NachoNinjaGnome

Finite Fuel

One thing the bugs me, to know end, about DayZ, is this infinite fuel supply accessible across the map.  Kind of make it difficult to create an apocalyptic feel when everyone is traversing the map via vehicles with no worry about fuel consumption.  We can, already, use the settings in various files to reduce the prevalence of food and ammunition, but not gasoline.  The only way that I found to do this is to block the pumps with static objects so that they are inaccessible, and sell jerrycans at the trader for a high price, or force players to hunt spawned jerrycans.  This solution is, not only, unrealistic, but immersion breaking.  I believe I have come up with a viable solution, that I am not certain can be modded in but, could certainly be coded into the vanilla game.

1.  Create static reservoirs connected to a station's pumps that begin with a random (or designated via server settings) amount of fuel contained within.  As players fill their receptacles with that fuel, the reservoir will deplete, eventually, becoming empty.  

2.  Set vehicles to spawn with a random amount of fuel in their tanks.  It's just unrealistic to have every driveable vehicle dry as a bone.

3.  Make static wrecks have gas tanks with random contents of their own.

4.  Have gasoline drums spawn with random amounts of gasoline.

5.  Create a feature that allows players to siphon fuel from any container.

6.  Implement a system of biofuel creation.

7.  Implement a system of converting vehicles to run on straight biofuel or hydrogen (water is plentiful).

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Anything should start with vehicules working properly 😙

Also your ideas are good for the major part.

But :

"1.  Create static reservoirs connected to a station's pumps that begin with a random (or designated via server settings) amount of fuel contained within.  As players fill their receptacles with that fuel, the reservoir will deplete, eventually, becoming empty.  "

When empty, it's empty forever? Untill server restart? Untill next update? Owned by CLE as any other loots?

Edited by S.Kaneda

These are interesting ideas, but a bit overkill as a fix for the problem and let's face it, Bohemia will never implement any of them.

I would say a simpler solution is to convert the gasoline pump into a receptacle similar to the water bottle.  Server owners can adjust how much water will be inside of a lootable water bottle -- just do the same for fuel pumps and add some randomness to it, even 0% to 100% if you want, so that each gas station would have a different amount of fuel at each pump and some may even be completely empty, which would be much more realistic.

I do agree about the bone dry cars though -- the same thing should be applied there -- each spawned car should contain anywhere from 0 to 100% fuel.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:08 PM, S.Kaneda said:

Anything should start with vehicules working properly 😙

Also your ideas are good for the major part.

But :

"1.  Create static reservoirs connected to a station's pumps that begin with a random (or designated via server settings) amount of fuel contained within.  As players fill their receptacles with that fuel, the reservoir will deplete, eventually, becoming empty.  "

When empty, it's empty forever? Untill server restart? Untill next update? Owned by CLE as any other loots?

Yes, empty "forever", or until server RESET.  If it were only until RESTART, there wouldn't be anybody fighting over gasoline.  The aim, is to encourage PvP.  If gasoline is a finite resource, then players will have to ration their use and fight over stockpiles.  Such a feature wouldn't matter much on vanilla servers as they're all on the public hive.

On 10/6/2019 at 8:12 PM, drgullen said:

These are interesting ideas, but a bit overkill as a fix for the problem and let's face it, Bohemia will never implement any of them.

I would say a simpler solution is to convert the gasoline pump into a receptacle similar to the water bottle.  Server owners can adjust how much water will be inside of a lootable water bottle -- just do the same for fuel pumps and add some randomness to it, even 0% to 100% if you want, so that each gas station would have a different amount of fuel at each pump and some may even be completely empty, which would be much more realistic.

I do agree about the bone dry cars though -- the same thing should be applied there -- each spawned car should contain anywhere from 0 to 100% fuel.

Idk about "overkill".  It really depends on how scarce you want resources to be on your server.  And I never expect BI to implement any of my ideas, even though, they have in the past.  Just trying to do my part, as a player, to help improve the game.  Though, having each pump as their own receptacle wouldn't be very realistic.  Irl, all pumps at a gas station are connected to the same reservoir.  And some of these in game gas stations have, as many as, four pumps (though there might be one or two with more, idk).

