TayAI

Noob question: storage persistence

hi all,

New here, and new to DayZ on Xbox, used to play on PC back when it was an Arma 2 mod. Great to see it survived.

My questions are: I have two barrels hidden in the woods, for lack of pliers anywhere. If I go to a different official server (am on official server now), will my barrels and loot be there? Are they bound to the server I made them on? Is it possible to go to a different server, loot, hop back to the server I have barrels on?

The server is fine, I am desperate to find pliers and build a base, looking for two full weeks now in all the loot quality zones, on the right spawn locations and nothing.

Thanks for answering!

Loot is linked to that server. Also, if you server hop, you will respawn on a random location. They introduced this to prevent server hopping and ghosting. 

7 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Loot is linked to that server. Also, if you server hop, you will respawn on a random location. They introduced this to prevent server hopping and ghosting. 

hey thanks, awesome thanks for clarifying. Does it mean that if I hop back onto the server where I hid the barrel, within the 42 (? 45?) days, it's still there?

Yeah, so the barrel will stay wherever you leave it, but just on that server. It's also worth noting that in the last update, despawn times have increased. So if you drop loot on the floor it stays there a long time now. Not sure how long, but the other day I dropped some stuff from my inventory and logged off for the day. The next day when I logged back on it was still there, so I'm guessing at least 24 hours. 

As for barrels, chests, crates etc, I think they stay for longer but again, I couldn't say how long as I tend not to stash things. IIRC buried items are persistent for 40 days, but don't quote me on that. 

Again, many thanks! Based on your first answer I felt confident enough to try and it worked!

You can take a barrel with you to another server- you just have to have it in your hands when you exit and relog into the new server. also I am not sure how pliers (besides installing barbed wire) will help you build a base... oh I guess you do for a gate... my appologies  what you need are nails, a saw, a hammer or hatches, a shovel, a rope for the kits. a flag if you dont want items to despawn while left outside a persistent container.

But yeah- if you are trying to move your base to another server- you would be better off just making a new base in the server you wish to play on.

Edited by Exxoduss
Oh- And a sledge hammer

Dayz item spawn is jacked-up.  I was dying for nails at one point.  The drought lasted a couple weeks.  Then, in one day, I looted a dozen boxes.  Recently, looting containers at the shipyard I came across 5 pickaxes in a row.  Loot is not completely random.

3 hours ago, VodkaFish said:

Dayz item spawn is jacked-up.  I was dying for nails at one point.  The drought lasted a couple weeks.  Then, in one day, I looted a dozen boxes.  Recently, looting containers at the shipyard I came across 5 pickaxes in a row.  Loot is not completely random.

I wondered if the game tried to predict the kind of loot you were looking for, by looking at your inventory / loot and if you have a base or not. If I have a stash of nails, saws, hammers, storage in the wild, the game could predict I was looking for pliers. At the same time, I have a feeling that because of the low pop on the servers I play on, it affects loot somehow but can't really explain it. I'll just have to grind, eventually I'll get lucky heh.

@TayAIThe CE (Central Economy) works off of nominal numbers, meaning nominally, there should be this number of X item available to loot in the world.

Let's use flashlights as an example.  In the server types file, it says that nominally, there should be 90 lootable flashlights in Chernarus.  There is also a minimum value of 70.  So, what this means is the CE is going to spawn at least 70 of them, but nominally (or ideally), there will be 90 of them.  Let's say at server start, there is 90.  You come along and loot one of them.  This triggers the CE to mark the flashlight as now being less than nominal, so as soon as a loot spot opens up in the world for the category and tag names associated with a flashlight (which is tools and shelves) and assuming there aren't other items on the "less than nominal" list ahead of the flashlight, the CE will eventually spawn one somewhere (not necessarily from the spot you looted it from) to replace the one you looted.

Loot also won't spawn while you're standing in the vicinity of an open loot spot, so as VodkaFish described encountering 5 pick axes in a row, this was probably because 5 were looted across the map by 5 different people in a relatively short period of time, so the CE finds 5 spots to add 5 pick axes and if that happened to be the only tool in a less than nominal state at the time, you could wind up with a bunch of them spawning together and if those tool loot spots happened to be close to each other, you wind up with what he experienced.

So, it's not random and it's not predictive based on what you might be looking for.  It's completely based off of trying to keep all loot balanced to the nominal numbers.

• Beans 1

28 minutes ago, drgullen said:

@TayAIThe CE (Central Economy) works off of nominal numbers, meaning nominally, there should be this number of X item available to loot in the world.

