Tonyeh

How are people finding my stashes?

So, I've had several stashes and all of them have been found. My first stash was near a house. That got dug up. Fair enough, it was near a house. My second stash was near a pylon. That got found, um....ok. My latest stash was, literally, in the middle of nowhere, I even had to draw an elaborate map for it. That got found.

How are people doing this?

10 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

There's lots of exploits out there that are being abused, one of them involving a [snip].  Hackers can also run scripts and force the game to highlight where the stashes are located across the map.  I don't know if these things happened to you on the same server, but if so, stop playing on that one.

Edited by Max Planck

10 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

So, I've had several stashes and all of them have been found. My first stash was near a house. That got dug up. Fair enough, it was near a house. My second stash was near a pylon. That got found, um....ok. My latest stash was, literally, in the middle of nowhere, I even had to draw an elaborate map for it. That got found.

1 way that I know people use is [snipping], they [snip] completely  [snip] and then [snip] again and they can [snip]. its a bit time consuming but there's nothing a loot hungry day z whore won't do to find the goods.

Edited by Max Planck
snipsies

So basically stashing anything is pretty pointless, unless you're willing to sit on it 24/7?

Because somebody will come along and snippity snip, steal everything.

4 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

So basically stashing anything is pretty pointless, unless you're willing to sit on it 24/7?

Because somebody will come along and snippity snip, steal everything.

@Max Planck

Sorry about that.

@Tonyeh

I would still do it, but with the caveat that something like this might happen to you.  If your stash is still there, great, if not, oh well.  The main rule of DayZ still applies -- "don't get attached to your loot" -- you will eventually lose it all one way or another.

Perhaps you should purchase a second copy of DayZ and store your stuff on another character.  Mobile and secure storage!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, drgullen said:

I would still do it, but with the caveat that something like this might happen to you.  If your stash is still there, great, if not, oh well.  The main rule of DayZ still applies -- "don't get attached to your loot" -- you will eventually lose it all one way or another.

Well the only thing I'm attached to is my AKM, because I have, literally spent months trying to find one. But that's on me at all times. The only things I'd actually miss from my stash would be the baby AK and the Tundra, which I use for hunting. But both of them are replaced by the AKM...so, it's no biggie.

I just found it remarkable that somebody found the stash this time, because it really was smack in the middle of nowhere. The odds of anyone just walking by it would have been very low I reckon.

The one about "cheats" is a long diatribe, not only in this forum ... and I too would have something to write about it but this is not the place and the time.
I only post 2 links that, in my opinion, are "enlightening" to those who have never "clashed" with these ignoble people who IMO should be fought much more seriously than what it is being done, and for so many other games and companies , NOT just for DayZ & BI.

[snip]

and these are the easiest to find, enough only use Google... I don't think the "best" & "undetected" can be found publicly only by using "Google"... :-/

And I just want to mention that:
* - The special software "Anti-Cheats" does NOT always work well (they do not take everyone and also have false positives... and [tried in person with PunkBuster] lend themselves to "being piloted" to harm those who have nothing to do with the cheats. Must take care seriously on purpose, and with a budget to commit because these cheat software are on sale and you also have to "struggle" to be able to buy the "good and working" ones. A bit like "infiltrating the Mafias", are the video game companies that they should actively deal with this!
* - NOT always those who use a cheat is the "idiot child" on duty, who enters a server and starts killing everyone like crazy..[snip] 😞

Edited by Max Planck

Also, please do not post links to cheat sites/forums. Doing that only help the people working to ruin this game. It also makes you look mighty suspicious, doing their advertising for them, from an account with only two previous posts.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

On 10/3/2020 at 1:36 PM, Parazight said:

Perhaps you should purchase a second copy of DayZ and store your stuff on another character.  Mobile and secure storage!

I mean, I do this so I gotta agree here. Having a second character hiding in a house somewhere with gear carrying bags full of stuff is the best way to store kit and stuff.

I'd consider that a bit of cheat TBH.

No. I'll probably just not store stuff at all at the moment. Besides there's little I actually want to stash really, besides weapons and ammo. Most other things are readily available, so there's no real need to store anything much.

I was just surprised at how people were finding my stashes, especially the ones is very remote locales that would have had little, if any, player traffic.

3 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

I'd consider that a bit of cheat TBH.

Why would you consider a second account 'a bit of cheat'??  This happens all the time.  Lots of games, too.

I'd consider it unsportsmanlike I suppose. It's kinda like PTW. Although there's no real winning in DayZ.

Just not that enamoured with the idea.

On 10/25/2020 at 10:44 PM, RussianReavers said:

I hope this stuff is not on consoles just PC.

Same; I play on PS4. Never had my stashes found. I always put them in tall grass so that the brown pile of dirt is hidden. Another good method is to cut down a tree, bury your stash at the base of the tree where the stump is/was, then when the server restarts the tree will grow back, completely hiding the pile of dirt.

Edited by Mister_Hanson

6 hours ago, Mister_Hanson said:

Same; I play on PS4. Never had my stashes found. I always put them in tall grass so that the brown pile of dirt is hidden. Another good method is to cut down a tree, bury your stash at the base of the tree where the stump is/was, then when the server restarts the tree will grow back, completely hiding the pile of dirt.

That didn't stop players from finding my stuff, which is why I ask the question in the first place.

The last stash I had was in the middle of a forest, under a bush on a generally low pop server. I had to draw a map for myself to tell me where it was. There wasn't even a lootable building or object nearby nearby. The odds of anyone even walking by it would have been astronomical.

56 minutes ago, Tonyeh said:

That didn't stop players from finding my stuff, which is why I ask the question in the first place.

The last stash I had was in the middle of a forest, under a bush on a generally low pop server. I had to draw a map for myself to tell me where it was. There wasn't even a lootable building or object nearby nearby. The odds of anyone even walking by it would have been astronomical.

There is your first mistake, thinking that an area of the map is unvisited 😉

Precisely lol.

Although if you're on PC I'd suspect it's hackers/cheaters. In that case, I suggest you bury a bunch of fake stashes. Drybags with nothing inside them lol. Man I wished we still had pen and paper; then I'd also suggest leaving a note in the backpack that says "Made ya dig!" Then if they try another spot on their Cheater Map they'll find a wooden crate buried nearby, and after they dig it up, they'll find a note that says, "Made ya dig AGAIN!"

Have enough fake stashes, eventually they'll get frustrated and give up, heh heh heh. XD

Edited by Mister_Hanson