JohnnyLongShovel

Books, bows, and tanning

Hey all new here to the forum. Logged just around ~2600 hours in dayz on PC and actually bought a used xbox just to see how it is on console. Not bad actually. I'm really happy to see DayZ continue to evolve. (Fan for life)

Does anyone have any word on books, bows, and leather tanning coming back into play?

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

Flavor is what the dev's called  books, bows, and leather tanning, and all the other stuff that was once in the game but is no longer in game. 

• Beans 1

Well they said we would have the same stuff that we had in .,62 , and then later we would not get it this year being 2019. And that it was just flavor and not needed in the game  at this time if ever, at less that's how i took there statement at the time

I have the leather tanning mod on my servers but I don't see too much of a use for it because clothing is just too easy to come across, negating the need for leather clothes.

• Beans 1

They did call such stuff 'flavour', but I'm inclined to believe they change their mind following the backlash (they brought back fishing, for example). So the bows (two of them) are already in the game files, while barrels have slots for the actions of tanning and dying. Judging by the could-be-better-could-be-worse pacing in 2019, I'd be really surprised if both features don't appear somewhere in 2020 (don't quote me on that, it's just a gut feeling). We're all in the dark here since the communication with BI is all but non-existent.

I haven't heard about the books. Myself I'm looking forward to notes and permanent map marks. But yeah, recently I was thinking how books could help kill time if you're caught in a heavy storm without proper equipment and just need to sit it out.

• Beans 1

11 hours ago, JohnnyLongShovel said:

Hey all new here to the forum. Logged just around ~2600 hours in dayz on PC and actually bought a used xbox just to see how it is on console. Not bad actually. I'm really happy to see DayZ continue to evolve. (Fan for life)

Does anyone have any word on books, bows, and leather tanning coming back into play?

During a live stream they said bows would come at the very end of development due to the advanced physics and problems with dsync. I expect bows around the same time as aerial vehicles so don't expect them anytime soon. Q4 perhaps...

4 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

barrels have slots for the actions of tanning and dying.

I think they removed the barrel slots for tanning and other stuff. 

3 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

During a live stream they said bows would come at the very end of development due to the advanced physics and problems with dsync. I expect bows around the same time as aerial vehicles so don't expect them anytime soon. Q4 perhaps...

Didn't they mention how long the development is going to take? You seem to imply that they'll be nearing its end at Q4 2020.

Also (since you mention desync), I understand the issues with server performance/stability, I really do. People do various stuff in one given moment and it sure is complicated. What I don't understand is how other games do it so much better, including BI's own Arma. Why do Arma 3 servers support so many airborne units perfectly fine (almost), while our cars go into space each time a couple of people log in?

49 minutes ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

I think they removed the barrel slots for tanning and other stuff. 

I've just checked and you're right! Christ, it was there just recently. I don't know nothing no more. And here I had some hopes for 2020...

6 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I haven't heard about the books. Myself I'm looking forward to notes and permanent map marks. But yeah, recently I was thinking how books could help kill time if you're caught in a heavy storm without proper equipment and just need to sit it out.

Yes! And bringing notes back would be awesome af too

Edited by JohnnyLongShovel
  • Beans 1

They added a designated bow slot and I think tanning is also represented in the barrel ui so it seems likey they are going to add dem stuffs back some day

On 1/17/2020 at 7:13 AM, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Q4 perhaps...

Aerial vehicles and bows? Q4 2021? 2022? 2023? Maybe. This year? No way (bookmark me).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/17/2020 at 2:08 PM, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Didn't they mention how long the development is going to take? You seem to imply that they'll be nearing its end at Q4 2020.

Also (since you mention desync), I understand the issues with server performance/stability, I really do. People do various stuff in one given moment and it sure is complicated. What I don't understand is how other games do it so much better, including BI's own Arma. Why do Arma 3 servers support so many airborne units perfectly fine (almost), while our cars go into space each time a couple of people log in?

No, they didn't. I think it was a stream with Raptor, ImpulZ, and Baty I'm referencing....could be wrong, hard to remember. I'm only guessing on the Q4 based on past performance and what's left, not implying.