Let's use flashlights as an example.  In the server types file, it says that nominally, there should be 90 lootable flashlights in Chernarus.  There is also a minimum value of 70.  So, what this means is the CE is going to spawn at least 70 of them, but nominally (or ideally), there will be 90 of them.  Let's say at server start, there is 90.  You come along and loot one of them.  This triggers the CE to mark the flashlight as now being less than nominal, so as soon as a loot spot opens up in the world for the category and tag names associated with a flashlight (which is tools and shelves) and assuming there aren't other items on the "less than nominal" list ahead of the flashlight, the CE will eventually spawn one somewhere (not necessarily from the spot you looted it from) to replace the one you looted.

Loot also won't spawn while you're standing in the vicinity of an open loot spot, so as VodkaFish described encountering 5 pick axes in a row, this was probably because 5 were looted across the map by 5 different people in a relatively short period of time, so the CE finds 5 spots to add 5 pick axes and if that happened to be the only tool in a less than nominal state at the time, you could wind up with a bunch of them spawning together and if those tool loot spots happened to be close to each other, you wind up with what he experienced.

So, it's not random and it's not predictive based on what you might be looking for.  It's completely based off of trying to keep all loot balanced to the nominal numbers.

Thanks for the indepth explanation. It makes sense, but also it doesn't. I just spent on a low pop (<5 players) server, going to -from Sveto- and looting all in Vibor -and there was nothing. Nothing. It doesn't make sense. All the while the same low loot count. The algorithm as you describe it must somehow work against itself when player counts are low. Or people are making mass excursions to other servers, loot everything and dump into their base on their home server. Or base builders hog them and prevent respawns somehow.

Still hunting for pliers, but it's annoying. They're pliers, not M4s.

11 hours ago, TayAI said:

Thanks for the indepth explanation. It makes sense, but also it doesn't. I just spent on a low pop (<5 players) server, going to -from Sveto- and looting all in Vibor -and there was nothing. Nothing. It doesn't make sense. All the while the same low loot count. The algorithm as you describe it must somehow work against itself when player counts are low. Or people are making mass excursions to other servers, loot everything and dump into their base on their home server. Or base builders hog them and prevent respawns somehow.

Still hunting for pliers, but it's annoying. They're pliers, not M4s.

It may have been highly populated before you came on I guess? Also worth remembering that loot stays on the ground much longer now which could be affected detrimentally by people loot cycling maybe? 

It's always funny though that people are always looking for the thing that you get sick of stumbling across. Now when I'm looking for an item I tell the game I'm looking for a pea coat! 

4 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

It may have been highly populated before you came on I guess? Also worth remembering that loot stays on the ground much longer now which could be affected detrimentally by people loot cycling maybe? 

It's always funny though that people are always looking for the thing that you get sick of stumbling across. Now when I'm looking for an item I tell the game I'm looking for a pea coat! 

HAHAHAHAHA  True- How True

Low pop server do serve as bases for high pop server Conflict... For example, when I had my clan in Dayz. We would choose a low pop to recap after we got killed (of course this was before the randomized spawn in between servers) then head to a high pop for PVP. the same may be taking into account here but with a few twists- One persistent loot stashes. these stashes may contain anything if not everything for a high volume group to come to after death so they can hop again to a high pop server to pvp after the "kit" back up. this may add to the lack of resources if several groups use the server for this purpose.

Funny thing is, I ran accross several pairs of pliers last night by Kamensk military base. I would give you the official server number but I forget it off the top of my head. another thing you could try is to locate some other player bases and loot them... You can do a google search for "Dayz heat map" and get an idea of where to look for these bases. some additional tips for base hunting is to think like them, you want resources (water, food) generaly by a military base for loot and possible helicopter crashes, you also want to be in short distance to player respawn locations, lastly someplace people never go and usualy in deep forests. recently though I have been noticing more and more bases being built inside pre existing buildings- check barns and usualy just on the outskirts of a major city but near a water source...

On a personal and unforgiving developer side note of constant barrage and pestering without ending--- I wished the map was 740 sq KM bigger....  Hint hint

Edited by Exxoduss

I like the idea of base building but I'd prefer to be able to just pick an apartment somewhere and board up the windows. It's quite a while since I indulged in any sort of base building, and that just involved hiding a couple of barrels in water. I remember watching an old DeadlySlob survival series where he did this. I think barrels were quite rare then but I liked the idea of low profile existence out in the wilds. 

When I left the game, tents hadn't been released yet nor hunting and fishing and I remember the thoughts of just hiding from everyone innawoods.

I built a shelter from branches -surprisingly effective!- and am now dragging a barrel across Chernarus. My third. We plough ahead!

Oh and thanks @Exxoduss very informative. I'll admit I do low pop servers because I like PVE more and just generally don't like online play, kind of an old fart I guess. So I guess it's a trade off, less conflict, less loot, hah.

• Beans 1