sneakydude

We got helicopters yet?

Just checking in after a couple of years, i see there is some new map or whatever but do we have good base building yet, and helicopters, and the pvp returned any?

Unfortunately, helicopters "will 99% not make it into the game". From Community Manager Jakub Vambersky on Reddit (u/jakub_bohemia):

"What Peter is saying in regards to the helicopters and other desired features is that they were indeed promised by some of the devs who were publicly expressing their wishes for the future of the game and showing off features that were not officially planned (My note: These announcements will be unfortunately haunting us for the foreseeable future : / )"

continuing...

"I have not been part of this community for years like you guys have and so it took me some time to do some digging and to find the exact reasons why the helicopter will 99% not make it into the game.

There was some work being done on them and yes, it was even put in the plan in 2015 and teased in 2016 (Peter doesn't mention this). After that, we have run into several problems, however. We wanted to have features that not only work, but are also not exploitable. Helicopters were supposed to be a complex feature with lots of moving parts. Add the engine change and the helicopters became a very problematic and time-consuming feature. You are right, it doesn't hang well but unfortunately, it is the truth."

You can fly helicopters via mods like DayZ Expansion. However, these scripted helicopter mods are not of the same quality as Bohemia-made helicopters in other Bohemia games. And you couldn't expect them to be.

90798E5AE5B6CFC04A173AB1547500D085649A24

On 9/23/2020 at 5:59 PM, sneakydude said:

Just checking in after a couple of years, i see there is some new map or whatever but do we have good base building yet, and helicopters, and the pvp returned any?

Good base building yet?

Yes, and it's persistent. The damage that it takes to breach a wall is reasonable and zombies don't clip through them.

Helicopters?

Yes and no. As was mentioned above we gave base bones and very janky choppers added by DayZ expansion mod however they're not what we had in mod or anything created by Bohemia as was stated.

PvP returned any?

A lot of well known streamers have got into DayZ recently such as Shroud and they seem to think it's pretty solid.

2 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

Am I the only one that thinks helicopters would ruin this game?

Nope. I run a modded server with Expansion on it - but no helicopters 😛 no way I'm ever having them on it.

Imo the map is just too small for heliicopters to be possible to balance. I'm sure it can be fun to play on servers that have them if you like the milsimmy side of things - but then you might as well play Arma. It just shrinks the world too much for me. Now if the map was ten times larger or thereabouts that would be another thing.

14 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

Am I the only one that thinks helicopters would ruin this game?

I talked to someone a while back about the basebuilding and he mentioned how Dayz bases were like fortresses in the mod, people would use helicopters to enter and leave and it just provided monolithic middle fingers to people who wanted to play a survival game. I am not really experienced myself about the mod I never played it but the way basebuilding is open air fencing/towers, helicopters would jump from one base to the next whenever they wanted and would only force people to build more inside of barns and such....which is why the base building for the expansion mod is so blocky.

But also as the Derleth has said, this map is to small for helicopters. Even to think that byplanes would make it in with few runways or places to put them, such long range vehicles ruin the experience without a bigger map if you are not already jaded.

Yeh, that's my thinking as well. This map, while pretty good and fairly large for on foot, is just too small for vehicles. Helicopters would just wreck the game. Even in a car, you can zip around it in an hour.

That's exactly why my little team just threw a bunch of boxes in the woods and called it a base lol. Helicopters ruined mod for me, and maps like Epoch... doesn't even feel like a survival game. It's one of the reasons I will never use expansion. At that point it becomes who has the most time/people to get one.