In my observations with vehicle sync, I'm not 100% sure it's server related...I think it's a variety of issues. Also, I'm not sure the devs are being truthful 110% of the time. With the way they get treated by the public so poorly, I can't imagine they would tell everyone the truth all the time. Consumer outrage echo-chamber is at an all time high.

Back to vehicle sync and personal observations, in Chernarus there are (or where, I only play Livonia now) these dead zones in specific parts of the map that have been present for a very very long time (years). There is one before you go around the bend near Skalisty (near the crashed bus and body pile), one somewhere after the tracks on that curve on the last stretch to Svetlo, another on the southern road to Dubrovka or Vyshnaya Dubrovka (I forget which it was),  etc. There are more, but those come to mind.

Every single time I would drive in those spots over a certain speed, the vehicle sync would freeze. If you went too fast, you would end up wrecked in a tree. After an update or hotfix (can't remember which or when), instead of the vehicle freezing, it would stutter lag and you could drive through it better. Thats not server performance/stability related because it's the same dang spots over and over. I don't know enough about development to know if it's a navmesh, map design issue (sorry if either of those sounds stupid), or what but those spots were legit dead zones. These observations are on my servers and there was no bases, players, or anything in those area's

Also, I've tested a lot of vehicles and I notice differences between them. Some modded (and stock) vehicles bounce more than others and when they bounce too much, they seemed more inclined to catapult into the air. If you log out (and/or quit the game) and come back in, they're usually fine. Is that server, client, vehicle, or modded vehicle related? Why are some shitty modded vehicles doing this when others are not...consistently? Server issue or design flaw (?) and with vehicle sync issues, you get a mixed bag of symptoms and players can easily misinterpret the results. Servers always get blamed first and I'm sure the devs get their share of that as well. A lot of these car issues are players driving at high speeds. I rarely drive out of 2nd or 3rd gear and never have issues, but I don't drive much so there's that too.

Arma is a totally different and less complex engine, they also didn't develop an entirely new engine during the first few months of EA, with a full team from the jump not ~12 devs like DayZ started with. Arma has like practically zero floating assets in their maps. The rooms are empty, no beds, tables, etc. The environments are sterile asset wise. Also, Arma 3 has been a legit 1.0 release for almost 7 years. DayZ isn't even really a 1.0 release, but more like Beta. Ask some Arma 3 players what Beta and earlier was like and they'll tell you the vehicles behaved like shit. 

On 1/19/2020 at 12:43 AM, -Gews- said:

Aerial vehicles and bows? Q4 2021? 2022? 2023? Maybe. This year? No way (bookmark me).

DayZ Expansion has Aerial vehicles working, I'm pretty sure Bohemia Interactive can cover that ground as well. BI gets a lot of flak, but they're most definitely very talented and full time employee's. 

In my post here...

...I listed many key missing elements in that topic and there really isn't a lot of big ticket items left. Core development will probably leak into 2021, maybe I'm wrong but 2022-2023 is a big stretch to achieve those goals.

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)
  • Beans 1

5 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

DayZ Expansion has Aerial vehicles working, I'm pretty sure Bohemia Interactive can cover that ground as well. BI gets a lot of flak, but they're most definitely very talented and full time employee's. 

In my post here...

...I listed many key missing elements in that topic and there really isn't a lot of big ticket items left. Core development will probably leak into 2021, maybe I'm wrong but 2022-2023 is a big stretch to achieve those goals.

Maybe you're right. But the DayZ Expansion guys scripted simple helis, it's not the same task as a realistic flight model and whatever assorted things devs wish to add to it. I am assuming here that the developers, if they do make them, will be making their helicopters to the same standards as an updated ARMA 2, as ARMA 3, or as the over-complicated DayZ standalone cars. So, not a rush job.

Modders had almost all the missing weapons re-introduced very quickly: "Not A Banana" posted the "WeaponReduxPack" mod on November 7 2018, that was the exact same day that the developers opened the Steam Workshop and released mod tools. Clearly working on it beforehand, but the 0.63 update only came in June 2018, and Arkensor's Community Offline Mode was was only posted in September. So it couldn't have been for that long.

