LnS247

[Suggestion] Weapon lineage

Hi.

An idea I floated to some friends earlier regarding weapon lineage added to the game.

Allow me to explain.  The general idea is when a weapon is looted for the very first time (ie: when it spawns), the player who first looted the weapon have their name "engraved" on it.

Whenever the weapon passes hands, the new recipient has their name "engraved" on it.  All previous owners' names remain.

As far as the engraving,  I haven't thought about it too much but it wouldn't be difficult to come up with a way to access a list of past owners of the weapon.

Also,  a certain criteria must be met before the next player can engrave their name.  This would prevent players from passing the weapon around quickly just to spam names.

Imagine getting in a gun battle,  killing the enemy, then looting them and finding an M4 on their body with your name on it or the name(s) of friends or other players that you might know or heard of.  And of course the weapon could be lost if it despawns.

I'm aware that this isn't a gameplay suggestion but it would add an interesting dimension to the game.  History.   Lineage.

Some weapons would end up becoming ancient.  

What does the community think of this?

Suggestions always welcome.

Thanks

Edited by LnS247
Typo

My party thought it would be cool that each player had dog tags that recorded in game days alive and distanced traveled. So if you killed a player you would see their name and how long they survived for.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

That is a great idea as well.  Tags with stats.

"Whoa, that player was alive for a year!"

Back in DayZ mod for Arma II, I recall that it kept track of blood count in real time, days survived, kills and maybe other stats.  I'd have to go look at some old clips to remember properly.

Again, great suggestion with the tags.

The 1.04 update on PC now shows your statistics on the main menu, like how many hours/days you survived, etc, of course along the tips on upper screen corner.

Wonder why didn't reached console though.

7 hours ago, Ryan JG said:

My party thought it would be cool that each player had dog tags that recorded in game days alive and distanced traveled. So if you killed a player you would see their name and how long they survived for.

This is better than op

• Like 1

I'm a stat nerd and I floated a similar idea to my buddies before of having each weapon having it's own unique serial number. This # could then be looked up to see all that stats of this weapon. 

Number of owners, kills, rounds fired... etc...

But I like the idea of being able to engrave/mark a weapon as well.

7 hours ago, MarczXD320 said:

The 1.04 update on PC now shows your statistics on the main menu, like how many hours/days you survived, etc, of course along the tips on upper screen corner.

Wonder why didn't reached console though.

They didn’t reach console because the stats don’t work, yet. They are just placeholders, really.

OPs idea is cool, but it seems too complicated to implement. Also, being able to know all the previous gun owners... It’s the kind of gameplay meta, that DayZ tries to avoid.

I didn't actually mean engraving I just meant the weapon is tagged with the owner's name somehow.

I like the dog tag idea a lot.

The serial number on a gun would be the best idea only because it wouldn't litter the gun with names which in DayZ would probably cause massive in game issues or game crashes lol, I'm joking about the game crashes. But just having that one number and then going somewhere to look the number up to see how long that gun has been around or how many hands it pasted through would be cool.

It doesn't have to have the "engraving" visually on the weapon.  The list could be accessed on a separate screen/window.

So you'd pick up a weapon off a deceased player and then you could press a button and view the past owners/stats etc.

I'm also assuming that this could be coded in.  I'm not well-versed in that aspect of developing.