Duh...lets see...now this is a hard one, I think its called Dayz...wow that was hard.

I believe they're both correct. I use Zee.

American = Zee

Other english = Zed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z

EDIT: Now that I've read the wiki I change mine to "Day Izzard!" Izzard's the new zee' date=' yo.

[/quote']

Don't you mean American = Zee

Correct english = Zed

:P

surely it's pronounced 'Days' ?

you dont pronounce the Z on its own in other words, "Zee-ombie" . "Zed-ombie" , "Zee-oo" , "Zed-oo"

I personally call it Day-Zee but some of the people I hang out with call it Day-Zed since the people I play with come from all different countries and backgrounds. I don't mind either way, but for some reason I absolutely hate when people call zombies zeds. I am not sure why, as it seems like a half decent shortening of zombie and I have heard it for years.

EDIT::: Had accidentally quoted myself somehow, ignore that if you saw it.

i don't think i've ever seen the title of a game argued over before

i also don't think i've seen people disagree with how the actual developer has pronounced his product

this magical game continues to break new ground

Depends on your pronunciation of the letter Z.

Having pronounced it Zed for 27 years, don't see much reason to start saying 'Zee'.

Day Zed.

Zee is American' date=' retarded, douche baggery.

It probably changed to zee over zed after the mass influx of German immigrants after the seven years war.

[/quote']

That's the most ignorant thing I have ever read.

Which part was ignorant and to claim it's the MOST ignorant thing you have ever read is a big claim.

How about you prove to me that it is ignorant with bullet points then i will prove to you that you're wrong on everyone of them.

Here, this is your logic....

You're racist! obtuse! bigoted! ignorant! la, la, la, la, eeeeeh-ooooor!, eeeeeh-oooooor!, Bhaaaaa!, Bhaaaaaa!

Stop using buzz words, it shows your IQ to be below average.

I've had a fair few arguments on Youtube to know that little mugs all come out with the same shit. If you want to win don't use ad hominem, prove me wrong by all means.

I say DayZee because my best friend's ex's name is Daisy and his current gf doesn't like her so I like to mess with her head.

Hello all

Call me outmoded but I pronounce it "DAYS"

Although does it matter in the scheme of things?

Perhaps it's a sandbox title, so we can say it the way we want?

Rgds

LoK

The official one is Daisy, just FYI.

I've never had the occasion to actually say it but I would say it Day(pause)Zee.

Yes, it still kind of sounds like daisy, but the pause gives it a two word feeling.

i am gonna join the army of daisies flower power will rescue this world !

I pronounce it "DayZed" as well, although it's not the official pronounciation. It just sounds a littler harder to me than the soft "zee", plus zombies are often referred to as "zeds" not as "zees". But that's just personal preference.

Day Zed.

Zee is American' date=' retarded, douche baggery.

It probably changed to zee over zed after the mass influx of German immigrants after the seven years war.

[/quote']

Well, in German the letter 'Z' is pronounced 'tsett' which is a lot closer to "zed" than to "zee". That would speak against your theory.

I pronounce it "DayZed" as well' date=' although it's not the official pronounciation. It just sounds a littler harder to me than the soft "zee", plus zombies are often referred to as "zeds" not as "zees". But that's just personal preference.

Day Zed.

Zee is American, retarded, douche baggery.

Well, in German the letter 'Z' is pronounced 'tsett' which is a lot closer to "zed" than to "zee". That would speak against your theory.

Yes, but not when the German is pronouncing ENGLISH words. Think arnie when he first went to America in conan the barbarian, provincial as fuck.

Allot of immigrants into America added many words and ways of talking differently, the Italians,the Irish, the Germans, the French and obviously the English.

At the end of the day the Americans are wrong because it's ZED not ZEE, just like it's colour or flavour, harbour, honour, humour, labour, neighbour, rumour etc why drop the U ?

There are many words they changed because people couldn't spell in the 1800's, they were too busy killing Indians to learn at the time, stealing their land and gold, then they turned on each-other and had a civil war then united to finish off the Indians, you Americans make me lol.