So modders can do it very fast. They can take a model or multiple models and easily add that in a single day. Yet DayZ developers have taken an average of 1+ month per weapon last time I checked. Admittedly, a while ago, but not too much since then either. And there's no estimated time of completion for this, and it's not even known if we'll ever see all the weapons they showed us in their development previews. And that's mostly because the task is larger (animation etc).

DayZ 1.0 release: Dec. 13th, 2018
Fireams in initial release: 12
Days since release: 253
Firearms added since release: 6
Average number of days per newly added firearm: 42

So working helis? You think they can pull it off in 8-12 months? Alright, but I doubt it. In 2021 I will come back to this thread either way.

Edited by -Gews-

On 1/21/2020 at 8:31 PM, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

No, they didn't. I think it was a stream with Raptor, ImpulZ, and Baty I'm referencing....could be wrong, hard to remember. I'm only guessing on the Q4 based on past performance and what's left, not implying.

In my observations with vehicle sync, I'm not 100% sure it's server related...I think it's a variety of issues. Also, I'm not sure the devs are being truthful 110% of the time. With the way they get treated by the public so poorly, I can't imagine they would tell everyone the truth all the time. Consumer outrage echo-chamber is at an all time high.

Amen to that. As a matter of fact, I fully understand their decision to halt communications, at least in the basic, human way, not as corporate conduct. I mean, who'd like to read all this about the project he works on? I'd definitely steer clear of this board if I was hired for DayZ. Whatever the customer relations guy earns, it's probably not enough.

And I imagine most of those people are not on the team since 2013, so yelling at them 'but you promised a long time ago' is likely misdirected and pointless.

Back to vehicle sync and personal observations, in Chernarus there are (or where, I only play Livonia now) these dead zones in specific parts of the map that have been present for a very very long time (years). There is one before you go around the bend near Skalisty (near the crashed bus and body pile), one somewhere after the tracks on that curve on the last stretch to Svetlo, another on the southern road to Dubrovka or Vyshnaya Dubrovka (I forget which it was),  etc. There are more, but those come to mind.

Every single time I would drive in those spots over a certain speed, the vehicle sync would freeze. If you went too fast, you would end up wrecked in a tree. After an update or hotfix (can't remember which or when), instead of the vehicle freezing, it would stutter lag and you could drive through it better. Thats not server performance/stability related because it's the same dang spots over and over. I don't know enough about development to know if it's a navmesh, map design issue (sorry if either of those sounds stupid), or what but those spots were legit dead zones. These observations are on my servers and there was no bases, players, or anything in those area's

I know, I was there! There was a number of such spots on railroads, which I drove on back in the day where they didn't slow you down. Another spot is somewhere close to the big castle near Bogatyrka. One of my trucks wa ssucked into and actually merged with a pile of rocks. I called such places 'a devil's vortex' (when I joined DayZ, I used to joke and pretend that all the bugs are actually anomalies like in Stalker's Zone; it eased the suffering a bit when I lost something important 'because DayZ').

So, they're still there, huh? I never knew what to make of them.

Arma is a totally different and less complex engine, they also didn't develop an entirely new engine during the first few months of EA, with a full team from the jump not ~12 devs like DayZ started with. Arma has like practically zero floating assets in their maps. The rooms are empty, no beds, tables, etc. The environments are sterile asset wise. Also, Arma 3 has been a legit 1.0 release for almost 7 years. DayZ isn't even really a 1.0 release, but more like Beta. Ask some Arma 3 players what Beta and earlier was like and they'll tell you the vehicles behaved like shit. 

OK, floating assets, that's the answer. Been wondering about the reasons for the constant issues. I try to understand the nature and scope of this project, but sometimes I look at other titles and think 'what gives'.

Pity to hear about the bow being pushed to the back. Bows and tanning are still my main wishes, as for the OP. In fact, I could happily live without any aerial vehicles altogether.

Thanks for the reply.

