Ragtime

Base Building

I’ve been trying to build a watchtower for some protection and to store things, I’ve managed to build two walls but there is no prompt to enable building the third wall, it’s got 20 planks and 99 nails attached but no build prompt! Any ideas? 

Also ive heard it’s really easy to break into bases, is this true? Is there any point to building bases.?

13 minutes ago, Ragtime said:

I’ve been trying to build a watchtower for some protection and to store things, I’ve managed to build two walls but there is no prompt to enable building the third wall, it’s got 20 planks and 99 nails attached but no build prompt! Any ideas? 

Also ive heard it’s really easy to break into bases, is this true? Is there any point to building bases.?

Worth it? Depends how you look at it. If you want an objective and something to do in game then it's worth it. If you want it to protect your stash then you're better off burying or hiding it somewhere. 

3 hours ago, Ragtime said:

There are places on all 4 sides of the watch tower to place materials.

You can only build a wall on 3 sides of the watch tower.   One side remains open.  (Its completely retarded, especially as you build up and can not place a gate over the exposed second and third level)   You should be able to build a wall on all 4 sides and convert any of them to a gate.  Instead you will have to place a half-assed single level gate on a multi level structure.  If you build two watch towers with the exposed ends facing each other you can try leaving one wall unbuilt and placing a gate over that.  That would give you three story walls all the way around.  Sounds good right?   The game won't let you place the gate close to the watchtower in that position because of the imaginary watchtower wall that could be built there.  You end up with a gate who's rear side is likely accessible by exploiters.   You spend a fortune in time and resources to build a pile of shit.

I am guessing you might be on the side that does not allow a wall?   If that is the case, those materials are used to build the roof/stairs.  

Yes, its easy to break into a wood wall.  Takes about 15 minutes with a pickaxe or similar tool.

The base building system is broken.

Edited by VodkaFish

1 hour ago, VodkaFish said:

Takes about 15 minutes with a pickaxe or similar tool.

The base building system is broken.

Yet it would probably take about that long in real life to smash through a wooden fence with a pick axe, assuming you weren't trying hard. So, to say it's broken isn't really a fair assessment. I think you're more upset that we can't use more advanced building materials such as bricks and mortar or concrete. I seem to recall a mod years ago where you could use concrete. Personally I don't think bases should be impregnable. People stash loot which then takes it out of the CLE. If the CLE didn't cap certain items, then great. Introduce safes or impregnable bases, but as it is, the only way to access high end gear on some servers is to raid bases. Nothing is forever in dayz. 

Edited by DayzDayzFanboy

13 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Yet it would probably take about that long in real life to smash through a wooden fence with a pick axe, assuming you weren't trying hard. So, to say it's broken isn't really a fair assessment. I think you're more upset that we can't use more advanced building materials such as bricks and mortar or concrete. I seem to recall a mod years ago where you could use concrete. Personally I don't think bases should be impregnable. People stash loot which then takes it out of the CLE. If the CLE didn't cap certain items, then great. Introduce safes or impregnable bases, but as it is, the only way to access high end gear on some servers is to raid bases. Nothing is forever in dayz. 

Numerous aspects of base building trouble me.

The idea that we can't have walls on all 4 sides of a watchtower, and turn any one of them into a gate, is one example.  Not being able to board up windows and doors, vs build a 10 foot section of wall, is another.   Not being able to nail doors shut.  Not being able to choose which side of a gate will contain the hinge and which side will have the lock.  The ability to take barbed wire off the front of a gate/fence when it is installed on the back.  Not being able to make a hatch to cover a portal.  The inability to stack walls/gates on one another, or multiply the amount of resources used for additional strength.  Lack of merlons, murder holes, arrow loops, booby traps and other defensive features.  etc.  And yes, being forced to construct our bases out of what appears to be backyard fencing.  

If a base does not provide security there is no point to building one.  

Edited by VodkaFish

11 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

While difficult to break wooden walls would not be realistic, it is the best way to go in my opinion. I'm afraid that adding materials such as concrete or bricks would look too misplaced in the world of Dayz.

As far as I know nobody wants impregnable bases, but even after the changes in 108 bases are still too easy to break in. 

If we could create a base, and fortify it, to a decent level of security.   Or if they flatly provided secure storage for x-number of items. We could start working on a player driven economy.  I think computer vendors are a terrible idea.  Providing players the ability to barter with one another would be a great idea.

47.jpg

32 minutes ago, amadieus said:

While difficult to break wooden walls would not be realistic, it is the best way to go in my opinion. I'm afraid that adding materials such as concrete or bricks would look too misplaced in the world of Dayz.

As far as I know nobody wants impregnable bases, but even after the changes in 108 bases are still too easy to break in. 

Concrete and bricks have been around for 1000s of years.   Bricks are one of the oldest building materials, they were used 9,000 years ago.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-oldest-cities-in-the-world.html

Edited by VodkaFish

3 hours ago, VodkaFish said:

Concrete and bricks have been around for 1000s of years.   Bricks are one of the oldest building materials, they were used 9,000 years ago.

This has become available with the development of shell deposits, clay rocks, stones as well as requires a lot of different resources, for extraction, bonding, hardening of clay and so on. The cost of producing material for a brick construction is much higher than a wooden building.

11 minutes ago, lex__1 said:

The cost of producing material for a brick construction is much higher than a wooden building.

Depends where you live.  In the middle east it's probably cheaper.  You would likely use what was available.  The Romans used volcanic rock and lime to harden their concrete.  It is not rocket science and there are not a lot of things you need to source.  The game already has mechanics available to get small stones and produce lime.

I would be willing to spend 5x, even 10x, the resources to build something that took several hours to break into.

Edited by VodkaFish

Well, seeing as this is Russia with high forest density wood would be the first obvious material people would use. But this is all academic. We have what the game provides. There are other games such as Ark which have more in depth base building. But dayz isn't really focused on base building. Sure, it's a nice distraction but any base can be broken into whatever material you use. You're far better off stashing loot where it can't be found rather than building a beacon for everyone to see. 

19 hours ago, VodkaFish said:

You misunderstood me. Of course I know that technology wise it should be possible to build a concrete and brick building in a game that takes place in the 21st century.

However, game-wise it would look misplaced. For example, you walk through the dense woods and then suddenly stumble on some sort of thick concrete Fort Knox. It looks fake and gamey. So I rather opt for fake overpowered wooden walls that do fit the world instead of random brick houses everywhere in the world like Rust.

Edited by amadieus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, amadieus said:

You misunderstood me. Of course I know that technology wise it should be possible to build a concrete and brick building in a game that takes place in the 21st century.

However, game-wise it would look misplaced. For example, you walk through the dense woods and then suddenly stumble on some sort of thick concrete Fort Knox. It looks fake and gamey. So I rather opt for fake overpowered wooden walls that do fit the world instead of random brick houses everywhere in the world like Rust.

If the world were populated by flesh eating zombies and psychotic murderous survivors I doubt you'd choose to live in anything less.

About the real world- I've always considered stick built dry wall home to be ridiculous.  It's unfortunate building codes in the US have encouraged their use.  Insulated Concrete Forms are a much better option.  Structures like that should be mandated for new construction.

Fire, termite, hurricane, water, and even security threats, are greatly reduced. The cost is not that much more.  ICF structures typically enjoy superior thermal befits as well. The gov claims they are concerned with energy use.  They could offer economic incentives to live in such a home vs give our tax dollars away to foreigners who should be taking care of themselves.  Insurance companies should be forced to provide discounted coverage, reflecting the reduced risk, this would help offset the cost of construction.

• Confused 2