But then you could say it was down to the British because in the war of 1812 when the professional American army invaded Canada and the Canadian and French farmers kicked the American armies arse back over the border (mission failed), the british fleet turned up with an Army and then counter attacked, we took the entire east coast down to florida, Americans fled for their lives (mission won). We pressed hard and forced a peace treaty with full trade and mineral rights (win,win,win).

Not to mention we burned down your presidential house, then you got your slaves to white wash it, hence white house, as i've mentioned slaves, the British in the war of 1812 freed 60000 slaves from American slave owners, 30k died in battle and the other 30k the British transported back home to Africa.

Still think i'm ignorant?

I pronounce it "DayZed" as well' date=' although it's not the official pronounciation. It just sounds a littler harder to me than the soft "zee", plus zombies are often referred to as "zeds" not as "zees". But that's just personal preference.

Day Zed.

Zee is American, retarded, douche baggery.

Yes, but not when the German is pronouncing ENGLISH words. Think arnie when he first went to America in conan the barbarian, provincial as fuck.

Allot of immigrants into America added many words and ways of talking differently, the Italians,the Irish, the Germans, the French and obviously the English.

At the end of the day the Americans are wrong because it's ZED not ZEE, just like it's colour or flavour, harbour, honour, humour, labour, neighbour, rumour etc why drop the U ?

There are many words they changed because people couldn't spell in the 1800's, they were too busy killing Indians to learn at the time, stealing their land and gold, then they turned on each-other and had a civil war then united to finish off the Indians, you Americans make me lol.

I'm just saying that your theory does not work as well as you'd want it to. While Arnorld Schwarzenegger is an entertaining (Austrian) example, he is not necessarily a very fitting one.

You see, when Germans say "zee" in English, they actually try to pronounce "the". Because the dental fricative "th" is not part of their mother tongue and they have no sound close to it, they switch to this other pronounciation, exchanging it for a soft [z].

"Zed" however is very close their own 'Z' (tsett), so they would not bother changing the vowel from an [ɛ] to an , as thy usually also do not change their hard [ts] to the soft [z].

As German is a very hard sounding language and they usually have problems adjusting to the softer English tone, I find it far more likely that the change (or rather variation) in pronounciation was imported from the French language.

Don't be so aggressive in your tone against America (I'm German btw, hi!), it does not help. I never accused you of being ignorant. Also this is probably the wrong part of the forum to discuss linguistics or American history (as much as there would be to discuss), so we should leave it at that. :D

As German is a very hard sounding language and they usually have problems adjusting to the softer English tone, I find it far more likely that the change (or rather variation) in pronounciation was imported from the French language.

Don't be so aggressive in your tone against America (I'm German btw, hi!), it does not help. I never accused you of being ignorant. Also this is probably the wrong part of the forum to discuss linguistics or American history (as much as there would be to discuss), so we should leave it at that. :D

Well i come from the most Germanic part of England, the north east. We have kept our accent and still mostly speak anglo-saxon words in our slang and everyday talk, so what is that, 640ad and onwards?

We say Zed and we're right.

The very first idea of being English was first written on the banks of the river tyne in newcastle upon tyne, before then we were jutes,angles,saxons and an assortment of brythonic tribes.

The saxon invasion was in 640ad BUT the romans hired saxon and angle mercs in 43ad to act as auxillary troops to guard hadrians wall and in return were given land in newcastle upon tyne as reward for over 400yrs until the fall of the Roman empire. So you could say the people from newcastle were English BEFORE the English even existed!

i call it DayZee. DayZed sounds stupid

I'd say there's no right or wrong, just variations in language that differ due to changes over time in culture and location. There's words here in northern Germany that they never heard of in Bavaria, but I would not accuse them of making a mistake using their local variant of something. My point was that it is unlikely that Germans introduced the "zee", as they use the harder "zed" as well, whereas French is a little softer overall, so might better fit your theory.

Nonetheless I'll stick with "zed" as well, I just like it better.

Why is there posts about German immigrants in this thread.

I don't even.

Yeah, supwiththat? :huh: