans said:

thoughts ?

I think that the parts of DayZ that already run on Enfusion have a good chance of being improved due to further development on the Enfusion Engine. I cannot remember entirely which parts of DayZ run on Enfusion, but it surely are the player controller and physics. Perhaps the network part is Enfusion too. So I would not be surprised that we see further improvements for physics and network stability.

Stuff related to the map/world is still RV though. That's why I do not expect huge improvements on lighting and other kind of flashy graphical improvements. I do however, hope for further texture improvements as we have seen in 2020. Furniture in houses really need a texture upgrade.

I also thought about DayZ mod for Arma4. When Arma4 will be steps ahead of DayZ in terms of graphics, physics, AI, etc... then I do see a lot of people moving towards the mod again. Problem is that the mod will no way be close to the features of DayZ SA. So it either will be a way better looking game or way better fleshed out features. So I do think that there will be still room for DayZ SA. And the rumours had mentioned that Arma4 is still years away. But again, they are rumours.

2 hours ago, Private Evans said:

Let's assume BI will bring all the good stuff for Arma 4 only without updating current DayZ  ...all kind of vehicles, overhauled AI, ragdoll and physics...melee, next gen lighting...improved weather...dynamic snow...underground structures.. etc etc etc... It would take only a short time before someone would create a DayZ/Zombie/Survival mod for Arma 4.

Who the fuck would then still play DayZ except for console players ????

thoughts ?

One as stated above, what features will the mod have? I'm not in favor of even the current DayZ modding that mostly focuses on gearing everyone up. Thus DayZSA maybe very much relevant despite A4's improvements. 

Secondly though, if the A4 DayZ mod exists and it's popular, people will be buying A4 and thus either way BI get a load of money with minimum effort on DayZ. 

I have to admit that I am playing vanilla only never being a great fan of dayZ mods except new maps. I was only speculating generally, that if Arma 4 will feature next gen tech a  DayZ mod could be probably be much better than the original game. About  features...I can not see that much amazing features right now in the current game...I think survial mechanics, loot systems and crafting systems have been done a lot now since Arma 2...so no problem I guess, a medical system will be in anyway and a new basebuilding system could not not be more unimmersive than it is now, not to speak from vehicles....It all furter depends on what the final engine will provide...

2 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Secondly though, if the A4 DayZ mod exists and it's popular, people will be buying A4 and thus either way BI get a load of money with minimum effort on DayZ. 

this is a very good point though !!

Does the Dayz mod for Arma3 have broken bones, diseases and a similar cooking system? Just asking as I do not know for 100%, but I thought that it did not and that it was way simpler than SA. 

On 1/11/2021 at 12:41 AM, amadieus said:

Does the Dayz mod for Arma3 have broken bones, diseases and a similar cooking system? Just asking as I do not know for 100%, but I thought that it did not and that it was way simpler than SA. 

As its a mod, there are combinations of different mods. Some ARMA 3 DayZ servers have the ACE medical system for example, which is way more profound and complex than anything DayZ SA has ever seen. I havent played any ARMA 3 DayZ mods for a long time though, so I dont know how the current ones work, but there were many pretty cool servers years a go so maybe thatll answer your question. Theres a lot more mods for ARMA 3 than there is for DayZ SA.