Sinkronik

Unraidable Basebuilding

Hey Folks,

I know this ist a controversial issue, but a lot of Players are not happy with the state of basebuiling, specifically how easy bases are raidable with little chance to protect loot like cars or tents. 

So naturally, some of us look for ways to prevent this. One of the most promising ideas seemed to be building gates in houses, behind a regular doorway, to prevent an enemy from acessing neither lock nor wire. While the Internet ist full of this method with some people praising it to be the only reason they still play and some complaining about not being able to raid, i myself have now been raided multiple times despite this measure. I set up in the back of a bunker in Tisy, people glitched under map and relogged to be INSIDE my Base.

Next i tried Novodmitrovsks townhall, secured the upper floors and roof with those doors, still people were able to saw our lock without being able to see or access it. When we tried to improve the gates security after fighting them off, they removed the wire instead of the lock on their next attack. Apart from them being assholes that glitched themselves up onto the tower using CAR PARTS (great programming, bohemia) they somehow know a way to "look" through walls (you need to SEE an object to be able to point at and interact with it). So my guess is they know an animation/Glitch that either lets you go through walls entirely, or lets you "look in a way", so you can manipulate items behind it. I would really Like to know how they did it, to try to prevent it...or live with the fact that dayZ isnt as good as i hoped it would be.

Long story short:

I am about to give up dayZ because i am one of those, who play in teams, and teams need a place to meet. It seems there is no safe way to build and protect stuff and i would like to know, how other people feel about this, If there ARE ways to protect a base, and how the hell those people were able to access my gate through a wall.

Cheers

I definitely have to agree with this and I hope somebody from the team will respond.

I want to know, what is the point of base building if it's impossible to protect it? Two days of work is destroyed in 5 minutes with one Hatchet. Realy? This is so ridiculous after six years of work. There is no motivation to play the game, if there is no point but kill on sight. 

I see just two options. First is make it harder to break a gate or a fence. Like it would take 5 axes to break it through. Or second option is make it unbreakable and set a time scale for disappearing. For example if you won't log in in 14 days, your base disappear.

All of us has real life and we aren't able to be logged in 24/7. Some work, some hobbies and so on. Hope you understand me. 

Please don't take it personally, but I bought the game in 2015, waited so looooong time for this unfinished thing? And you release DLC :D. Please finish the game and afterwards focus on DLC, spin offs, bonuses and so on.

• Thanks 1

I made a base in a castle. I built 6 gates for protection, one in front of the other, and nothing else. I figured most players wouldn't have the patience to wait it out while raiding. It only takes 10 to 12 minutes to break in with a couple axes and a sharpening stone.  

Assessment:

To build one complete gate: less than 60 seconds when all supplies are on hand.

To destroy one section of gate: approximately 56-60 seconds.

+ In order to get under the lower section and to the other side, both the framing and the outer wall must be destroyed, which equals 2 "sections," so that would be just less than 2 minutes of raiding to breach 1 gate.

How long did it take me to find nails and tools, saw planks, haul 4 barrels, craft two crates, and establish a small food/water stash just to have more freedom in actually playing instead of surviving? About 18 to 24 times the length of time it took to break in and ruin everything I created; and the crew was nice enough to despawn most items in storage except a fireplace.

I'm not salty, I enjoy every minute of this game. Could it be more balanced? Yes.

Conclusion: increase the current time to destroy one section of wall or gate by a factor of 2-4. Please.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

I made a base in a castle. I built 6 gates for protection, one in front of the other, and nothing else. I figured most players wouldn't have the patience to wait it out while raiding. It only takes 10 to 12 minutes to break in with a couple axes and a sharpening stone.  

Assessment:

To build one complete gate: less than 60 seconds when all supplies are on hand.

To destroy one section of gate: approximately 56-60 seconds.

+ In order to get under the lower section and to the other side, both the framing and the outer wall must be destroyed, which equals 2 "sections," so that would be just less than 2 minutes of raiding to breach 1 gate.

