Sign in to follow this  
Kent Gissing

Port Forward - what a mess

Alright, I am in desperate need of help because this is driving me really nuts.

My local server won't show up in the communities tab no matter what I do. I have port forwarded, both trying a TCP/UDP rule for all ports and then separate rules for either; neither attempt works.
I have tried port triggering, doesn't seem to work either.
I have adjusted firewall down to low in order to avoid any unintentional blockage. No dice.
I have rebooted the router multiple times. Zip.
I have been on the phone with clueless agents working at my ISP. As if they could be of any service...

Server says it is on my PC at port 2302, but it just won't show up in the communities tab. I CAN however connect to it locally as it is on the same PC as I myself am playing on, so it still shows up in the LAN tab.

According to online port testers, port 2302 is closed, but in a third party application that I downloaded from pcwintech, port 2302 is open, both for TCP and UDP. In fact, the Simple Port Tester software is telling me that all ports in the list below are open, and yet.. nothing is showing up in the communities tab. It doesn't make any sense here and it is driving me FUCKING CRAZY!!

I know these ports need to be open, so for what it's worth, they are all open.
TCP: 2302,27015-27030,27036-27037
UDP: 2302,4380,27000-27031,27036

Does ANYONE out there know what the problem could be? I need a port forwarding GENIUS to make this work.

Edited by Kent Gissing

53 minutes ago, Kent Gissing said:

TCP: 2302,27015-27030,27036-27037
UDP: 2302,4380,27000-27031,27036

Those ports and not "correct". Do not forward random ports especially not if they are from some random "tutorial".

You essentially have two ports per server instance that are required for full game availability. For once the game port and the steam query port. The default values for those are 2302 and 27016 (Both UDP). 

When hosting from a residential network you need to forward those ports in your ISP issued router aswell.

If you forwarded all those ports correctly in the servers Windows firewall and in your router and no other external firewall is in effect, your ISP might block inbound connections on that port. In that case you are just out of luck and need to rent a server or switch your ISP.

2 hours ago, Kent Gissing said:

Wait... how do I port forward "in the server"? I have only ported forward in the router settings.

through the servers firewall

3 hours ago, aux7 said:

through the servers firewall

Do you mean the Windows firewall? On the computer that the server is located on?

Edited by Kent Gissing

5 hours ago, Kent Gissing said:

Do you mean the Windows firewall? On the computer that the server is located on?

yes. the specific ports on both the pc the server is on and the router need to be open.

6 hours ago, aux7 said:

yes. the specific ports on both the pc the server is on and the router need to be open.

Ok. Yeah, those are open. There isn't anything you are supposed to do in the server files? Like, change lines of text anywhere or something?

31 minutes ago, Kent Gissing said:

Ok. Yeah, those are open. There isn't anything you are supposed to do in the server files? Like, change lines of text anywhere or something?

no, that should already be in the config file

Damn it. I got ahold of my ISP and they said they aren't blocking anything on their end that relates to the specific ports. Still, nothing works.

1 hour ago, Kent Gissing said:

Damn it. I got ahold of my ISP and they said they aren't blocking anything on their end that relates to the specific ports. Still, nothing works.

you are on the lan of your server no? Can you see it on your LAN?

Get a friend to check if your server is on the communities network, thats how I checked mine, and mine is working fine . . . I couldnt see my server on the communities either. only lan

Do you have your steam port defined in your serverDZ.cfg?

On 9/24/2019 at 6:29 PM, aux7 said:

you are on the lan of your server no? Can you see it on your LAN?

Get a friend to check if your server is on the communities network, thats how I checked mine, and mine is working fine . . . I couldnt see my server on the communities either. only lan

Yes, it is on my LAN. Oh really? 😮 It doesn't show up for you in the communities either? Do you run the game on the same pc you use to play on? Because I have mine running locally on the same rig that I am playing on. Do you have the same setup? I have mainly watched a bunch of youtube videos about porting forward in dayZ where they have checked in game to see their server showing up in the communities tab and I much assumed that it would work for me in the same way. But they might have run it on a separate pc, come to think of it.

21 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

Do you have your steam port defined in your serverDZ.cfg?

You mean the whole  "steamQueryPort = 2305; // defines Steam query port, should fix the issue with server not being visible in client server browser"  -thing that is an extra parameter you can add in the serverDZ file?

Because, yeah, I tried that too but it had no effect.

4 minutes ago, Kent Gissing said:

Yes, it is on my LAN. Oh really? 😮 It doesn't show up for you in the communities either? Do you run the game on the same pc you use to play on? Because I have mine running locally on the same rig that I am playing on. Do you have the same setup? I have mainly watched a bunch of youtube videos about porting forward in dayZ where they have checked in game to see their server showing up in the communities tab and I much assumed that it would work for me in the same way. But they might have run it on a separate pc, come to think of it.

You mean the whole  "steamQueryPort = 2305; // defines Steam query port, should fix the issue with server not being visible in client server browser"  -thing that is an extra parameter you can add in the serverDZ file?

Because, yeah, I tried that too but it had no effect.

When on the same machine as the server, you will never be able to see it on the community tab.

