WalkerDown (DayZ)

Removing stuff off-map

I'd voice against a kill timer on invisible walls.

My vote is on hiding the save option from vehicles/tents when they are off-map.

To be honest' date=' I've never understood why people put their camps all the way out in those barren fields. It, literally, makes no sense. If a good team of spotters goes up, the camp would be clean in an hour flat on foot.

[/quote']

If the outside of the map were completley flat I'd agree with you, but because of the massive rolling hills and the sheer area there is to cover it makes it very difficult.

Been thinking for a while how to deal with this. The most easy solution (which would fix multiple issues in 1 go) is to not have any object or player data update when off the map.

This would mean that a vehicle doesn't save anymore the moment it crosses the border, objects don't get stored and player locations will have their last save point where they ran off the map.

This also means people in the debug forest will spawn back where they were on the next load in OR the beach area, but at least you won't keep popping up off the map non-stop.

Hello all

In an open sandbox game, why not let folk store their items there if they want?

IMHO it's a rather obvious and silly place to store stuff as there is no cover whatsoever.

It's an obvious place to hunt for good gear that "leet" folk have hidden there thinking they are bright and are cool as they are semi "exploiting".

For eg, in Tonic's wasteland map, for a while it became the "place to be" for some players.

They always got raided and lost everything.

IMHO it's a flash in the pan and once folk start trawling the boarders for good gear the "leets" will realise their mistake and it will be less of an issue.

Rgds

LoK

Been thinking for a while how to deal with this. The most easy solution (which would fix multiple issues in 1 go) is to not have any object or player data update when off the map.

This would mean that a vehicle doesn't save anymore the moment it crosses the border' date=' objects don't get stored and player locations will have their last save point where they ran off the map.

This also means people in the debug forest will spawn back where they were on the next load in OR the beach area, but at least you won't keep popping up off the map non-stop.

[/quote']

Yes, this. Really hope changes are made to this in an upcoming patch. When you're all kitted up and not interested in deathmatching, there's not much to do at the moment. A better chance of finding vehicles etc would instantly make the game better. Also, why not just make vehicles more common in the first place?

What about places like Pabeda Dam that are off the map but still detailed areas?

It's not off the map.

It's just off most out of game maps.

Press M.

This would mean that a vehicle doesn't save anymore the moment it crosses the border' date=' objects don't get stored and player locations will have their last save point where they ran off the map.

[/quote']

Would there be a forced save if the out-of-bounds player dies? It seems like if they died out there they would just resume their current character the moment they re-log. Seems like a perfectly fine fix though, still gives people the chance to monkey around out there if they really want to, but they can't make any real use of it.

OFF Map starts when vegetation stops ie grass and trees

There should be a warning in place popping up advising you "Warning you are leaving the battle zone, Items will not be saved beyond this point" Similar to many other games, giving you the heads up when you're out of bounds.

And I agree that all off map Items should be deleted as it's not really in the battle zone.

As for the players being off map, I've seen Vipeax post a reply regarding players spawning in dessert (approx 28K from Chernarus, I've been there) will be move to in patches to come with their gear untouched. Coz he checked this with another Dev member.

The Map is big enough no need to go off map coz that just means you're GREADY...

[/quote']

best solution because it kills 2 birds with one stone :D

Anybody who says its fine to put your stuff out there and says it would be "easy to find" hasn't had a vehicle and gone driving up there. It is massive the area there is km after km of rolling hills so even if you get on top of a high hill you can't see more then 1km or two.

My roommate and I spent like 3 hours driving around there looking for peoples camps. We didn't find anything. And no I don't store my vehicles up there because I consider it cheating.

I've since lost that truck and ATV from my camp that was ON map lol.

Hello all

In an open sandbox game' date=' why not let folk store their items there if they want?

IMHO it's a rather obvious and silly place to store stuff as there is no cover whatsoever.

It's an obvious place to hunt for good gear that "leet" folk have hidden there thinking they are bright and are cool as they are semi "exploiting".

For eg, in Tonic's wasteland map, for a while it became the "place to be" for some players.

IMHO it's a flash in the pan and once folk start trawling the boarders for good gear the "leets" will realise their mistake and it will be less of an issue.

