slowfast70

Is it allowed to leave a server when...

Hello,

I have been playing Dayz Livonia for a few days now. The last time I played Dayz was about five years ago. It was still a Dayz Mod and I had lost the desire for it because of the cheat problems. I like DayZ Livonia very much as a re-entry so far.  Now I have a question about leaving a server. Am I allowed to leave the server during a player confrontation without losing the character? 

Earlier I was standing at a big bush to observe a city reasonably protected. Suddenly I got a shock.  It felt as if someone was punching me in the neck from behind. I turned around but only saw the bush. At first I thought it might have been a warning because I might have been standing in one place for too long. Then I thought that it could also be a cheater in the invisible Godmod. Then I heard a shot from far away, I could hear the cartridge hitting next to me. I turned around again and could then see a player approaching. Distance estimated 250 m. Because of the DayZ experience of that time my spontaneous reaction was to leave the server immediately. Did I lose my character? I have not logged back in since then. It must have been a sniper with a large sight who could only see me from a distance because details of the plants were hidden. Because actually he didn't have a clear view. A little unfair. The first shot must have been a hit without really hurting me, because I was wearing a light body armour. And maybe the player also used a silencer first. Ok, but is this a legal move? Probably I would have escaped too, if I had run away to hide somewhere.

Legal? Sure. 

Weak? Maybe.

You are new to the game so its understandable if you did to keep your so far gathered loot.

If i were you id stay ingame next time. Its not wise to get attached to gear. You're bound to lose IT at one point. 

If you did to escape a weird damage bug then its oké. 

Dont forget if the Sniper only has a Sniper you can zig and zag his ass and beat him to death. 😉

• Beans 1

When you leave a server, your character remains in place for 15 seconds, so if you were being shot at, most likely that character is now dead.

Next time, just play the game.  Try to evade him, find some cover, try to get the upper hand somehow.

If he kills you, he kills you -- no big deal and as McWendy says, the number one rule in DayZ is don't get attached to your loot because it'll be gone eventually.

• Beans 2

Yeah, I was confused. I just logged back on to the server. I'm still alive. 

I immediately ran into the bushes to avoid being seen. It was raining hard, and I had to run quickly to a small wooden hut. There were also already many zombies present, so that I had to sneak to the hut, because I didn't want a fight. I closed the door behind me. My protective vest and my sweater were demolished by the shots! While I was busy repairing them with the sewing kit, I suddenly heard footsteps. A player ran to this hut and I could hear his breath. If he had opened the door, he could have easily killed me. But then he ran towards a larger tool shed. I wonder if that was the sniper who had been waiting for me all this time and thought I had run to the next building? It's very suspicious that a player was with me so quickly. Lucky for me. 

I'm trying to survive as a hiker. Therefore I collect rare items and put them into a  oil barrel to discover the possibilities of using them. I'm not interested in weapons.  I only carry a pistol for self-defense. I can't stand those militant psychopaths who shoot at everything that is making a move 🙂 Maybe this sniper saw that I had a binocular ...

It's allowed on official servers. On many private servers other players can report you to the admins who may ban you for "combat logging".

Hi, thanks for the answers, by the way. You say that it's not good to get attached to the equipment because it might get lost at some point. But the game would be of no interest to me if I didn't try to keep my stuff together for survival. So right now I have two oil barrels in different places as a backup. For the road I keep rather rare items in my backpack. If I have to escape in an emergency, I try to throw the backpack away unseen so that I can continue running. If I get killed, I can later try to find the backpack again with a little luck. I have six hours time for that. 

Recently in an emergency situation I did not even think about the backpack anymore. On the way to an abandoned city ruin I suddenly heard the howling of wolves. I thought: wow, that sounds pretty scary. Then I saw a wolf and watched from a tree where it was heading. Then I was already surrounded by several wolves who attacked me tactically. Eventually I was so hurt that I fainted. I woke up again shortly and would have had some time to throw the backpack off, but I was overwhelmed by the situation that the wolves will eat me. It ran cold across my back.
About 2 hours later I came back to the same place. I only heard a few flies there. Probably the wolves had eaten my corpse completely and the backpack with it 🙂

Sure you can collect and appreciate gear. I do too. I live the Woodland LIFE in dayZ and can get excited when i see a cooking pot or smth similar. 

We just meant dont be afraid to stay ingame if you are under fire. Just for the sake of keeping what you found so far. 

After a while the best feeling in dayZ is starting fresh. 

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

Ok, I just died and lost everything. I was just at one of my oil barrels exchanging objects. A guy approached me from behind. I just heard the gun go off and then this loud bang. It took a week to get a map, compass, binoculars, camping stove, etc. together. And I had to walk around the places for many hours every day. Well, bad luck, that's the game. But I can't agree that it feels good to have to start all over again 🙂

• Like 1

If you play on a high population server, you will find that players treat the game like a deathmatch game. Just watch many of the videos out there by the people that regularly play. If you want a survival experience and a chance to build and experience the game, you'll need a lower population PVE server. 

I ve seen servers just for deathmatch. I play on a low ping server for 60 players, persistant on and first-person view only. The server is most of the time busy, I have to wait in a queue at the beginning. May be the deathmatch people use these servers for target practice 🙂

One question: where do I find worms for fishing? With my last character I was able to cut worms out of zombies. But now I cant find a zombie with worms any more!

Just now, slowfast70 said:

One question: where do I find worms for fishing? With my last character I was able to cut worms out of zombies. But now I cant find a zombie with worms any more!

You can dig them up from the ground with a shovel.

Yeah, you can also do this with a knife. You just have to look really down. When I killed a zombie, it fell down in front of me and I looked down. It looked like I was cutting the worms out of the zombie, not digging them out of the ground.

Could it be that the fishing has a bug? I can't put a worm on a hook. So I hold the rod in my hand and put the worm on the fishing hook (combine), but the rectangle remains red and no worm appears on the fishing hook. If I fish anyway, I obviously risk ruining the fishhook. I held 5 minutes the fishing button, but nothing happened. Am I only allowed to fish at certain times (daytime)?

Edited by slowfast70

5 hours ago, slowfast70 said:

Could it be that the fishing has a bug? I can't put a worm on a hook. So I hold the rod in my hand and put the worm on the fishing hook (combine), but the rectangle remains red and no worm appears on the fishing hook. If I fish anyway, I obviously risk ruining the fishhook. I held 5 minutes the fishing button, but nothing happened. Am I only allowed to fish at certain times (daytime)?

You're supposed to combine the worm and the hook in your hands. Sometimes the game cares about the combining order, sometimes it doesn't (i.e. sometimes it matters which of the combinable items you need to hold in hands). Only then take the rod to hands and 'apply' the improvised bait. The rest should work as normal. You can fish at any time.

Enjoy your catch!

I will deinstall the game. I was in the deep forest far away from cities or roads surroundes by many trees and plants. I roasted meat over the fire. After I finished, I watched the fire cross-legged in a relaxed mode. Suddenly the frame rate has dropped dramatically. I got up to check if it's a bug. Then the shot was fired. Dead. It must have been a hacker (on an official server). Like in the past,  a player suddenly appears out of nowhere, invisible.  Same reason I stopped playing this game five years ago. Too bad game developers aren't able to get a handle on the cheater problem.

Edited by slowfast70

On 1/6/2020 at 6:12 PM, slowfast70 said:

I will deinstall the game. I was in the deep forest far away from cities or roads surroundes by many trees and plants. I roasted meat over the fire. After I finished, I watched the fire cross-legged in a relaxed mode. Suddenly the frame rate has dropped dramatically. I got up to check if it's a bug. Then the shot was fired. Dead. It must have been a hacker (on an official server). Like in the past,  a player suddenly appears out of nowhere, invisible.  Same reason I stopped playing this game five years ago. Too bad game developers aren't able to get a handle on the cheater problem.

Try low pop community servers, maybe even some PVE servers.

I have found a more peaceful place with much less shooting and wolves (same 60 player server). Now I can hear more species of birds, even the chirping of my favourite summer bird is there and at night owls in the forest. It would be nice if you could watch the birds with binoculars 😉 I like to stalk around in the landscape and listen to the sounds of nature, but always with some danger in the neck. 

Like yesterday: I wanted to run to my old oil barrel to get things. It would have taken maybe 4 hours (btw. where are the bicycles?). When I wanted to start walking, it started to rain. So I had to wait first. The rain lasted about an hour! I can't know that before. It could have been just a shower. Then halfway through my tour I discovered a military installation. I decided to explore it. I had to overcome certain dangers, but I happened to find the magazine there that I had been looking for a long time. I had already put the weapon for it in the new oil barrel (sg5-k). I changed my plan and walked back to my new oil barrel, which again took about an hour. Exactly in the moment when I put the gun and the magazine together at the oil barrel, I heard the quick steps of a player behind me. Shot and dead. I had no chance. He must have seen me running into the bushes from a distance. Pretty annoying! Meanwhile I found a bear trap and installed it at the oil barrel. I hope he comes back to look into the oil barrel again and breaks his bones! 🙂 

Be more aware of your surroundings. Best to stop every now and then to Just observe the route you came from and where you going. 

It wasnt a hacker (cheater maybe hackers have reall skills) 

Big Bullets and big guns means nothing more but an instant you are dead. 

Another tip (not a big one and probably obvious) dont stand still. Doesn't guarantee not getting headshotted but it does stop every bad player headshotting you.

When is a bear trap removed? The oil barrel was open and the bear trap was gone. Someone was back. Is the trap removed the moment you leave the server? Unfortunately, I can't tell if the player fell into the trap.

In the meantime I found the usg-45 and after a few hours on a military site I also found the magazine for it. I actually move much more cautiously now. After I found the magazine, it started raining again and I had to wait. I wanted to go back to my "home location".  Finally the rain stopped and I could start walking. But then suddenly the howling of wolves! My forearms got cold immediately! I am so scared! I play with a 5.1 surround sound system and it sounds damn realistic. I need a break ...

• Like 1

Are there any night vision goggles in the game? I died again with all my equipment. In the middle of the night, completely dark, I had to walk across a field. Then I hear someone running from behind again. Dead. It's not the loss of the equipment that upsets me, but the loss of the time I spent getting it all together. The players always come from behind...

48 minutes ago, slowfast70 said:

Are there any night vision goggles in the game? I died again with all my equipment. In the middle of the night, completely dark, I had to walk across a field. Then I hear someone running from behind again. Dead. It's not the loss of the equipment that upsets me, but the loss of the time I spent getting it all together. The players always come from behind...

So do more 360 checks.

Pause and hide in a Bush for a minute. Chances are the Guy who follows lost you. Now you can follow him 🙂

yes NVG is ingame.

It was really dark because there was no moon shining. I could not even see bales of straw on the big field. Only my compass, a few stars and the edges of tree tops for orientation. I am for banishing the night vision devices.  The nights are short and most of the time they are relatively brightly illuminated by the moon. If someone wants to go hunting in the night, he should use the moon nights. But there must be a chance to be able to bring equipment from one place to another. Dark nights for a breather, so to speak.

Edited by slowfast70

17 hours ago, slowfast70 said:

It was really dark because there was no moon shining. I could not even see bales of straw on the big field. Only my compass, a few stars and the edges of tree tops for orientation. I am for banishing the night vision devices. 

I'm vehemently against NVG, too, but your description begs a question - what kind of light were you using at the time? If you did so much as having a glowstick on hotkey and taking it out from the backpack every now and then, the guy could still easily spot you. If you didn't, he might have been an NVG user or a hacker, sure.

I understand that you were traversing the field with no light, but if you had used it earlier, he might have caught wind of your presence and targetted your silhoutte against the sky (pretty doable in the open). An interesting story, I wonder myself what happened.

1 hour ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I'm vehemently against NVG, too, but your description begs a question - what kind of light were you using at the time? If you did so much as having a glowstick on hotkey and taking it out from the backpack every now and then, the guy could still easily spot you. If you didn't, he might have been an NVG user or a hacker, sure.

I understand that you were traversing the field with no light, but if you had used it earlier, he might have caught wind of your presence and targetted your silhoutte against the sky (pretty doable in the open). An interesting story, I wonder myself what happened.

Could be a gamma monitor thing.

I mean i almost never use light sources unless i WANT An interaction. And never feel that i cant see anything without it.

Its Just not that dark for me. (No havent fiddled with brightness or gamma. 

So maybe hardware comes into play? 

There's no reason why night should be pitch black and especially in an open field. Shooting someone at night is simply doable, no need to yell hackers. Worst thing a player can do is assume I'm safe because it's night, there is no shooting nearby, edge of the map or you haven't met someone for half an hour. There is ALWAYS someone nearby 😉 move with healthy dose of paranoia. 

Edited by William Sternritter
  • Beans 1