How long did it take me to find nails and tools, saw planks, haul 4 barrels, craft two crates, and establish a small food/water stash just to have more freedom in actually playing instead of surviving? About 18 to 24 times the length of time it took to break in and ruin everything I created; and the crew was nice enough to despawn most items in storage except a fireplace.

I'm not salty, I enjoy every minute of this game. Could it be more balanced? Yes.

Conclusion: increase the current time to destroy one section of wall or gate by a factor of 2-4. Please.

finally someone with a reasonable suggestion.  these threads pop up constantly with ppl whining that its too easy to destroy their bases.  its sposed to be a reslistic survival simulator is it not?  im tired of reading "my base should be invincible, i should be able to build where everyone can see me without consequence."  yourbase should be as safe as the hiding spot you place it in.  id agree with making it take a little longer or making it take a cpl hatchets to get in but i dont think it should be much harder than that

• Like 1

DayZ's current base building is ... not that fun.

Anyone played The Castle Doctrine? Best base raiding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY-8MuN1lik

23 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

finally someone with a reasonable suggestion.  these threads pop up constantly with ppl whining that its too easy to destroy their bases.  its sposed to be a reslistic survival simulator is it not?  im tired of reading "my base should be invincible, i should be able to build where everyone can see me without consequence."  yourbase should be as safe as the hiding spot you place it in.  id agree with making it take a little longer or making it take a cpl hatchets to get in but i dont think it should be much harder than that

So, let's speak about "realistic" in this game. Please tell me, how much realistic is dying after few hours without food? How much realistic is bleeding out after one cut, better scratch, from zombie or from little thorn on the ground? How much realistic is when you hit somebody with 5 bullets 0,45 ACP to the chest and still it beats you to unconsciousness with fists? How much realistic is getting sick by 5 mins in the rain? AND SO ON ... So this is the "realistic" aspect of this game.

Ok, let's continue. 

Nobody is whining. It's just pointing out the unbalanced system in the game. It's just facts, nothing more. The thing is, that system is set up in the way that destroying someone's 10+ hours work, take just 10 mins. And it is STILL just game, so if it can be unrealistic in the way of dying, why it can't be unrealistic in the way of destroying a base?

Without consequences? Another non sense. I just want smart solution and stop ignoring the problem and destroying the beauty of the game. They can do a lot of things to improve it. They can mark out zones where you can or can't built a base. They can make them invulnerable or just more resistant. It doesn't matter, solutions are there, just waiting to take them. 

If you compare how many items you have to find and what you have to do to build a base (small base) and how many hours it tooks you with how "hard" is to find one hatchet and go through, you'll see how ridiculous and unfair is this.

Base should be as safe as the hidding post? Players are everywhere. I tried it and one time it took them just hours to find your place and another time some days, but they reach it everytime. There is no safe hidding post. 

• Like 2

The game's not finished and likely never will be, base building included. I feel pretty bad about all you free-weekend players who basically walked in expecting a completed game.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

11 hours ago, Funkmaster Rick said:

The game's not finished and likely never will be, base building included. I feel pretty bad about all you free-weekend players who basically walked in expecting a completed game.

Not sure I understand this. Are you saying the ideas presented in this thread won't be worked on because the game will never be finished? Doesn't stop a player from dreaming, right?

15 minutes ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

tldr:  saying you are not whining while whining is still whining.  bases should be easy to break.  bases arent neccessary maybe they should be taken out alltogether and we go back to tents 

I have seen this opinion on base building before and I have to respectfully disagree with it. Don't take this the wrong way, but most of the times I can understand why somebody prefers something different, even though it is the opposite of my opinion. Sadly, I simply cannot understand why anyone would support the current balance of base building (i.e. easy to lose). I'm pretty sure that you have never put the time into building a base. Better yet, I am confident that you never agreed for base building to be introduced into the game. I know that I will not convince you, but just to throw the word out again.