13 hours ago, Kent Gissing said:

As long as you and the server pc are on your local lan you will never see it on the communities. I have a server running on the same PC I play on (not the Hawke server, that runs on fragnet), just as you do. As I said, I had to get a friend to check if i was on the communities . . . You could also check the server monitoring sites, my homeserver also appears there

re the steam query port, it wont help . .. . just opening the firewall and router ports and you should be good to go . .. if you want send me a pm and I can check it for you when you boot it up .. .

I also encountered the same problem. I use it on google could. I added the port as per the guide. But when I modified the steport port and added everything to the server, I still didn't show up in the server list. I checked my server. I can't find it on salauncher.
https://dayzsalauncher.com/#/servercheck Anyone have the correct methods of use? That will make the server Online listing

Helped a guy out the other night with port forward issues. He had a modem and a router between him and the internet. The fix was port ANY -> Game ports in modem to get to router. Game port -> Game port in router to get to server. 

On 9/26/2019 at 9:09 AM, aux7 said:

As long as you and the server pc are on your local lan you will never see it on the communities. I have a server running on the same PC I play on (not the Hawke server, that runs on fragnet), just as you do. As I said, I had to get a friend to check if i was on the communities . . . You could also check the server monitoring sites, my homeserver also appears there

re the steam query port, it wont help . .. . just opening the firewall and router ports and you should be good to go . .. if you want send me a pm and I can check it for you when you boot it up .. .

I wanna thank you. After you tipped me off I got a buddy to check if he could find my server in communities off-site and he could.  Just one question, if you use the same server pc to play on at the same time, how many players can play on a server pc before the system starts to lag beyond efficiency?
And I know it's most likely down to system specs. Here are mine:

CONNECTION:
300 Mbit/s down - 10 Mbit/s up

CPU:
Intel Core i7-6700 Skylake 3.40 Ghz

GPU:
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8Gb Memory

RAM:
Crucial DDR4 2133Mhz 4Gb x4 (16Gb)

Edited by Kent Gissing

5 hours ago, Kent Gissing said:

I wanna thank you. After you tipped me off I got a buddy to check if he could find my server in communities off-site and he could.  Just one question, if you use the same server pc to play on at the same time, how many players can play on a server pc before the system starts to lag beyond efficiency?
And I know it's most likely down to system specs. Here are mine:

CONNECTION:
300 Mbit/s down - 10 Mbit/s up

CPU:
Intel Core i7-6700 Skylake 3.40 Ghz

GPU:
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8Gb Memory

RAM:
Crucial DDR4 2133Mhz 4Gb x4 (16Gb)

Unfortunately I cannot give a good answer on that, both are low pop servers, highest number of players at any one time was two on the home server . . . 

On 10/3/2019 at 6:55 PM, aux7 said:

Unfortunately I cannot give a good answer on that, both are low pop servers, highest number of players at any one time was two on the home server . . . 

Interesting, what happened after that? Like, could you add more and it just got really laggy, or did the game prevent you from adding more people entirely?

And about ports in general, is it like one port per player that connects or can multiple people connect through the same port?

On 10/5/2019 at 2:15 AM, Kent Gissing said:

Interesting, what happened after that? Like, could you add more and it just got really laggy, or did the game prevent you from adding more people entirely?

No, its just I didnt want to allow more on my main work computer. I will be trying it out on another server spec pc later. We shall see how it goes. We will transfer from a fragnet server to a home server. but still the max player pop of that server is currently ten to fifteen players over a day . . ... 

On 10/5/2019 at 2:15 AM, Kent Gissing said:

And about ports in general, is it like one port per player that connects or can multiple people connect through the same port?

Once the ports are open, its as many as you like, but you are dependant on the connection speed ... data transfer rates and I dont yet know how that will limit things. I dont yet have a feel for the numbers.

On 9/28/2019 at 2:20 AM, Faddy Theerawirot said:

I also encountered the same problem. I use it on google could. I added the port as per the guide. But when I modified the steport port and added everything to the server, I still didn't show up in the server list. I checked my server. I can't find it on salauncher.
https://dayzsalauncher.com/#/servercheck Anyone have the correct methods of use? That will make the server Online listing

late reply, but you need to open the ports in the google cloud console. The network access is most likely defaulted to the remote desktop port only (I think its 3389). 

Are you using the router that your internet company supplied you? I had this same issue when I started my server. 

What I had to do is buy a new router from best buy, cause the router they supplied is a BS. Hook that router up to the first port in the supplied router, then log into supplied router and go into advance setting to see it the router detect it. if it did then edit its profile to use the lowest firewall setting as possible. Can't remember what its called it, (DO NOT use the port form the games list "on the router")Then hit save.

Now connect your pc to the personal router and all other pc in your house to the personal router then go to your new personal router and set or turn off the firewall there.

(you may have to reset both routers, if you do turn both of them off, then turn the supplied router on first and wait forever for it to fully load, then turn on you personal router.)  

Plus don't forget to set you server pc firewall to home, Widows 7 - 10 loves to lock "everything" down. (but a teenage daughter)

Edited by freaks_r_us