Sign in to follow this  
VodkaFish

Life on the Coast

I've been living on the coast for about 2 weeks now.   I am preparing bases there for when I die inland and have to respawn on the coast. Hopefully I can keep some food, water, and gear, there to give me a good head start back for my quest North.

I have not done much gun fighting yet.   I've intentionally restricted myself from carrying too much gear, or using firearms, for much of my adventuring.  If you have multiple loaded magazines in your inventory for a weapon you are carrying you have to drop and drag them to your gun to reload?  seems very convoluted.   There is no way to link a weapon to what you'd reload with?

also..  I'm carrying a pump shotgun.   Would the scorpion offer me any advantages?  I now have a lot of mags and ammo for that and the Makarov.

2 hours ago, VodkaFish said:

If you have multiple loaded magazines in your inventory for a weapon you are carrying you have to drop and drag them to your gun to reload?

You can put loose ammo or clips/magazines into a hotbar item slot and then use that to reload a weapon.  Just hold down that button with the weapon in hand. Thus, you can avoid going into the inventory during times of battle.

2 hours ago, VodkaFish said:

Would the scorpion offer me any advantages?  I now have a lot of mags and ammo for that and the Makarov.

The ammo that those weapons use is inherently weaker.  That said, you don't have a ton of options if you don't leave the coast.

53 minutes ago, Parazight said:

You can put loose ammo or clips/magazines into a hotbar item slot and then use that to reload a weapon.  Just hold down that button with the weapon in hand. Thus, you can avoid going into the inventory during times of battle.

Just use the reload button. That will load single rounds into a vun, rounds into a magazine, magazine into a gun. Depends on what you're holding. No need to waste quick slots on ammo anymore if you just want to reload.

I use the xbox, I need to look up a tutorial how to use that bar.   I've been using the inventory system to reload and such.. it takes away a lot from the experience.

24 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

Just use the reload button. That will load single rounds into a vun, rounds into a magazine, magazine into a gun. Depends on what you're holding. No need to waste quick slots on ammo anymore if you just want to reload.

I use xbox, we have a reload button?

delete this one pls.

Edited by VodkaFish
trying to fit quote in there.

14 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

No clue, I play on PC 🙂

apparently "Y" is reload on xbox.  I will try to remember to use that next time I need a reload.   I did kill someone who was stalking me yesterday but it only took one hit.  I don't know if it was buckshot or slugs.

4 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Sometimes I want to use the mag with armor piercing rounds. And sometimes I want to reload with rubber slugs. How is the reload button to know which one I want?

7 hours ago, Parazight said:

Sometimes I want to use the mag with armor piercing rounds. And sometimes I want to reload with rubber slugs. How is the reload button to know which one I want?

That's a good question, I too would liketo know how is that handled when you have more ammo types. Does perhaps @ImpulZ know?

Nevertheless, that excatly the reason why I specifically wrote "if you JUST want to reload". 

20 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

That's a good question, I too would liketo know how is that handled when you have more ammo types. Does perhaps @ImpulZ know?

Nevertheless, that excatly the reason why I specifically wrote "if you JUST want to reload". 

The answer is to use the hotbar item slots, like I mentioned in my first reply.   
Nevertheless, my first response was to inform the OP of the existing mechanic, instead of just telling him to do it half-assedly, with the reload button. 

7 hours ago, Parazight said:

The answer is to use the hotbar item slots, like I mentioned in my first reply.   
Nevertheless, my first response was to inform the OP of the existing mechanic, instead of just telling him to do it half-assedly, with the reload button. 

OP should know that the reload button works, it works for more than just loading the gun and if you have one ammo type, you're under pressure and such reload is much quicker than fiddling with hotbar. Ammo assigned to hotbar can simply run out and you need to open the inventory again. 

On 11/1/2020 at 7:06 PM, William Sternritter said:

About PC gun reloading mechanic there's a different use of the reload key, with a single short tap you can reload a single round, holding down the key for a longer time will reload a whole magazine, if you have one... I don't know if the key pressing time works even for other game platforms...

4 minutes ago, oldfossil said:

About PC gun reloading mechanic there's a different use of the reload key, with a single short tap you can reload a single round, holding down the key for a longer time will reload a whole magazine, if you have one... I don't know if the key pressing time works even for other game platforms...

Reload button should work the same, even on PC the controller bindings use just one button. Which is another thing, since OP plays on XB, not sure how quick the quick bar is there, compared to PC. 

8 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Ammo assigned to hotbar can simply run out and you need to open the inventory again.

Maybe this is where you use the reload button.  By the time the stack of ammo on the hotbar becomes zero, you're likely out of the fire-fight or have reduced options.

On 11/1/2020 at 12:06 PM, William Sternritter said:

No need to waste quick slots on ammo anymore if you just want to reload.

Using quick slots for ammo is maximizing its use, in my opinion.

Thanks for the replies guys.  I will learn both methods and try them.    Have not been fighting much yet, just building (in preparation for getting stuff) and looting building materials and tools.