Base building should be a time sink. Something that in my opinion DayZ is doing perfectly well. Nobody wants a map clusterd by tons of bases. Making it a time sink, it rewards players that go the extra mile to establish a base. However, raiding a base should be a time sink as well. Better yet, destroying a complete base should take an insane amount of time. Why would anyone bother to make a base if it can be raided within 10 minutes? Currenly it takes tons of hours to find all the materials and just a simply hatchet from a shed to raid a base of its content. This is not balanced. A few arguments that I came across are:

1. Just hide in a good place

No. You simply cannot hide a base and expect it never to be found. Every base, even the best hidden bases, will be found within a matter of weeks.

2. Just guard the base, and if you can't, you should not have a base. (Or in other words, base building is purely for huge clans)

So first this alienates a huge player base of dedicated solo players or people that just play with a couple of friends. Then again, even groups of four to five people won't be online all the time. To have at least one person defend the base at all time is insane. People have lifes as well and no time to always defend their virtual base.

3. Bases a mostly build out of wood so should be easy to break.

It is a game. Be happy that that bases are actually made in a way that they blend in perfectly with the environment.

27 minutes ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

as for the "so i should have to collect nails for 10 hrs just so someone can break my wall in 20 seconds"  arguement.... yes, yes u should. 

I simply cannot understand why anyone would agree with this. Bases should be raidable by some dedicated attack party, but should not be completely demolished within 20 minutes by a fresh spawn with a hatchet. You can't compare a base that takes tons of hours to be build with a new character that you will receive with the press of a button. Sure if somebody is so desperate for high-end loot they might, but I guess most people aren't.

28 minutes ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

(the way they decided to make it) and you post about how (they way they decided to make it intentionally)

They never intended to make base building like this, considering they are going to revamp it.

35 minutes ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

you arent supposed to be able to die 100 times and just run back to base to get new gear and jump back into the pvp.

I agree with this. However, this is more of a problem with burried crates than base building. Lets ignore burried crates for a second. Bases should still be raidable, so your loot should be able to be taken by other players. I think nobody wants unraidable bases, at least I havent' come across these opinions.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, amadieus said:

snip

fair enough actually.  i can see your point and even agree with you on many points as it can def be frustrating to build something awesome and find it gone.  i have just always used ark as my building game and play dayz in a much different way.  i need to realize that many ppl have a far different playstyle than myself and that the beauty of dayz is that there is no right way to play it. 

i get where you are coming from tho.  if i put in the effort to have an actual base in dayz im sure id prob end up pretty salty about it pretty fast.  

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

fair enough actually.  i can see your point and even agree with you on many points as it can def be frustrating to build something awesome and find it gone.  i have just always used ark as my building game and play dayz in a much different way.  i need to realize that many ppl have a far different playstyle than myself and that the beauty of dayz is that there is no right way to play it. 

i get where you are coming from tho.  if i put in the effort to have an actual base in dayz im sure id prob end up pretty salty about it pretty fast.  

I agree that the sandbox nature makes DayZ such a unique game. Thankfully the massive map of Chernarus lends for different playstyles without it being too obtrusive. Dunno if you ever played Miscreated. That game had a decent balancing for base raiding but suffered from ugly looking bases everywhere on the map. It really took away the immersion.

Last time I constructed a base in Dayz was back with 1.01. Took a long time to build. Got raided a few times. No biggie as they just smacked one wall down, I happily spend some time fixing that. However, one day I logged on to see my whole base dismantled.

First off: Unraidable is bullshit and not the way.

Second:

Play on community servers with basebuilding mods (namely codelock and build anywhere), it's the only way.

Basebuilding in vanilla was always just a roleplaying thing. Look at the early concepts and screenshots: cool to look at, but entirely impractical.

Edited by Buakaw
  • Beans 1

If you want build a base this is quite useless because raiding is too easy. But you can play on the following server. Base damage is disabled. So nobody can shoot or blow up your fences and towers.

[EU] Cheranus | no base damage | Loot+ | Vanilla | IKEA
5.83.170.48:19000

I have some suggestion about base build

We need doors build, to hide out bases better, and have more variants,  because now we can build base in 15% of buildings.