• Beans 2

17 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

OK, floating assets, that's the answer. Been wondering about the reasons for the constant issues. I try to understand the nature and scope of this project, but sometimes I look at other titles and think 'what gives'.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not saying that is the answer, just something I've observed throughout my 8 years playing and modding DayZ. I've got a ton of hours in COM and there are limits to how many items can be placed before the server simply won't start. Maybe that doesn't apply to this conversation due to the nature of how those items are placed (burned in, etc) by BI devs, I don't know enough about development to have steady legs to stand on. In DayZ mod (I know it's a different engine, game, etc) there was like a limit of 144 Ai that could be placed through modding before the server bogged and I know there are limits in SA too with assets. In SA if you put too many infected Ai you'll crash the client in those area's. Obivously like I said ^, this is a completely different game with a different scope, but I'm sure there are some limitations on items.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:23 PM, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

I'm not saying that is the answer, just something I've observed throughout my 8 years playing and modding DayZ. I've got a ton of hours in COM and there are limits to how many items can be placed before the server simply won't start. Maybe that doesn't apply to this conversation due to the nature of how those items are placed (burned in, etc) by BI devs, I don't know enough about development to have steady legs to stand on. In DayZ mod (I know it's a different engine, game, etc) there was like a limit of 144 Ai that could be placed through modding before the server bogged and I know there are limits in SA too with assets. In SA if you put too many infected Ai you'll crash the client in those area's. Obivously like I said ^, this is a completely different game with a different scope, but I'm sure there are some limitations on items.

I'm interested to hear what you make of the current 'roadmap'. You seem to have a level-headed overview of the development process. Any initial thoughts? I must say I was hoping for so much more.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:08 PM, -Gews- said:

So working helis? You think they can pull it off in 8-12 months? Alright, but I doubt it. In 2021 I will come back to this thread either way.

After reading the roadmap, looks like I was being grossly optimistic. I was hoping for many more updates than last year. I based this on early last year predictions from the devs saying they would have more frequent updates and I thought they simply fell short due to issues with persistence and combo locks (which took a lot of time to fix). No need to revisit this in 2021 because we're clearly not getting helicopters or the big ticket items I mentioned. I'll be the first one to admit being wrong and I was definitely wrong.

46 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I'm interested to hear what you make of the current 'roadmap'. You seem to have a level-headed overview of the development process. Any initial thoughts? I must say I was hoping for so much more.

I'm absolutely gutted after reading the roadmap. My stay here has been 90% supportive and the only time I wasn't was last year. I was very vocal about the radio silence during the combo lock ordeal to the point I caught 3 warnings from the brass. I do like to stay positive, but at this point, if I catch another warning I'm out and who knows - maybe get some sort of ban on Steam. We see people all the time getting 'Game Bans' from devs for a variety of reasons including forum behavior. Basically, I can't fully speak my mind in fear of getting axed in the forum and possibly Steam.

Let's leave it at this, I'm not excited for the road ahead in 2020...at all. 

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)
  • Beans 2

On 1/31/2020 at 10:44 AM, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

After reading the roadmap, looks like I was being grossly optimistic. I was hoping for many more updates than last year. I based this on early last year predictions from the devs saying they would have more frequent updates and I thought they simply fell short due to issues with persistence and combo locks (which took a lot of time to fix). No need to revisit this in 2021 because we're clearly not getting helicopters or the big ticket items I mentioned. I'll be the first one to admit being wrong and I was definitely wrong.

It's unfortunate to read. And it's not what we were told.

From "Status Report 6 November 2018":

"Is there any team restructuring going on after the 1.0 release? Are DayZ developers going to be assigned to other teams at Bohemia?"
"No, we are keeping the same resources as we had this year for the year ahead. To be precise, it's 86 people working on DayZ right now."

https://forums.dayz.com/topic/240625-status-report-6-november-2018/

From "DayZ in 2020"

" ... some team members moved to work fully on [Enfusion technology] last June, leaving DayZ with a much smaller development team consisting of seasoned developers across various departments. While this change has obviously affected the overall development ..."

From this week's report it seems like we can expect in 2020:

-return of broken bones 
-return of more old guns
-extra wrecked vehicles on Chernarus

It's not exactly inspiring stuff...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2