Lore thread

What do we know about the lore rn? Dumping some old info.

On 12 March 2013, a prion disease and spreads among the worlds population triggering a global pandemic The disease causes proteins in the brain to be replaced with prions ceasing regular function Most people progress to dementia and then death as the brain is replaced with ineffective sludge 86% of the worlds population die Some survive with the disease in a chronic state. Lacking regular brain function, they are scarely human. They are unable to communicate, driven by insatiable desire for violence, and attracted to the scent of those uninfected Society crumbles as the pandemic spreads rapidly You are one of the 2% who are not infected yet. - from the original mod's files.

Hall’s brother, a virologist, “geeked out” and wrote a 20-page manuscript for the zombie virus. Deciding that something rabies-based would be too easy, the two investigated Toxoplasmosis, a neurological infection that causes mice to be sexually attracted to cats. It’s also theorized to have an effect on humans, perhaps cat ladies. The Hall brothers have decided on a name for the virus, but consider it one of the surprises for the game’s launch. - as Hall said himself.

Pic related has screenshots from the trailer. Judging by these the infection's been going on for at least five years. If Dean's original year of the infection start is still 2013, then we're supposed to be surviving in 2018 or later.

632utl6pfrl21.png?width=1200&height=628.

Are the origins of the virus still the same? Is it the prion disease or is it something else, like a rage infection in 28 Days Later?

why there is guns in every house and barns?
all the civilians had a gun and bullets?
if i go in any server...i find about 3 pistols,few shotguns and rifle in 30 minutes...bullets also in every shelf or sofa.
really dont understand all the lore things.
is there really immersive server what try to bring the lore alive?

2 hours ago, kopo79 said:

why there is guns in every house and barns?
all the civilians had a gun and bullets?

They hand-waved it with some kind of civil war or other kind of unrest in South Zagoria. It's still BS in my opinion, I doubt you'd find the same amount of guns even in nowadays Afghanistan (citation needed), but that's what they went with.

They could have as well put a minigun in each house and said everyone was big on the original Predator.

• Beans 1

10 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

They hand-waved it with some kind of civil war or other kind of unrest in South Zagoria.

Probably the conflict that happened in Arma 2. Timeline wise DayZ happens somewhere after that Arma story.

7 hours ago, haxordie said:

a prion disease and spreads among the worlds population triggering a global pandemic The disease causes proteins in the brain to be replaced with prions ceasing regular function 

Hall’s brother, a virologist, “geeked out” and wrote a 20-page manuscript for the zombie virus. 

Understanding of "prion" not strong in this lore. It's not a virus...

Sorry, just feeling pedantic.

10 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

They hand-waved it with some kind of civil war or other kind of unrest in South Zagoria. It's still BS in my opinion, I doubt you'd find the same amount of guns even in nowadays Afghanistan (citation needed), but that's what they went with.

I wouldn''t say there are that many guns in houses or that it's unusual for a rural village to have several residents who own shotguns or hunting rifles. There's supposed to be plenty of wildlife in Chernarus. Also yeah, Arma 2 is canon to DayZ, so are Bohemia's early games, like Operation Flashpoint (Guba's statues are in the game).

5 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

Understanding of "prion" not strong in this lore. It's not a virus...

I think it was Hall's original version of zeds' disease and his brother may have corrected him, because yeah, prion disease is about proteins, not viruses

4 hours ago, haxordie said:

I wouldn''t say there are that many guns in houses or that it's unusual for a rural village to have several residents who own shotguns or hunting rifles. There's supposed to be plenty of wildlife in Chernarus.

For me it boils down to gun control. Coming from Poland, I think I can tell how gun control works both in the European continent and in the Soviet/post-Soviet area. Both cultures are/were actually very strict on guns, looking from the US. I wouldn't expect that many guns in rural Georgia/Kazakhstan/Armenia, but I may me wrong, I've never been there.

Googling for just a moment, I found this article from 2016. Kazakhstan strengthens restrictions on gun ownership http://central.asia-news.com/en_GB/articles/cnmi_ca/features/2016/08/25/feature-01

According to it, out of 18.5 mil Kazakhs, "about 235,000 citizens owned about 284,000 firearms". That's one gun per 65 people.

Yes, I understand Kazakshtan is not South Zagoria, no need to point it out. I just wanted to say that from the Eastern European/post-Soviet perspective, Chernarus definitely goes with guns well beyond what I would expect from a realm "like that" (even considering that it deteriorated into a failed state even before the outbreak). Besides, hunting doesn't explain handguns. Hence the impression of hand-waving for the purposes of gun fun (and look, I find this decision understandable and I could defend it, too).

You being right with that "plenty of wildlife", I would expect at least one fishing rod in each household.

• Beans 1

5 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Yes, I understand Kazakshtan is not South Zagoria, no need to point it out. I just wanted to say that from the Eastern European/post-Soviet perspective, Chernarus definitely goes with guns well beyond what I would expect from a realm "like that" (even considering that it deteriorated into a failed state even before the outbreak). Besides, hunting doesn't explain handguns. Hence the impression of hand-waving for the purposes of gun fun (and look, I find this decision understandable and I could defend it, too).

Fair point. I agree that they should lower the amount of guns present or add weapons that are more likely to be used by the locals (double-barreled shotguns). I'd prefer scarcer resources in general to increase difficulty.

But at the same time, according to Hall's early concepts, the outbreak's been going on for 2 years at least. I guess the locals got armed to protect themselves against the infected. Still, too many guns.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, haxordie said:

Fair point. I agree that they should lower the amount of guns present or add weapons that are more likely to be used by the locals (double-barreled shotguns). In general, I'd prefer scarcer resources in general to increase difficulty.

But at the same time, according to Hall's early concepts, the outbreak's been going on for 2 years at least. I guess the locals got armed to protect themselves against the infected. Still, too many guns.

also those places where you can find guns should be checked.
i dont understand why locals left their pistols on sofa:D
maybe would be better that infected carry weapons....civilian buildings almost none.

A lot of the 'lore' of DayZ got chopped about once the renaming patch came through. I'd like some more bits and pieces around that signify an Armaverse connection, like how the CR75 was previously stating that it was made in Kirovograd in another part of Chernarus. Miss bits like that.