Sign in to follow this  
repzaj1234

I'm currently creating a "lightweight" zombie spawn mod to spice things up in Chernarus. Let me know what you think.

My main goal is to fill out the emptiness in some parts of the game without hamstringing server performance.

Key Features:

• Cities will seem more infested. I've added on average 2-3 new spawn points for each major city that will dynamically spawn anywhere from 4-8 zombies in the surrounding area. This will make the cities more dangerous but not impossible to do. Keep on your toes and be mindful where you shoot and you'll be fine.
  • There will be dynamic "hot zones" in the 3 coastal cities. A hot zone will spawn anywhere from 5-15 additional zombies in the area. These are located at the Cherno clocktower, Elektro Square and around the Berezino Hospital. I made it so that these areas are not constantly infested. So you might go there one day and there'll only be 6 additional zeds, come back the next day and you might see 14 extra.
  • Slightly increased zombie populations in military areas to add difficulty to military runs as well as to add another dynamic to PvP encounters there. I've added a spawn point to each military area that will spawn an additional 4-8 military zombies. You might see more in the coastal military areas to balance them out. You ever wonder why Balota, Cherno, Kamenka and Pavlovo military areas are so easily accessible so near the coast? They won't be such a walk in the park anymore.
  • You'll be seeing "straggler" zombies along the outskirts of the bigger cities and towns. Each spawn point will dynamically spawn 0-3 zombies in a wide area. There's a chance where you might see them one day, and the next day you roll 0. Adds to the atmosphere imo.
  • The smaller villages and towns are untouched. Does not make sense to have more zombies in a remote village. Their deserted atmosphere is already perfect imo.

Disclaimer to the cautious server owner:

• Vanilla zombie spawn values and points are untouched (Easy to update vanilla values if the devs tweak their numbers)
  • Animal spawns are untouched and I've avoided overlapping them with the new zombie spawn points.
  • Dramatically reduced the amount of static and dynamic zombie spawns added by the original ZombieSpawnOverhaul mod by more than half. Static zombie spawns have been removed except in military loot areas. (Static spawns are zombies that will always spawn in an area regardless of player proximity and other factors. Dynamic spawns rely on certain factors, player proximity is one of them (Not entirely sure what the rest are, probably gunshots).
  • I'll be releasing a detailed list of the exact zombie counts and exact locations with coordinates of the new spawn points once I figure out some things and finish this thing.

This will be a LITE version of the mod ZombieSpawnOverhaul (Credits to Robbhimself for the mod and for allowing me to edit it)

Let me know what you think, I honestly just want the game to feel more like a zombie survival game so I made this performance friendly version that can hopefully be supported by the higher population servers. If you think it'll run into some issues, have suggestions or if the numbers need tweaking just let me know. If someone more skilled in modding wants to take over as well, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll gladly hand the files over.

Currently running into some hiccups. I've unpacked the worlds.chernarusplus_ai.pbo and repacked it with the edited .xml file using PBO manager. When I repacked it, it gave me a warning saying the digital signature will be voided. From googling it, I learned that this was normal and I'll just have to sign the pbo with a private key. I've downloaded DayZ tools, generated my own private key using DSUtils. I loaded the pbo and tried to sign it but it fails to sign. Here is what I'm getting

PczdSMP.png

Couple of things to note, the pbo has been signed by another modder before. I'm merely editing his work, with permission of course. Not sure if that could be an issue. I've looked up youtube videos on how to do this, they're using Arma3 tools but I'm guessing DayZ tools is just a modified version of that so I went on and followed the instructions but still no dice. Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Edited by repzaj1234
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this.  It sounds really interesting so keep up the good work.

Do you think there is a way to have zombie pops more persistent?  What I mean is that I think it would be really cool if you could essentially clear a zone and it would remain cleared for a longer period of time rather than how it is currently where if you leave and come back the zombies are back again.  

That is unfortunately not in the zombie_territories.xml. Respawn rates are way too quick IMO.

• Like 1

Not sure if you deleted the original signature file first?

I haven't tried resigning but had a heck of a time getting .pbos repacked until I figured out the utilities won't overwrite a file with the same name.

When you say signature file.. is it the worlds_chernarusplus_ai.pbo.yourname.bisign file inside the addons folder where the pbo is?

24 minutes ago, repzaj1234 said:

When you say signature file.. is it the worlds_chernarusplus_ai.pbo.yourname.bisign file inside the addons folder where the pbo is?

Yeah the one that's not a .pbo but has the same name,  just a hunch because addon builder wouldn't overwrite a .pbo  and just gave a vague error.

I'm guessing the DSeditor might have the same problem?

I'm working on something similar although I'll probably never finish anything worth sharing so the signature is a non issue for me at this point. I just noticed the tools don't like overwriting stuff, if there's and existing file you're replacing, rename or deleting it might be worth a try.

Ah god damn it, It said it was signed properly but turns out it wasnt. Publisher still said signatures were valid tho. I dont have time for this anymore, if anyone wants to take over here is my zombie_territories.xml file.

https://pastebin.com/87hcmt7U