ParkwayNightmare

Wouldn't this work?

Okay, so I am hoping someone on the DayZ team actually sees this. I figured if I can’t make a post on their own forum in hopes of them seeing this and responding, then why even have one? But regardless let’s get to it.... now someone might have already mentioned this prior. I’m new here, so I haven’t exactly explored everything on here yet... 

Now in my mind wouldn’t implementing a character lock to specific servers stop a lot of problems we are facing on consoles? For example, say if I click on server NY 1 then it should have me create a character and name them. Then on my server list it should no longer show NY 1 but instead that characters name. Now say I log out of NY 1 and into SJ 7 then it should be a whole new process of creating a character and naming them. Then you’re a new spawn on the beach. Make sense? For all I know that could be a massive headache on the coding side, I don’t know. I don’t know how that whole process works.. but to me that would make base building actually worthwhile, it would stop server hopping and even duping. Thus crossing off 3 major things and even giving us character customization.

I like the idea but hate it, i think they should have a few locked servers for the people who wanna play that way and open servers for who wants to play like that

What would be the difference between your locked and open servers? I’m not trying to sound confrontational but I don’t see what a difference would make between the two.. 

Locked servers would stop server hopping, ghosting and all the ways of duping that work by switching servers

47 minutes ago, ParkwayNightmare said:

What would be the difference between your locked and open servers? I’m not trying to sound confrontational but I don’t see what a difference would make between the two.. 

If a server is locked you can't go onto another server with the same character..... Which means no ghosting and would for a short time reduce and possibly stop duping in the current popular manner.....

There are lots of reasons people choose to change server. But imagine being locked in a server which becomes low pop. I guess ultimately it isn't a big deal of you could have other characters on other servers. I currently have two characters. One I use if I'm  playing with a friend. We log off and on together so that we don't spend the entire game night making our way to each other. My second character is my solo character for when my mate isn't online. 

58 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

There are lots of reasons people choose to change server. But imagine being locked in a server which becomes low pop. I guess ultimately it isn't a big deal of you could have other characters on other servers. I currently have two characters. One I use if I'm  playing with a friend. We log off and on together so that we don't spend the entire game night making our way to each other. My second character is my solo character for when my mate isn't online. 

How do you go about and create two different characters? Is that something exclusive to PC/Xbox?

Server locked chars may be a solution, but those issues would just end up not getting fixed which could lead to other problems. Also, the amount of data to save each char and gear etc would drastically go up. Idk about DayZs data collection, but i do know a bit of elite dangerous since they ( frontier devs ) talked about such things. All of the elite players ( a couple thousand on pc/ps4/Xbox ) already causing TBs of data 2-5 or something ( not sure ) each day.

But: DayZ does work completely different than the data "have to save everything for the background simulation" monster ED ( systems u discovered, faction standing etc etc etc ) so idk how much data would be required.

A local data storage could be an option, but could also be used one day to manipulate ur data to get advantages and stuff like that.

• Like 1

The devs talked about this in a livestream, apparently making people locked to servers would make it to hard for friends to meetup, among other small reasons that are somehow more important then the game breaking bugs locked servers would fix. 1.04 is somewhat fixing server hopping, hopefully duping aswell, so maybe locked servers wont be needed soon, i doubt that though.

Edited by Robzom11

57 minutes ago, bossefraise said:

How do you go about and create two different characters? Is that something exclusive to PC/Xbox?

I have two xbox accounts, mine and my sons. Obviously there are people probably with multiple accounts, fully geared with duped gear hanging around factory and switching profile if they get killed to seek revenge. I'd like to say idiotic teenagers, but I actually met some pretty cool teenagers the other day. We teamed up as new spawns to take on some bambi killing dupers at factory. We obviously got screwed taking on svd's with a can of beans, but we had fun. All I will say though is that the aforementioned dupers were really bad shots and probably wasted three mags to kill one person. I'm pretty sure they'll get bored and fuck off when duping gets fixed. 

Edited by DayzDayzFanboy

Ah, I see. Thanks for the reply.

And I do hope you’re right regarding dupers loosing interest once the next patch is implemented. Keeping my fingers crossed. 😉

Edited by bossefraise

Someone said duping can be done with switching profiles, so no need to even disconnect from the server. 

Private servers for a few selected players is the only thing that will work. 

I’m still not seeing how having a character lock would make it any different “meeting up with friends” than how it is now.. if anything in my mind, it would make it somewhat easier. Because then you could actually establish a base, then just use that as a central meeting point. When I play now, yeah it can suck spending time to run across the map to meetup with a friend, but I am still able to with next to no issues. How would locking a specific character change that? It wouldn’t.. 

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I wanted to also remark on the point made earlier.. I completely forgot about it when I said about meeting up with friends..

Now the whole data storage aspect side of it, now that part in a way makes sense. That could be crazy hard to track all that, unless it was somehow set up so your specific persons data (ie what you name them, what you make them look like, what server number) was all saved on your hard drive. Then when you go to play the game kind of “fills in the blank,” if you will, by showing said characters name instead of server number. I also think that would deter a lot of people of wanting to go through the hassle of creating tons of characters.. Where now you have free range to come and go as you please to any server, any region. The general public are lazy, they wouldn’t want to make a whole new person and spend that time just to not play at night time in the game. Hell, you could even have a total random setting before hand too. Don’t care what you look like and just wanna play? Hit that button and good luck... 

I guess I just don’t get it.. to me that kills 4 birds with 1 stone and probably a hailstorm of pebbles followed there after in the form of “patches” of course. I mean, yeah there will be issues. There always are, but that would put a big halt to a lot of this crap that’s going on right now.