7 hours ago, Blafirelli said:

Yay, woodgas cars FTW!

7r65h30z2kpy.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&au

YES!!!... though, converting a car to run on hydrogen is FAR less complicated.

Similar solution as the helicopter randomization: Only several, or how ever many you deem fit, gas stations have fuel reservoirs. They persist through restarts until empty, and get randomized once cleared by the CLE. Gotta be able to siphon from wrecks! Gasoline is quite volatile, so most tanks should have 0-5% left. You should feel lucky to find anything that's 50% or more full.

On 10/9/2019 at 3:12 PM, NachoNinjaGnome said:

The aim, is to encourage PvP.  If gasoline is a finite resource, then players will have to ration their use and fight over stockpiles.

Okay, you don't need to implement mechanics to encourage PVP.   There's no lack of motivation to kill each other.  Do you ever play on public servers?

On 10/6/2019 at 5:50 PM, NachoNinjaGnome said:

and sell jerrycans at the trader for a high price, or force players to hunt spawned jerrycans.  This solution is, not only, unrealistic, but immersion breaking.  I believe I have come up with a viable solution, that I am not certain can be modded in but, could certainly be coded into the vanilla game.

Please, no.  Not in the vanilla game. No traders please.  Limited fuel is not a good idea for a hive system.  If I wanted to encourage server hopping, I would support this idea.  

Immersion breaking? Really?  Right now we need to have stable, persistent cars.

DayZ isn't being about realistic.  Having unlimited fuel doesn't diminish the authentic vibe of a zombie MMO.  Just like how it doesn't take months to grow vegetables in-game.

8 hours ago, Parazight said:

Limited fuel is not a good idea for a hive system.  If I wanted to encourage server hopping, I would support this idea. 

This is a good point and one that I hadn't considered.  If you ran into enough empty gas stations, you'd be saying "F this server" in no time.

I agree though that before we worry about this, we need cars that don't suddenly turn into catapults when a server lag spike hits.

10 hours ago, Parazight said:

Okay, you don't need to implement mechanics to encourage PVP.   There's no lack of motivation to kill each other.  Do you ever play on public servers?

Please, no.  Not in the vanilla game. No traders please.  Limited fuel is not a good idea for a hive system.  If I wanted to encourage server hopping, I would support this idea.  

Immersion breaking? Really?  Right now we need to have stable, persistent cars.

DayZ isn't being about realistic.  Having unlimited fuel doesn't diminish the authentic vibe of a zombie MMO.  Just like how it doesn't take months to grow vegetables in-game.

I said nothing about "need" for encouraging PvP.  This is simply a desire for my own, low-pop server.  And no, I don't play public servers, haven't for, well over, a year.  I've got my 1000+ hours on vanilla and have moved on to broader horizons.

Also, nobody said anything about putting traders in the vanilla game, nor was it implied that the finite fuel settings be applied to the official vanilla servers.  My proposition was to implement the mechanic.  Fuel spawn probabilities and specifications for when and if the reservoirs replenished would be controlled by server owners.  There are FAR more community servers than there are official servers.  For all I care, the vanilla servers can keep fuel pumps as is.  But the ability to adjust such settings would be greatly beneficial to gameplay on community servers.  Most players prefer private shards anyway, as it eliminates the possibility for server hopping.

13 hours ago, NachoNinjaGnome said:

Also, nobody said anything about putting traders in the vanilla game, nor was it implied that the finite fuel settings be applied to the official vanilla servers

On 10/6/2019 at 5:50 PM, NachoNinjaGnome said:

I believe I have come up with a viable solution, that I am not certain can be modded in but, could certainly be coded into the vanilla game.

The idea of finite fuel isn't terrible, I'll give you that.  In fact, I would encourage it for private and modded servers.  However, the likelihood of BI designing the mechanic and then not use it is quite unlikely.

13 hours ago, NachoNinjaGnome said:

Most players prefer private shards anyway,  as it eliminates the possibility for server hopping.

Oh?  Where do you get this information?  Do you have metrics to share?  Most people prefer private shards because of server hopping?  This is hard to believe given the new meta that discourages server hopping.