Rgds

LoK

[/quote']

I will never understand why people consider this a sandbox game... Garry's Mod is a sandbox. This is not. It's a *realistic*(take that word with a grain of salt) military sim zombie survival mod. Anyone who tries to hoard shit out there should be given ban warnings in my opinion seeing as it can completely ruin the chance of any other group of people getting to EVER use a vehicle on that said server. I don't know about the other 400,000 people playing this game but I like to use vehicles too. (When I can find them)

Hello all

In an open sandbox game' date=' why not let folk store their items there if they want?[/quote']

Cuz its OUTSIDE of the sandbox. I dont see how this zombie mod can be so fun when you can hide your stuff in a void outside of the world.

Isn't the point of this sim to immerse yourself into this world? Instead of trying to find ways to get out of it?

If it was so OBVIOUS people wouldnt be looking for cars on map for weeks.

What the hell is "semi exploiting"? Your either exploiting or not.

Remind me again what game this forum is for?

IMHO it's a flash in the pan and once folk start trawling the boarders for good gear the "leets" will realise their mistake and it will be less of an issue

Rgds

LoK

Yup everyone should just give up on what there doing in game and should start tediously walking around the off map area looking for cars so they can actually PLAY the game with them.

[/quote']

Any chance to have this implemented in the upcoming patch? Actually many vehicles are packed there, and it's a vicious circle: if you don't own a vehicle already, you can't go there to find a vehicle (!).

Should just implement the "kill after 30s of being out of range mechanic" that supposedly already exists in tens of mods already. Long overdue-sauce?

this. A simple counter as in many of arma2 missions

[/quote']

Wouldnt a counter be better that kills you after X amount of seconds ?

Off map is the area where nothing is programmed into the game but can still be walked into or driven into. It contains only featureless hills with no trees or even grass.

And I agree that nothing should be allowed to be saved off map. This is why it is so hard to find vehicles on most servers' date=' groups have moved all of the vehicles a few miles outside of the play area to horde them.

[/quote']

LOOOOOOOOL SO THAT WHAT THAT PLACE WAS!

my first time playing this game i got epically lost at one of those areas. i was climbing a huge mountain like hill that didnt have trees/grass on them. on the other side i seen a large river. when i was trying to get help i kept telling ppl "im by a large rivver on top of a gigantic, mountain like hill". and they kept telling me "there is no river on the map bro". and i thought they were trolling me (because clearly i seen the river) so i respawned cuz i didnt know where the fuck i was and neither did anyone else.

was confused about that till now.

Wouldnt a counter be better that kills you after X amount of seconds ?

I don't see why someone isn't allowed to drive over those plains to go from South West to North East unseen. I'd say it's a valid route to take to get to your destination, but not make IT your destination.

Yeah; I don't necessarily think people should be building cities out there, but I don't see anything wrong with traveling through. If you have the fuel to spare and you're willing to risk being completely and totally exposed to fire from over 2km away in any direction, then more power to you.

It's almost never going to be the most efficient route, but sometimes it might help to pop out and take advantage of the increased vehicle speed.

Only one flaw with instanty stopping saving at the map border.

Example: players a and b go to the map edge. Player a steps outside the map, player b kills him, loots him. Player a respawns at his last spot on the map edge. Player b then walks back across the map border and saves with his gear, effectively duplicating player a's loot.

My proposed fix, disable interactions outside the map some way. Make anything that hits the ground despawn, or transferred loot vanish. Hopefully these would be feasible without disabling driving outside the map to speed around as Vipeax said. We don't want any way to exploit lack of saving.

We should squash this potential bug before dupers have time to figure it out.

Edit:

Another solution, if on foot drop gear at map edge, similar to water, except everything. Then you can pick it back up, no duping, and vehicles render you immune. Just don't exit vehicle in the off grid area, like not exiting a boat on the water.

Giving notice at all is a HUGE blessing to a lot of people. Not myself because I don't ever go off map. I will not rely on an exploit that everyone knows will be patched out.

Stop the alt-f4 and ghosting issues and we will really have something here.

Could the easiest solution be just putting OCEAN there where the treeline ends and vast plains begin? That way no need to code anything extra to it.

Example: players a and b go to the map edge. Player a steps outside the map' date=' player b kills him, loots him. Player a respawns at his last spot on the map edge. Player b then walks back across the map border and saves with his gear, effectively duplicating player a's loot.

[/quote']

Talking about updating location data, the rest will obviously remain being updated.